Media Browser: Great alternative to DVD Library/My Movies/Movie Collector - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 4110 Old 12-30-2008, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pclausen View Post

Wow, that is awesome! Yes, that is exactly what I want!

Which program did you use to gather the metadata? One of the ones suggested by politby? ("TV Scout" or TV "Meta Data Finder")

I used TV Scout. It's really easy to use, it gathers all the metadata and covers/banners from thetvdb.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 4110 Old 12-30-2008, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I downloaded TVScount and got all my TV Series fixed up. Man, this is really awesome.

I also downloaded Salamis Movie Organizer and got it working. One question though, how do I get my Blu-ray/HD-DVD cover art to include the blue/red surrounds like MyMovies does? I noticed in politby's screen shot of SMO that the movie cover there does include the red HD-DVD case cover.

It would be nice to be able to tell which titles are DVD, HD-DVD and BD. With MyMovies, when you add a movie by title, you define if the movie is DVD, Blu-ray or HD-DVD, something similar would be fantastic. Alternatively, what would be the easiest way to ensure that you get the BD/HD-DVD cover art instead of the DVD cover art every time which seems to be the case when using imdb?

I think I'm just about to drop MyMovies for good and never look back. This plugin is awesome and fast, even with my ~1400 movie collection.
post #63 of 4110 Old 12-30-2008, 09:12 AM

Liked: 10
so if i have Mmovies installed now, should i just install this also or do i have to remove mm from my system first?
post #64 of 4110 Old 12-30-2008, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

I downloaded TVScount and got all my TV Series fixed up. Man, this is really awesome.

I also downloaded Salamis Movie Organizer and got it working. One question though, how do I get my Blu-ray/HD-DVD cover art to include the blue/red surrounds like MyMovies does? I noticed in politby's screen shot of SMO that the movie cover there does include the red HD-DVD case cover.

It would be nice to be able to tell which titles are DVD, HD-DVD and BD. With MyMovies, when you add a movie by title, you define if the movie is DVD, Blu-ray or HD-DVD, something similar would be fantastic. Alternatively, what would be the easiest way to ensure that you get the BD/HD-DVD cover art instead of the DVD cover art every time which seems to be the case when using imdb?

I think I'm just about to drop MyMovies for good and never look back. This plugin is awesome and fast, even with my ~1400 movie collection.

well, since IMDB does not have the bd/hd dvd covers, I just get them from my favorite online store and save them as folder.jpg in the respective movie folders. do this after you have saved the movie data in salami's movie organizer.
post #65 of 4110 Old 12-30-2008, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzyboy View Post

so if i have Mmovies installed now, should i just install this also or do i have to remove mm from my system first?

You do not have to uninstall MM at all if you don't want to. I used both for a while. The two are independent of each other and video/media browser will make use of the metadata that MM already collected.
post #66 of 4110 Old 12-30-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubbs23 View Post

Are you using Vista x64? I am, and have not been able to get VCD to mount any images. When I click the movie title in VB, I get an error behind VMC from VCDMount saying "Can't mount 0,E:\\...\\movietitle.iso!"

same problem here running vista 32bit, suggestions anyone?
post #67 of 4110 Old 12-30-2008, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

well, since IMDB does not have the bd/hd dvd covers, I just get them from my favorite online store and save them as folder.jpg in the respective movie folders. do this after you have saved the movie data in salami's movie organizer.

Ah, got it.

For now I went ahead and let MyMovies populate all my HD movie folders since that app already contained the correct cover art.

On a slightly off-topic note, what are you using to create .mkv files for each episode from a DVD? I'm still using PgcDemux to rip out the individual episodes and then I use mkvmerge to assemble the .mkvs. It is a real pain and it took me forever to do long series like Star Trek TNG and DS9 this way.
post #68 of 4110 Old 12-30-2008, 01:21 PM

another question is i have iso backup of my blu ray movies, is it possible to get coverart for them to show up without having a folder for each iso?
post #69 of 4110 Old 12-30-2008, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nownot View Post

another question is i have iso backup of my blu ray movies, is it possible to get coverart for them to show up without having a folder for each iso?

