MediaPortal Install Guide - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1429 Old 01-31-2009, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes HDMI Audio with an ATI 3450 card. PowerDVD 8, MPV, ffdshow all work as long as AC3Filter isn't installed but I don't get pass through audio. As soon as I install and configure AC3filter I get no video with the same codecs but pass through is working.

When I go into Graphedit and open a VOB file it goes from MPEG Splitter to PowerDVD8 to ffdshow for video. For audio it goes from MPEG Splitter to AC3Filter to the HDMI Audio card directly (no directshow) and it works fine. For some reason when MP tries to do the same thing the video cuts out. But it's repeatable, AC3filter installed no video in MP, uninstalled video works.

DVDs play fine in Windows Media Player and in PowerDVD.

DVDs are unencrypted straight rips, .ts and .vob files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

As you noted, MP is a front-end. It does come with MPVideo codec and MPAudio codec but if you have a favorite already installed you can keep using them. You CAN play a DVD via Windows Media Player, right? Were you using HDMI-audio there? You do have a mpeg-2 video codec registered, right? HOW are you trying to play a ripped DVD? Mounting the .iso via Daemon, or how? Try using MyVideos, select your codecs inside MP-config/Movies and see what happens.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1429 Old 01-31-2009, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
And is this the same Graphedit that opens from within MP? I've personally chosen to NOT use FFDshow for video, and clearly for audio as I use AC3Filter. Which video codec are you wanting to use in MP? Go into MP-Config and see what's listed under DirectShow filters. I've reduced my Merits on MPA as I've had issue w/MPA causing problems in my AC3.
post #363 of 1429 Old 01-31-2009, 07:17 PM

It's a copy of Graphedit I downloaded, didn't realize it was included. I honestly don't care which codec I use but once AC3filter is installed none of them work for DVDs, other videos play, just not ripped DVDs.

It's completely repeatable though, I've installed and uninstalled AC3filter 3 times. How could something that only touches audio make the video go black?
post #364 of 1429 Old 02-01-2009, 12:07 PM

Ended up ditching the built in player and using KMPlayer, works great since I can use AC3filter with it. Using Daemon tools to mount Bluray isos and then PowerDVD automatically fires up to play them. Works pretty slick.

Does anyone know how to get ISOs to work inside of StreamingMP? That would be super slick if they were along side my other DVDs.
post #365 of 1429 Old 02-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Saw this posted on the official MP forum.

Latest beta of Virtual Clonedrive has a daemon.exe for daemon-tools compatibility.

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=25660

I just tried it and it works, no more DT on my HTPC's.
post #366 of 1429 Old 02-03-2009, 09:08 AM

Hey what is up guy. Nice write up!
I am confused, I am building a HTPC and would like to ripe movies that I own to the drive, about 485 ST DVD. I dont know if this system software is what I need. I have not messed with computers for a couple of years so I am not up on the latest and greatest. Would like to know if anyone could guide me through the purchase of a system and setup? or any recomendations you would have would be great.

Thanks
post #367 of 1429 Old 02-03-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibael View Post

http://www.4therecord.eu/

Yep. It's pretty cool, but it doesn't yet work with Schedules Direct. Though at least they're working on a bridge program for that, so I'm hopeful.

SchedulesDirect support should be entering BETA state real soon now, yes.
post #368 of 1429 Old 02-03-2009, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Good. I've heard the standby/resume is better with FTR than it is with Powerscheduler (I get awful errors on that).

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
post #369 of 1429 Old 02-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Good news for HA and Subtitles support in the future. Looks like someone integrated the MPC-HC subtitle functionality into MP. The devs said possibly for a 1.02 release.
post #370 of 1429 Old 02-03-2009, 11:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daMaster View Post

I disagree: the MCE remote does work out-of-the-box. The blaster functionality is an additional feature that may not be supported, and I've never tried that myself. The majority of folks are not even using the blaster functionality, and thus the likely reason for the lack of support.

I agree, the documentation is indeed quite dated. However, the install and configuration guides are still quite relevant.

For me it wasn't an issue of having problems with VMC but really the lack of configuration, control and tweakability of VMC. Not to mention the blander interface. MediaPortal does so much more for me than VMC ever could do and it's so much sexier.

