Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 3161 Old 02-22-2011, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli View Post
Post the HDTV EDID to have a look at it. Maybe it lacks the Speakers descriptor. I'll fix it if necessary so you can apply an EDID override.
Hi Tulli,

This is the report generated by Monitor Asset Manager. If you need more information then please let me know.

Kindest Regards,

Lee

moninfo.txt 7.4873046875k . file
Attached Files
File Type: txt moninfo.txt (7.5 KB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 3161 Old 02-22-2011, 02:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnargeel View Post
Hi Tulli,

This is the report generated by Monitor Asset Manager. If you need more information then please let me know.

Kindest Regards,

Lee
Ok, try the attached mod.

LNXTY-37F2.zip 1.18359375k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip LNXTY-37F2.zip (1.2 KB, 9 views)

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
post #1263 of 3161 Old 02-23-2011, 02:12 AM

Hi Tulli,

You're nothing short of a genius.

I installed the .inf this morning and the HDMI audio popped back into life. I had audio through the HDMI cable.

I didn't have long to play with it but I popped a DVD into the drive and launched Windows Media Player. There was some sort of audio 'pop' and the the HDMI audio turned off (back to 'not plugged in').

I rebooted and played the same DVD in VLC - no problems. I noticed in the file you sent that the back that you'd set:

CE speaker allocation data
Channel configuration.... 5.1

Now you won't know because I didn't tell you (sorry!), that as my TV only has stereo speakers? I wondered if media player was tying to use speakers that weren't there and the TV decided it didn't want to play anymore?
post #1264 of 3161 Old 02-23-2011, 04:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnargeel View Post
Hi Tulli,

You're nothing short of a genius.

I installed the .inf this morning and the HDMI audio popped back into life. I had audio through the HDMI cable.

I didn't have long to play with it but I popped a DVD into the drive and launched Windows Media Player. There was some sort of audio 'pop' and the the HDMI audio turned off (back to 'not plugged in').

I rebooted and played the same DVD in VLC - no problems. I noticed in the file you sent that the back that you'd set:

Channel configuration.... 5.1

Now you won't know because I didn't tell you (sorry!), that as my TV only has stereo speakers? I wondered if media player was tying to use speakers that weren't there and the TV decided it didn't want to play anymore?
Ok, now it should work ...

LNXTY-37F2 - 2-LPCM.zip 1.2001953125k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip LNXTY-37F2 - 2-LPCM.zip (1.2 KB, 6 views)

post #1265 of 3161 Old 02-23-2011, 04:42 AM

Hi Tulli,

Thanks for the that. I'll take it home tonight, try it and let you know how it goes.

Kindest Regards,

Lee
post #1266 of 3161 Old 02-23-2011, 03:07 PM

Hi Tulli,

Thanks for the mod. I applied it and everything went smoothly but this time Windows Media Player decided that it didn't want to start, claiming some files were missing and that I should restate the machine.

I did this and still nothing, I then noticed that Windows Media Player would play a video clip but not a DVD. I had a hunt around in the Nvidia HDMI audio settings and unticked the options regarding allowing applications to take control of the connection.

Thankfully everything worked perfectly,

Anyway, you have another happy customer and I really do appreciate you taking the time to help me. Do you have a PayPal account or something to drop a token of gratitude into?

Kindest regards and many thanks,

Lee
post #1267 of 3161 Old 02-26-2011, 08:29 AM

I was looking to get some help with a mod.

My setup is an HTPC with ATI 5450 output on HDMI 2 into the Panasonic TC-L32U22.
The sound goes out of the HDTV into a HTiB SC-BTT350 via Viera Link ARC on HDMI 1.

I am hoping the multichannel sound will pass through but believe I am limited right now as I can only get 2 channel output because of the EDID of the TC-L32U22.

I followed the directions on the EDID override thread but as I am not passing through to a AVR I think I just need a mod to the EDID of the HDTV.

I followed the instructions in the other thread to properly capture the real time EDID of the TC-L32U22 using the Moninfo software and have attached it in a zip in three formats .inf .bin .hex

I read the edid info but don't know enough hex or about which bit rate, frequency and stream type to properly edit my own edid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

panasonic tc-l32u22.zip 1.861328125k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip panasonic tc-l32u22.zip (1.9 KB, 2 views)
post #1268 of 3161 Old 02-26-2011, 08:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wah00kid View Post
I was looking to get some help with a mod.

My setup is an HTPC with ATI 5450 output on HDMI 2 into the Panasonic TC-L32U22.
The sound goes out of the HDTV into a HTiB SC-BTT350 via Viera Link ARC on HDMI 1.

I am hoping the multichannel sound will pass through but believe I am limited right now as I can only get 2 channel output because of the EDID of the TC-L32U22.

