2Likes

post #811 of 3183 Old 06-09-2010, 04:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgy Bob View Post

I have a HTPC (Gigabyte MA78G-DS3H with onboard ATI HD3200)

During this time the properties for the HDMI device had DD/DTS/WMA in the supported formats, but only 2 channels.

None of this has made any difference. I simply cannot get anything other than 2 channel PCM over the HDMI from Windows 7 (only PowerDVD) and it's starting to frustrate me. I really don't want to re-install the HTPC again using Vista so was wondering if you could help?

2-channel PCM is all the HD 3200 is capable of. You'll get DD 5.1 through PowerDVD but not 5.1 PCM. You've got all you're going to get.

Happy owner of an HP PL-4260N that I won from HP in an online sweepstakes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 3183 Old 06-09-2010, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli View Post

Have you already cleaned up any greyed-out monitor driver on Device Manager? If not follow uninstall instructions from link in my sig. (check the option to delete driver files if available). Uninstall current GenericPnp monitor driver too. Then reboot.

Initially there was a single monitor showing in Device Manager - Genericpnp. This has been replaced by the modified EDID driver. Should I uninstall this and reboot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilts View Post

2-channel PCM is all the HD 3200 is capable of. You'll get DD 5.1 through PowerDVD but not 5.1 PCM. You've got all you're going to get.

But I had DD and DTS output from Windows Media Player and MediaPortal (using ffdshow) under Vista, why not under Windows 7?
post #813 of 3183 Old 06-09-2010, 04:44 AM

Quote:

Initially there was a single monitor showing in Device Manager - Genericpnp. This has been replaced by the modified EDID driver. Should I uninstall this and reboot?

But I had DD and DTS output from Windows Media Player and MediaPortal (using ffdshow) under Vista, why not under Windows 7?

DD <> PCM. The Dolby Digital signal is passed straight from the source media to the receiver without doing anything to it. You still have that on Windows 7. PCM is handled by software and the HD3200 can't handle it.

Happy owner of an HP PL-4260N that I won from HP in an online sweepstakes!
post #814 of 3183 Old 06-09-2010, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilts View Post

DD <> PCM. The Dolby Digital signal is passed straight from the source media to the receiver without doing anything to it. You still have that on Windows 7. PCM is handled by software and the HD3200 can't handle it.

But my issue is I CAN'T get DD from Windows 7. No matter what I do all I get is 2 channel PCM. I know I should be able to (as I did in Vista) but I can't. I want DD/DTS, I don't want 2 channel PCM. Despite setting ffdshow/AC3filter/whatever to do passthru, it doesn't. Everything is being converted (I guess) to 2 channel PCM.
post #815 of 3183 Old 06-09-2010, 05:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

Yes, and every other GenericPnP instance, so that no EDID entry is present in the registry. You then let Windows re-detect the current monitor, either manually or by rebooting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
post #816 of 3183 Old 06-09-2010, 05:37 AM

OK, I've uninstalled (and deleted) the EDID monitor, the only one there was. I can't redetect yet as I'm in work (connecting to HTPC over VNC) and the amp is switched off.

Edit : My son was at home and I got him to switch on the amp (but not the TV). It's been detected as Generic PnP Monitor.
post #817 of 3183 Old 06-09-2010, 05:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Just in case also uninstall any greyed-out GenericPnP monitor driver to remove registry leftovers (see uninstall procedure - section 4 - in my sig.). This way you make sure that there's really only one possible Windows EDID association with your display device.

If the Onkyo HDMI is not set to pass-through the TV EDID (which I think it is not, as it works with PDVD8, right?) you should see now the options for 5.1 and 7.1 available for the Windows HDMI device.

If you still only get 2 channels then the problem is definitely HDMI audio driver related.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #818 of 3183 Old 06-09-2010, 07:13 AM

Using the method to uninstall in your sig. there are no greyed out monitors, only the single "Generic PnP Monitor" now.

right-clicking the Realtek icon in the system tray and selecting "Audio Devices" -> selecting ATI HDMI Output -> clicking configure, I can only select stereo. Going back one step and clicking properties and then selecting the "Supported Formats" tab shows Max Number Channels = 2 and Encoded Formats = Dolby Digital.

