Media Browser: Great alternative to DVD Library/My Movies/Movie Collector - Page 136 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4051 of 4110 Old 04-26-2014, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Steelman, thanks for the response. Yes, I do have a scattered approach at the moment as this is all new to me.

After getting mb3 classic setup, I realized 2 out of my 40+ bd rips weren't playing in classic, but playing well in powerdvd. After weeks of troubleshooting I gave up and thought I'd give theater a try. Wmc is just hit or miss now the backdrops are disappearing on me.

Theater works great, that's why I wanted to know what I could do to make it better. The frame rate switching is confusing, powerdvd adjusts my actual blu rays (playing with the disc) properly. The only way I can tell is due to the screen blacks out than comes back with the 1080p24 icon in the input OSD. This doesn't happen with BD rips. So I'm assuming everything is at 1080p60. Which I honestly cannot tell the difference with BD movies.

Idally I'd like classic to work (after all I payed the premium for WMC 8.1) so once I get the backdrop fixed I'll work on MPC-HTC or POWERDVD as an external player.

Living room theater set-up:  
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1124-K.
Speakers/Sub: (4) NHT Classic Two and an NHT TwoC center + PSA-XV15 subwoofer.
HTPC: z97 mobo, 16GB mem, i5-4440, SSD+HD, LG BD drive, Win 8.1 pro w/WMC + MB3.
Content sources: OTA Winegard HD7698P, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Netflix etc.
HDTV: Sharp LC-60SQ15U (ehhh).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4052 of 4110 Old 04-26-2014, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Your certainly of the scatter gun fraternity - you've got posts all over the shop. How about picking one thread and sticking to it - much easier to keep up with your issues.

Hence the reason why you really have to stick with one approach initially - so I'm going to assume you want to use MediaBrowser (either MBClassic or MBTheatre - though your preference is MClassic yeah?)

If that's the case your only requirement is what I suggested in my post 2 back - get mpc-hc and follow MINDBOMB's guide - ghheesh I even provided a link to it. Then from MBC Configurator set-up and configure mpc-hc as an external player.

Frame rate switching isn't available natively in MBT, or with MBC (using WMC as your playback engine), you will HAVE to use an external player (in MBC), or madVR (in MBT) for that function. If you don't you will only get playback at whatever the desktop resolution is set at - in your case I presume 60Hz - again I explained that in my previous post.

What is the issue with backdrops - because these are provided by MBServer - are they available on the server and then not transferring across to MBClassic?

Stick with one at the moment - if you want MBClassic, then let's get that sorted and avoid questions on MBT - its making it more difficult to address your actual concerns.

Oh and what were the 2 movies which wouldn't play - just out of curiosity?
post #4053 of 4110 Old 04-26-2014, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

Your certainly of the scatter gun fraternity - you've got posts all over the shop. How about picking one thread and sticking to it - much easier to keep up with your issues.

Hence the reason why you really have to stick with one approach initially - so I'm going to assume you want to use MediaBrowser (either MBClassic or MBTheatre - though your preference is MClassic yeah?)

If that's the case your only requirement is what I suggested in my post 2 back - get mpc-hc and follow MINDBOMB's guide - ghheesh I even provided a link to it. Then from MBC Configurator set-up and configure mpc-hc as an external player.

Frame rate switching isn't available natively in MBT, or with MBC (using WMC as your playback engine), you will HAVE to use an external player (in MBC), or madVR (in MBT) for that function. If you don't you will only get playback at whatever the desktop resolution is set at - in your case I presume 60Hz - again I explained that in my previous post.

What is the issue with backdrops - because these are provided by MBServer - are they available on the server and then not transferring across to MBClassic?

Stick with one at the moment - if you want MBClassic, then let's get that sorted and avoid questions on MBT - its making it more difficult to address your actual concerns.

Oh and what were the 2 movies which wouldn't play - just out of curiosity?
Yes steelman you're right I'm scattered like crazy on AVS. Partly because in some threads there is a lack of interest/help. Problem is, I have too many projects going. I decided to build an HTPC at the same time I decided to replace all my AVR equipment (including speakers). Then i cut the cord and went OTA, that was one heck of a project. Now I'd like to upgrade to a 65 inch TV. Too much! smile.gif

Anyhow, yes i'd like to focus on WMC and MB3 classic.