I have posted many threads with my problems and I have not received even one reply that solves any of my problems. It has always been a constant R&D effort to get things working. It has been over 1 month since I have been trying to get the MCE Blaster thing working.

I have even asked for a working remote+blaster setup that would work out of the box and I have received no response. The support from the developers is next to nothing these days.

That is where VMC scores over MP. It has a great working remote+blaster solution that simply JUST WORKS. No plugins and such crap. No need to be at the mercy of the plugin developers. To top it all, the AVS and greenbutton community is always there to come to your rescue.

In my earlier days of HTPC, I had plenty of questions and almost all were answered within a few minutes here at AVS. Try that on MP support forums. You would have to be extremely lucky to get even one response. I would rather take my odds at the powerball than getting proper help and support on the MP forums. (example: http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mc...isabled-53932/).

Thanks
Srikanth Koka
post #371 of 1429 Old 02-04-2009, 03:32 AM

In the guide it is said to install all kinds of codecs before installing mediaportal. But when you select 'Watch HD content' MediaPortal installer asks again to install MPC and some other codec. I should deselect these options since they have been preconfigured I guess?

Also, can someone tell me which ATI drivers are best to use? I don't want the AVIVO codecs anymore since they don't play all TV channels properly.

At present I'm using an HD2600XT card vor video (disabled HDMI audio) I have an Auzentech via SPDIF connected to my AVR4306 Denon Amp. This works properly.

I'm also running a Windows 2003 Server with the Digital Everywhere kit connected via Firewire to my server. Decodes all Ziggo (Dutch provider) HD channels properly. MediaPortal client plays all TV streams via 1Gb internal network.

Going to install a fresh Windows XP SP3 install and create an image before I begin. Will post installation steps when finished for others. I'm a long term MediaPortal user.
post #372 of 1429 Old 02-04-2009, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoka123 View Post

I have posted many threads with my problems and I have not received even one reply that solves any of my problems. It has always been a constant R&D effort to get things working. It has been over 1 month since I have been trying to get the MCE Blaster thing working.

I have even asked for a working remote+blaster setup that would work out of the box and I have received no response. The support from the developers is next to nothing these days.

That is where VMC scores over MP. It has a great working remote+blaster solution that simply JUST WORKS. No plugins and such crap. No need to be at the mercy of the plugin developers. To top it all, the AVS and greenbutton community is always there to come to your rescue.

In my earlier days of HTPC, I had plenty of questions and almost all were answered within a few minutes here at AVS. Try that on MP support forums. You would have to be extremely lucky to get even one response. I would rather take my odds at the powerball than getting proper help and support on the MP forums. (example: http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mc...isabled-53932/).

The major issue is that Microsoft kept the implementation of the blaster functionality on the MCE remote hidden and has not provided an API for developers to access that functionality. As a result, developers are left guessing what needs to be done and therefore the MP developers decided not to put this into the core software product as it was too speculative and rather unstable. The implementation is then provided by other developers in the form of plug-ins, which as you have experienced first-hand, don't work that well.

The other issue is that not that many folks are using the blaster functionality with MP, and thus the lack of support.
post #373 of 1429 Old 02-04-2009, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RutgerDB View Post

In the guide it is said to install all kinds of codecs before installing mediaportal. But when you select 'Watch HD content' MediaPortal installer asks again to install MPC and some other codec. I should deselect these options since they have been preconfigured I guess?

I have not seen this option in the MP 1.0 installer. Are you using a recent SVN weekly installer?

Quote:

Also, can someone tell me which ATI drivers are best to use? I don't want the AVIVO codecs anymore since they don't play all TV channels properly.

ATI Catalyst 9.1 drivers were released late last week and based on preliminary user reports it seems to be working rather well, which is saying a lot for ATI drivers.
post #374 of 1429 Old 02-04-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoka123 View Post

I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time. I am a convert from VMC and I had many issues as well but every single post at MP was answered. It may not always be the right solution but someone always tries to help. Even with your example above, someone has answered you and tried to help. I hope it solves your ir blaster issues.
post #375 of 1429 Old 02-04-2009, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which codecs are you using already for DVD (Mpeg-2) now? If you have a working video codec you do not need to install theirs -- MP will detect the codec and make it available for selection within the MP-Config application. The same philosophy goes for audio -- I use AC3Filter to passthrough SPDIF to my Onkyo.
post #376 of 1429 Old 02-04-2009, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Hey guys,

I installed MediaPortal following this awesome guide. Everything worked great for awhile. I installed all new drivers, clean install of codecs. I am however now experiencing a dumb problem. No movies will show video in MediaPortal. I can hear audio, and when I pause I can see a paused movie. When I play movies outside of MediaPortal, they work just fine.

