MediaPortal Install Guide - Page 47 - AVS Forum
First ... 45  46  47 48 
Home Theater Computers > MediaPortal Install Guide
jmmesch's Avatar jmmesch 05:48 PM 02-29-2012
Where is the moving-pictures plug-in? I don't have it.

hemogoblin's Avatar hemogoblin 08:01 AM 03-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

1. In Win 7 you can "pin" a MP shortcut to a position, then assign a button to trigger that function on the Harmony, namely Win-1 for the first "pin" Win-2 as the second...

2. Use the "Exit" key... be sure it's not Alt-F4 which will exit the application... although I have Alt-F4 as my "0" so I have a means to Exit an app (that I want to close, or gets hung).

This sounds GREAT. Ill try it in a bit, but it defintely seems like it should work. I got the exit part working fine, my workaround to starting the program is just using the directional buttons to scroll to the icon. But the Pin idea seems like it should work just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

What action if any happens when you attempt 'green button' start - does it load Media Centre? Did you enable "micorsoft media centre services" - in MP Configuration, under "Additional 3rd Party Checks"? - this blocks MP from opening WMC and focuses on MP.

It really is strange as the remote was about the only thing that just worked in my set-up - no workarounds necessary.

Did you purchase an HP remote and IR receiver, or just the receiver? - if you have both, try using just the HP remote to start up MP, then we can move to the Harmony One.

Also make sure that under "Remote" you have "Use MCE Remote or Keyboard" enabled.

Nothing happens when I press the green button. Without selecting autotray startup in MP, WMC opens. With autotray, nothing opens. I use the HP receiver only, no remote. Harmony one works flawless now.
hemogoblin's Avatar hemogoblin 08:10 AM 03-01-2012
Can anyone with the newest MP help me out. My HTPC is kinda slow and is running 1.1.3. I am looking at a new build 100% for either MP or Xbmc. I am a longtime MP user, but played with the newest XBMC a bit for my laptop.

Like most MP users, I feel like I know MP in and out since we have to do so much tweaking to get it how we want it. But my first impressions of the new XBMC are positive. But still seems like how its always been. XBMC blows MP away in the UI department but MP is still much more powerful mostly due to the MP config and plugin program.

XBMC did have some cool features that I wonder if the newer MP's have. Does MP have the following:

1. Quick trailers for the movie you are thinking of selecting? Basically when scrolling through your library in xbmc, you can click one button and watch a trailer from apple for that movie. Pretty awesome, can MP do this? And how many clicks to get to it?

2. Mycinemaexperience plugin, pretty awesome. Basically you can set this plugin to show different intros, trailers from the web, and images before a movie starts. Like a custom intro from a file, a couple images (turn off cell phones) then some trailers from upcoming movies from the web. This might be the main reason I switch. Anything comparable in MP? I know you can set custom intros which is cool, but how about trailers also?
jmmesch's Avatar jmmesch 08:11 AM 03-01-2012
I installed the SteamMedia skin and set it up. I got it to identify one of the network locations but not the other ones.

But when done, MediaPortal now can't see any locations. It tells me to exit MP and configure import locations. So I brought up MP config, and there are none.

Steam uninstalled, MP now sees the network again.
Andrew Hornfeck's Avatar Andrew Hornfeck 12:48 PM 03-01-2012
StreamedMP is an excellent plug-in! It brings with it MyMovies and TV-Series plug-ins as well as an excellent skin for its GUI. You may not be able to point to network drives although you can map them on the local system and then point to the logical mapping you created. I have MyMovies pointing to 2 local HDDs (S:\\ & T:\\) and 2 mapped network drives (I assigned as M:\\ and N:\\). The app will import subdirectories as well and grab data from imdb to populate its own database. Start small with a single drive and see if your files are being parsed/identified well before you move on. In addition to this, get the OnLine-Video plug-in because it will allow you to watch previews from imdb, apple, end other sites right from the movie page! You select your movie (inside MP) and RIGHT arrow to see the preview options!

Also, I seem to recall reading about MyMovies now allowing you to do a "preview" like a trailer(s) by configuring a count and a folder to point to for random playback of your own "preview" files (that you'd downloaded).
jmmesch's Avatar jmmesch 05:23 PM 03-01-2012
My net locations are mapped. But MediaPortal with StreamMediaMP installed erred every time I selected Movies with messages about PATHS and how I had to exit MediaPortal to go to MediaPortal Configuration to set up import directories. In MP Configuration, there are no import directories, as I see it.
Andrew Hornfeck's Avatar Andrew Hornfeck 07:16 AM 03-02-2012
MediaPortal has their own forum and I stand corrected, the movie plug-in is called Moving Pictures and has a thread with full details, discussion, etc... here's their mention of Custom Introduction Videos our bloody friend was asking about, above! Here's a direct link to their configuration screen info where you'd place your drives and/or folders you're storing your movies in. You get there from the MP-Configuration/Plug-ins page where the Moving Pictures would have an icon in the window... RIGHT click to enable and configure their plug-in.