I followed Assassin's guides and set up WMC with MB. I didn't realize there was MB3 at the time. I Uninstaller MB and installed MB3 server and classic. I have 43 blu ray movies ripped to MKV. All are of the "passthrough" quality including DTS-HD audio. The only movies that don't play are "Frozen" and "Free Birds". I made a mistake on Free Birds during the ripping process I forgot to check dts-hd. It was DD audio. So I deleted it and re-ripped. I seem to remember that when I gave Free Birds a test it was via classic (so it worked) but maybe I tested it with powerdvd. Anyhow there's no way of telling now. Frozen was originally ripped to a compressed version of MKV (DD audio) so I deleted it and re-ripped as well. So Frozen and Free Birds have in common that they were replaced at one point and time. That is obviously a part of the problem. The only thing is, I made a mistake with Battman too and redid it but it plays fine.

The first half of my movies were ripped via DVDFAB but other half is makemkv. DVDFab stopped the free trial after a few days. Think it was some court order or something.

The backdrops were there this morning. Usually a restart fixes it. Last night the backdrops were there but incredibly dark. Almost completely black.

I am going to download MPC-HC tonight. I'll add it as an external player for classic. This should fix the frame rate concern and it undoubtedly will play the movies that WMC won't play.

HTPC: z97 mobo, 16GB mem, i5-4440, SSD+HD, LG BD drive, Win 8.1 pro w/WMC + MB3.
post #4054 of 4110 Old 04-28-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
I often find that starting a dedicated thread (new) for whatever specific problems you have is the best way to track and follow through to conclusion.

Many veterans like myself ignore the sticky threads. Personally when I see something like Assassin's old hardware thread get bumpedI totally ignore it as old and uninteresting. The hardware recommended in that thread is outdated, and it had a good purpose originally but much less these days, especially since his guides are now free. Same story on the Server, or the old how to build an HTPC thread from 2007, or something like this which I consider to be about MediaBrowser 2 (no thanks).

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4055 of 4110 Old 04-28-2014, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I often find that starting a dedicated thread (new) for whatever specific problems you have is the best way to track and follow through to conclusion.

Many veterans like myself ignore the sticky threads. Personally when I see something like Assassin's old hardware thread get bumpedI totally ignore it as old and uninteresting. The hardware recommended in that thread is outdated, and it had a good purpose originally but much less these days, especially since his guides are now free. Same story on the Server, or the old how to build an HTPC thread from 2007, or something like this which I consider to be about MediaBrowser 2 (no thanks).
Copy that. I haven't had time to do my usually HTPC tinkering but when I do I'll start a new thread. My TV is so small (46 inch) I'm probably not going to do any more tinkering until I get a bigger display. It hurts my neck and back to sit on the ground to be close enough to see what I'm doing lol.

post #4056 of 4110 Old 04-28-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm sure this has been answered in one of the hundreds of threads/posts here but I'm going to ask it outright anyway tongue.gif

I currently use MyMovies. It works pretty well but I want to keep my options open.

As you know in MM, you have a collection management application that lets you add the specific version/format/country/edition/etc... of the movie you have to the database.

How do applications like Media Browser (and XBMC) handle movie information without a similar collections management component? Does it just look at the file name and find something online? How does it distinguish between a Canadian Extended version of a movie and a regular version?

Thanks!
post #4057 of 4110 Old 04-28-2014, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 113
who says media browser doesn't have built in collection management?
post #4058 of 4110 Old 04-29-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemb View Post

who says media browser doesn't have built in collection management?

Hmm.. ok. I was under the impression that MyMovies was the only one with the collection management feature. It might have been when I first made the decision to use it.

MM doesn't seen too popular around here and I was thinking that might be due to having to spend time babysitting the collection management vs. using scraped data.
post #4059 of 4110 Old 04-29-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

Hmm.. ok. I was under the impression that MyMovies was the only one with the collection management feature. It might have been when I first made the decision to use it.

MM doesn't seen too popular around here and I was thinking that might be due to having to spend time babysitting the collection management vs. using scraped data.

The older versions of MediaBrowser didn't really have collection management (i.e. it could scrape for you but that was it IIRC). MB3 does have this feature, done via the server side. I use metabrowser for all my scraping/management so I haven't really messed around with this feature much on MB3

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #4060 of 4110 Old 04-29-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
MB3 has become the certain front end / back end of choice for me..

post #4061 of 4110 Old 04-29-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

MB3 has become the certain front end / back end of choice for me..