I've tried just about everything that I can think of. I re-installed MediaPortal and every codec.

My setup is something like this:
Asus Mobo
Core 2 Quad 2.4
4 Gig G.skill Ram
Sapphire Radeon X1600 pro HDMI

Thanks
post #377 of 1429 Old 02-05-2009, 09:49 AM

Hi
For those who wants to use Cyberlink powerDVD mpeg2 codec(which is much better than ffdshow) for playback of standart DVD there is a guide to install
http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/co...tal-saf-44614/

Standalone filters for MediaPortal (SAF)
post #378 of 1429 Old 02-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked View Post

Good news for HA and Subtitles support in the future. Looks like someone integrated the MPC-HC subtitle functionality into MP. The devs said possibly for a 1.02 release.

http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/ge...-engine-54130/

If you're running svn 21527, you can try the integrated subtitle MPC-HC support.
post #379 of 1429 Old 02-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The major issue is that Microsoft kept the implementation of the blaster functionality on the MCE remote hidden and has not provided an API for developers to access that functionality. As a result, developers are left guessing what needs to be done and therefore the MP developers decided not to put this into the core software product as it was too speculative and rather unstable. The implementation is then provided by other developers in the form of plug-ins, which as you have experienced first-hand, don't work that well.

The other issue is that not that many folks are using the blaster functionality with MP, and thus the lack of support.

daMaster,

You should just put a disclaimer for people using the blaster that MP doesn't support it well or if at all. I didn't even know a MS blaster existed, and just because the blaster doesn't work doesn't mean the MCE remote doesn't as well. MCE remote works out of the box with MP.
post #380 of 1429 Old 02-05-2009, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked View Post

http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/ge...-engine-54130/

If you're running svn 21527, you can try the integrated subtitle MPC-HC support.

WOW! That's amazing news. I must try this out, thanks for sharing.
post #381 of 1429 Old 02-06-2009, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

Hey guys,

I installed MediaPortal following this awesome guide. Everything worked great for awhile. I installed all new drivers, clean install of codecs. I am however now experiencing a dumb problem. No movies will show video in MediaPortal. I can hear audio, and when I pause I can see a paused movie. When I play movies outside of MediaPortal, they work just fine.

I've tried just about everything that I can think of. I re-installed MediaPortal and every codec.

My setup is something like this:
Asus Mobo
Core 2 Quad 2.4
4 Gig G.skill Ram
Sapphire Radeon X1600 pro HDMI

Thanks

Probably some issue with your video filters. Get Graphedit or Graphstudio, run it and run Mediaportal in a window, play the movie. While the movie is playing, Click on Connect to Remote Graph with Graphedit or Graphstudio and have a look at what your playback graph looks like (i.e. what filters are being used to play your video).

Jim
post #382 of 1429 Old 02-06-2009, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Hey Guys

I've been running this fine on my HTPC (WinXPSP3) but after putting W7 on another partition back in Jan, I've been using W7+VMC for the most part (found a way to play MKV's thru MCE).

One of the main feature I miss in VMC is the "14.9" aspect zoom available in MediaPortal. I use a projector with a 120" screen so I like to zoom out the black borders (for cinemascope movies) and I found the 14:9 aspect is the best one since it stretches the movies without too much cropping.

Did anyone try MP on W7 yet?

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
XBL Tag: TacoKommando
My small HT setup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27565515@N04/

post #383 of 1429 Old 02-06-2009, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post

Probably some issue with your video filters. Get Graphedit or Graphstudio, run it and run Mediaportal in a window, play the movie. While the movie is playing, Click on Connect to Remote Graph with Graphedit or Graphstudio and have a look at what your playback graph looks like (i.e. what filters are being used to play your video).

Thank you for your reply

Turns out it was the graphics driver, catalyst 9.1 that was the problem. Un-installed and then installed 8.12 and my huge problem is gone.

