Media Browser: Great alternative to DVD Library/My Movies/Movie Collector - Page 134 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3991 of 4110 Old 02-16-2013, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Something strange just started happening with my Media Browser. All the mymovies data is vanishing from the display. The folder and backdrop pictures show, but the information about the movie is blank and the actor images are blank as well. I uninstalled and reinstalled MB (2.6.2.0) to no avail. When I open metabrowser, it shows the information as having been downloaded. When I go to the local movie folder, I see the mymovies file in there and I can open it up and read the info inside.

I have manually refreshed the data. I have manually deleted the items in the cache (out of curiousity, why do some of the images appear multiple times?). I removed my mediabrowser config file and let the system create a new one. I removed my folder from the list, refreshed, then readded it. No changes.

This worked until just recently, no idea what is happening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 4110 Old 02-18-2013, 06:32 AM

I am starting to think it was when I went from 2.5.x to 2.6.x I am going to downgrade my install and see if that fixes my problem.
post #3993 of 4110 Old 02-18-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhawood View Post

I have a new computer with Win 8 pro and MCE installed I have tried to install Media Browser like I had on my old Win7 machine and I cant get past .net 3.5 or greater error required ( I have 4.0) and it aborts. Any idea's?

Did you try this http://community.mediabrowser.tv/permalinks/12375/windows-8
post #3994 of 4110 Old 02-18-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

This worked until just recently, no idea what is happening.

2.6 was the first release to feature internal metadata scraping. In the config there is a "metadata" tab where there wasn't one before. What options do you have set in that tab?
post #3995 of 4110 Old 02-18-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

2.6 was the first release to feature internal metadata scraping. In the config there is a "metadata" tab where there wasn't one before. What options do you have set in that tab?

I have it unchecked. I do not want to use their scraper, I want to use metabrowser. I have many movies that do not show up properly and I do not want a system to automatically mess everything up for me.

EDIT: I just turned it on and set the refresh to 200 so it never auto updates. Now I have not only lost the info, but the backdrops as well. They are still in the actual folders, though.

EDIT EDIT: I also deleted one of the mymovies files and had metabrowser rebuild it, then updated mediabrowser and no change - the metadata is sill not shown in the folder.
post #3996 of 4110 Old 02-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 72
@Dark_Slayer - FYI MB has always had an internal scraper - this isn't a new innovation, just some tweaks added to the existing scraper and the new options dialogue box you refer to in 2.6.x

@cybrsage. How long have you had your mymovies data files. I don't use external fetchers, but I seem to recall there was some change to the format from 'mymovies.xml' to 'movie.xml' (as my movies objected to their use in their proprietary format). This change was made sometime ago and has been altered to a movie.xml. Might be worthwhile checking the set-up of metabrowser to ensure their being downloaded correctly.

Here's a link http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011/12/28/my-movies-encrypts-mymovies-xml-file-causes-issues-with-media-browser/
post #3997 of 4110 Old 02-18-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

@Dark_Slayer - FYI MB has always had an internal scraper - this isn't a new innovation, just some tweaks added to the existing scraper and the new options dialogue box you refer to in 2.6.x

You're right, I worded that incorrectly

It was the first time the internal scraper would store meta data to local file folders
post #3998 of 4110 Old 02-18-2013, 09:26 PM

I have been using them forever - since the early days of mediabrowser. I have always stored them locally as well. I am still using the last non-paid version of metabrowser and have been using it since it was initially released. Everything worked fine until just recently. I have held off downgrading to 2.5.x to see if anyone know why it might have started...but will not wait too horribly much longer.

I tried to post on the MediaBrowser forum about it, but my account is inactive and the activation emails are never sent / never arrive at my email.
post #3999 of 4110 Old 02-18-2013, 11:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have been using them forever - since the early days of mediabrowser. I have always stored them locally as well. I am still using the last non-paid version of metabrowser and have been using it since it was initially released. Everything worked fine until just recently. I have held off downgrading to 2.5.x to see if anyone know why it might have started...but will not wait too horribly much longer.

