Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

Old 01-10-2011, 06:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 84
AFAIK a Gefen Detective Plus device (or cheaper equivalent?) is the only solution to keep the HDMI connection alive.

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2011, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, I'm new to this EDID stuff, so be patient.

I have an HDMI 1:2 splitter connected from my NVidia GTS-450 to both my Onkyo 876 as well as to a TV (I'm looking to get an Acer AT2358 or AT2326 - both support 1080p, 24p, but just stereo audio it seems). The TV doesn't support HD audio bitstreaming or even LPCM 7.1. Is it possible to force the video card to output the HD bitstream / LPCM 7.1 even though one of the two connected sources doesn't support it?

FYI, I need to split the HDMI signal because from the Onkyo I project into a theater. The small monitor is for inside the theater cabin, so I can see what's being projected.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yes, it's possible. Use the Onkyo EDID to do the override.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:56 AM

Hi Tulli, I was hoping you might be able to help me....

I have an ATI 6850 connected to a Denon AVR-791, which is then connected to a Sony 52hx909 TV. The problem is that when the video card is outputting RGB, the video levels are completely wrong and overly compressed. I know my AVR can handle RGB properly as I've output in RBG from my standalone DVD player. When the video card is hooked up directly to the TV, the RGB levels appear fine.

I tried your pre-made EDID override for Sony KDL-46XBR9 - DENON 4308 and found that the RBG video levels worked, and bitstreaming worked, but I lost the ability to play 3D.

If I connect the video card to the receiver and then use the EDID from when it was connected directly to the TV, the RGB video levels and 3D are both fine, but I lose the ability to bitstream to the receiver.

I've tried taking the HKR,EDID_OVERRIDE,"1" from the AVR EDID and adding it to the TV one, but then the RGB video levels get messed up again.

Any help you could provide would be much appreciated. I've attached the EDIDs for the TV, AVR, and AVR with the TV hooked up to it. Thanks for any help you might be able to provide!

EDID.zip 3.4833984375k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip EDID.zip (3.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-15-2011, 08:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emissary View Post
Hi Tulli, I was hoping you might be able to help me....

I have an ATI 6850 connected to a Denon AVR-791, which is then connected to a Sony 52hx909 TV. The problem is that when the video card is outputting RGB, the video levels are completely wrong and overly compressed. I know my AVR can handle RGB properly as I've output in RBG from my standalone DVD player. When the video card is hooked up directly to the TV, the RGB levels appear fine.

I tried your pre-made EDID override for Sony KDL-46XBR9 - DENON 4308 and found that the RBG video levels worked, and bitstreaming worked, but I lost the ability to play 3D.

If I connect the video card to the receiver and then use the EDID from when it was connected directly to the TV, the RGB video levels and 3D are both fine, but I lose the ability to bitstream to the receiver.

I've tried taking the HKR,EDID_OVERRIDE,"1" from the AVR EDID and adding it to the TV one, but then the RGB video levels get messed up again.

Any help you could provide would be much appreciated. I've attached the EDIDs for the TV, AVR, and AVR with the TV hooked up to it. Thanks for any help you might be able to provide!
Ok, I guess it should work with the attached mod.

Sony 52HX909 - DENON AVR-791.zip 1.2265625k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip Sony 52HX909 - DENON AVR-791.zip (1.2 KB, 12 views)

Old 01-15-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli View Post

Ok, I guess it should work with the attached mod.

Indeed, it does! Thank you so much!
Old 01-15-2011, 11:08 AM

Hey guys, I'm new to this, but I get the basic gist of what we are doing. So I searched all 40 pages for the appropriate EDID's, and installed the modified driver. But I'm hitting a snag. When I turn on the TV and AVR, the TV registers 1080p with no problems, but the screen is still in a 640x480 resolution. I'm thinking there's a problem with the AVR EDID. Am I on the right path??

