post #1981 of 3181 Old 02-26-2012, 04:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd-C View Post
I'm confused from reading all these posts. Can anyone help me on the correct path to of getting surround sound?

Current setup
Laptop (Running Vista) with NVIDIA 9600M GT -> HDMI -> LG 60PK550 -> SPDIF -> Vizio VHT510 soundbar

I also have a PS3 connected to the tv by HDMI.

When I play a movie with AC3 audio on the computer, I only get stereo sound. HDMI audio properties shows Dolby Digital as the supported format. If i go to configure speakers, it only has Stereo as an option. In VLC, the menu for audio channels only shows stereo, left, and right.

From what I read, there is a limitation of getting more than two channels over SPDIF, but shouldn't AC3 audio work? When I play the same movie on the PS3 using PS3 media server, it gets surround sound via the SPDIF cable from the tv. If PS3 can send surround sound to the soundbar, the laptop should be able too.

Can I just override the EDID in the windows registry to say the LG tv accepts surround sound? I have looked at it in moninfo and it says
"CE audio data (formats supported)
LPCM 2-channel, 16/20/24 bit depths at 32/44/48 kHz"

But how can I override it to accept surround sound?

Try the attached EDID override ...

LG 60PK550LG+5.1AC3&DTS.zip 1.24609375k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip LG 60PK550LG+5.1AC3&DTS.zip (1.2 KB, 24 views)

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 3181 Old 02-26-2012, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi,

Does anyone have the EDID .inf file taken from any of this samsung monitors
s23a750d
s27a750d
s27a750d
s27a950d

?
post #1983 of 3181 Old 02-26-2012, 04:57 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli View Post

Check the "Supported Formats" window on the HDMI audio device properties and see that all audio formats are listed.

Set it to multichannel (5.1 or 7.1). Do you get Windows test tones?

Also, make sure that the NVidia HDMI audio device is set to default. If applicable, disable any onboard audio while troubleshooting.

Hey Tulli,
The "Supported Formats" window only available on my realtek optical out page/menu. It doesnt show on my nvidia gtx560 menu page?

Hdmi audio device is set to default(sony amp) but is stays faded out until the sony amp's hdmi out is disconnected from the optoma hd33 projector.

Also,
I did exactly as your no 4 post stated on the other thread.
( Cleaned up/delected registry leftovers )

Not sure if this is relevent,
But, The optoma NEVER shows up in the playback devices list even when its connected directly to the pc through the gtx560 nvidia cards hdmi out.
post #1984 of 3181 Old 02-26-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbloodyskint View Post

Hey Tulli,
The "Supported Formats" window only available on my realtek optical out page/menu. It doesnt show on my nvidia gtx560 menu page?

Hdmi audio device is set to default(sony amp) but is stays faded out until the sony amp's hdmi out is disconnected from the optoma hd33 projector.

Also,
I did exactly as your no 4 post stated on the other thread.
( Cleaned up/delected registry leftovers )

Not sure if this is relevent,
But, The optoma NEVER shows up in the playback devices list even when its connected directly to the pc through the gtx560 nvidia cards hdmi out.

Disable the realtek device (in the BIOS) and try a clean reinstall of the latest Nvidia driver. Looks like a corrupted driver installation.

post #1985 of 3181 Old 02-26-2012, 06:58 PM

Hi all

After searching through most of the thread (it just keeps growing!) I decided to post my question as I couldnt find a scenario exactly like the one I am experiencing.

I have a W7 HTPC running Mediaportal connected via HDMI to a Denon AVR-1910 reciever, which in turn is connected via HDMI to a Samsung plasma (PS50B850).

My system works beautifuly with one execption, unless I turn my components on and off in a precise order, when i resume from S3 i end up with Mediaportal running in "half screen" (is this called windowed mode?); ie: windows desktop is fine in the background but Mediaportal has shrunk into the top left corner, about a third of the screen.

I fix by shutting down Mediaportal and restarting it; not a huge deal but giving the wife ammo to use against me!