I tried to post on the MediaBrowser forum about it, but my account is inactive and the activation emails are never sent / never arrive at my email.

From what I can see that is your problem then. Don't know why it would suddenly show this behaviour

Alternatives would appear to be

Replace using alternative sources - MetaBrowser 2, or Media Centre Master (As you know MetaBrowser 1 is free but unsupported therefore if it still downloads in the old format isn't really an option), or use their internal scraper to scrape and store in individual movie folders.

Not sure that rolling back is an option either as this was introduced, at least according to the article I linked to, in 2.5.2

EDIT

Here's a link to another alternative http://community.mediabrowser.tv/permalinks/10338/how-to-quickly-and-easily-create-movie-xml-files-from-your-mymovies-xml-files - looks like it will recreate your exisitng mymovies.xml to the correct movie.xml format. However for future use you will have to change to one of the other supported metadata fetchers.

I have also asked the question for you over at MB CT - http://community.mediabrowser.tv/permalinks/13275/mb-not-using-mymovies-xml, but you coould perhaps shed some additional light on the subject. When did you install 2.6.2.0, because this may have been the catalyst to the change you are witnessing.
post #4000 of 4110 Old 02-19-2013, 06:03 AM

Not exactly sure when it started happening, but it was not that long ago. I also upgraded to 2.6.2 not that long ago, but I cannot say if they happened at the same time. I was on 2.5.x for quite some time and it was working with the old version of metabrowser. I did download MCM and was going to give it a whirl, but the thought of having to rescan my many hundreds of movies is daunting.

EDIT: After looking at that thread (thank you for posting it), I see the answer:
Quote:
He’s therefore not saving his metadata as movie.xml.
2.5.2 and 2.6.0 supported BOTH movie.xml and mymovies.xml – this was the “transition period”.

Since 2.6.1 MB supports ONLY movie.xml.

So he needs to change his 3rd party metadata tool to one that supports the current format…
OR stick with what he’s got and use one of the many re-naming utilities…
OR roll-back MB to pre-2.6.x…

I know which option I’d go for!

Hope this helps.

It was the transition from 2.5.2 to 2.6.2 that did it. I will use the conversion tool, then shift to MCM. I knew I would eventually have to move away from metabrowser 1 some day - just wanted that day to be further out. smile.gif

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH!!!
post #4001 of 4110 Old 02-19-2013, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Happy to help - hope the transition isn't too daunting or time consuming.
post #4002 of 4110 Old 02-19-2013, 08:42 AM

I just finished the transition. The xml converter solved my immediate problem and made the rest of the transition far simpler. There was a learning curve for MCM, but once I figured it out it is easy. I turned off all the auto updating and the auto backdrop creation (had way too many sets of 8 black screens), told it which "movies" were actually folders containing other movies, and told it to create a black xml file for every movie without one (which means they are home movies, vhs to dvd conversions, etc). It now works as I want. smile.gif
post #4003 of 4110 Old 02-21-2013, 09:23 PM

What is the correct location for the actor images? Is it C:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser\ImagesByName\People\[actor name} or is it C:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser\ImagesByName\{actor name}?
post #4004 of 4110 Old 02-21-2013, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

What is the correct location for the actor images? Is it C:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser\ImagesByName\People\[actor name} or is it C:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser\ImagesByName\{actor name}?

C:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser\ImagesByName\{actor name}\folder.jpg

is the correct path. You know you can modify the ImageByName parameter in the C:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser\MediaBrowserXml.config file to point at a different location, handy if you want several clients to share the same images. I have it pointed to my server and I have Metabrowser saving images to the same place.
post #4005 of 4110 Old 02-22-2013, 08:07 AM

Catastrophic failure time! Somehow I managed to completely wipe out my Images by Name folder and all its contents!!! Can someone with a large images by name folder upload it somewhere for me to download?

EDIT: OK, I figured out how to download the actor images in MCM and am doing that - then I will 7-zip my folder and store it in a safe location! ARGH!