Thanks for your time btw
post #819 of 3183 Old 06-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Sorry to cross post this, but I think that an EDID override might be what I need to do, and I just want to get the master's opinion; is what I'm seeing a problem with the EDID that's causing 7MC to mess with resolutions (because it thinks that the "monitor" (TV) & AVR isn't capable of the resolution?

Original problem:

Ahh, the pain.. I decided I needed to install 7MC (I had a perfectly good VMC before this) in preparation for the release of the quad tuner DC adapter.. And forgot how much fun it is to configure one of these things!

Anyway, stupid problem. TV does not allow for "pixel perfect" 1920X1080. I usually set the overscan in CCC to compensate for this, and everything is fine.. UNTIL.. I start 7MC and it feels the need to mess with the resolution (there's change of resolution as the application starts) and the overscan settings (it's way off).

I would like to prevent 7MC from making any overscan adjustments or resolution changes (or, alternatively, just tell it to use the same resolution as the desktop and have it listen to me!). I had this configured in VMC, but I remember it was a PITA. I just can't get 7MC to stop trying to correct for overscan.. How can I tell it to leave the resolution and overscan settings alone when starting/playing videos?

I've done this once, so if you can just point me in the right direction, I'm sure I can figure it out again..

More details:

I am running 1080P w/overscan correction on in CCC. Desktop looks "OK" (because of the scaling). I'd like the resolution to "carry" from the desktop to media center.

Anyway, I've found something really intersting today. I can setup media center and get it to look "good" now. But I can't get the setting to "stick". I'll reconfigure media center, everything will look great.. Play a few videos/etc.. No problem.

Then, I exit media center.. Again, no problem, everything still looks fine. When I restart media center; for about 15 seconds, everything is great (correct resolution). Then.. For no reason at all, the desktop resizes to 1440X720 (I think) and everything looks like crap.

Any ideas why the resolution settings won't "stick". If I set up the TV every time I enter media center, it's perfect.. Why would they change when I exit and re-enter media center?

If I go into:

HKLM/SW/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Media Center/Settings/Display Settings

I can see the resolution. I change the resolution (inside MC) and then exit the program.. When I look in the key (above) I see the resolution change (that I just put in) and the correct settings.

When I then (after shutting down media center) restart MC, the resolution changes (inside MC). I immediately see the change in this registry key as well. It's like, when I start Media Center, it goes in and automatically changes this registry key?

I did a custom resolution (and tried another stock one) just to make sure; nothing seems to have any effect on it; as soon as I exit and re-open MC the resolution is changed (from anything that I set the last time I was in there). Also, I tried "re-run setup" in Media Center to no success. I'm logged into the machine on an account with Administrator privs.

It's the START of Media Center that changes the resolution (and the registry keys). Exiting MC doesn't have any effect on the keys (they maintain the correct values).

Is an override of the EDID (creating a custom monitor setting) going to fix this problem? I tried to do it already, but there may be some other steps I need to follow (I was in a hurry) to remove the old information.

Thanks for the help; and sorry for the cross post; I'm just at my wits end, I need to know where to look to start digging out this problem.

Thx!

My Onkyo 3008 (non-professional) review

post #820 of 3183 Old 06-09-2010, 06:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Definitely not an EDID, but most probably a driver problem that's causing 7MC issues with the downscaled resolution.

Maybe a different ATI driver version will do.

post #821 of 3183 Old 06-09-2010, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I'll try that (re-install the drivers); and I'm also going to run the "cleanup" steps that you post; I have had other monitors attached to this computer; I'm wondering if that has something/anything to do with it.

This just doesn't make any sense.. Does 7MC do any type of display detection when it starts up? That's what it seems like; it's like it's trying to detect the correct resolution (rather than looking in the registry) and coming up with some crazy resolution that doesn't work correctly.