Before I start messing around is the EDID override likely to help my issue; or am i best to bite the bullet and shell out for a HDMI detective?

Thanks heaps

Barry
post #1986 of 3181 Old 02-27-2012, 01:53 PM

Bump- any thoughts?
post #1987 of 3181 Old 02-27-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

An EDID override won't help. If you have an AMD card try disabling the "AMD External Events Utility" service. Otherwise only a Gefen Detective will do.

post #1988 of 3181 Old 02-27-2012, 04:15 PM

Damn!

But thanks!

Saves me messing around unnecessarily!
post #1989 of 3181 Old 02-27-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:

Disable the realtek device (in the BIOS) and try a clean reinstall of the latest Nvidia driver. Looks like a corrupted driver installation.

Just disabled onboard audio in bios and done fresh install of nvidia drivers which unfortunately just gives me no playback devices until I connect up the sony amp, which then still shows up in playback devices but again showing as
"Not plugged in " ???

I am wondering if its worth the cost of returning the sony home cinema system to amazon as not compatible or maybe faulty??
post #1990 of 3181 Old 02-29-2012, 02:14 PM

So my current issues have let me here - which I have already visited in the past.

Scenario:

HTPC (ATI) >HDMI> Onkyo TX-NR-809 >HDMI> Vizio

My current problem is that my AMD HDMI sound device sometimes shows as grayed out and disconnected causing me to get no sound from my receiver.

I previously followed this procedure to help with the display not coming online:

1) Create display.inf with MONINFO with HTPC connected directly to TV
2) Connect AVR back in between and run MONINFO to "Merge extension bloc with INF" back into the display.inf created in previous step.
3) Loaded INF with device manager.

Doing that did not fix my display issues entirely, I would still get resizes of WMC when my devices powered back on. I discovered and posted in another thread, that if I disabled the ATI External Events Utility then my display would not be reconnected each time and resize my screen.

It seems to me (though I may be mistaken) that my Sound issues didn't start happening until after I made the EDID change...but since it is very intermittent it is difficult to tell.

Any suggestions?
post #1991 of 3181 Old 02-29-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

IF the problem has to do with WMC only solution is a Gefen Detective device.

post #1992 of 3181 Old 02-29-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:

IF the problem has to do with WMC only solution is a Gefen Detective device.

Tulli - I'm not sure it is WMC related. Would WMC actually cause one of my sound devices to show as grayed out and not available?

Next time this issue happens I will attempt to simply restart WMC and see if the device connects again, as opposed to restarting any other devices. I wish I could reliably replicate this rather than wait 2 days for it to reoccur.

Also, do you have any other ideas in case the issue ISN'T WMC? Could you also point me to any other good postings about why you say WMC is so troublesome regarding this?

I also found on some other forums people having issues very similar to those that you help fix here re: HDMI and EDID. Those people stated they used this device and they no longer experienced any handshaking issues. This of course is much cheaper than a Geffen, and I'm wondering if you have any thoughts on this.

Thanks for your help, and all the input you provide here.
post #1993 of 3181 Old 02-29-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yes, WMC causes such issues when the HDMI device is re-detected (after switching or resuming from sleep).

I don't know about that device but should be a lot cheaper than the Gefen Detective, so worth trying.

post #1994 of 3181 Old 03-01-2012, 05:19 AM

Well,
I gave up and resigned myself to having to carry my large pc up and down the stairs when I want to watch a movie on projector from pc , so bought an optical cable to get the audio directly from the motherboards realtek onboard card using the optical output and video from the onboard realtek card hdmi out directly to the hd33.
To get the audio throught the sony speakers I had to set the sony input to tv.

So basically I am not able to use the hdmi input and hdmi output to hd33 on the sony amp if I ever want sound from the pc to sony amp.

While this isnt a fix and I have wasted my time running a 10mtr hdmi 1.4a cable through the house which is now all sealed in and boarded I am just glad to have audio and video at the same time.