EDIT EDIT: Also, the location is incorrect, it is C:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser\ImagesByName\People\{Actor Name}. At least that is where MCM is putting them and they are now showing up in MB after being downloaded.
post #4006 of 4110 Old 03-04-2013, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 471
very cool software, cowboys introduced it to me tonight. I'll have to give this a deeper look!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

post #4007 of 4110 Old 03-14-2013, 08:38 AM

Liked: 10
Any tips on a couple things?

1. I want to put my P90x series on the computer/mediabrowser. What is the best way to go about this, like as a TV series with one season or seperate/individual videos.

2. I made a folder for exercise videos. How do I keep my p90x videos seperate from the Movies I have ripped?

Thanks,

Jason
post #4008 of 4110 Old 03-14-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Broadway View Post

Any tips on a couple things?

1. I want to put my P90x series on the computer/mediabrowser. What is the best way to go about this, like as a TV series with one season or seperate/individual videos.

2. I made a folder for exercise videos. How do I keep my p90x videos seperate from the Movies I have ripped?

Thanks,

Jason

1. You could do a TV Series structure - see TVDB link: http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=266417&lid=7

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #4009 of 4110 Old 03-24-2013, 12:09 PM

I have been working on ripping movies. I noticed something strange. All my movies in media browser output audio in stereo. However, If I play the selected moving with windows media player it will output 5.1 or 7.1. Any suggestions on a fix? I used makeMKV and LAV for what its worth.

Thanks,

Jason
post #4010 of 4110 Old 04-03-2013, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi,
I have noticed something odd when using media browser with an external player (MPC-HC) to play blu-ray rips (MKVs). When I click on the movie MB it does not launch MPC-HC properly in full screen. I am using the latest MB v2.6.2 and MPC-HC version from late december. I have tried the built in MKV external player option in MB and the creating my custom external player option with the following commands: “{0}” /new /play /fullscreen /close.

Both have given me the same results. When the player launches it does not launch in fullscreen and I have to hit the enter button on my remote in order for the video to start playing. In MPC-HC I have it set to launch in fullscreen as well.

I have a similar setup in but using an older version of MB (v2.5?) and I do not have this issue when launching videos in fullscreen.

Has anyone seen anything similar using the latest version of MB and mpc-hc as an external player?
post #4011 of 4110 Old 04-03-2013, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 View Post

Hi,
I have noticed something odd when using media browser with an external player (MPC-HC) to play blu-ray rips (MKVs). When I click on the movie MB it does not launch MPC-HC properly in full screen. I am using the latest MB v2.6.2 and MPC-HC version from late december. I have tried the built in MKV external player option in MB and the creating my custom external player option with the following commands: “{0}” /new /play /fullscreen /close.

Both have given me the same results. When the player launches it does not launch in fullscreen and I have to hit the enter button on my remote in order for the video to start playing. In MPC-HC I have it set to launch in fullscreen as well.

I have a similar setup in but using an older version of MB (v2.5?) and I do not have this issue when launching videos in fullscreen.

Has anyone seen anything similar using the latest version of MB and mpc-hc as an external player?

In MB Configurator\Advance\External Player, double click on mpc-hc to open up a configuration window - in the bottom left there is an option to 'configure my player' choosing this should configure the player properly.
post #4012 of 4110 Old 04-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

In MB Configurator\Advance\External Player, double click on mpc-hc to open up a configuration window - in the bottom left there is an option to 'configure my player' choosing this should configure the player properly.

Ok I will give that a try.
post #4013 of 4110 Old 04-13-2013, 08:48 PM

Help with Boxset Overview:

I have been trying to successfully build a boxset/collection for mediabrowers. I am using MCM as my fetcher. I am currently working on the Spider-Man Trilogy. I am able to successfully create a trilogy folder in which each movie has its own folder inside. The only thing I am missing is a description overview /description of the movie when I open the select the trilogy folder. Is this even possible? I have tried various options of the movie.xml, mymovies.xml and modifying the collection.xml but nothing will work. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jason
post #4014 of 4110 Old 04-14-2013, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Broadway View Post

I have been working on ripping movies. I noticed something strange. All my movies in media browser output audio in stereo. However, If I play the selected moving with windows media player it will output 5.1 or 7.1. Any suggestions on a fix? I used makeMKV and LAV for what its worth.

