Media Browser: Great alternative to DVD Library/My Movies/Movie Collector - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 4110 Old 03-20-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylormia View Post

Just an observation. Shouldn't this thread be renamed "MediaBrowser" instead of "Video Browser"? It would eliminate confusion and show up better on searches.

Any opinions ?

I think it was started way back when media browser was called video browser

"If the world didn't suck, we'd all fly off."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 4110 Old 03-20-2009, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I sent politby a message to have him rename it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gamertag:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #903 of 4110 Old 03-20-2009, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

In the Configuration > Display, make sure you have "Show Backdrop on Selected Views" checked.

Also put your backdrop.jpg or backdrop.png file in the C:\\ProgramData\\MediaBrowser\\StartupFolder

Still no dice. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. "Show Backdrop on Selected Views" was already checked. I cleared the cache too. Any more ideas, I could really have fun with this, and add them to my thread.

Here is a snipit...

Thanks,

Gamertag:
post #904 of 4110 Old 03-20-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:

Just an observation. Shouldn't this thread be renamed "MediaBrowser" instead of "Video Browser"? It would eliminate confusion and show up better on searches.

Any opinions ?

As long as it doesn't effect me having subscribed to it..

OTH, why no just subscribe to it? I'm assuming you're asking for any "new" ppl new to the software...

Enough with the PMs about the name...

Getting
Everything
Never
Implies
U are
Satisfied
post #905 of 4110 Old 03-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzener View Post

Still no dice. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. "Show Backdrop on Selected Views" was already checked. I cleared the cache too. Any more ideas, I could really have fun with this, and add them to my thread.

Here is a snipit...

Thanks,

just a shot in the dark but try switching to show extensions for known file type and just make sure there are no double extensions in there like backdrop.png.jpg
like a said just a shot in the dark.

post #906 of 4110 Old 03-20-2009, 12:53 PM
CFC
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Here is a snipit...

Thanks,

I noticed that the backdrop appears only in certain views, so you may try "poster" or "thumb" ... assuming that's not what you're using currently.
It worked for me by simply adding a "backdrop.jpg" to the startup folder.

CFC

Signature goes here
post #907 of 4110 Old 03-20-2009, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

I sent politby a message to have him rename it.

Okay, I could change the title as shown on the first post, but not the one shown in the forum index. Maybe a moderator can do it?

/politby
post #908 of 4110 Old 03-20-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

Okay, I could change the title as shown on the first post, but not the one shown in the forum index. Maybe a moderator can do it?

/politby

Could you send a message to the Moderator/Admin to change the name?

Thanks.

post #909 of 4110 Old 03-20-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:

Here is a snipit...

Thanks,

Try deleting the backdrop.jpg file you have in the Startup folder and replace it with another. Sometimes the jpg file can get corrupted.

post #910 of 4110 Old 03-21-2009, 04:45 AM

I'm running the latest version of MB (2.0.11) with the Default theme in cover flow view, TMT 2.1.6.129, My Movies 2.52, and Vista Ultra 32 SP1. All of my movies are in folders on a FreeNAS .69 server and I use TMT (uMCEDVDPlayer.exe) to play all Bluray and HDDVD titles.

If I select a movie from the cover flow view, then select play from the detail screen, the movie will start to play fine. Again, I'm playing a Bluray movie from a folder (AnyDVDHD Rip to Folder). After a few minutes (usually less than 5-10 minutes), the TMT uMCEDVDPlayer.exe player seems to lose focus and is sent behind the VMC window. I'm then left with MB's detail screen which has the play button on it and the details about the movie. It seems to happen more often than not. Of course, if I TRY to make it happen, it doesn't (even using the same movie that has caused a problem in the past) -- it seems to wait until we're all enjoying the movie . It's as if something is telling VMC or MB to move to the top; I don't have "always on top" checked in VMC Setup and it is set in TMT's non-VMC player. The VMC player (uMCEDVDPlayer) does not have this option.

The only thing I have running are AnyDVD HD (6.5.3.1) and the MyMovies systray application which ALWAYS seems to come back, no matter how many times I close it. This is a HTPC, so I don't let other things execute. The machine does have Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra 8 and TheaterTek installed, but I've disabled all their systray applications.

The only thing left is to completely reinstall VMC and all the HT software.

Has anyone had a similar experience or any thoughts on what else I can do short of re-installing?

Thanks for your help!

hm
post #911 of 4110 Old 03-23-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius74 View Post

As long as it doesn't effect me having subscribed to it..

OTH, why no just subscribe to it? I'm assuming you're asking for any "new" ppl new to the software...

Well I guess you guys got your name change.. Seems like it did effect the subscription that I had to this thread.. I had to "find" the thread again, unsubscribe & then resubscribe..

Enough with the PMs about the name...

Getting
Everything
Never
Implies
U are
Satisfied
post #912 of 4110 Old 03-23-2009, 09:59 AM

Hi folks..

I have been trying to learn as much as I can about mediabrowser.. I like it so far.. got my movies in catagories, cover art, etc..

