post #91 of 1429 Old 12-09-2008, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked View Post

PVR, TV functionality is a core part of Mediaportal. Pretty much why I don't use XBMC too. However, getting TV working can be a PITA. You need to install TVServer and MS SQLServer Express, but the auto-installer takes care of most of it for you. Just follow the documentation on the MP site.

That's right: TvServer is auto-installed if you choose "Yes, I will use MediaPortal to watch TV" during the MediaPortal installation. Then you need to install either Microsoft SQLServer or MySQL (I prefer the latter). Details about TvServer configuration, tuning, etc. can be found on the MediaPortal Wiki here: http://www.team-mediaportal.com/manual/Home

The purpose of my guide wasn't to replace MediaPortal's wonderful documentation, but rather to introduce AVS people to MediaPortal and provide a quick and easy set-up guide, since it seems a lot of people find installing MediaPortal a daunting task and just use Windows Media Center cuz it's already there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1429 Old 12-09-2008, 02:24 PM

Liked: 10
I have a lot of movies split in two files, when I try to play them in MP whenever it reaches the end of first file it quits to Windows. Does it happen for anyone else?
post #93 of 1429 Old 12-09-2008, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfurm View Post

I have a lot of movies split in two files, when I try to play them in MP whenever it reaches the end of first file it quits to Windows. Does it happen for anyone else?

Sorry, I can't help you there as all of my video files are a single file. Whenever I have videos split across two files I join them using VirtualDubMod. You may try asking this question over at the MediaPortal forums and posting logs in case it's a bug.
post #94 of 1429 Old 12-09-2008, 02:33 PM

I gave up on the TV part of MediaPortal a long Time ago. I never could, and still can't, get it to work, nor the EPG data. Windows MCE works flawlessly though. I have my satellite receiver going through S-video to a hauppauge Win-TV-PVR-USB2 and MCE and ORB both work great and have great EPG's and control the channel changing through the MCE IR.
post #95 of 1429 Old 12-09-2008, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I went through all the hoops installing this, and loading all my tv shows and movies, and then when I go to play anything, the screen flickers for a second and then nothing happens...I'm still at the menu.

Tried switching between the MPC decoder and ffdshow, but no difference. Lame.

Edit:Fixed, I had turned EVR on in the DirectShow Filter options. Switching back to VMR9 worked.
post #96 of 1429 Old 12-09-2008, 06:12 PM

What have people found to be the best way to view their Music? I hate the folder approach. I read on the Media Portal forums about switching from Shares to something else like Artist or Album Artist, but when I do that I get a status bar that never goes away.
post #97 of 1429 Old 12-09-2008, 06:52 PM

Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by daMaster View Post

That's right: TvServer is auto-installed if you choose "Yes, I will use MediaPortal to watch TV" during the MediaPortal installation. Then you need to install either Microsoft SQLServer or MySQL (I prefer the latter). Details about TvServer configuration, tuning, etc. can be found on the MediaPortal Wiki here: http://www.team-mediaportal.com/manual/Home

The purpose of my guide wasn't to replace MediaPortal's wonderful documentation, but rather to introduce AVS people to MediaPortal and provide a quick and easy set-up guide, since it seems a lot of people find installing MediaPortal a daunting task and just use Windows Media Center cuz it's already there!

Good to know, thanks everyone!
post #98 of 1429 Old 12-10-2008, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm ready to give up on VMC and DRM... tired of getting Restricted Content bluescreens triggered by (believe it or not) Lipitor commercials!

I was contemplating going to SAGE and then started reading this thread... cost aside, I'd like to know the pro's and con's if anyone knows... or else I fear I'll be setting up a dual-boot and comparing them that way... not a pleasent thought...

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #99 of 1429 Old 12-10-2008, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I haven't used Sage, but I swear by MediaPortal. I've encountered very few issues which were not related to Directshow filters or drivers, and thus plagued me on other players as well. About the only complaint of sorts I have is not being able to tinker with the Dshow filter settings from the GUI-- have to go into the Configuration utility for that.

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
post #100 of 1429 Old 12-10-2008, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibael View Post

I haven't used Sage, but I swear by MediaPortal. I've encountered very few issues which were not related to Directshow filters or drivers, and thus plagued me on other players as well. About the only complaint of sorts I have is not being able to tinker with the Dshow filter settings from the GUI-- have to go into the Configuration utility for that.

You can definitely choose your Dshow filters in the MP GUI. I do it all the time to test different H.264 decoders. Just hit "H" on your keyboard when you're in the main menu (or press "Menu" on your MCE remote) and it'll take you to another main menu in which you'll find "Settings". Once in "Settings" go to "My Videos" and from there you can choose which Dshow filters to use for: MPEG2, H.264, and audio.
post #101 of 1429 Old 12-10-2008, 12:49 PM

Did you ever consider using the SAF codecs ? (Stand alone filters for MediaPortal)
post #102 of 1429 Old 12-10-2008, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

I'm ready to give up on VMC and DRM... tired of getting Restricted Content bluescreens triggered by (believe it or not) Lipitor commercials!

