MediaPortal Install Guide - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1429 Old 01-07-2009, 03:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

the internal player is still not as good as MPC, so I'm using it as an external player

What additional features would you like MediaPortal to have for it to be as good as MPC as a video player?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1429 Old 01-07-2009, 12:24 PM

Is the MPC codec good enough for 1080p MKVs or should I go with Core AVC?
post #273 of 1429 Old 01-07-2009, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny888 View Post

Is the MPC codec good enough for 1080p MKVs or should I go with Core AVC?

That is all I use for mkv's, both AVC and VC1 run smoothly using an ATI 4670.
post #274 of 1429 Old 01-07-2009, 12:57 PM

Using this guide i installed media portal successfully. Thanks..

Currently I have mediaportal configured to access my media files over the wireless network on a usb drive connected to another computer. Its really slow accessing the various files so i want to transfer them to my internal SATA drive. My problem is, ive already downloaded all the IMDB info for my movies... Will i have to do this again when i copy the files over and point to the new location? or is there a way to access the previously downloaded IMDB info?

edit:
Disregard... I got the answer. I didnt have mymovies setup and now that i do... i understand what to do. Sorry
post #275 of 1429 Old 01-08-2009, 08:49 PM

When I try to register the MPC Video Decoder I get the error below in Vista 32 bit. Any ideas how to register MPC V. Decoder correctly in Vista?

post #276 of 1429 Old 01-09-2009, 03:13 AM

Great guide OP,

I installed as per the guide and MP works great. One problem I have tho, is that in the TVseries and Moving Pictures plugin, there is no text at all.

E.g In TVseries, only the banner of the series show up, no series explanation, no season or episode explanation either. I have unchecked the "hide explanation for unwatched files".

Also, in the weather section, I can only seem to get one image (satellite) to show up. I have configured weather for all of the images.

Have I missed something obvious?

Thanks

I am running the latest MP and Streamed MP on 1280 x 720 projector, TV series installed as "default" on Vista Ultimate
post #277 of 1429 Old 01-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
mbeutler, make sure you are running cmd as administrator (right click, 'run as administrator') when you do the command

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Last update 5/20/13)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #278 of 1429 Old 01-09-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeutler1203 View Post

When I try to register the MPC Video Decoder I get the error below in Vista 32 bit. Any ideas how to register MPC V. Decoder correctly in Vista?

Did you run it as Administrator?

http://itsvista.com/2006/12/itsvista...administrator/
post #279 of 1429 Old 01-10-2009, 12:13 AM

appreciate the guide

even though i've re-installed MP a few times when new updates came out, the guide takes a lot of the guess work out of trying to remember which steps i'd taken the last time.
post #280 of 1429 Old 01-10-2009, 01:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39
What do people think about the speed of Media Portal? I don't know if its the skin or the program itself, but its not snappy and smooth, and I can see lag when I am scrolling through lots of movies.
post #281 of 1429 Old 01-10-2009, 01:57 AM

Please post you HW specs
post #282 of 1429 Old 01-10-2009, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Speedwise loading is the worst part compared to vmc, but only if I had to complain, which I don't. It is a cracking app.
post #283 of 1429 Old 01-10-2009, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
great guide!! and if not b/c of this detailed guide, I probably won't give it another try!! (4+yr Meedio user here, but I like MP more than Meedio now!!)

a couple question tho! I couldn't get it to show weather info in the home screen?? (using home screen, not basic home screen) I only want weather info, not rss feed info.

second, is there any way to tell MP to use (e.g. PDVD or TMT) when it encounter a bluray iso?? but leave everything else to use MP's internal player! e.g. tell MP to use PDVD/TMT to play like .m2ts file, but all other kind of files just sticks w/ the internal player. could MP do that?? (Meedio could)

lastly, do anyone knows how often does MP "refresh" the library (in moving picture and tvseries)?? like if I drop a new file into the folder, how long will MP show it's available?

~ Gary

)

post #284 of 1429 Old 01-10-2009, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

great guide!! and if not b/c of this detailed guide, I probably won't give it another try!! (4+yr Meedio user here, but I like MP more than Meedio now!!)

a couple question tho! I couldn't get it to show weather info in the home screen?? (using home screen, not basic home screen) I only want weather info, not rss feed info.

Did you add your cities of choice in MediaPortal Configuration under the Weather section? You'll only see weather info in the home screen if you do that.

Quote:

second, is there any way to tell MP to use (e.g. PDVD or TMT) when it encounter a bluray iso?? but leave everything else to use MP's internal player! e.g. tell MP to use PDVD/TMT to play like .m2ts file, but all other kind of files just sticks w/ the internal player. could MP do that?? (Meedio could)

Not sure. I just use the HD-starter plug-in available at the MP forums and launch PDVD from the home screen.