I know its somewhere in the docs, but can someone tell me exactly how to play blue ray rips from hard drive with MB.. I am using daemon tools lite and PDVD 8.. all my rips are ISO's in folders..

what do I need to do in MB to get this to work

thanks

-Brad
post #913 of 4110 Old 03-23-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brado32 View Post

I know its somewhere in the docs, but can someone tell me exactly how to play blue ray rips from hard drive with MB.. I am using daemon tools lite and PDVD 8.. all my rips are ISO's in folders..

what do I need to do in MB to get this to work

Configure Windows Autoplay in the Windows Control Panel and test it to insure Autoplay works outside of MB.

Use the MB "Configuration Wizard - advanced playback tab" to tell MB where the daemon tools executable is located and which drive letter you use for the mounted ISO's. Also tell MB to use Autoplay by checking that box on the same tab.

That is "it" in its simplest form.
post #914 of 4110 Old 03-24-2009, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

i have a quick and hopefully simple question.

Most of my contents are in mkv format. i started to rip a few dvds to folder format for playback, by default vmc will play the movies but i have noticed that the quality of playback is just not too good, i see shadowing in movies (which i don't see on my 1080p or 720 mkv files) i was just wondering how to get an external player to launch instead of the vmc default player, when selecting a movie. I have a few at my disposal so please share with me your in put on which play i should use (gives best picture quality) and how i should go about configuring it to launch. the most seamless would also be a big plus, i would like for it to go back to mc when the movie is complete.
thanks.

post #915 of 4110 Old 03-24-2009, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNkLorD View Post

Most of my contents are in mkv format. i started to rip a few dvds to folder format for playback, by default vmc will play the movies but i have noticed that the quality of playback is just not too good, i see shadowing in movies (which i don't see on my 1080p or 720 mkv files) i was just wondering how to get an external player to launch instead of the vmc default player, when selecting a movie. I have a few at my disposal so please share with me your in put on which play i should use (gives best picture quality) and how i should go about configuring it to launch. the most seamless would also be a big plus, i would like for it to go back to mc when the movie is complete.
thanks.

did you rip them to a lesser quality or from a compressed source? My dvd folder ripped playback looks really good.

what are you using to rip? what codec packs do you have installed?

post #916 of 4110 Old 03-24-2009, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think DVD quality is as good as the typical HD MKV.
post #917 of 4110 Old 03-24-2009, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberedUp View Post

and its also not as bad as he is describing.

post #918 of 4110 Old 03-24-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:

thanks.

Almost all the 720p and 1080p out there were ripped from true HD sources (BluRay, HDDVD, and HDTV).

Your standard definitions DVD's will never look as good no matter what player or ripper you use. (yes even upsampling won't compare)

This will become more and more obvious as you go to bigger displays.

So, I wouldn't spend too much time mucking around with other players in hopes of getting comparable PQ from your DVD rips.

Sorry
post #919 of 4110 Old 03-24-2009, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a 50" display and dvd quality looks really, really good with the upscaling that occurs, granted its not an HD mkv file.

The way the question was posted it sounds like he is ripping his dvds to a lower quality, i have a compressed dvd that i ripped that shows the artifacts as described. it obvious there is something wrong with it.

post #920 of 4110 Old 03-24-2009, 11:46 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

thanks.

I used DVDshrink 3.2 to rip my DVDs at no compression. Then use handbrake (set at bitrate quality at about 80% or more). The quality rocks on my 152" screen..... but mark you; the quality will never be same as HD-DVD, or Bluray

post #921 of 4110 Old 03-24-2009, 12:33 PM

TMT 3 Platinum no longer works with Config.xml edited with it as external player....anybody get it to work?
post #922 of 4110 Old 03-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 View Post

did you rip them to a lesser quality or from a compressed source? My dvd folder ripped playback looks really good.

what are you using to rip? what codec packs do you have installed?

i just started ripping some of my dvds, a few were from past rips when i was using mymovies, and you are right some were ripped to dvd5 and not dvd9, but over all even with dvd9 full disc rip, the quality is not too hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberedUp View Post

i understand that dvd quality will never be as good as HD mkv, hence why most of my media is in mkv format. i never expected my dvd rips to look as good, but if i take the same movie and pop it on my xbox and play it back the quality is much better.

Quote:

and its also not as bad as he is describing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguy View Post

Almost all the 720p and 1080p out there were ripped from true HD sources (BluRay, HDDVD, and HDTV).

Your standard definitions DVD's will never look as good no matter what player or ripper you use. (yes even upsampling won't compare)

This will become more and more obvious as you go to bigger displays.

So, I wouldn't spend too much time mucking around with other players in hopes of getting comparable PQ from your DVD rips.

Sorry

completely understand that the hd contents will always out shine dvds, and most of my media will remain in HDMKV but i do have a few that will need to be ripped from dvd. I just have a feeling that i am just not getting the pq that i should get from the software player.
Quote:

I have a 50" display and dvd quality looks really, really good with the upscaling that occurs, granted its not an HD mkv file.