I was contemplating going to SAGE and then started reading this thread... cost aside, I'd like to know the pro's and con's if anyone knows... or else I fear I'll be setting up a dual-boot and comparing them that way... not a pleasent thought...

SageTV is more of a fire and forget type solution. It runs it's proprietary decoders I believe(someone else will have to confirm), and you're paying for ease of installation/use. Mediaportal definitely will take more time to setup the way you want, but it's highly customizable. If you're a tinkerer then you'd probably lean towards MP. I personally like to have control over my video/audio decoders and one of the biggest reasons I use MP.
post #103 of 1429 Old 12-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You can definitely choose your Dshow filters in the MP GUI. I do it all the time to test different H.264 decoders. Just hit "H" on your keyboard when you're in the main menu (or press "Menu" on your MCE remote) and it'll take you to another main menu in which you'll find "Settings". Once in "Settings" go to "My Videos" and from there you can choose which Dshow filters to use for: MPEG2, H.264, and audio.

Think he means actual decoder settings not which decoder to use. For example, Use DXVA, Set Deinterlacing to Smart vs Bob, etc.
post #104 of 1429 Old 12-10-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:

What have people found to be the best way to view their Music? I hate the folder approach. I read on the Media Portal forums about switching from Shares to something else like Artist or Album Artist, but when I do that I get a status bar that never goes away.

Could you please explain exactly what you see?

Using "shares" is not recommended. The database(DB)-views are much faster and looks much better no matter how could you sorted your files.

So:
1. Make sure MP3's are properly tagged
2. Scan album
- Optional: Register for Last.fm and use the Audioscrobbler-plugin to get Album/Artis-art (pictures, covers)
3. Customize you views (ie. delete grouping)
4. Use DB-view - and enjoy
post #105 of 1429 Old 12-10-2008, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked View Post

Think he means actual decoder settings not which decoder to use. For example, Use DXVA, Set Deinterlacing to Smart vs Bob, etc.

Bingo! If there was a way to do this in the GUI, I would never have to "exit to DOS" as it were.

but I do work there.
post #106 of 1429 Old 12-10-2008, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spragleknas View Post

Did you ever consider using the SAF codecs ? (Stand alone filters for MediaPortal)

Actually, I used the audio codec for a while and liked it a lot, but I had stutter when running DVDs with DTS, and that didn't go away until I replaced it with AC3Filter.

The MPV codec was decent as well, though the Auto setting had a tendency to blend when it should have bobbed, causing all of my interlaced material to look like a cartoon (30fps instead of 60fps) unless I specifically set it to Bob. And setting to Bob broke playback of progressive material.

Which is actually, in an amazing coincidence, exactly why I always wanted to be able to set the filter settings in the GUI: wanted to be able to set it to Bob for interlaced and Auto for progressive.

but I do work there.
post #107 of 1429 Old 12-10-2008, 01:15 PM

I did an install last night. I cloned my drive to a new HDD so I had easy restore ability.

The install went smoothly enough. Things looked good and worked well, except for two items.

1. Takes FOREVER to load MediaPortal. It just sits there waiting for about 2 minutes (a guess, felt like forever) until it starts to work. This is a minor issue, provided Windows does not need to be rebooted right before you want to watch a show.

2. Could not get the Live TV portion to work. I did not spend a lot of time digging into it, due to it being late, but I have your average, run of the mill M780 AverMedia combo tuner card. The EPG is a bit complicated...simply figuring out what you need to do in order to get the EPG for my area of the US.

I hope they flush out these items, for I liked the way it looked and felt. Once an actual installer is made, one that sets up the system (like VMC does) to be a PVR and JukeBox, it will be a great program.
post #108 of 1429 Old 12-10-2008, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I did an install last night. I cloned my drive to a new HDD so I had easy restore ability.

The install went smoothly enough. Things looked good and worked well, except for two items.

1. Takes FOREVER to load MediaPortal. It just sits there waiting for about 2 minutes (a guess, felt like forever) until it starts to work. This is a minor issue, provided Windows does not need to be rebooted right before you want to watch a show.

Hmmm... something's wacky there. Once I had it installed, it took about 10s to startup, max. E6700, G965 chipset video, 1GB memory, WinXP SP3.

Quote:

2. Could not get the Live TV portion to work. I did not spend a lot of time digging into it, due to it being late, but I have your average, run of the mill M780 AverMedia combo tuner card. The EPG is a bit complicated...simply figuring out what you need to do in order to get the EPG for my area of the US.