Much thanks to X4mer over at the media portal forums.
post #384 of 1429 Old 02-06-2009, 09:06 PM

I can't get MPCVideoDecoder to show up under DirectShow Filters in RadLight Filter Manager

I created the folders exactly as described and registered it. Then when that didn't work I created another one in Program Files (x86) and registered that one, but it still didn't show up.

Because I am using Vista 64-bit, I downloaded the file located here:

sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=170561&use_mirror=superb-west&filename=mpchc_x64_v1.2.908.0_MPCVideoDec.zip&40319147

Should I download the one as described in the thread instead of this one?

Or should I be doing something else so that it works and shows up in RadLight.

Thanks for any help~
post #385 of 1429 Old 02-06-2009, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragster View Post

Hey Guys

I've been running this fine on my HTPC (WinXPSP3) but after putting W7 on another partition back in Jan, I've been using W7+VMC for the most part (found a way to play MKV's thru MCE).

One of the main feature I miss in VMC is the "14.9" aspect zoom available in MediaPortal. I use a projector with a 120" screen so I like to zoom out the black borders (for cinemascope movies) and I found the 14:9 aspect is the best one since it stretches the movies without too much cropping.

Did anyone try MP on W7 yet?

Haven't tried W7 yet. I'm running my HTPC on a light-weight version of Vista which I stripped down using vLite and it's very stable and fast. But that's for another guide on another day

Why don't you give MP on W7 a shot and report back on how it goes? It might not even work or it might work perfectly fine. Can't know until you try

Quote:
Originally Posted by OME9A View Post

I can't get MPCVideoDecoder to show up under DirectShow Filters in RadLight Filter Manager

I created the folders exactly as described and registered it. Then when that didn't work I created another one in Program Files (x86) and registered that one, but it still didn't show up.

sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=170561&use_mirror=superb-west&filename=mpchc_x64_v1.2.908.0_MPCVideoDec.zip&40319147

Thanks for any help~

Are you using the latest Radlight, version 1.6? You can get it here: http://www.dvbviewer.com/griga/rlfm_bin1_6.zip

When you ran regsvr32 to register the codec, did it give you a message that it was registered successfully?
post #386 of 1429 Old 02-06-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:

Are you using the latest Radlight, version 1.6? You can get it here: dvbviewer.com/griga/rlfm_bin1_6.zip

When you ran regsvr32 to register the codec, did it give you a message that it was registered successfully?

I just removed the older 1.5 version and used 1.6, still nothing. There is an MPC MPEG-2 filter, but it's location is in the CCCP folder in program files, so I know it's not that one.

And yes, it did give me a successful message after registering it
post #387 of 1429 Old 02-07-2009, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones20 View Post

Ended up ditching the built in player and using KMPlayer, works great since I can use AC3filter with it. Using Daemon tools to mount Bluray isos and then PowerDVD automatically fires up to play them. Works pretty slick.

Does anyone know how to get ISOs to work inside of StreamingMP? That would be super slick if they were along side my other DVDs.

could you please give me more detail as how to set it up?? I wanna to start backing up my bluray movies and play it from MP. and I want to use a different program other than the internal player to play the bluray backups while having the internal player (or other player) for my regular video files (rmvb, mkv, etc.)

tks!!
post #388 of 1429 Old 02-07-2009, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ATI Catalyst 9.1 drivers were released late last week and based on preliminary user reports it seems to be working rather well, which is saying a lot for ATI drivers.

We all need to be diligent with new drivers... Here's an example where new untested drivers caused this guy several nights of headache and may have poisioned his opinion of the MP application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

Thank you for your reply

Turns out it was the graphics driver, catalyst 9.1 that was the problem. Un-installed and then installed 8.12 and my huge problem is gone.

Much thanks to X4mer over at the media portal forums.

post #389 of 1429 Old 02-07-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OME9A View Post

Thanks for any help~

Don't forget that for MediaPortal you need 32bit MPCVideoDec, not 64 bit
post #390 of 1429 Old 02-07-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salajm View Post

Don't forget that for MediaPortal you need 32bit MPCVideoDec, not 64 bit

Are you positive? Mediaportal has a 64-bit installation too...

When I install it lets me choose 32-bit or 64-bit
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page