Quote:

lastly, do anyone knows how often does MP "refresh" the library (in moving picture and tvseries)?? like if I drop a new file into the folder, how long will MP show it's available?

The refresh is usually immediate. Once you drop a new file in both of those plug-ins should refresh.

I need to update the guide to reflect the latest 1.0 version of MediaPortal. I'll do so as soon as I get a chance to upgrade my own HTPC. Been quite busy of late...

post #285 of 1429 Old 01-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone had any success with either eletronic program guide (in the US through webepg plugin) or using My Emulators?

EPG doesnt grab any schedules and when I choose my emulators from the main menu it just goes to a blank screen. I'm using the Streamed MP skin.

Thanks!

(Last update 5/20/13)

post #286 of 1429 Old 01-10-2009, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daMaster View Post

Did you add your cities of choice in MediaPortal Configuration under the Weather section? You'll only see weather info in the home screen if you do that.

Not sure. I just use the HD-starter plug-in available at the MP forums and launch PDVD from the home screen.

The refresh is usually immediate. Once you drop a new file in both of those plug-ins should refresh.

I need to update the guide to reflect the latest 1.0 version of MediaPortal. I'll do so as soon as I get a chance to upgrade my own HTPC. Been quite busy of late...

yes, I did add the city and inside Weather, it'll show my weather forecast. but just not on the home screen like most screenshots I've seen.

w/ the HD-starter plug-in you've mentioned, does it just launch PDVD on click, or when selected a Bluray movie (ISO) inside Moving Picture, it will automatically use PDVD to play the movie?

~ Gary

)

post #287 of 1429 Old 01-10-2009, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post

Has anyone had any success with either eletronic program guide (in the US through webepg plugin) or using My Emulators?

EPG doesnt grab any schedules and when I choose my emulators from the main menu it just goes to a blank screen. I'm using the Streamed MP skin.

Thanks!

yeah, i would like to try the TV section of MP too! another setup guide for TV for us US user will be great!!

(I've tried to add the tuner card, but it doesn't or I don't know how to get the program guide......

~ Gary

)

post #288 of 1429 Old 01-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

yeah, i would like to try the TV section of MP too! another setup guide for TV for us US user will be great!!

(I've tried to add the tuner card, but it doesn't or I don't know how to get the program guide......

I have been working on TV setup for the past few days now on my Hauppauge HVR 1250. I got it to scan my ATSC channels but can't for my life get any kind of program guide working.

Quick tip: In TV Server Setup on the left pane where it shows your tv server and then below that your capture cards, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES highlight your tv server and click 'delete'. I did that and then lost my capture cards on the left and so could never access the tv channel scanner for my capture cards. I finally "solved" it by completely removing media portal, sql server, and visual studio and reinstalling.

:edit:screenshot for clarity

(Last update 5/20/13)

post #289 of 1429 Old 01-10-2009, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yes, I did add the city and inside Weather, it'll show my weather forecast. but just not on the home screen like most screenshots I've seen.

I have no idea why this would happen. Which version of MediaPortal and StreamedMP skin are you using? Have you searched/asked over at the MP forum?

Quote:

w/ the HD-starter plug-in you've mentioned, does it just launch PDVD on click, or when selected a Bluray movie (ISO) inside Moving Picture, it will automatically use PDVD to play the movie?

No, it's not quite so seamless. I have to choose the "Watch a Blu-Ray" menu option on the home screen and it minimizes MediaPortal and launches and maximizes PowerDVD.

post #290 of 1429 Old 01-10-2009, 08:51 PM

Can someone tell me how I can bind the "BLURAY" option available in the StreamedMP editor to the HD Starter plugin? I am using the HD Starter to play BluRay discs through PDVD, but I have to jump through a number of hoops to get to it in the portal menus, so I want to add a link right in the main menu (Just like is shown in the screen shot of this guides' 1st page) but it doesn't do anything. Currently, BLURAY defaults to the arcsoft option so I just left it that thinking maybe it would play in TMT, but there is no option to bind it to the HD Starter (nor anything seemingly relevant). Is there an xml somewhere I can add to the StreamedMP directory to bind this, or some other way to set it up? TYIA.
post #291 of 1429 Old 01-10-2009, 09:22 PM

Well, I guess I answered my own question. For those interested, here is how I did it:

/* Note: This presumes that you already have the HD Starter installed. I setup mine based on the following guide: http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/pl...olution-32268/ Are there better options...likely...I'm a MP n00b as of this morning */
  1. Open the Media Portal Configuration utility and go into the plugins section
  2. Right click on the HD Starter plugin and select Configuration. Note the PluginID number (mine was 8910). This number will be used later on. You can close out of the Config util.
  3. Locate and make a copy of the arcsoftplayer.xml file located in ..\\Program Files\\Team MediaPortal\\MediaPortal\\skin\\StreamedMP
  4. Rename the copied file to something distinct (i.e. HDStarter.xml)
  5. Open the copied and renamed file in a text editor, Notepad will work fine
  6. Locate and change the ID value in the xml to the one noted from the configuration screen of the HD Starter plugin. Save the file.
  7. Open the Streamed MP Editor and select "BLURAY" from the drop down list of Available Items
  8. In the list of options under the Items Available, you will now see the new HDStarter option (or whatever you named the xml to), select that option. Setup the Label, Name, and Folder options as desired. (i.e. Label: "WATCH YOUR"; Name: "BR HD-DVD"; Folder: "movies")
  9. Click "Add>>" to add the new option to your "Items Selected" list.
  10. Click "Generate" to create a new Basic config file.

Thats it. The Bluray/HD option should now be available in the main menu (Will appear depending on your Label and Name values as set in the StreamMP Editor), and launch based on how your HD Starter is setup.
post #292 of 1429 Old 01-11-2009, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Does MediaPortal support the same types of online media that VMC does such as Napster?
post #293 of 1429 Old 01-11-2009, 07:07 PM

Hey daMaster ...

Your guide rocks... I used it when I bought my first HTPC worked perfectly..

I just built a new quad core system with Vista64 Ultimate the issue i have is I can not get MPC Video Decoder: to install I have downloaded the 64 bit version as well still no luck.

Most everything is working but I ahve lost the ability to fast forward movies which is will be a problem..

Any idea's would be appreciated.
post #294 of 1429 Old 01-11-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooddog View Post

Great guide OP,

I installed as per the guide and MP works great. One problem I have tho, is that in the TVseries and Moving Pictures plugin, there is no text at all.

E.g In TVseries, only the banner of the series show up, no series explanation, no season or episode explanation either. I have unchecked the "hide explanation for unwatched files".

Also, in the weather section, I can only seem to get one image (satellite) to show up. I have configured weather for all of the images.

Have I missed something obvious?

I found a solution to my problem if anyone else has encountered this. To fix the text issue in TVseries and Moving Pictures, I needed to maked sure that the animations in general settings were enabled. Not sure if this is a skin bug, because I have never had this issue using the default skin.

I still haven't resolved the weather plugin issue tho, so if someone has any ideas it'd be much appreciated.
post #295 of 1429 Old 01-12-2009, 03:29 AM

For anyone else who usese the weather plugin, the issue has been added to the bugtracker for streamedMP. Issue 91

http://code.google.com/p/streamedmp/issues/list
post #296 of 1429 Old 01-12-2009, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

does anyone know how to set up or get a remote to focus on MediaPortal's window so that button presses will actually work?
post #297 of 1429 Old 01-12-2009, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunx View Post

does anyone know how to set up or get a remote to focus on MediaPortal's window so that button presses will actually work?

I use the MPtray plug-in (search for it on MP's website) and the MCE remote. Whenever I press the green button on the MCE remote it either launches MP or if MP is already launched it gives MP focus.

post #298 of 1429 Old 01-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daMaster View Post

I use the MPtray plug-in (search for it on MP's website) and the MCE remote. Whenever I press the green button on the MCE remote it either launches MP or if MP is already launched it gives MP focus.

I did that and it's not working. When I press the green button it will launch MP or change MP's interface, however the focus would stay elsewhere such as on the desktop. I have to click inside MP's window first for the remote to work.

Update: MpTrayMod adds focus to MpTray. Works fine here.
http://www.team-mediaportal.com/file...put/MpTrayMod/
post #299 of 1429 Old 01-14-2009, 06:10 PM

Is anyone having an issue with Mediaportal not closing when the Streamed MP skin is enabled? The App will dissapear, but it's still running in the task manager list. Becuase of this the app will not start back up unless I terminate the running process.

To cirumvent, I've written a batch file that kills the process before starting it, however I'd be interested to know if anyone else is having this issue...
post #300 of 1429 Old 01-14-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narkotic View Post

Is anyone having an issue with Mediaportal not closing when the Streamed MP skin is enabled? The App will dissapear, but it's still running in the task manager list. Becuase of this the app will not start back up unless I terminate the running process.

To cirumvent, I've written a batch file that kills the process before starting it, however I'd be interested to know if anyone else is having this issue...

Thats not uncommon to happen for just about anything running in windows. I've seen that scenario in countless apps, as I am sure just about anyone here has.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page