The way the question was posted it sounds like he is ripping his dvds to a lower quality, i have a compressed dvd that i ripped that shows the artifacts as described. it obvious there is something wrong with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosdude View Post

I used DVDshrink 3.2 to rip my DVDs at no compression. Then use handbrake (set at bitrate quality at about 80% or more). The quality rocks on my 152" screen..... but mark you; the quality will never be same as HD-DVD, or Bluray

even with full disc rips i still don't seem to get the pq that i should be getting. my tv is no where near as large as your screen, so i know somthing is wrong, even if i was using compression i don't think i should have as low of a quality.

I am not looking for HD mkv quality, i know that will never happen, i am just looking for better sd pq. i use anydvd, dvdshrink, and dvdfab to rip my discs. as for codecs i would have to go back and check which ones exactly i have installed.

honestly i guess if it didn't have the shadowing that i sometimes see, i guess it would not be so bad, but like i said my xbox360 seems to play the movies with better results.

post #923 of 4110 Old 03-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

snip

I have converted many dvds (mostly tv shows) to mkv (x264 encoding) and noticed no discernible difference in video quality. It all depends on the settings/bitrate you select. I have used Handbrake for these rips fyi.
post #924 of 4110 Old 03-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by genro View Post

I have converted many dvds (mostly tv shows) to mkv (x264 encoding) and noticed no discernible difference in video quality. It all depends on the settings/bitrate you select. I have used Handbrake for these rips fyi.

thanks for the info, i was hoping not to convert dvds to mkv, since dvd playback seems to be pretty standard for all players now a days and not really worth the effort to convert at the price of also losing menu and chapter skipping (media control software does not work for me).

post #925 of 4110 Old 03-24-2009, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Something has to be going wrong in your rips or the settings in you HTPC. I use DVDFab to rip out the main movie only of all my DVD's to folders with no compression, played through VMC. I also have an Xbox 360 and a Toshiba DVD player. As far as quality goes the Xbox is the worst and the Rips through the HTCP are the best, but you really have to look close to se the diffrence from the stand alone Toshiba to the HTPC. These are played on a 57" 1080i rear projection.

post #926 of 4110 Old 03-24-2009, 01:51 PM

Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96redformula View Post

TMT 3 Platinum no longer works with Config.xml edited with it as external player....anybody get it to work?

No, it does not work for me either. I get the choice of using TMT 2 or TMT 3 as my player when I click Play. TMT 2 still works as it should. TMT 3 opens to a blue screen with a little red X in the upper left hand corner.

I do not have the external player edit in my xml file. I used the autolauch selection instead.

I tried removing the TMT programs from VMC Setup and putting the ExternalPlayer info into the xml file, but it merely said I did not have any programs installed to play a BR inside VMC. I tried it with the TMT programs selected in VMC Setup and using the ExternalPlayer info, but it only launched the VMC programs. It completely ignored the ExternalPlayer info. I also tried it with the autoplay setting set to false. No change.
post #927 of 4110 Old 03-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post

Something has to be going wrong in your rips or the settings in you HTPC. I use DVDFab to rip out the main movie only of all my DVD's to folders with no compression, played through VMC. I also have an Xbox 360 and a Toshiba DVD player. As far as quality goes the Xbox is the worst and the Rips through the HTCP are the best, but you really have to look close to se the diffrence from the stand alone Toshiba to the HTPC. These are played on a 57" 1080i rear projection.

i can't figure out what could be wrong? ripping dvds honestly isn't rocket science. i will try running playback with TMT and Cyberlink outside of mc and see if it makes a diffence. I will also try with the actual disc both ways...

it could just be me, and i am just too use to HD playbacks?

post #928 of 4110 Old 03-24-2009, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I personally think your eyes are used to HD and SD just no longer looks good. But, that being said, you mentioned that you did a playback comparison between your Xbox and HTPC and found a difference. So, I can only think that it has to be some software or video card setting in your HTPC. Nothing else seems to make sense.

How is the HTPC and Xbox physically connected to your TV?
post #929 of 4110 Old 03-24-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericwe View Post

Configure Windows Autoplay in the Windows Control Panel and test it to insure Autoplay works outside of MB.

Use the MB "Configuration Wizard - advanced playback tab" to tell MB where the daemon tools executable is located and which drive letter you use for the mounted ISO's. Also tell MB to use Autoplay by checking that box on the same tab.

That is "it" in its simplest form.

Still doesnt work.. I verified that when I mount an ISO form daemon tools, anydvd scans it then PDVD8 opens and im good to go.. But when launching from MB; VMC minimizes, daemon tools mounts the ISO, anydvd scans, but PDVD never opens.. cant figure this one out..

any other ideas?

Brad
post #930 of 4110 Old 03-24-2009, 03:44 PM

Does anyone know of a program like Salami's Movie Organizer execpt for MP3's where it downloads coverart and stuff as easy as Salami's Movie Organizer does??
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page