I would suggest you establish yourself on the MP forum where there is much more detailed discussion, downloads, wiki support and examples...
TheTinkerer's Avatar TheTinkerer 07:16 AM 03-03-2012
I know MP2 is in ALPHA but it is terrible in my opinion. Hope future betas help with the functionality.
hemogoblin's Avatar hemogoblin 01:41 PM 03-03-2012
Quote:

1. In Win 7 you can "pin" a MP shortcut to a position, then assign a button to trigger that function on the Harmony, namely Win-1 for the first "pin" Win-2 as the second...

2. Use the "Exit" key... be sure it's not Alt-F4 which will exit the application... although I have Alt-F4 as my "0" so I have a means to Exit an app (that I want to close, or gets hung).

Pinning a shortcut to Win 7 and setting Win-1 button on my Harmony worked GREAT. Thank you for the great tip.
jmmesch's Avatar jmmesch 02:50 PM 03-03-2012
Quote:

MediaPortal has their own forum and I stand corrected, the movie plug-in is called Moving Pictures and has a thread with full details, discussion, etc... here's their mention of Custom Introduction Videos our bloody friend was asking about, above! Here's a direct link to their configuration screen info where you'd place your drives and/or folders you're storing your movies in. You get there from the MP-Configuration/Plug-ins page where the Moving Pictures would have an icon in the window... RIGHT click to enable and configure their plug-in.

I would suggest you establish yourself on the MP forum where there is much more detailed discussion, downloads, wiki support and examples...

I did, and posted my question days ago. So far, no one has answered me.
Andrew Hornfeck's Avatar Andrew Hornfeck 06:00 PM 03-04-2012
OK... post a link. Moreover, have you made progress given the links I'd attached showing the configuration menu for Moving Pictures as well as their specific thread!
jmmesch's Avatar jmmesch 06:40 PM 03-04-2012
I posted a new thread and a link, lots of views and no answers. I have the Moving Pictures add-in now, and it is configured but there is no result of it in MediaPortal. Maybe I need a different program this is very frustrating. I looked at the XBMC thread and because no one knows how to configure an outside player, that's not for me. \\

BTW I tried the SteamedMP again and it provides the same issues. I can't find how to solve it in your links.
brianley's Avatar brianley 07:47 PM 03-04-2012
Hi Jmmesch, just to get all your info into one post, could you list:

1) your OS (including whether 32 or 64 bit)
2) The OS of the machine to which you have mapped drives
3) The file types of the movies on those drives (ISOs, MKVs, etc)
4) What codecs you have installed / what is selected in MP

I've been using MediaPortal with the StreamedMP skin for years and have all my media on a mapped drive - have never had any of the issues you're encountering so am very interested in what might be going on here.
jmmesch's Avatar jmmesch 08:09 PM 03-04-2012
All fixed because I set up Moving Pictures in MP Config, and after done, installed SteamedMP again, it works. I can't say all flicks are exactly correctly ID'd but I cannot figure out how to redo a few flicks.

BTW, OS is Win 7 X64, PC mapped to is Win 7 X32, almost all files are mkvs or mts files (Movies Plus does not seem to see the mts files), and no codecs on HTPC because my file player Splash Pro EX and PowerDVD Ultra 11 need none. Splash Pro EX plays all files with correct video/audio. So, no codecs are selected in MP, Splash Pro EX as the player is.
Rbentley100's Avatar Rbentley100 05:54 AM 03-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTinkerer View Post

I know MP2 is in ALPHA but it is terrible in my opinion. Hope future betas help with the functionality.

I havent been keeping a close eye on MP2 but I am curious what are the core changes?

I know they have reworked a lot fo MP, but to what end? Better video qwuality? Extra functionality? Better UI? etc?

What are the feature lists that are designed to 'sell' MP2?

Also how come you didnt like it? Has anyone else tried it. Read a few brief posts onit and they seem complimentary.