Interesting. What went wrong? I did notice that with RC2 I was able to watch Live TV, though it was buggy to record. Moving to RC4 allowed me to
record without a hitch, and to watch said recordings if I pointed the "My Videos" folder to where they resided, but the ability to watch live TV was gone. Suspected it was buggy HDHomerun support or the naughty things I'd done to the drivers to make the G965 think it was a G35, but perhaps you're seeing the same issue...?

but I do work there.
post #109 of 1429 Old 12-10-2008, 01:29 PM

1. When you first startup MP it takes a bit time to build the skin-cache, but we're talking SECONDS - not minutes. Startup time here is about 5 sec., I think. My guess is that you did not correctly setup and start TVServer prior to starting MP.

2. Any TV-card with BDA-druvers should work with TVServer, if your system meets the requirements - like the DVB/BDA-fix (imortant). Due to legal issues, these files can not be included w/MP (M$).

EDIT: Oh - and SAF can use the Cybelinc codecs - without installing the bloatware!
post #110 of 1429 Old 12-10-2008, 03:39 PM

I will give it another shot. I will install it without the extras, just a vanilla MP setup.

When I opened the TV portion, it showed me nothing. No guide, no show, nothing.

WRT the EPG, how do I do that part? The instructions on the MP website showed a German program. My German is not good enough to make sense of it.
post #111 of 1429 Old 12-10-2008, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Bingo! If there was a way to do this in the GUI, I would never have to "exit to DOS" as it were.

A few of the 'adjustments' (like interlace, etc) are available from within MP's SETTINGS tab yet others are accessable from within the configuration application/filters. Oh, and while you may have to exit MP and open MP-Configuration, you never have to "exit to DOS" ;-)

On Videos -- if a drive is mapped from inside MP-Configuration and it is not ready when you're running MP, it will wait for a timeout. Be certain you have only the drives mapped that you have active or you'll run into delays.

For MKVs, be sure you add the extension to the MP-Configuration/video/extensions.

For Recorded TV viewing -- although you CAN watch them via Videos, using the TV path gives access to the metadata the database is keeping for you. i.e. TV show name & episode information. Oh, and there are options for filename assignments to use the episode name in the raw filename, whether it be a Series or a Movie.

For those times when you select something to playback and it doesn't run... you may need to check the priority of the filter, conflict between audio & video codecs, or the attributes/settings of the codec you want to use. When MP triggers a codec and it can't run, it will hang! Adjusting the priority may help troubleshoot this -- YMMV.
post #112 of 1429 Old 12-10-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:

Sorry, I can't help you there as all of my video files are a single file. Whenever I have videos split across two files I join them using VirtualDubMod. You may try asking this question over at the MediaPortal forums and posting logs in case it's a bug.

Are you using RC3 and VMR9 and DIVX codec? If so the problem has been fixed in the RC4.
post #113 of 1429 Old 12-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Thought I'd point out another great "mod" for MP. This one changes the way MyVideos handles directories. I personally store all my files in subfolders, this mod basically allows you to select the folder to play the movie instead of having to drill down into the Movie directory. As well, it allows you to import your movie DB based on the Movie folder name instead of Movie file name. Keep in mind this is kind of moot if you're using Moving Pictures.

http://code.google.com/p/mixed-proje...MyModdedVideos
post #114 of 1429 Old 12-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

1. When you first startup MP it takes a bit time to build the skin-cache, but we're talking SECONDS - not minutes. Startup time here is about 5 sec., I think. My guess is that you did not correctly setup and start TVServer prior to starting MP.

Actually I have very slow load times as well, BUT only on the very very first time MP is started with a particular skin. I believe it's copying files to the cachedirs or something. If cybrsage is seeing slow load times every single time MP is loaded, then I agree it's likely timing out trying to connect to TVServer or a network share that's not reachable or something. MP seems to connect to all network paths/servers at startup.
post #115 of 1429 Old 12-10-2008, 07:23 PM

If anyone else is trying to get EPG for ATSC, I just ran into a post on the mp forums that works. I've been trying for a while to get EPG unsuccessfully, so I am quite happy that I can use MP with tv now. It does cost $20 a year, but a small price to avoid paying Comcast .
post #116 of 1429 Old 12-10-2008, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I will give it another shot. I will install it without the extras, just a vanilla MP setup.

When I opened the TV portion, it showed me nothing. No guide, no show, nothing.

WRT the EPG, how do I do that part? The instructions on the MP website showed a German program. My German is not good enough to make sense of it.

