EDID Override Thread - Page 114 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-25-2015, 11:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Older amp, can't get EDID from it...

Hi all,

I've been beating my head against this for a couple evenings now, no luck.

Short version: new TV and HTPC, old 5.1 receiver, "stuck" at 2 channel sound. Anyone got a fairly generic 1080p@60Hz (or even 120Hz) + 5.1 channel Dolby sound inf file floating around? All the files I've found recently are either higher end 7.1 channel sound systems, or 3D TVs...

Long version, starting with the HTPC's relevant components:
OS: Windows 10 (known issue with surround sound over optical, hopefully fixed in the next few months)
Mobo: Asrock H97m-itx/ac motherboard with Realtek HD Audio built in (Tried using the optical out)
Video card: Geforce GTX-960 video card (HDMI output
TV: Vizio m552i-b2 (52" LED, can do 120hz real refresh rate)
Sound system: old Yamaha HTR-5250 receiver, optical or coax inputs (or external decoder 6 inputs), 5.1 speakers.

So far I've tried:
* Video to the TV over HDMI, audio from onboard Realtek direct to the receiver via optical (5.1 sound in some cases, open Windows 10 bug prevents it from working full-time)
* Video to the TV over DisplayPort(PC)->HDMI(TV) converter, audio from onboard Realtek direct via optical (same problem as above)
* Video to the TV over HDMI, audio from GTX-960 via same HMDI cable to TV, from there to the receiver via optical (TV set up for "bitstream" passthrough according to user's manual, worked great on the Xbox 360). With this setup, it handshakes, sees just the 2 speakers in the TV and won't even let me select a 5.1 config, not even available.
* Same config as above, but using an extended EDID inf file created with moninfo.exe... However, I think without an HDMI connection between the HTPC and receiver, it was "seeing" it, so same behavior as previous setup.

Since the HTPC and TV are fairly new, I'm scared to just start trying various inf files I see in this and other threads... I don't want to let the smoke out or brick anything! Manually editing the raw data in the inf and using moninfo to see how it was interpreted wasn't getting me anywhere very quickly...

Any gurus willing to volunteer, help me build an EDID override that can do 1080p@60Hz (or even up to a true @120 Hz), and 5.1 sound, (no 7.1)? Moninfo output added below, forum is saying I can't attach files or links until I hit 5 posts...

Cheers!
-Troy
Spoiler!
Attached Files
File Type: txt moninfo.txt (7.7 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2015, 10:33 PM

I have a similar problem. I have a Sony XBR52HX909 that has an optical out that will bitstream DD and DTS to my receiver. A previous Patriot Box Office media player ignored the EDID and sent the audio track via HDMI as DD which was then passed through to the optical connection. New Windows 10 Dell Alpha box with NVidia GFX will only read the TV as 2 channel. Interestingly, the MONINFO output shows the extended block as:

Monitor
Model name............... SONY TV
Windows description...... Generic PnP Monitor
Manufacturer............. Sony
Plug and Play ID......... SNYFD01
Serial number............ n/a
Manufacture date......... 2010, ISO week 1
Filter driver............ None
-------------------------
EDID revision............ 1.3
Input signal type........ Digital
Color bit depth.......... Undefined
Display type............. RGB color
Screen size.............. 1440 x 810 mm (65.0 in)
Power management......... Not supported
Extension blocs.......... 1 (Unknown type)

Any idea of how I can create a replacement INF that would have the correct audio info since the current block is non-standard?

Thanks
Old 08-30-2015, 05:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 97
An EDID override is required only if multichannel compressed formats (DD and DTS) are NOT listed for the HDMI audio device in the audio properties. 2 channels means the maximum bandwidth for uncompressed audio (LPCM) for S/PDIF. If needed look for an EDID override with a compatible TV.

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
Old 09-02-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli View Post
An EDID override is required only if multichannel compressed formats (DD and DTS) are NOT listed for the HDMI audio device
That would be my case, correct? I've got a 5.1 audio system, but since Windows is just seeing the 2 channels built into the TV, I don't have DD or DTS listed in my audio section? Do you have any suggestions for what a "compatible" TV might be? All the EDID overrides I've found so far are either 7.1 channels or 3D Tvs, and I've not sure what effects that might have. :-(
Old Yesterday, 04:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 97
There's an EDID override for Vizio SV420m (not 3d capable) in my sig. Audio is no problem, just manuanlly set it to 5.1.

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)