Finally, since it is rewritten does that mean we need new plugins etc?
jmmesch's Avatar jmmesch 08:09 PM 03-07-2012
Okay, install all done, but Moving Pictures does not "see" all the movies, and will not allow me to add one by one. Is there a missing setting?
Andrew Hornfeck's Avatar Andrew Hornfeck 11:18 AM 03-09-2012
It sees the drive or folder and subfolders you ADD to its listings of where to look. You do not add individual files. Are you seeing files in those folders you've added? What extensions are the files you can't see and have you added those to the MediaPortal list of valid extensions under MP-Config/VideoExtensions
jmmesch's Avatar jmmesch 04:25 PM 03-09-2012
A. They are all mkv just as most others are.
B. Many are in the same sub-folders because they are a part of series, e.g. Jurassic Park I-III
C. I would not have know or guessed I need to add extension(s) since it see nearly all other mkv files, But I'll try that. Still, I have Bloodrayne 1-3 and it only shows 1.
Andrew Hornfeck's Avatar Andrew Hornfeck 07:41 AM 03-10-2012
Again, there are discussions on the MovingPictures MP forum - how closely have you read their Movie Importer page? I've found having the files named as closely to the movie name helps but there's a set of banoculars you can pick to see/adjust what search the importer is using for any given file. And if something gets over into the Movie Manager you can use the config to send it back to the importer!
jmmesch's Avatar jmmesch 10:57 AM 03-10-2012
If I have no more results in the lower window (and I usually do not), those binoculars are grayed out. They don't work. That's what I have, as Moving Pictures thinks it got all files of the E:; W:; X:; Y:, and Z: drives.

The E: drive is on the HTPC, which has drives C: and E: with a BD-R as D:. The W:-Z: drives is on a 16 TB server, 8 TB internal and 8 TB external.
jmmesch's Avatar jmmesch 01:36 PM 03-10-2012
Played around with the importing feature and the movie listing functions of Moving Pictures. I even changed import settings.

This is because I made an interesting discovery. Where I have collections of flicks (Star Wars 1-6, Jurassic Park Trilogy, and the Bloodrayne Trilogy) Moving Pictures show all of Star Wars, 1 and 3 of JP, and only 1 of 3 for Bloodrayne. There seems no way to fix this other than reorganize the file trees, which I do not really wish to do. Now what?
Andrew Hornfeck's Avatar Andrew Hornfeck 03:13 PM 03-10-2012
I don't know about you but each of my .mkv files has it's own unique name that describes the movie. Even if you're storing them in a common folder, do they not have unique filenames? I could imagine Star Wars.mkv, Star Wars 2.mkv, etc. all being under a folder called Star Wars. Take the Transformers... each is known as 1, 2, 3 yet they have specific subtitles you could use as well. Did you read the Grouping and Splitting Multi-Part Movies section?

You do know you can send an approved movie from the MovieManager back to the Importer where you can then use the binoculars, right? That doesn't help?
jmmesch's Avatar jmmesch 03:50 PM 03-10-2012
Nope, I do not know I can send an approved movie from the MovieManager back to the Importer. Also, MP does not show Bloodrayne 2 or 3, or Jurassic Park II! I thought Moving Pictures controlled that.

So what do I do to make these d*mn flick show up in MP? And, what is MovieManager in the first place?
Andrew Hornfeck's Avatar Andrew Hornfeck 04:58 PM 03-10-2012
Well, you could simply use MediaPortal's Video menu and sort down through the file structure until you find the file you want to play!

Or, you could chill and take time to actually READ the links I'm sending because MovieManager is the name of the tab inside the Moving Pictures plug-in you're trying to get running - it's the FIRST tab along the top!

I don't know what to do if you've "X'ed" an entry in MovieManager as it says it'll not be placed back into the Importer, but highlighting an entry and pulling down the "gear" icon on the right (configuration) will allow you to send it back to the importer.

If you desire, you can CLEAR the Moving Pictures database entirely and just start over...

OK... what are the three filenames you have that are "Bloodrayne" and its two sequels?
jmmesch's Avatar jmmesch 05:10 PM 03-10-2012
I'd like to clear the Moving Pictures database entirely and start over, how do I do that?

As far as Bloodrayne files go I have:

Bloodrayne (2005) 1080p DTS
Bloodrayne II Deliverance (2007) 720p DTS
Bloodrayne´╝ÜThe Third Reich (2010) 1080p DTS

Most of my flicks are Title (Year) VID AUD
robbo100's Avatar robbo100 09:04 AM 04-09-2012
Jmmesch

To completely clear your database you can do the following:

navigate to: c:\\ProgramData\\Team MediaPortal\\MediaPortal\\database

then cut and paste the MovingPictures database file from this location to your desktop (in case you need it later).

Now run the MediaPortal Configuration and configure the Moving Pictures plugin (under the Plugin section), which should create a new database automatically (it may take a bit longer to start the config than normal because it will have to work out that the old file is missing and create the new database file).

For a quick guide to setting up Moving Pictures, have a look here at section 9 - http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-...tup-guide.html

Rather than linking to windows mapped network drives, I suggest you tell Moving Pictures to look at the appropriate network location (e.g. \\\\NAS\\Movies)
robbo100's Avatar robbo100 09:09 AM 04-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbentley100 View Post

I havent been keeping a close eye on MP2 but I am curious what are the core changes?

I know they have reworked a lot fo MP, but to what end? Better video qwuality? Extra functionality? Better UI? etc?

What are the feature lists that are designed to 'sell' MP2?

