MediaPortal Install Guide - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 1429 Old 05-30-2011, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm not sure about any reference to music as I don't use MP for music. The configuration page I'm used to is for using an external VIDEO player (MP config, video, video player) as shown in this wiki page.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1429 Old 05-31-2011, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

I'm not sure about any reference to music as I don't use MP for music. The configuration page I'm used to is for using an external VIDEO player (MP config, video, video player) as shown in this wiki page.

whoa. where did you get that from. i know the wiki page...but i click mepo config and i cannot locate that file folder directory. i have 1.1.3 version i believe.

i think thats the folder i wanna try to change. my music player internally and from what i learned in that link u gave me it should be using wmv natively then.

can u describe to me where you find that. as in which place do you click to navigate there?

are you involved with mepo development. i made a thread over on there forums regarding this matter.
post #1263 of 1429 Old 05-31-2011, 10:47 PM

If its contained in the mepo itself then I can't use it because of how helper error fouling me up.

That picture you showed me...the origin of the step befpre that picture,.where were they at their screen?
post #1264 of 1429 Old 06-01-2011, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
To get to that screen, launch Media Portal Configuration, expand the Videos section on the left and click Video Player - that screen will be on the right.
post #1265 of 1429 Old 06-01-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianley View Post

To get to that screen, launch Media Portal Configuration, expand the Videos section on the left and click Video Player - that screen will be on the right.

mine was on standard mode switched to express mode and all is well
post #1266 of 1429 Old 06-01-2011, 02:12 PM

Hi everyone,

Is the guide in the OP still the best way to go? I have used it before on several WinXP machines with fairly good results, but now I'm installing MP on a Win7 machine, wonder if the guide is as good for Win7 or if there's maybe a different guide for that?

Any thoughts?
post #1267 of 1429 Old 06-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagur View Post

Hi everyone,

Is the guide in the OP still the best way to go? I have used it before on several WinXP machines with fairly good results, but now I'm installing MP on a Win7 machine, wonder if the guide is as good for Win7 or if there's maybe a different guide for that?

Any thoughts?

My high-level steps:

1) Get latest video drivers / Windows updates
2) download / install LAV Filters (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156191) and if you have a compatible NVidia based video card, LAV CUVID (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=160290)
2a) if you don't have a NVidia video card, get a recent build of MPC-HC, as well as the standalone filters, and register the 2 largest ones (MPADec* and MPCVideo* I think)
3) Download / Install Media Portal 1.1.3
4) Download / install latest StreamedMP skin, which includes latest versions of Moving Pictures and TVSeries
5) Launch Mediaportal Configuration and setup your media locations, etc - sounds like you're familiar with the app so no need to go into much detail here.
6) Under Codecs and Renderers, select EVR on the renderer tab, LAV Audio Decoder for all audio options under video and tv codecs, and LAV CUVID (if Nvidia card) or MPC-Video Decoder for the video codecs.
7) if connecting to a receiver, select which audio streams you want to bitstream in LAV Audio decoder (you may have to load the filters in MPC-HC or GraphStudio to get to the configuration screens).

8) (optional) use a 3rd party app like EventGhost to provide additional remote control capabilities.

Like I said, this is high level...
post #1268 of 1429 Old 06-01-2011, 02:56 PM

Thanks, will give this a go
post #1269 of 1429 Old 06-02-2011, 12:13 PM

For those who haven't upgrade to the latest moving-pictures and tvseries plugins, check it out. They both have www.follw.it integration now.

Follw.IT HTPC Social Integration
http://www.follw.it
post #1270 of 1429 Old 06-07-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:

My high-level steps:

2) download / install LAV Filters (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156191) and if you have a compatible NVidia based video card, LAV CUVID (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=160290)
2a) if you don't have a NVidia video card, get a recent build of MPC-HC, as well as the standalone filters, and register the 2 largest ones (MPADec* and MPCVideo* I think)
4) Download / install latest StreamedMP skin, which includes latest versions of Moving Pictures and TVSeries
5) Launch Mediaportal Configuration and setup your media locations, etc - sounds like you're familiar with the app so no need to go into much detail here.
6) Under Codecs and Renderers, select EVR on the renderer tab, LAV Audio Decoder for all audio options under video and tv codecs, and LAV CUVID (if Nvidia card) or MPC-Video Decoder for the video codecs.
7) if connecting to a receiver, select which audio streams you want to bitstream in LAV Audio decoder (you may have to load the filters in MPC-HC or GraphStudio to get to the configuration screens).