I think I'm going to try your cleanup steps.. If that doesn't work, I'm going to uninstall media center. And, if that doesn't work; I'm probably just going to re-build the computer. I'm sure it's something stuck somewhere in the registry; it's just, for whatever reason, not letting me keep the right resolution between "starts" of media center.

Quote:

Definitely not an EDID, but most probably a driver problem that's causing 7MC issues with the downscaled resolution.

Maybe a different ATI driver version will do.

My Onkyo 3008 (non-professional) review

post #822 of 3183 Old 06-10-2010, 12:24 AM

@Tulli :

Any ideas where to go from here? You say it's a driver problem. I've tried every catalyst from 10.1 - 10.5, I've tried with and without the Realtek HD audio drivers.

Can Vista really be the only answer? That Windows 7 is actually a backwards step?
post #823 of 3183 Old 06-10-2010, 03:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Are you sure the Onkyo HDMI is not set to pass-through the TV audio? It should be set to "AMP" or whatever value corresponds to no-TV audio passthrough.

Of course an EDID overrride should force 5.1/7.1 detection. Use this one just to try. If it works post your TV and Onkyo EDIDs and I'll do a custom mod for your setup:

Samsung LN46A650 - DENON 988

Try it and report back.

post #824 of 3183 Old 06-10-2010, 04:37 AM

I honestly don't know if the amp is set-up like that (I can't check until late tonight) all I can say is that nothing on it has changed since I was at Vista.

The EDID override I did (no idea if it was correct!) has now been removed (as per your instructions) and I only have the single default Generic PnP Monitor.

I'll try the .ini you supplied (many thanks) and let you know how it goes
post #825 of 3183 Old 06-10-2010, 05:02 AM

Right. I'm not entirely sure if what I'm doing is correct so I'll detail it here.

I put the .ini file you supplied in it's own folder on the desktop. In device manager I right clicked the Generic PnP monitor and clicked update driver. I chose browse my computer... -> let me pick... -> have disk, selected your .ini file, ok'd the warning and it installed ok. Device manager showed Samsung...(EDID override) as the monitor.

No difference, so I rebooted. Still no difference. So I went into device manager, it still showed the Samsung..(EDID override). I selected view hidden devices and then it also displayed the generic pnp monitor. I uninstalled this (leaving the Samsung...(EDID override)) and rebooted.

Still no difference. Went back into device manager and it showed only the generic pnp monitor, selected show hidden devices and the Samsung...(EDID override) was then also displayed.

When I say it made no difference above, what I mean is I checked the audio device by right-clicking on the realtek icon in the system tray -> audio devices -> selected the ATI HDMI device -> properties. It showed only 2 channels and only Dolby Digital. backing up one and selecting configure only allows stereo.

Did I install it correctly? Am I checking it right? Any help GREATLY appreciated!

EDIT : right clicking -> properties on the hidden Samsung...(EDID override) monitor gives a message of "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer."
post #826 of 3183 Old 06-11-2010, 08:54 AM

Can the EDID override help with an Samsung LNT-4661 not sticking at 1920x1080 res? more of a monitor driver?

Setup:

HTPC with Core i3 (8.15.10.2141 drivers) ------> Onkyo 608 ---> Samsung.

Dual monitors 1280x1024 4.3, and Samsung 1920x1080.

Win7 x64 sees the Samsung as an Generic PNP Monitor, and always reverts back to 1280x1024 resolution even in single display mode.

Should I try the generic EDID in the first post?
post #827 of 3183 Old 06-11-2010, 09:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Right. I'm not entirely sure if what I'm doing is correct so I'll detail it here.

I put the .ini file you supplied in it's own folder on the desktop. In device manager I right clicked the Generic PnP monitor and clicked update driver. I chose browse my computer... -> let me pick... -> have disk, selected your .ini file, ok'd the warning and it installed ok. Device manager showed Samsung...(EDID override) as the monitor.