I only set up MB3 this weekend and so far I am impressed (don't do much HTPCing these days)

Cheers,
Damian

post #4062 of 4110 Old 04-29-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
It will run on many devices such as Roku, Android, iPhone/Pad as well as DLNA TV's, etc.

For me, a $300 or so intel NUC is much more than any streamer box can hope to be, but that is just me..

post #4063 of 4110 Old 04-29-2014, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Everyone,

For a limited time, Media Browser 3 Apps are just $0.99!!

A quote from Luke, MB3s Lead Developer today (April 29, 2014)...
Quote:
To celebrate a slew of releases and announcements today, for one week all of our apps can be purchased for $.99:

Android @ Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co...duct/B00GVH9O0I

Android @ Play Store:
https://play.google....b.android&hl=en

Windows 8.1:
http://apps.microsof...44-bed3aefd5d06

Windows Phone:
http://www.windowsph...bb-94fd98613b86

Participating Plugins:
Cover Art, MB Intros (Thanks Ebr!)

Please support us by purchasing these great apps! And don't forget, if you haven't done already, please remember to rate/review the app on their respective store.

Important Note:

The Windows 8 app store is taking a little longer to apply the change. Please be patient.
post #4064 of 4110 Old 04-30-2014, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Regarding MyMovies vs MB3, MM is built more for managing a disc rip based collection whereas MB is built more towards a movie file (ie MKV) based collection. Yes, they cross over a bit as well, but the intention is clear.

That being said, I hope to use MB for a disc ISO collection, but it really needs a few more features IMO for this, such as:

1. More robust external player support to make the newest versions of PDVD work.

2. Would love to see a way just to specify an external ISO mounting program (ie Virtual Clone Drive) without a player. So I can select a movie ISO in MB and let windows auto play choose what to do with the mounted image to a real drive letter.

3. Needs better mutidisc support for when movies come on 2+ discs or releases have special feature discs. So my 3 disc release of Brave, for example, had the 3D ISO, 2D ISO, and special feature disc ISO in one folder, but MB only shows on meta data entry in the views. Then when I select play it prompts me which disc/file to play back.

4. Better meta data support for 3D BD disc rips. Right now you designate 3D files but not 3D ISO. 3D ISO rips need a 3D designation and overlay.

I've posted some of these ideas on their forums already, but need to go make a more detailed post.

I'll also comment that having to link every disc entry in MyMovies to their folder/file is a huge turnoff. I don't want to have to reset what could be hundreds of items if I ever move or rename a folder.

Plus I really don't want to use Media Center again, so MB having MediaBrowser Theater is a huge plus. Just hope it really sees some faster develop soon to get more capability enabled.
post #4065 of 4110 Old 04-30-2014, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Oh, the other thing MB needs is coordinated support for categorizing and displaying disc-based TV series as disc-based releases.
post #4066 of 4110 Old 04-30-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post

2. Would love to see a way just to specify an external ISO mounting program (ie Virtual Clone Drive) without a player. So I can select a movie ISO in MB and let windows auto play choose what to do with the mounted image to a real drive letter.

This was an option with MB2. I use VCD for ISO mounting and just set it to Auto-Play with TMT. Is this not an option with MB3 anymore? I'm still in the process of testing MB3 before I deploy it on all the HTPC's in the house.
post #4067 of 4110 Old 05-01-2014, 08:20 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

This was an option with MB2. I use VCD for ISO mounting and just set it to Auto-Play with TMT. Is this not an option with MB3 anymore? I'm still in the process of testing MB3 before I deploy it on all the HTPC's in the house.

MB Classic (the WMC app) still allows this.

MB Theater uses a built-in ISO reading technique that does not use an external mounter.
post #4068 of 4110 Old 05-01-2014, 08:24 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

For any of you stragglers still on MB 2.x...
Quote:
Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:34 AM

Beginning June 1st, we will be removing support for previous MB 2 Supporter keys in the MB 3 Server and removing this field from the product.

As long as you get your MB 2 key in before this date, you will get credit for any MB 2 registrations. After that time, it won't be possible to enter the old key and the system will stop checking against the old database.