I followed the directions on the EDID override thread but as I am not passing through to a AVR I think I just need a mod to the EDID of the HDTV.

I followed the instructions in the other thread to properly capture the real time EDID of the TC-L32U22 using the Moninfo software and have attached it in a zip in three formats .inf .bin .hex

I read the edid info but don't know enough hex or about which bit rate, frequency and stream type to properly edit my own edid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mod attached ...

Panasonic tc-l32u22+AC3+DTS+5.1.zip 1.212890625k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip Panasonic tc-l32u22+AC3+DTS+5.1.zip (1.2 KB, 8 views)

post #1269 of 3161 Old 02-27-2011, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
My specs:

Vista 32
Samsung HL67A750
Denon 2310CI
ATI Radeon 5450 (CCC 10.11)

A few months ago, I installed the EDID fix to bitstream hidef audio via TMT3. Worked like a charm. Since then, with both upgrades of TMT3 and CCC, it isn't needed, so I uninstalled it.

I've been having HDMI audio issues with the drivers not loading properly when my HTPC comes out of standby or when I power up the AVR and display at the same time -- the display needs to be turned on first, I guess, so that its EDID can be read properly (??). Otherwise the system insists the HDMI cable is unplugged -- I'm guessing it thinks it's only connected via DVI or something.

Anyway, I thought I'd reinstall the fix and see if that helps, but when I try via Device Manager, even though I point it to the folder with the .inf file (Samsung HL67A750 - DENON 4308.inf), it refuses to see it, with only the generic driver showing up, and tells me the best driver for the display is already installed.

This used to work easily (I have deleted/reinstalled the fix a couple of times in the past). How can I get this fix installed?
post #1270 of 3161 Old 02-27-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Make sure to select the option "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" during install.

post #1271 of 3161 Old 02-27-2011, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Make sure to select the option "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" during install.

Hi Tulli. I do, and the list only shows the Generic PnP Monitor. It used to show both before.

EDIT: OK, I'm a dummy. I was skipping the "Have Disc" step. I honestly don't remember doing it that way before, but I must have. Anyway, got it installed.
post #1272 of 3161 Old 03-05-2011, 02:05 AM

Hello Tulli. I have a Philips 32PFL3403 and an Onkyo HT-R380. My HTPC has a Radeon HD4350 which can send 7.1 LPCM. Unfortunately, the HTPC will not send 7.1 to the receiver as it does not have an 8-LPCM SAD. I was able to successfully send 7.1 to the receiver when I tested it with the Onkyo TX-NR906 EDID. Is it possible to insert the 8-LPCM SAD into the receiver EDID and combine them? Any assistance you would be able to give is much appreciated.

Philips 32PFL3403 HT R380.zip 2.603515625k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip Philips 32PFL3403 HT R380.zip (2.6 KB, 2 views)
post #1273 of 3161 Old 03-05-2011, 05:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfxn View Post
Hello Tulli. I have a Philips 32PFL3403 and an Onkyo HT-R380. My HTPC has a Radeon HD4350 which can send 7.1 LPCM. Unfortunately, the HTPC will not send 7.1 to the receiver as it does not have an 8-LPCM SAD. I was able to successfully send 7.1 to the receiver when I tested it with the Onkyo TX-NR906 EDID. Is it possible to insert the 8-LPCM SAD into the receiver EDID and combine them? Any assistance you would be able to give is much appreciated.
Sure, here you go ...

Philips 32PFL3403 - ONKYO HTR-380 (+8LPCM).zip 1.25390625k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip Philips 32PFL3403 - ONKYO HTR-380 (+8LPCM).zip (1.3 KB, 7 views)

post #1274 of 3161 Old 03-05-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:

Sure, here you go ...

Working perfectly! Thanks Tulli, I really appreciate it.
post #1275 of 3161 Old 03-06-2011, 03:59 AM

I realized now that I posted in the ATI thread, and since I also have a NVIDIA card I figure I shoulda posted in the general thread here instead. So sorry for the double post if you read both threads:

I feel like I'm a bit in over my head when I started reading this thread. However I've run out of luck with my HDMI audio output and both ATI and NVIDIA support is just horrible. I take it that I have an EDID problem but I don't know how to solve it. I'd appreciate any help terribly much:

My setup differs abit from the most of you. I have "fake" surround via a Philips soundbar (HTS8140). Still there's a big difference between when the amp gets a stereo signal or DD/DTS. The big diff between most ppl in here is that I plug all my hardware into my Philips 42" 9703 first. So my XBOX360, my digital-box and pc are all connected via HDMI to the TV. And from the TV I use digital out to the amp. Now some people will say that the TV can't forward multichannel sound to the amp, but that's not true. Both the XBOX and digital-box works flawlessly. For example switching from a SD channel to a HD channel on the digital-box immediately makes the DD/DTS symbol on the amp light up.