I believe the answer is no. I had a couple hundred .mkv files of my ripped Blu-ray movies sitting in a single folder. I created a folder for each and dropped them into it. I now have cover art and metadata within each folder.
post #70 of 4110 Old 12-30-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nownot View Post

Actually with the latest version it does get coverart and movie info without a folder for .mkv files. I am not certain if it would do this for .iso's. Worth a try.
post #71 of 4110 Old 12-30-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor View Post

You mean like this? Just a couple of screenshots to give you an idea.

How did you get what the show is about. I have the metdata for Hogan's Heroes episodes but can't get the metadata to show up for what Hogan's Heroes was about. Meaning this metadata.
post #72 of 4110 Old 12-30-2008, 09:45 PM

I just installed 2040 version and it looks like it's downloading updates without tvscout. Great plugin i must say!
post #73 of 4110 Old 12-31-2008, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menatep View Post

I just installed 2040 version and it looks like it's downloading updates without tvscout. Great plugin i must say!

I have noticed this too. Unfortunately, it's not always pulling English language sub-banners (the banners when you go into a particular season for a TV series) and cover art. Some of my Battlestar Galactica sub-banners are in Spanish, and some of my TNG covers are in German, and Season 1 of Weeds is in Japaneese! TVScout is not immune to this issue either, despite being configured with English as the language.

Since some of these graphics are embedded within the plug-in, there doesn't seem to be a way to correct it. I have also found that when I replace a folder.jpg image for a particular season, the plug-in doesn't pick it up, even if I clear the cache. I have to uninstall and re-install the plug-in to force it to pick up the new cover art.

Those minor issues aside (this is beta after all), this is probably the best plug-in I have ever tried. I just love how it pulls in unique background images for each season for TV series as well as for each movie title!
post #74 of 4110 Old 12-31-2008, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah, got it.

For now I went ahead and let MyMovies populate all my HD movie folders since that app already contained the correct cover art.

On a slightly off-topic note, what are you using to create .mkv files for each episode from a DVD? I'm still using PgcDemux to rip out the individual episodes and then I use mkvmerge to assemble the .mkvs. It is a real pain and it took me forever to do long series like Star Trek TNG and DS9 this way.

I use HandBrake. Works very well, can be run in batch mode and creates good quality files. You neeed the x264 open source encoder (just put it in the Handbrake program folder).

/politby
post #75 of 4110 Old 12-31-2008, 04:02 AM

Ok i installed the program but when it does the initial scan it finds nothing. I am using Mmovies and have about 20 files on my drive which show and play in MM. What am i doing wrong?..I dont have the other two programs that are listed installed.
thanks
post #76 of 4110 Old 12-31-2008, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok i installed the program but when it does the initial scan it finds nothing. I am using Mmovies and have about 20 files on my drive which show and play in MM. What am i doing wrong?..I dont have the other two programs that are listed installed.
thanks

Did you change the initial location to the parent folder that contains all your movies?
post #77 of 4110 Old 12-31-2008, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I use HandBrake. Works very well, can be run in batch mode and creates good quality files. You neeed the x264 open source encoder (just put it in the Handbrake program folder).

Thanks. I'll check it out. I'm not looking to re-encode my DVDs, just extract each MPEG2 episode and put it in a .mkv container.

Also, I downloaded the genre icons you linked to and dropped them all into:

C:\\ProgramData\\MediaBrowser\\GenreImages\\

However, I'm still getting the generic folder icons when in genre view. Is there something else I need to configure?

Thanks
post #78 of 4110 Old 12-31-2008, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. I'll check it out. I'm not looking to re-encode my DVDs, just extract each MPEG2 episode and put it in a .mkv container.

Also, I downloaded the genre icons you linked to and dropped them all into:

C:\\ProgramData\\MediaBrowser\\GenreImages\\

However, I'm still getting the generic folder icons when in genre view. Is there something else I need to configure?