Im sure it will forever bug me as to whats at fault, the gtx card or the sony amp.

If I even get access to another amp I will give it a try.

Thankyou for tryin Tulli,
I will forever be greatful for all your efforts my freind. THANKYOU.
post #1995 of 3181 Old 03-02-2012, 06:46 AM

Hi guys I need some help.
Setup:
HTPC: Intel i3-2100 Sandy Bridge. XBMC Pre-Eden beta 2 DSPLayer (january 20).

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V2067.
TV: Samsung PS51D8005.
Projector: Epson TW3200

HTPC ---> HDMI out ----> RX-V2067 Receiver -----> HDMI out 1 -----> Samsung TV ----> 2

My problem is that I often when I switch from HDMI 1 on reciever (TV) to HDMI 2 (Epson Projector). When I switch the Receiver off when I'm still in XBMC the picture gets largely oversized (weird resolution) but still show a resolution of 1080p.

I guess it must have something to do with EDID is not correct for some of my components since XBMC gets weird. When I restart XBMC it's good again until I switch receiver on/off.

Any suggestions?

My best guess is EDID overwrite, but how do I force the correct EDID for both my Yamaha receiver/Samsung TV and Epson Projector??

Sorry but this is new area for me, so I hope someone is willing to give me some guidance..
post #1996 of 3181 Old 03-02-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjur View Post

Hi guys I need some help.
Setup:
HTPC: Intel i3-2100 Sandy Bridge. XBMC Pre-Eden beta 2 DSPLayer (january 20).

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V2067.
TV: Samsung PS51D8005.
Projector: Epson TW3200

HTPC ---> HDMI out ----> RX-V2067 Receiver -----> HDMI out 1 -----> Samsung TV ----> 2

My problem is that I often when I switch from HDMI 1 on reciever (TV) to HDMI 2 (Epson Projector). When I switch the Receiver off when I'm still in XBMC the picture gets largely oversized (weird resolution) but still show a resolution of 1080p.

I guess it must have something to do with EDID is not correct for some of my components since XBMC gets weird. When I restart XBMC it's good again until I switch receiver on/off.

Any suggestions?

My best guess is EDID overwrite, but how do I force the correct EDID for both my Yamaha receiver/Samsung TV and Epson Projector??

Sorry but this is new area for me, so I hope someone is willing to give me some guidance..

Unfortunately Intel IGPs don't accept EDID overrides. Other than the expensive Gefen Detective device I know of no other safe solution to your problem.

post #1997 of 3181 Old 03-05-2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately Intel IGPs don't accept EDID overrides. Other than the expensive Gefen Detective device I know of no other safe solution to your problem.

Okay, thank you for the answer. Hmm then I need to buy a graphic card or switch away from Intel..
post #1998 of 3181 Old 03-08-2012, 11:35 AM

I tried some EDID's but I am unsuccesful getting output toslink 5.1 from my Octava HDDA12-AD splitter.

Could you help me out? It's is very frustrating as I realise I really don't have a clue what I am doing.

regards
post #1999 of 3181 Old 03-08-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUglyBad View Post

I tried some EDID's but I am unsuccesful getting output toslink 5.1 from my Octava HDDA12-AD splitter.

Could you help me out? It's is very frustrating as I realise I really don't have a clue what I am doing.

regards

What is the exact setup? You're sharing one single EDID between all different display devices attached to the splitter.

Capture the real-time EDID of the display device you wan't to keep as reference and post it to have a look at it.

post #2000 of 3181 Old 03-09-2012, 04:36 AM

Quote:

What is the exact setup? You're sharing one single EDID between all different display devices attached to the splitter.

Capture the real-time EDID of the display device you wan't to keep as reference and post it to have a look at it.

I dont really have a reference EDID, sorry.

I was in the assumption a basic 1080p device with surround audio EDID would do the trick for all devices.