TV: Sharp Aquos LC-46E77UN
AVR: Sony STR-DG910

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

What was your original issue? As for the EDID override it must match the video specs of your TV + audio from the AVR. Are you sure that the EDID override you installed is compatible with your TV?

Old 01-15-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:

What was your original issue? As for the EDID override it must match the video specs of your TV + audio from the AVR. Are you sure that the EDID override you installed is compatible with your TV?

My original issue was that every time I shut down my AVR and TV, after a little bit, it would turn back on in the default 640x480, or whatever that lower common resolution is. Only remedy was to restart, as the HTPC always thought it was in 1920x1080. I used someone else's EDID's from this thread, who had a similar TV model and AVR model. The TV was the same series, the only difference being that he had a 36" or 42", and I have a 46". I don't remember exactly what the model was for the AVR, but it was damn close too.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

What's your graphic card/adapter/driver and OS? When the TV is in low resolution, what's the display resolution in the driver control panel? They should match.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:

What's your graphic card/adapter/driver and OS? When the TV is in low resolution, what's the display resolution in the driver control panel? They should match.

It's an onboard graphics card, but it's an ATI GPU, not sure which one, though. Running Windows 7. I set up a macro with Event Ghost to reset the resolution from the computer to 1920x1080, as well, and it doesn't work. The resolution does not match what it says in the control panel.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRSHOPR View Post

It's an onboard graphics card, but it's an ATI GPU, not sure which one, though. Running Windows 7. I set up a macro with Event Ghost to reset the resolution from the computer to 1920x1080, as well, and it doesn't work. The resolution does not match what it says in the control panel.

Looks like a corrupted driver installation to me, and anyway not an EDID issue. So I'd suggest a clean driver reinstall (with Drivercleaner or Driversweeper), and even a fresh system install.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:

Looks like a corrupted driver installation to me, and anyway not an EDID issue. So I'd suggest a clean driver reinstall (with Drivercleaner or Driversweeper), and even a fresh system install.

Already tried that, didn't work. Out of curiosity, what makes you think it's not an EDID issue?
Old 01-16-2011, 11:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Because the video (and audio?) capabilities seem to be rightly detected by the ATI driver. Are they not?

Have you already checked the HDMI cables?

Old 01-16-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:

Because the video (and audio?) capabilities seem to be rightly detected by the ATI driver. Are they not?

Have you already checked the HDMI cables?

I'm not sure if they are. Could something else cause it to display only the 480x640 or 600x800 or whatever the lower resolution is, while still think it's outputting 1080p? I can change the resolution to anything in the control panel, and it'll think it has changed the resolution, but nothing actually changes. The only solution is a reboot.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

You can troubleshoot the EDID detection by checking that native resolution, color format and audio formats are correctly detected by the driver (check these values in CCC and in the HDMI sound device control panel). If these are fine the problem is not EDID detection.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:

You can troubleshoot the EDID detection by checking that native resolution, color format and audio formats are correctly detected by the driver (check these values in CCC and in the HDMI sound device control panel). If these are fine the problem is not EDID detection.

Ok, I'll check the next time it goes on the fritz. If it isn't EDID, could you possibly point me in a likely direction? I'm terribly tired of having to restart my HTPC everytime I turn on my TV. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Connect directly to TV and see if resolution is lost in the same way. If it does, then try swapping HDMI cables. If problem persists check resolution in CCC. If it's not native 1920x1080 then there's definitely an HDMI handshake issue that could be solved with an EDID override.

If it's OK with the TV repeat procedure with connection to the AVR. Swap HDMI cables if problem persist. Again, if resolution is not native 1920x1080 in CCC after powering off/on then there's an HDMI handshake issue ...

Old 01-16-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:

Connect directly to TV and see if resolution is lost in the same way. If it does, then try swapping HDMI cables. If problem persists check resolution in CCC. If it's not native 1920x1080 then there's definitely an HDMI handshake issue that could be solved with an EDID override.

