Build SAS Expansion module - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 11-28-2008, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know how to build a SAS Expansion Module (Enclosure)?

I don't want to build a server, I want my server in a separate chassis from the External Storage with the capacity to easily expand by adding additional Enclosures in a daisy chain fashion. That's where the SAS Expansion Module fits in.

It seems to me with a SAS HBA in a server, if I knew how to build a SAS Expansion Module, which from what I understand should be a much simpler build than a server, (I don't think you would need a separate processor, memory, or motherboard, etc. in the Expansion Module enclosure....) just a chassis, power supply, SAS Backplane and some type of controller board to control the power to startup the hard disks installed. I think the controller board would allow connection to the HBA in the server and provide down stream expansion ports for daisy chaining. Especially with the new HBA's with integrated Expansion capability on the HBA itself... This is what I think the Dell MD1000 is like...But I'd like to build it myself. I've looked all over and I can't find any information relating on how to build this type of enclosure.

What I'm misunderstanding?

Thanks,
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page