No difference, so I rebooted. Still no difference. So I went into device manager, it still showed the Samsung..(EDID override). I selected view hidden devices and then it also displayed the generic pnp monitor. I uninstalled this (leaving the Samsung...(EDID override)) and rebooted.

Still no difference. Went back into device manager and it showed only the generic pnp monitor, selected show hidden devices and the Samsung...(EDID override) was then also displayed.

When I say it made no difference above, what I mean is I checked the audio device by right-clicking on the realtek icon in the system tray -> audio devices -> selected the ATI HDMI device -> properties. It showed only 2 channels and only Dolby Digital. backing up one and selecting configure only allows stereo.

Did I install it correctly? Am I checking it right? Any help GREATLY appreciated!

EDIT : right clicking -> properties on the hidden Samsung...(EDID override) monitor gives a message of "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer."

That's really odd. Have you tried swapping HDMI cables?

post #828 of 3183 Old 06-11-2010, 09:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingus View Post

Can the EDID override help with an Samsung LNT-4661 not sticking at 1920x1080 res? more of a monitor driver?

Setup:

HTPC with Core i3 (8.15.10.2141 drivers) ------> Onkyo 608 ---> Samsung.

Dual monitors 1280x1024 4.3, and Samsung 1920x1080.

Win7 x64 sees the Samsung as an Generic PNP Monitor, and always reverts back to 1280x1024 resolution even in single display mode.

Should I try the generic EDID in the first post?

If that's over a Clarkdale Intel IGP it won't accept an EDID override.

post #829 of 3183 Old 06-11-2010, 09:18 AM

^
Should I install and ATI card at this point? if that might help, would be worth it.
post #830 of 3183 Old 06-11-2010, 09:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingus View Post

^
Should I install and ATI card at this point? if that might help, would be worth it.

It could still be a driver issue only. Maybe installing latest version or just doing a driver reinstall after (driver) cleanup will do.

An ATI card is of course a terrific, no brainer choice but you already have a Clarkdale so maybe it's really worth trying some more troubleshooting to get that fixed.

You could even ask EDID gurus over Intel IGPs archibael or wo0zy about this on the dedicated Clarkdale thread.

post #831 of 3183 Old 06-13-2010, 02:47 PM

Anyone have a mirror for EDID Editor? Link is broken.
post #832 of 3183 Old 06-13-2010, 03:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by puinyuu View Post

Here.

post #833 of 3183 Old 06-14-2010, 01:16 AM

Quote:

That's really odd. Have you tried swapping HDMI cables?

Hi, sorry for not getting back but work intruded on real life

Before I saw this post I'd seen a post on another site (http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/t/78749.aspx) that mentioned Windows Media Foundation in Windows 7. I followed some instructions there and used a program called DSFilterTweaker to disable it. I then got PCM 5.1 instead of PCM 2. It's still not passing through DD or DTS but at least I have surround now! Also, no matter which codec I choose in MediaPortal it always uses MPC-MPA, so I think it's something to do with codec merits.

I'll try swapping out the cable as you suggest, but the fact that PowerDVD is fine would point to Windows config. rather than the cable.
post #834 of 3183 Old 06-14-2010, 11:24 AM

Tried this trick and it didn't help me but I'll post the codes I went to the trouble to get.

Onkyo TS-XR805

I just grabbed the whole line.
HKR,EDID_OVERRIDE,"1",00,FF,FF,FF,FF,FF,FF,00,3D,CB,81,07,00,00,00,00,00,11,01,03 ,80,00,00,78,0A,0D,C9,A0,57,47,98,27,12,48,4C,20,00,00,01,01 ,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,1D,80,18,71,1C ,16,20,58,2C,25,00,00,00,00,00,00,9E,8C,0A,D0,8A,20,E0,2D,10 ,10,3E,96,00,00,00,00,00,00,18,00,00,00,FC,00,54,58,2D,53,52 ,38,30,35,0A,20,20,20,20,00,00,00,FD,00,3B,3D,0F,2E,08,00,0A ,20,20,20,20,20,20,01,A7,02,03,1D,01,51,84,03,02,0E,0F,23,24 ,10,93,12,11,1D,1E,25,26,01,1F,66,03,0C,00,FF,FF,80,01,1D,00 ,72,51,D0,1E,20,6E,28,55,00,00,00,00,00,00,1E,8C,0A,A0,14,51 ,F0,16,00,26,7C,43,00,00,00,00,00,00,98,00,00,00,10,00,00,00 ,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,10,00,00,00,00,00 ,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,10,00,00,00,00,00,00,00 ,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,FA