We aren't making this move to try and take anything away but the old MB 2 database is being shut down and we want to remove this additional complexity from the current product. The need for this field should be very small at this point so it is just a point of confusion for new users going forward.

So, if you've been dragging your feet on making the move over to MB 3, I suggest you go ahead and do it smile.gif.

Honestly, there aren't a lot of carry-overs from MB2 from a registration standpoint anymore anyway as most of the themes are either new for MBC or free. On the server side, it is probably only my CoverArt and MB Intros plug-ins that would carry forward their registrations and they are on sale for $1.00 each this week so you could just do that as well.

In any case, if you are still straggling on MB 2.x, I suggest you look into moving over. That system simply won't be supported anymore.
post #4069 of 4110 Old 05-01-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr View Post

on sale for $1.00 each

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4070 of 4110 Old 05-10-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:

For any of you stragglers still on MB 2.x...
Honestly, there aren't a lot of carry-overs from MB2 from a registration standpoint anymore anyway as most of the themes are either new for MBC or free. On the server side, it is probably only my CoverArt and MB Intros plug-ins that would carry forward their registrations and they are on sale for $1.00 each this week so you could just do that as well.

In any case, if you are still straggling on MB 2.x, I suggest you look into moving over. That system simply won't be supported anymore.

if I provide my own metadata I assume this will continue to work indefinitely. does it need to phone home?

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #4071 of 4110 Old 05-10-2014, 11:09 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

if I provide my own metadata I assume this will continue to work indefinitely. does it need to phone home?

It depends on the particular component. Some premium themes will need to validate registration.

At some point, we may be able to put something in place that will make these work but I'm not sure exactly when. I would suggest upgrading to the new system if possible.
post #4072 of 4110 Old 05-10-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 210
i was poking around the site looking into it again today. it looks really sharp but i kind of wrote it off months ago when i found it couldn't handle entry points. didn't see enough new features id use to make me drastically alter how i use my htpc.

if it wasn't for my cable subscription holding me back id love to use MBT

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #4073 of 4110 Old 05-10-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 196
There's a workaround for entry points, for what it's worth. It's not the greatest, as I needed to make separate user profiles for TV and Videos and then have them sync played status to my main profile through trakt.tv, but it made MB3 usable for me.

http://mediabrowser3.com/community/index.php?/topic/2488-addin-to-launch-specific-mb-profiles-as-workaround-for-entrypoints/

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #4074 of 4110 Old 05-11-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

The older versions of MediaBrowser didn't really have collection management (i.e. it could scrape for you but that was it IIRC). MB3 does have this feature, done via the server side. I use metabrowser for all my scraping/management so I haven't really messed around with this feature much on MB3

So does one have to log into the server to edit this data or can it be done via a web/application interface on a client PC?
post #4075 of 4110 Old 05-11-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So does one have to log into the server to edit this data or can it be done via a web/application interface on a client PC?

You can access remotely on another PC, you don't need to log in directly to the server

Cheers,
Damian

post #4076 of 4110 Old 05-11-2014, 02:49 PM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You log in via a web application.

You can manage your server from your phone, tablet, laptop, whatever.
post #4077 of 4110 Old 05-12-2014, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Can't seem to figure out how to back out of MPC-HC during a movie with my remote. It's a rosewill remote for WMC. I have MB3 for WMC and am using MPC as an external player. Right now I have to use my mouse to back out (x out) to MB. I'd like to put the mouse away.

post #4078 of 4110 Old 05-12-2014, 08:34 PM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post

Can't seem to figure out how to back out of MPC-HC during a movie with my remote. It's a rosewill remote for WMC. I have MB3 for WMC and am using MPC as an external player. Right now I have to use my mouse to back out (x out) to MB. I'd like to put the mouse away.

You need to configure MPC-HC to close when you hit stop. The default command line in the external player setup should have done this or use the "Configure My Player" link.
post #4079 of 4110 Old 05-12-2014, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You need to configure MPC-HC to close when you hit stop. The default command line in the external player setup should have done this or use the "Configure My Player" link.

Ok so I need to do this via MB configure or via MPC-HC?

post #4080 of 4110 Old 05-12-2014, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

I cannot seem to find any options in "configure my player" that will allow the stop button to close MPC.  Stop, at the moment just "stops" the movie.  

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page