The EPG is configured in the TvServer Configuration. You tell TvServer which channel to grab EPG data from.
post #117 of 1429 Old 12-10-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagz View Post

Thanks for the guide!
I have a couple questions...
1. How can I get a Blu-Ray disc to play automatically while in mediaportal. I've tried different setups, but mediaportal keeps trying to open the BR discs as photo discs while my Windows Vista default player (HP DVD Play) tries to launch in the background.
2. How can I streamline my music? Mediaportal essentially lists all folders and subfolders within the source folder instead of just automatically pulling out and listing audio files (ala iTunes).

Thanks again!

Hi,

I just realized that I can play my Blu-Ray disc that I have on my file server through this excellent plugin. I just wanted to share this if anyone is interested...

My setup:
* Windows Vista
* Media Portal with Moving Pictures plugin
* ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre
* Daemon tools

1. Set up auto play Blu-Ray media in Vista to be played by ArcSoft Media Theatre.
2. Rename uMCEDVDPlayer.exe to uDigital Theatre.exe if you want to use Media Center plugin instead of normal player. This enables to control the player with the MC remote.

3. Enable auto-mount iso files with daemon tools
4. Rip your Blu-Ray to .iso and .mds files with AnyDVD HD and ImgBurn.
5. Add folder with above files in Moving Pictures and import.
6. The Blu-Ray discs will now be in the MP plugin and when start play the iso file is mounted as Blu-Ray disc by DT.
7. This launches the ArcSoft MCE plugin player which starts playback of the disc.
8. When finished watching I just press the 'back' button on my remote to close the player and return to MP.

Cheers

Jonas

Credits:jonolo ,Portal Member
post #118 of 1429 Old 12-10-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:

Could you please explain exactly what you see?

Using "shares" is not recommended. The database(DB)-views are much faster and looks much better no matter how could you sorted your files.

So:
1. Make sure MP3's are properly tagged
2. Scan album
- Optional: Register for Last.fm and use the Audioscrobbler-plugin to get Album/Artis-art (pictures, covers)
3. Customize you views (ie. delete grouping)
4. Use DB-view - and enjoy

I've been posting on the Media Portal forums about my problem. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, and might have to resort to doing a fresh install. I'm using the StreamedMP skin and Moving Pictures plug-in like this guide recommended (no other plugins/skins installed). I'm pretty sure all my files are tagged at least somewhat properly, because all my album art appears fine in WMP11. I have tried the basic skin as well with the same problem.

Basically, I have gone through a number of different configurations in the Music->Database setup screen (ticking off different boxes) and every time I change something I click the scan button. When I go the My Music in MP (Shares view), I see all of the folders that represent all of the Artists. All of these folders are blank (no images or cover art). When I click an artist folder, I can then see all of the albums for that artist, and those display as cover art. However this navigation in Shares view is not very desirable (as you pointed out), so when I go to change the view to either Artists, or Album Artists or anything else, I get a status bar that just scrolls forever. I even let it go for like 2 hours, and nothing ever displayed.

I'm clueless for what to do next besides reinstall.
post #119 of 1429 Old 12-10-2008, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

A few of the 'adjustments' (like interlace, etc) are available from within MP's SETTINGS tab yet others are accessable from within the configuration application/filters.

I never saw deinterlace settings available for My Videos, though it was there for My TV. Let me know if I missed something, though.

Quote:
Oh, and while you may have to exit MP and open MP-Configuration, you never have to "exit to DOS" ;-)

I know, that's just what it feels like.

Quote:
For Recorded TV viewing -- although you CAN watch them via Videos, using the TV path gives access to the metadata the database is keeping for you. i.e. TV show name & episode information. Oh, and there are options for filename assignments to use the episode name in the raw filename, whether it be a Series or a Movie.

No, I'm with you on that. Trouble is that watching them in My TV just didn't work-- even on recorded material, not just live TV. Image froze in something that looked like a bad YUV colorspace/broken codec. I could still navigate away to another plugin, but there was no way to get the video to actually play. Wandered over to My Videos, the same recorded TV file played flawlessly. There's something about the way My TV is coded now that doesn't like my system. Like I said, RC2 worked fine in this; there was obviously some kind of change in between RC2 and 4 which broke this for me. When I get a new machine I'll see if I can puzzle it out. I can't be the only one this is happening to.

but I do work there.
post #120 of 1429 Old 12-11-2008, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

There's something about the way My TV is coded now that doesn't like my system. Like I said, RC2 worked fine in this; there was obviously some kind of change in between RC2 and 4 which broke this for me. When I get a new machine I'll see if I can puzzle it out. I can't be the only one this is happening to.

As I said earlier, I'm not running this latest version. You may be right when you say something is broken; but I'll ask if you have the exact same codecs selected for MyVideos as you do in MyTV? Many users get frustrated not realizing you have to select the codecs for each type of playback. Then again, if your database isn't working right, MyTV could be having issue locating the file...
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page