Also how come you didnt like it? Has anyone else tried it. Read a few brief posts onit and they seem complimentary.

Finally, since it is rewritten does that mean we need new plugins etc?

The idea of MP2 is not only a complete code re-write to make it run faster, but also to give the system true client/server behaviour (yes, you will need completely new plugins, but the hope is that the existing plugins will be ported over to the new architecture by their writers).

Currently MP1.X works as a client/server system for the TV (i.e. you have a server side which controls the TV backend and a client side that then watches the TV). However, all the other media is all controlled on the client side.

The implications of this current setup is that you only need to configure the TV settings once (on the server) and all the clients on your network will all work without need for configuration (other than to give the network address of the server), but the user will need to configure EVERY client on the network to view all the permanent media (music, videos, movies, photos), which is a pain if you have lots of clients (e.g. downloading the fanart for each client can take time).

With MP2, the server holds the configuration for ALL the clients in common, so you only need to set it up once and all the clients automatically "just work". Since MP2 has also moved away from the separate configuration GUI (and now uses a 10 ft configuration GUI), you can also make amendments to the configuration from any of the clients on the network. With all of this said, you can still taylor each client if you wish (such as adding locally stored media and removable drives (e.g. Blueray/DVD) or by changing the skin (a number of which are supplied with MP2 - note there are skins and themes, where each skin has a number of configurable themes).

The current MP2 Alpha release is just a first step towards the final product (but the work behind this first step shouldn't be played down in significance)! Basically the release installs the "server-side" software which (unlike MP1.X) just sits there running in the background without any need for configuring it - since this is done via the client-side software (you need to manually start it at the moment before you start the client-side), it also installs the "Client-side" software which is the front-end. So far, there has not been a re-write of the TV Service, but that will come with time. Until that happens, you can install a plugin that allows you to use MP2 with the old MP1.X TV Service.

If you are running just a single PC and want to try MP2, then you need to install the "Single-Seat" option (which installs both the client and the server software on the same PC). After you have run it, start the server-side software using the desktop shortcut, and then start the client and then use the settings option to setup your shares.

If you have a client/server setup (using two separate PCs on the network), then simply install the server-side on the server and the client-side on the client, and the client will autodetect the server, then use the client to setup the shares.
robbo100's Avatar robbo100 09:13 AM 04-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemogoblin View Post

Can anyone with the newest MP help me out. My HTPC is kinda slow and is running 1.1.3. I am looking at a new build 100% for either MP or Xbmc. I am a longtime MP user, but played with the newest XBMC a bit for my laptop.

Like most MP users, I feel like I know MP in and out since we have to do so much tweaking to get it how we want it. But my first impressions of the new XBMC are positive. But still seems like how its always been. XBMC blows MP away in the UI department but MP is still much more powerful mostly due to the MP config and plugin program.

XBMC did have some cool features that I wonder if the newer MP's have. Does MP have the following:

1. Quick trailers for the movie you are thinking of selecting? Basically when scrolling through your library in xbmc, you can click one button and watch a trailer from apple for that movie. Pretty awesome, can MP do this? And how many clicks to get to it?

2. Mycinemaexperience plugin, pretty awesome. Basically you can set this plugin to show different intros, trailers from the web, and images before a movie starts. Like a custom intro from a file, a couple images (turn off cell phones) then some trailers from upcoming movies from the web. This might be the main reason I switch. Anything comparable in MP? I know you can set custom intros which is cool, but how about trailers also?

hemogoblin

Question 1 - Yes, if you install the Online Videos plugin you are offered the option to play the trailer.

Question 2 - The Moving Pictures plugin has an option under the Advance Settings area which allows you to play a video before the main feature plays. Currently you can only select one video and it will not randomly select a video from a list)
jmmesch's Avatar jmmesch 09:26 AM 04-09-2012
The old HTPC failed due to severe overheat, with OS drive failure, CPU failure and M/B failure (nothing like the AZ sun!). The good news is the 2TB SATA 2 HDD was RMA'd under warranty for a SATA 3 replacement.

The new HTPC had to take an ATX M/B, the old case would case would only fit micro ATX. So we have a new case, new RMA replacement M/B, new CPU and 7.5TB HDD space, and lots of new fans. But I would not dare try MP again, it did work for me, and it is too much trouble.

Now, I open Windows 7 Explore, pick what I want to watch, and click it. Splash Pro EX does the rest. Or, for BD, open PowerDVD 12 Ultra, and play it. My iPhone even has a remote app for PowerDVD 12 Ultra!

Too simple...

But thanks for any help, here. I wish I could praise MP! Maybe when version 2 arrives, and it is good, I'll try it.
robbo100's Avatar robbo100 04:44 PM 04-13-2012
MediaPortal 1.2.3 has been released today.
First ... 45  46  47 48 

Up
Mobile  Desktop