My setup is:

Windows 7 with a GTX560-ti HDMI out to a Octava HDDA12-AD HDMI splitter

The splitter 3 devices connected:
2 for video
1. Panasonic TX-L37EW30 (TV)
2. BenQ W1000+ (projector)

1 for audio
Teufel Decoderstation 5 (with toslink)

Thank you for looking into this

regards
post #2001 of 3181 Old 03-09-2012, 05:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I dont really have a reference EDID, sorry.

I was in the assumption a basic 1080p device with surround audio EDID would do the trick for all devices.

My setup is:

Windows 7 with a GTX560-ti HDMI out to a Octava HDDA12-AD HDMI splitter

The splitter 3 devices connected:
2 for video
1. Panasonic TX-L37EW30 (TV)
2. BenQ W1000+ (projector)

1 for audio
Teufel Decoderstation 5 (with toslink)

Thank you for looking into this

regards

A possible solution is an EDID override with the real-time EDID of the Benq W1000 + a standard 5.1 audio block, provided that video timings of the Benq will work for the Panasonic TV.

Now, you don't really need an EDID override for you setup. Just discard the splitter and connect both display devices to your GTX-560-ti in clone mode (use a DVI-HDMI adapter).

If you still want to try the EDID override + Splitter option post the Optoma real-time EDID and I'all mod it to have a 5.1 audio block.

post #2002 of 3181 Old 03-09-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:

A possible solution is an EDID override with the real-time EDID of the Benq W1000 + a standard 5.1 audio block, provided that video timings of the Benq will work for the Panasonic TV.

Now, you don't really need an EDID override for you setup. Just discard the splitter and connect both display devices to your GTX-560-ti in clone mode (use a DVI-HDMI adapter).

If you still want to try the EDID override + Splitter option post the Optoma real-time EDID and I'all mod it to have a 5.1 audio block.

I appreciate your suggestion to clone but it's not really an option to me. My PC is in the attic, thats why I have a single HDMI cable leading down the living room and split the audio to my amplifier.

I will try to see how to get the EDID from the splitter.

Could you pass the EDID for the Benq with 5.1 audio? I programmed the splitter to retrieve the EDID from connected devices and the Benq detected by Windows (not the Panasonic).

regards
post #2003 of 3181 Old 03-09-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Could you pass the EDID for the Benq with 5.1 audio? I programmed the splitter to retrieve the EDID from connected devices and the Benq detected by Windows (not the Panasonic).

Yes.

post #2004 of 3181 Old 03-09-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Yes.
using MonInfo I have two .inf's.

inf benq octava.zip 2.220703125k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip inf benq octava.zip (2.2 KB, 1 views)
post #2005 of 3181 Old 03-09-2012, 12:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
using MonInfo I have two .inf's.
The Benq EDID audio block is completely messed up. Fixed it. The Octava splitter EDID has only the base block.

benqw1000plus(--FIXED).zip 1.203125k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip benqw1000plus(--FIXED).zip (1.2 KB, 3 views)

post #2006 of 3181 Old 03-10-2012, 03:13 AM

Quote:

The Benq EDID audio block is completely messed up. Fixed it. The Octava splitter EDID has only the base block.

Hmmm, supported formats show DTS & Dolby Digital but still only 2 channels (see jpeg).

I read this is an nvidia problem. Could anyone confirm this limitation?

This is my card http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N560GTX-Ti-Hawk.html
LL
post #2007 of 3181 Old 03-10-2012, 04:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Hmmm, supported formats show DTS & Dolby Digital but still only 2 channels (see jpeg).

I read this is an nvidia problem. Could anyone confirm this limitation?

This is my card http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N560GTX-Ti-Hawk.html
If audio is "toslink" (S/PDIF)from the splitter, as you mentioned before, that is correct, i. e. 2 channels uncompressed or multichannel compressed audio is the limit for S/PDIF bandwidth.