Sony KF-42WE610

Again the whole line.
HKR,EDID_OVERRIDE,"0",00,FF,FF,FF,FF,FF,FF,00,4D,D9,F8,00,01,01,01,01,00,0C,01,03 ,80,00,00,78,0A,0D,C9,A0,57,47,98,27,12,48,4C,20,00,00,01,01 ,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,1D,80,18,71,1C ,16,20,58,2C,25,00,00,00,00,00,00,9E,8C,0A,D0,8A,20,E0,2D,10 ,10,3E,96,00,00,00,00,00,00,18,00,00,00,FC,00,53,4F,4E,59,20 ,54,56,0A,20,20,20,20,20,00,00,00,FD,00,3B,3D,0F,2E,08,00,0A ,20,20,20,20,20,20,01,02
post #835 of 3183 Old 06-15-2010, 08:25 AM

Hi Tulli,

Is there an EDID overide I can use for a Pioneer Pro-141FD and Onkyo TX-SR705 as there in no Pioneer and Onkyo combo posted.

If not I have attached the scans to each if you have time to look them over and make a custom for me.

Much appreciated!

RJ

Pioneer pro-141fd - Onkyo TXSR705.zip 2.333984375k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip Pioneer pro-141fd - Onkyo TXSR705.zip (2.3 KB, 3 views)
post #836 of 3183 Old 06-15-2010, 10:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVR23 View Post

Hi Tulli,

Is there an EDID overide I can use for a Pioneer Pro-141FD and Onkyo TX-SR705 as there in no Pioneer and Onkyo combo posted.

If not I have attached the scans to each if you have time to look them over and make a custom for me.

Much appreciated!

RJ

Can you post the full 256-byte EDID of your Kuro? It's necessary to keep the deep color specs.

OTH this mod:

Pioneer KRP-500M - DENON 2808

should work fine for you even if it's for a DENON. Anyway post the full EDID of your Kuro and I'll do the mod.

post #837 of 3183 Old 06-15-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by puinyuu View Post

It was a temporary outage, sorry about that. Fixed now but in case anyone needs it to be said, feel free to redistribute any copies you may have should it happen again (as long as Tulli or I are credited).
post #838 of 3183 Old 06-15-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:

Can you post the full 256-byte EDID of your Kuro? It's necessary to keep the deep color specs.

OTH this mod:

Pioneer KRP-500M - DENON 2808

should work fine for you even if it's for a DENON. Anyway post the full EDID of your Kuro and I'll do the mod.

How do I do the full 256-byte EDID Tulli? How is it different from connecting the card directly to the monitor and running moninfo?

Am I missing a step? Please excse my newbness
post #839 of 3183 Old 06-15-2010, 08:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

See details in link in my sig. for capture instructions, but basically, plug it directly to the card and make sure you run the latest version of Moninfo and run it as administrator.

post #840 of 3183 Old 06-16-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
See details in link in my sig. for capture instructions, but basically, plug it directly to the card and make sure you run the latest version of Moninfo and run it as administrator.
I copied and pasted them on notepad, will these work?

Thanks again!

pro-141fd.txt 5.69921875k . file

Onkyo TX-SR705.txt 2.7705078125k . file
Attached Files
File Type: txt Onkyo TX-SR705.txt (2.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: txt pro-141fd.txt (5.7 KB, 3 views)
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page