If it's OK with the TV repeat procedure with connection to the AVR. Swap HDMI cables if problem persist. Again, if resolution is not native 1920x1080 in CCC after powering off/on then there's an HDMI handshake issue ...

OK, thanks. I'll give those a try. We will see how far I can get. I rarely can even see the display. Most of the time, it's a black screen.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:14 PM
Fiz

Quote:
AFAIK the connection will be detected as DVI if:
  1. There's no extension block (typical of PC monitors).
  2. The Vendor Specific Data Block is removed from the Extension Block (my trick to get my HDMI connection detected as DVI).

So, adding an extension block (e.g. from the AVR) to the monitor base block should suffice.
Hey Tulli. I would like to have my HDMI connection detected as DVI (I do not need any audio from my HDMI connection). I would like to do this due to an issue where my Radeon HD4200 is forcing YCbCr 4:4:4 no matter which selection I use (I would like full RGB). Attached is my EDID info. Thanks!

Sony KDL-40EX500.inf.txt 2.900390625k . file
Attached Files
File Type: txt Sony KDL-40EX500.inf.txt (2.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-18-2011, 12:10 AM

Liked: 11
Hi Tulli,
I truly appreciate your helping people out with this. I have an Integra preamp DHC 9.9 between my HTPC and Panasonic Plasma TH-58PZ700U. I am having a lot HDMI handshake issues. Hoping you can help me with the EDID Override mod to try. I have attached the zip file with the two captures using MonInfo tool.
Thanks so much.

PS: Video card is ATI HD 4670. DVI output to preamp/Monitor using a DVI->HDMI converoin cable. Using separate SPDIF card for audio.

IntegraDHC9.9-PanasonicTH-58PZ700U.zip 2.3076171875k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip IntegraDHC9.9-PanasonicTH-58PZ700U.zip (2.3 KB, 10 views)

Front L/R: Magnepan 1.7 + Emotiva Ultra-10 Sub + Emotiva XPA-1
Front Center: Magnepan CC5 + Emotiva XPA-100
Surrounds: Magnepan MMGW + Yamaha HTR-5250
Sub: SVS PC-13 Ultra
PrePro: Integra DHC-9.9
TV: Samsung UN75F6300
Source: Win7 MCE / Xbox 360 / Fisher TT MT-864
Power Cond: APC H15BLK
Old 01-18-2011, 08:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiz View Post

Hey Tulli. I would like to have my HDMI connection detected as DVI (I do not need any audio from my HDMI connection). I would like to do this due to an issue where my Radeon HD4200 is forcing YCbCr 4:4:4 no matter which selection I use (I would like full RGB). Attached is my EDID info. Thanks!

If you don´t need any audio simply remove the extension block line:

HKR,EDID_OVERRIDE,"1",0x01 ...

Then use the modified .inf to do the EDID override.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmishra View Post
Hi Tulli,
I truly appreciate your helping people out with this. I have an Integra preamp DHC 9.9 between my HTPC and Panasonic Plasma TH-58PZ700U. I am having a lot HDMI handshake issues. Hoping you can help me with the EDID Override mod to try. I have attached the zip file with the two captures using MonInfo tool.
Thanks so much.

PS: Video card is ATI HD 4670. DVI output to preamp/Monitor using a DVI->HDMI converoin cable. Using separate SPDIF card for audio.
Weird! The Integra EDID has a 2 channel SAD only and no Speakers descriptor! I added full HD Audio capabilities and 7.1.

Also I'd suggest upgrading to latest ATI drivers (10.12).

PanasonicTH-58PZ700U - IntegraDHC9-9.zip 1.21484375k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip PanasonicTH-58PZ700U - IntegraDHC9-9.zip (1.2 KB, 10 views)

Old 01-18-2011, 09:27 AM

Liked: 11
Thanks Tulli,
Will try tonight. Integra weirdness is my doing. Currently it is setup with only 2.1 speakers.

