Originally Posted by hagur
Is the guide in the OP still the best way to go? I have used it before on several WinXP machines with fairly good results, but now I'm installing MP on a Win7 machine, wonder if the guide is as good for Win7 or if there's maybe a different guide for that?
My high-level steps:
1) Get latest video drivers / Windows updates
2) download / install LAV Filters (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156191
) and if you have a compatible NVidia based video card, LAV CUVID (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=160290
2a) if you don't have a NVidia video card, get a recent build of MPC-HC, as well as the standalone filters, and register the 2 largest ones (MPADec* and MPCVideo* I think)
3) Download / Install Media Portal 1.1.3
4) Download / install latest StreamedMP skin, which includes latest versions of Moving Pictures and TVSeries
5) Launch Mediaportal Configuration and setup your media locations, etc - sounds like you're familiar with the app so no need to go into much detail here.
6) Under Codecs and Renderers, select EVR on the renderer tab, LAV Audio Decoder for all audio options under video and tv codecs, and LAV CUVID (if Nvidia card) or MPC-Video Decoder for the video codecs.
7) if connecting to a receiver, select which audio streams you want to bitstream in LAV Audio decoder (you may have to load the filters in MPC-HC or GraphStudio to get to the configuration screens).
8) (optional) use a 3rd party app like EventGhost to provide additional remote control capabilities.
Like I said, this is high level...