8) (optional) use a 3rd party app like EventGhost to provide additional remote control capabilities.

I followed your steps and installed the LAV audio decoder and the standalone MPC-HC filters and I must say that I'm impressed with the performance of my HTPC.

I'm getting pretty smooth playback of h.264 720p and 1080p with almost no judder or hickups, even in slow panning scenes. I'm using dynamic refresh rates in MP so I'm getting 24fps where applicable (and my TV correctly reports 24p) The best playback I've seen from my HTPC so far.

Thanks!
post #1271 of 1429 Old 06-07-2011, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My high-level steps:

Can you use madvr with mediaportal

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
post #1272 of 1429 Old 06-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post

Can you use madvr with mediaportal

With the internal player, no not yet. There have been some comments about supporting it, but as to when, no idea. Customer EVR is the best renderer (IMO) for the internal player. However...

You can configure MP to launch an external player (i.e. MPC-HC) so in that respect you can use MadVR in conjunction with it.
post #1273 of 1429 Old 06-08-2011, 05:29 PM

Im new to mp and trying to set it up how do you get it to use my server to stream my movies i just cant find the option
thanks trevor
post #1274 of 1429 Old 06-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_jokestar View Post

Im new to mp and trying to set it up how do you get it to use my server to stream my movies i just cant find the option
thanks trevor

Stream them to what? The developers have talked about moving to a client / server model with version 2, but currently the only option is via UNC paths or mapped drives to the best of my knowledge.
post #1275 of 1429 Old 06-08-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:

Stream them to what? The developers have talked about moving to a client / server model with version 2, but currently the only option is via UNC paths or mapped drives to the best of my knowledge.

I have all my movies stored on my whs 2003 server
post #1276 of 1429 Old 06-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_jokestar View Post

I have all my movies stored on my whs 2003 server

Ok, so assuming you're using the Moving Pictures plugin to organize and grab the metadata for your movies, launch the Media Portal configuration, click on plugins on the left, highlight Moving Pictures on the right and click Config. On the Movie Importer tab, add the path(s) to your WHS shares that contain your movies. It will then scan the files, prompt you for confirmation for any questionable matches, and add them to your library.

Then to play them via the network, simply launch Media Portal and click on Movies.
post #1277 of 1429 Old 06-09-2011, 03:32 PM

Awesome worked like a charm thanks
post #1278 of 1429 Old 06-22-2011, 01:58 PM

I love mediaportal but the one issue I am having is when changing channels on live tv. For me it takes at least 10 seconds for a channel to change. I am using HDHomerun Dual for my tuner, have a sata driver 5400 rpm, intel i3 (sandy bridge) and running Win 7 Ultimate. Anyone have any solutions or ideas on how to speed this up a bit? In MCE it changes in no more than 3 seconds. Am also using the settings that brianley posted earlier in this thread.
post #1279 of 1429 Old 06-22-2011, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

I wish i could get live tv to work for more than a day or 2 :x
post #1280 of 1429 Old 06-22-2011, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penone View Post

I love mediaportal but the one issue I am having is when changing channels on live tv. For me it takes at least 10 seconds for a channel to change. I am using HDHomerun Dual for my tuner, have a sata driver 5400 rpm, intel i3 (sandy bridge) and running Win 7 Ultimate. Anyone have any solutions or ideas on how to speed this up a bit? In MCE it changes in no more than 3 seconds. Am also using the settings that brianley posted earlier in this thread.

What version are you running... in MP 1.2.0.0 (Alpha and Beta) they added a "Pause" as the default state for your tuner which can cause the tuner to become hung... try setting it back to "Stop" and see how your tuning response reacts... it can't hurt! I suspect what's happening is the first tuner is getting hung and MP is waiting to access the second tuner (PMT value is set at 10 seconds). My ATi HDTV-Wonder can't utilize "Pause" and will tune only a single channel then croak - using "Stop" alleviated this.

Try posting specific issues on their forums, along with logs from the DEBUG running options... Oh, and if you're running an earlier version there is no "Pause/Stop" function! Then I'd suspect the LAN or that WMC's service is holding onto the tuner... try unloading WMC or deactivating its Service and see if that helps - the two could be fighting for control over the HDHomeRun device.
post #1281 of 1429 Old 06-30-2011, 12:39 AM

So does MP not have the FF/RW problems with mkv files that WMC7 has?