Otherwise I've added a full audio block ...

benqw1000plus(--FULL_AUDIO).zip 1.236328125k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip benqw1000plus(--FULL_AUDIO).zip (1.2 KB, 4 views)

post #2008 of 3181 Old 03-12-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:

If audio is "toslink" (S/PDIF)from the splitter, as you mentioned before, that is correct, i. e. 2 channels uncompressed or multichannel compressed audio is the limit for S/PDIF bandwidth.

Otherwise I've added a full audio block ...

Thanks, same problem however. Windows only 'sees' 2 channels. But I can manual select in VLC 2.0 audio "A52 over S/PIF" and this works!

I will try some more when I have the time

regards!
post #2009 of 3181 Old 03-14-2012, 03:41 PM

I was referred to this thread from another forum, and have read through SOOO many pages of this thread that I am unsure if I have overlooked my answer?

Here is my problem...

I purchased a new receiver, however I am not able to get my HTPC to be recognized on my TV. My DVR (DISH) works fine, and the TV is working fine as well with the new AVR. The HDMI's work fine, as well as all the ports and inputs. I know this due to I had plugged in the DVR into the BR port and other ports on the AVR, and all worked accordingly.

When I choose the DVR input on the receiver, the TV displays the DISH's content. When I switch to the BR input on the receiver (where I have the HTPC plugged into), the AVR recognizes that there is an HDMI component hooked up, however the TV does not display the HTPC. It just says "No Signal". I have tried plugging it into the AVR's DVD input, and the VIDEO 1 input to if the BR input may have been bad. Still no dice.

When plugging the HTPC directly to the TV, everything works great. All movies and videos are fine. Just when I take that same HDMI cable from the HTPC and plug it into the AVR, the TV says "No Signal".

My prior setup when having an older Denon AVR was HTPC via HDMI > TV > receiver via optical. My sole purpose of purchasing a new AVR was to get REAL HD sound using HDMI.

Here are my specs:
Receiver - Pioneer VSX-821-k
TV - VIZIO VM60P
Sound card - EVGA 512-P3-1140-TR GeForce GTS 250 512MB 256-bit DDR3

Thanks for any help!!

post #2010 of 3181 Old 03-14-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ne2woBe View Post

I was referred to this thread from another forum, and have read through SOOO many pages of this thread that I am unsure if I have overlooked my answer?

Here is my problem...

I purchased a new receiver, however I am not able to get my HTPC to be recognized on my TV. My DVR (DISH) works fine, and the TV is working fine as well with the new AVR. The HDMI's work fine, as well as all the ports and inputs. I know this due to I had plugged in the DVR into the BR port and other ports on the AVR, and all worked accordingly.

When I choose the DVR input on the receiver, the TV displays the DISH's content. When I switch to the BR input on the receiver (where I have the HTPC plugged into), the AVR recognizes that there is an HDMI component hooked up, however the TV does not display the HTPC. It just says "No Signal". I have tried plugging it into the AVR's DVD input, and the VIDEO 1 input to if the BR input may have been bad. Still no dice.

When plugging the HTPC directly to the TV, everything works great. All movies and videos are fine. Just when I take that same HDMI cable from the HTPC and plug it into the AVR, the TV says "No Signal".

My prior setup when having an older Denon AVR was HTPC via HDMI > TV > receiver via optical. My sole purpose of purchasing a new AVR was to get REAL HD sound using HDMI.

Here are my specs:
Receiver - Pioneer VSX-821-k
TV - VIZIO VM60P
Sound card - EVGA 512-P3-1140-TR GeForce GTS 250 512MB 256-bit DDR3

Thanks for any help!!

Should be a problem with the native resolution of the Vizio not being standard HDTV, which is required by the AVR.

I googled and according to this link it is in fact 1366x768.

So there are 2 possible solutions:

1. Use separate connections to the TV and AVR (best solution for 1:1 pixel mapping).

2. Override the EDID so that the preferred resolution is 1280x720.

For option 2 please capture and post the real-time EDID of the Vizio and I'll have a look a it to mod it (see link in my sig. for instructions).

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page