Now to my problem. Using a ATI HD5870 card (Sapphire Vapor-X), I can only get multichannel out from the computer if the TV and amp are already turned on and set on the right input before booting up the computer. However if the TV is turned on after the computer already has been booted, multichannelsound will not work. I have to manually set it to not output over spdif to get sound out to the amp. Same is true for if while functioning, I switch the TV inputs to the digital box and then back to the computer, the multichannel stops functioning as well.

I've updated all drivers and tried everything and I can't find a solution. The fact of the matter that I get it to work if booted in the right order shows that it is possible and it should be working. The only thing I can think of is that it's and EDID problem? Why does the computer detect the TV/amp differently just by switching inputs back and forth?

Is this problem fixable? Please help.

I even went out and bought a NVIDIA card this weekend (GTX 560 ti MSI) to see if it would work with that setup. According to their support it shouldn't be any problem at all. However with this one I can't get it at all to work. I think this has to do with the card using a mini HDMI so an adapter is needed for the HDMI cable. Because with this card the TV doesn't appear as a monitor until the login screen so there's no signal during the boot. With the ATI card (which has full hdmi contact where no adaptor is needed) the TV gets signal immediately and I see the post on there as well. So regardless of which order I turn things on the NVIDIA card fails to output multichannel.

I'd appreciate any help I can get. I take it the ATI card is the better pick since it works sometimes. But what to do?

Hope I haven't bored you to death by now and I really appreciate if anyone can take the time to help me. Nobody else seems to be able to :/

The specs if needed:

computer: Shuttle SX58J3
ghx card ATI: Sapphire ATI HD5870 Vapor-X
ghx card NVIDIA: MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin frozr II
HDMI cable: Supra
TV: Philips 42pfl9703h
amp: HTS8140
post #1276 of 3161 Old 03-06-2011, 04:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

The EDID Override solution for getting 5.1 DD & DTS through an HDTV (with connection: graphic card->HDTV->AVR) usually works. Post your HDTV EDID to have a look at it and, if necessary, add 5.1 DD and DTS SADs.

post #1277 of 3161 Old 03-06-2011, 05:08 AM

Here's the captured EDID using Moninfo.

If you can make this work I'll be extremely thankful Then it doesn't matter either if I use the NVIDIA or the ATI card? Hmm don't know which one to keep if that's the case

Philips 42pfl9703h.zip 1.2021484375k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip Philips 42pfl9703h.zip (1.2 KB, 7 views)
post #1278 of 3161 Old 03-06-2011, 07:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

So here's your mod ...

Philips 42pfl9703h+AC3+DTS (5.1).zip 1.2216796875k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip Philips 42pfl9703h+AC3+DTS (5.1).zip (1.2 KB, 21 views)

post #1279 of 3161 Old 03-06-2011, 07:47 AM

Thank you.. to my despair it didn't work

Gosh I was so hopeful. I now have the NVIDIA card installed.. Gonna try formating and try the ATI with the mod as well.

I can see in the properties that it says "supports DD and DTS audio" now. Before it only said DD. Is it supposed to say 2 for maxiumum number of channels? Attached a printscreen. And when I go into configure speakers there's just stereo, don't know if that was supposed to change?!

Darn it, I feel like throwing my system in the wall, it's driving me nuts. I gotta say I like the NVIDIA driver and controlpanel more than the ATI so I almost don't want it to work when I format it...

Any further suggestions?

btw the file I tried playing now was Social Network 1080p movie. I don't know if it's of importance but according to VLC:

Codec: DTS autio (dts)
Language: English
Channels: 3F2R/LFE
Samplingfrequency: 48000 Hz
Bitfrequency: 1536 kbit/s
LL
post #1280 of 3161 Old 03-06-2011, 08:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

No, it should show 5.1. I added a specific Speakers Descriptor for that. I would suggest trying the ATI card before formatting.

post #1281 of 3161 Old 03-06-2011, 08:14 AM

Well formatting only takes 30 mins all in all.. barely have anythin installed and with ssd disk it's full speed.. Hmm..

Why does it show max channels 2 if you added 5.1? Is the file correct? I'd love keeping my new NVIDIA card so I'd rather getting it to work with this

And with me asking if the file is correct, I ain't doubting your skills, I'm ever so thankful for you trying to help me. I just meant is there anyway for me to see in moninfo now for example if the file is loaded correctly? What line/words am I looking for?