Thanks

Yes, the placement of the genre images is different from the old (Video Browser) version. You need to create a folder called "ImagesByName" in the Program Data folder, and then in that folder one folder for each genre. The genre icons go into each of those folders:

/politby
post #79 of 4110 Old 12-31-2008, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks

If you aren't planning to re-encode there's really no point in creating .mkv containers. You will save time just by saving the episodes to original MPEG2 files. I'm using Magic DVD Ripper to do this.

I also tried creating .mkvs with MPEG2 video but I could not find any software that would do that in one step. Needed to de-mux the DVDs first and then remux into mkv's. Again just extra work for no real benefit.

/politby
post #80 of 4110 Old 12-31-2008, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone else having problems reaching the Media Browser site? I haven't been able to reach it in the last couple of days...
post #81 of 4110 Old 12-31-2008, 05:13 AM
<><
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

For those who llike to browse movies by genre, I found some really nice looking genre icons:

They can be downloaded from here.

They appear to be free for personal use.

/politby

Hey, since you already have it setup, is it possible for you to zip up and post the ImagesByName folder so others don't have to create each folder and rename the images to folder.jpg.

And yes, Sam's server is down, so the website is not accessible

Thanks
post #82 of 4110 Old 12-31-2008, 05:49 AM

Quote:

Anyone else having problems reaching the Media Browser site? I haven't been able to reach it in the last couple of days...

The bbs has been done for like a week by my count. Too bad, I wanted to lavish praise upon them for the latest media browser build.
post #83 of 4110 Old 12-31-2008, 06:04 AM

Ok working now, it even launched Powerdvd for my blu ray. sweet.

Oh in movie organizer it asks for path for saving movie genre folder..where do i want that to be?
post #84 of 4110 Old 12-31-2008, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, the placement of the genre images is different from the old (Video Browser) version. You need to create a folder called "ImagesByName" in the Program Data folder, and then in that folder one folder for each genre. The genre icons go into each of those folders:

Thanks, that did the trick!

I had to rename my "mystery" folder to "crime" and drop the "s" from the "classics" and "sports" folders.

This leaves me with the following genres with no match:

Mystery
Martial Arts
Suspense/Thriller

I do have a "suspense" folder, but for obvious reasons Vista doesn't allow me to rename it to "suspense/thriller".

I have about 100 movies in the Suspense/Thriller genre. Do I need to go in and edit the xml for each to drop the "/thriller" from the genre? Is there an easier way?
post #85 of 4110 Old 12-31-2008, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by <><</strong> View Post

Hey, since you already have it setup, is it possible for you to zip up and post the ImagesByName folder so others don't have to create each folder and rename the images to folder.jpg.

Here you go:

http://www.cstone.net/~dk/ImagesByName.zip
post #86 of 4110 Old 12-31-2008, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you aren't planning to re-encode there's really no point in creating .mkv containers. You will save time just by saving the episodes to original MPEG2 files. I'm using Magic DVD Ripper to do this.

Thanks, I'll check it out.
post #87 of 4110 Old 12-31-2008, 06:42 AM

how do i make this thing play bluray folder rips? i have tmt installed.
post #88 of 4110 Old 12-31-2008, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sam posted the other day over that TGB that his server crashed. He has a backup for everything but it is going to be down for a few days until he gets it back up
post #89 of 4110 Old 12-31-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkedda View Post

how do i make this thing play bluray folder rips? i have tmt installed.

Well i cant say for sure but when i hit one of my blu rays it actually launched Powerdvd, which i had installed and played my file.
post #90 of 4110 Old 12-31-2008, 07:50 AM
<><
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well i cant say for sure but when i hit one of my blu rays it actually launched Powerdvd, which i had installed and played my file.

Eh? I'm guessing you have your blu-rays in ISO format and not folder stucture...?
I don't think they have the functionality right now to identify hd-dvd/blu-ray folder structures and launch a player

And it autolaunching powerdvd has to do your autoplay settings in vista and not Media Browser, as it does not launch any external player for you.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page