Thanks,

Jason

I assume when you say you're playing in media browser that you mean you're playing them inside wmcs default player. The most likely cause in the audio difference is a codec problem. Your x86 players (wmp) are set correctly but not x64 like wmc

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #4015 of 4110 Old 04-29-2013, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Using MPC-HC as external player
All files are mkv

Sometimes with some movies when I am playing the movie and I press stop, I set MPC-HC to exit on stop, it returns to a screen that says 'mediabrowser' with nothing else on the screen instead of returning to the movie description/launch screen that started the movie.

90% of the time it works fine.

any help?
post #4016 of 4110 Old 04-29-2013, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL-F1 View Post

Using MPC-HC as external player
All files are mkv

Sometimes with some movies when I am playing the movie and I press stop, I set MPC-HC to exit on stop, it returns to a screen that says 'mediabrowser' with nothing else on the screen instead of returning to the movie description/launch screen that started the movie.

90% of the time it works fine.

any help?

Have a look in the MB Configurator\Advance\External Player, double click on mpc-hc to open up a configuration window - in the bottom left there is an option to 'configure my player' choosing this should configure the player properly.

This also activates the 'resume' function using mpc-hc as an external player.
post #4017 of 4110 Old 05-13-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 55
I am using Media Center Master to fetch metadata for my movies. I normally add on the folder.jpg poster art manually by searching through the internet and save the image I like. Unfortunately, MCM seems to overwrite my folder.jpg and download it's own higher resolution version...which I don't like. Is there any method to stop this auto folder art fetching?

I also realized that MCM is using lot's of internet data just to fetch 1 movie. I just tested with Wreck It Ralph, fetching metadata from IMDB. I enter the tt#### code manually and let it fetch. The internet data consumed is about 2MB...700KB for the folder art, 22KB for the movie.xml file....and the rest of the 1MB data which I have no idea where it's wasted at. All I want is just the movie.xml file as the metadata for the movie. I add my own folder art manually & I don't need the backdrop.

I have a very tight internet package...thus every MB of data is precious to me.

Can anyone help? I just need the movie.xml.

Or is there any other program that is more suitable?
post #4018 of 4110 Old 05-13-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

I am using Media Center Master to fetch metadata for my movies. I normally add on the folder.jpg poster art manually by searching through the internet and save the image I like. Unfortunately, MCM seems to overwrite my folder.jpg and download it's own higher resolution version...which I don't like. Is there any method to stop this auto folder art fetching?

I also realized that MCM is using lot's of internet data just to fetch 1 movie. I just tested with Wreck It Ralph, fetching metadata from IMDB. I enter the tt#### code manually and let it fetch. The internet data consumed is about 2MB...700KB for the folder art, 22KB for the movie.xml file....and the rest of the 1MB data which I have no idea where it's wasted at. All I want is just the movie.xml file as the metadata for the movie. I add my own folder art manually & I don't need the backdrop.

I have a very tight internet package...thus every MB of data is precious to me.

Can anyone help? I just need the movie.xml.

Or is there any other program that is more suitable?

Sorry can't answer on the MCM but I can tell you the Meta Browser lets you pick which items you went download when you run a fetch. I would think MCM would have something similar
post #4019 of 4110 Old 07-27-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hello everyone!

Not sure if you guys have seen this, Leedavies over at the Media Browser Community Tracker has created a stellar theme called Crystal. It is compatible with both MB2, and MB3. Its available for download in the Media Browser Configurator.

post #4020 of 4110 Old 07-27-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 651
What theme are you using for the MB3 or "classic" ???

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page