Front L/R: Magnepan 1.7 + Emotiva Ultra-10 Sub + Emotiva XPA-1
Front Center: Magnepan CC5 + Emotiva XPA-100
Surrounds: Magnepan MMGW + Yamaha HTR-5250
Sub: SVS PC-13 Ultra
PrePro: Integra DHC-9.9
TV: Samsung UN75F6300
Source: Win7 MCE / Xbox 360 / Fisher TT MT-864
Power Cond: APC H15BLK
Old 01-20-2011, 06:48 AM

Hi - my display can run HDMI 1.4 stereo 3D content but NVIDIA 3DTV Play refuses to recognise it.

This link has a modified INF, but it doesn't work at all for me: http://blog.bagearon.com/?p=38

I can dump an INF for my kit with no problem at all. Could I change the product vendor/info to the information from the modified INF and produce an EDID override INF for my device?

I guess, simply speaking, how do I change my EDID's vendor/product details? Hopefully this will allow me to "pass" NVIDIA's tests.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster View Post

Hi - my display can run HDMI 1.4 stereo 3D content but NVIDIA 3DTV Play refuses to recognise it.

This link has a modified INF, but it doesn't work at all for me: http://blog.bagearon.com/?p=38

I can dump an INF for my kit with no problem at all. Could I change the product vendor/info to the information from the modified INF and produce an EDID override INF for my device?

I guess, simply speaking, how do I change my EDID's vendor/product details? Hopefully this will allow me to "pass" NVIDIA's tests.

I've specifically helped one forum member where the Nvidia drivers failed EDID 3D detection because of lack of a Speakers descriptor (Panasonic 3D TV). So yes, post the .inf to have a look at it.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:43 PM

Hi,

htpc dvi< hdmi coverter < avr < panasonic tv,

second display htpc< hdmi

I have win7 set up to clone both displays. The problem is when I turn off the tv, the sound to the avr stops. Is this a case where the HDMI Detective can help?

Thanks in advance,
Patrick
Old 01-23-2011, 05:41 PM

Hi Guys,

Quick question. My setup is

HTPC -> Denon AVR3311 -> Panasonic HDTV

My problem is that when the Denon goes into Standy mode, it changes it's EDID response (as confirmed by Moninfo) to only prefer 1080i signals, not 1080p. So windows goes and changes the res to 1080i.

Can i create a custom INF to only accept 1080p 24/50/60 signals?

Cheers!

Denon-ON.txt 5.7802734375k . file

Denon-OFF.txt 4.9638671875k . file

Television.txt 5.0048828125k . file
Attached Files
File Type: txt Television.txt (5.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: txt Denon-OFF.txt (5.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: txt Denon-ON.txt (5.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 01-24-2011, 03:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by plew View Post

Hi,

htpc dvi< hdmi coverter < avr < panasonic tv,

second display htpc< hdmi

I have win7 set up to clone both displays. The problem is when I turn off the tv, the sound to the avr stops. Is this a case where the HDMI Detective can help?

Thanks in advance,
Patrick

Yes, but an HDMI switch would be a cheaper alternative. OTH with the HDMI switch there would be only one active Windows display device at a time, so maybe an HDMI splitter could be an alternative. But here the problem is 2 different EDIDs shared by one single connection to the HTPC maybe causing video issues, especially with the projector. It could work anyway but it would have to be tested first.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffster View Post
Hi Guys,

Quick question. My setup is

HTPC -> Denon AVR3311 -> Panasonic HDTV

My problem is that when the Denon goes into Standy mode, it changes it's EDID response (as confirmed by Moninfo) to only prefer 1080i signals, not 1080p. So windows goes and changes the res to 1080i.

Can i create a custom INF to only accept 1080p 24/50/60 signals?

Cheers!
Yes, the Denon-OFF EDID has 1920x1080i resolution as preferred. Use the Denon-ON EDID to override the GenericPnP monitor driver generated by Windows with the Denon in standby mode.

Denon-ON.zip 1.189453125k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip Denon-ON.zip (1.2 KB, 10 views)