If not, this may be worth considering for me... It seems to have just about every other feature of WMC7.
post #1282 of 1429 Old 06-30-2011, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Problems? The latest 1.2.0 Beta has made really good progress on mpeg-2 (issues between the old DirectShow filters) and I just checked how one of my .mkv files runs (just tested 1) but the FF/RW functions work on MP - what do you mean by problems?
post #1283 of 1429 Old 06-30-2011, 08:12 AM

I mean when I press FF or RW in an mkv file in WMC, it doesn't continuously FF or RW and offer variable speeds of doing so. Instead, it just skips forward/backward a discrete number of seconds for each button press.

So I guess what I'm asking is does FF/RW work the way the user expects it to work in MP?
post #1284 of 1429 Old 06-30-2011, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

YES

I began to stop at that but decided to expand my reply. It has keyboard shortcuts that are mapped to specific transport functions as well as support for a multitude of remote controls (I use the 45-key Hauppauge) that also have these functions mapped to keys. There's FF/RW that advance the speed of the transport from 2^x Times (where x is the keypress count), although sound and stability is not continuous after 4X. There's also the Skip and Big Skip functions which use predefined skip amounts whether absolute or relative as configured by the user. All remote buttons are user configurable!

These work whether it's a file playing, a .ts recorded TV show, DVD, or LiveTV (it will roll back into its buffer) - OK, so you can't FF LiveTV beyond the Live point ;-)

Seems you have issues with how MicroSoft configured WMC for most consumers. That's why I prefer MediaPortal as it allows the user to configure many, many more functions, file locations, TV Tuners, plug-ins, codecs.... if you like flexability and like to tinker then give MediaPortal a try!
post #1285 of 1429 Old 07-01-2011, 04:50 PM

Iiintursting... Sounds like it might be worth giving a try. If only I'd made this discovery before spending time getting my MKVs and everything working with WMC, heh. No biggie, though.

So I suppose I will be able to configure it such that when I press a button, such as the "guide" button on a WMC remote, then it will open Media Portal instead of 7MC?

Sorry if this is a question I could get from the tutorial... I'll start taking a look at that soon, but thought I'd get this one out of the way first.
post #1286 of 1429 Old 07-02-2011, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Opening MP with a remote press requires the IR definitions file that is running at the time to know you want to execute the MediaPortal.exe instead of the WMC. For me (and my Hauppauge 45-key non-MC remote) that means I edited the definitions file that runs supporting the IR32.exe application from a MC exe to the mediaportal.exe and all is well.

In my C:\\Windows\\irremote.ini file I replaced the definition of the power button to do this:
Quote:

TVNEW={close(radio.exe)}{sleep(750)}{run(Mediaportal.exe)}

I found the net invaluable and I think a site the Green Button something or another when it comes to WMC, remotes, etc...

All you need in MP for .mkv is to assure/add the extension is listed in the video file extention table, have a splitter installed on your system, pick a .264 codec and whatever audio codec you're using... you can play them via My Videos and point to the HDD, or use a Plug-in like My Movies (included in StreamedMP) which you configure to know where ALL of your files are and it presents them as one library - click & play!
post #1287 of 1429 Old 07-02-2011, 01:39 PM

Thanks again for the help, Andrew.

So I just looked through the tutorial on the first page, and unless I missed something, it doesn't appear that there is info on how to bitstream HD audio codecs when playing an mkv ripped from a blu-ray. Is that functionality in place by default?
post #1288 of 1429 Old 07-02-2011, 11:46 PM

OK, I got some of the functionality I wanted working, and it seems like this would have been a nice alternative to 7MC, but I couldn't get it to scan channels with my HDHomeRun. After a bit of searching, it seems like this is not a terribly uncommon problem, too. All the potential solutions I've found look like they're more hassle than they're worth, so I think I'm gonna call it quits on this one.
post #1289 of 1429 Old 07-04-2011, 08:12 AM

Hey Rocketguy. Im surprised you were not able to scan the homerun channels via mediaportal. I had no problems at all scanning the channels. Now getting the guide to work - that is a different story. Spent the $ 20 and subscribed to schedulesdirect, downloaded the plug in and all is well.

What was the issue you had?
post #1290 of 1429 Old 07-05-2011, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd been using SD for a couple of years and took a couple o' days to research alternatives... I've been using mc2xml for over a year now with great success for my Terrestrial (OTA) local stations... I run it via scheduled task every morning at 4 am followed by another at 4:15 to pole theTVDB (called episodescanner) for tv show season/episode numbers.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page