In moninfo I see this:

Channel configuration.... 2.0
Front left/right......... Yes
Front LFE................ No
Front center............. No
Rear left/right.......... No
Rear center.............. No
Front left/right center.. No
Rear left/right center... No
Rear LFE................. No
post #1282 of 3161 Old 03-06-2011, 08:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Yes, EDID override is fine ... I double-checked:

Could be an issue with the specific Nvidia HDMI audio driver. Check that the EDID Override is present in Device Manager. Also make sure to reboot after applying the override.

Also, try a cleanup of grayed-out monitor drivers in the way explained in 1st. post.
LL

post #1283 of 3161 Old 03-06-2011, 08:35 AM

Yes it's installed and everything.. what a bummer..

Gonna try reinstalling the NVIDIA audio driver see if anything happens.

Really stupid question maybe, but after installing the mod.. if I use Moninfo again, is it the modded version I should see under Realtime ?
post #1284 of 3161 Old 03-06-2011, 09:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

No, the modded version is stored in the registry, cant' recall the exact entry now. The real-time EDID is read from the display device.

EDIT:

Here's the information to check the registry entry for the modded EDID.

post #1285 of 3161 Old 03-06-2011, 09:39 AM

Well I tried reinstalling all the drivers and everything. I don't understand how windows sound only shows max two channels if the modded file in the reg says 5.1? Shouldn't that force windows to have max. 5.1?

I'm off trying the ATI now so I'll be under the radar for 30 mins. If you come up with any idea don't hesitate to let me know. I'd love getting the NVIDIA card to work!
post #1286 of 3161 Old 03-06-2011, 10:51 AM

Same result as before with the ATI. It works if the TV/amp is on when computer is booted. But not otherwise, not when switching inputs etc.

As with NVIDIA, even with the mod it says maximum channels 2. And this is on a completely clean computer (formatted and new install of win7).

Darn it, I was so excited just few hours ago. Is there anything else to try?

Why in the world does it work with the TV/amp being on before computer is booted? That makes it feel like an EDID issue?
post #1287 of 3161 Old 03-06-2011, 01:49 PM

So comparing the regentry to your file. I see that they don't start with 01 as in your file. Is this suppose to be? I think the rest of it looks right?

I also noticed that there is another key under the Philips display:
5&1ba2ea04&0&12345678&05&00

Is that supposed to be there? Under its device parameter there's an EDID entry as well. I attach a picture of it under attached as well as regeditother.

Could this entry be messing with the one you made for me?
LL
LL
LL
post #1288 of 3161 Old 03-07-2011, 05:33 AM

I'm sorry for me going on and bothering you. I've been playing around with moninfo and the registry and looking back at older posts and fixes. I found one post from Otello on page 23 where you fixed his setup.

He also has comp connected to tv and then on to the avr.

In his mod you see:

CE audio data (formats supported)
AC-3 6-channel, 640k max. bit rate at 32/44/48 kHz
DTS 6-channel, 1536k max. bit rate at 32/44/48 kHz
LPCM 2-channel, 16/20/24 bit depths at 32/44/48/88/96/176/192 kHz

In the mod you made for me:
CE audio data (formats supported)
LPCM 2-channel, 16/20/24 bit depths at 32/44/48 kHz
AC-3 6-channel, 640k max. bit rate at 32/44/48 kHz
DTS 6-channel, 1536k max. bit rate at 32/44/48/88/96 kHz

Just looking at the two the only difference I notice is the hz for LPCM especially and also DTS. Could this have anything to do with it?

And a last thing. Looking in Moninfo for the reg-active and registry for my TV, only the first block appears in the raw data.. is this supposed to be or should both blocks be seen?
post #1289 of 3161 Old 03-07-2011, 06:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

No worries. Only difference there is order of SAD fields and all sample rates enabled for the 2-LPCM SAD. I've attached the new mod.

Not sure about the reg-active only showing base block but the EDID override should work in giving 6 audio channels. This is the real bug here as the graphic driver is supposed to take the EDID override "at face value", i.e. disregarding any real-time EDID detection.

Philips 42pfl9703h+AC3+DTS (5.1).zip 1.2216796875k . file

post #1290 of 3161 Old 03-07-2011, 06:42 AM

Still same result sigh. If we just break it down:

The sound output works if TV/amp is on when booted. It doesn't work after inputs are switched back n forth.

Shouldn't that mean it is an EDID problem?

It's so frustrating having it working on boot, thus knowing it SHOULD work.. and then not being able to get it to work fully.

With your new mod, in the "supported format" tab in the properties for my HDMI audio, I can see that the supported sample rates have changed and are many more. Thus it must be reading of the second block as well. Then why doesn't it "force" it to say 5.1 channels maximum? It's still 2 there.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page