Media Browser: Great alternative to DVD Library/My Movies/Movie Collector - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 4110 Old 12-31-2008, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzyboy View Post

Ok working now, it even launched Powerdvd for my blu ray. sweet.

Oh in movie organizer it asks for path for saving movie genre folder..where do i want that to be?

You using Daemon Tools or Virtual Clone Drive for mounting?

Does it launch PowerDVD ontop of VMC? Or does VMC minimize to get to PowerDVD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4110 Old 12-31-2008, 08:41 AM

Well i am all new to this...Im using Daemon Tools and it launches it on top of VMC...ok just tried it ...I get a mounting image box...then a cant play video..then powerdvd launches on top of VMC....not the most elegant but it works.

Oh, yes my blu rays are in ISO format.
post #93 of 4110 Old 12-31-2008, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Klown View Post

How did you get what the show is about. I have the metdata for Hogan's Heroes episodes but can't get the metadata to show up for what Hogan's Heroes was about. Meaning this metadata.

I collected the metadata using TVScout. It automatically downloaded all the metadata and created the appropriate files. I have taken a screenshot of what should be in the main folder, take a look. The series.xml actually contains the data you are talking about. Keep in mind, with the latest releases, things are changing a bit. Media Browser will now go out and get the metadata itself and I am not sure where it is keeping it. I have noticed with the last two movies I have added that media browser went out and got the metadata itself and it shows up fine in media browser but I don't see the metadata in the folder itself where the movie is located.

Edit: I forgot to mention. You must be in "Detail" view and not "Poster" view in media browser for the show description to show up.
LL
post #94 of 4110 Old 12-31-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor View Post

I collected the metadata using TVScout. It automatically downloaded all the metadata and created the appropriate files. I have taken a screenshot of what should be in the main folder, take a look. The series.xml actually contains the data you are talking about. Keep in mind, with the latest releases, things are changing a bit. Media Browser will now go out and get the metadata itself and I am not sure where it is keeping it. I have noticed with the last two movies I have added that media browser went out and got the metadata itself and it shows up fine in media browser but I don't see the metadata in the folder itself where the movie is located.

Odd I have the folder.jpg, banner.jpg and the series.xml in the folder. Only thing in video browser that shows up is the folder.jpg.
post #95 of 4110 Old 12-31-2008, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Klown View Post

Odd I have the folder.jpg, banner.jpg and the series.xml in the folder. Only thing in video browser that shows up is the folder.jpg.

Are you in "Detail" view?
LL
post #96 of 4110 Old 12-31-2008, 10:32 AM

Doesn't matter what view I'm in, the series.xml doesn't show up.

edit: just changed to details for all the movies and now it shows up.
post #97 of 4110 Old 12-31-2008, 10:35 AM
<><
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor View Post

Edit: I forgot to mention. You must be in "Detail" view and not "Poster" view in media browser for the show description to show up.

It is best to do all the metadata/images yourself (using Salami's Movie Organizer and TVScout) and put the appropriate xml files and images in the corresponding folders.

If you use the auto metadata retrieval, it only stores it in that machines cache (c:\\programdata\\media browser\\cache), and is not available to other htpcs that might be sharing the same media...and if you clear the cache, it has to fetch everything all over again from the web.
If it is stored with the movie/tv show folder, it still caches it to its local machine cache, but it retrieves it from your stored xml files, so its a lot faster and all your htpcs will be synced.
post #98 of 4110 Old 12-31-2008, 11:01 AM

Yes, i have a combination of ISO and folder structures. the beauty of mymovies is that it can play both! i hope this is added to media browser ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by <><</strong> View Post

Eh? I'm guessing you have your blu-rays in ISO format and not folder stucture...?
I don't think they have the functionality right now to identify hd-dvd/blu-ray folder structures and launch a player

And it autolaunching powerdvd has to do your autoplay settings in vista and not Media Browser, as it does not launch any external player for you.

post #99 of 4110 Old 12-31-2008, 12:22 PM

All my videos are ripped DVD's into .AVI files. They're mostly single files, in a single directory. Is there a way to use this WITHOUT putting each and every single file into a directory? That's seems quite the PITA to me that has kept me from using this. What with .mkv's specifically being a container for multiple files, I'd think this is the future.

Unless I'm missing something...?

(actually, I'd like to organize by genre folders, but that's another story...)

-Dan
post #100 of 4110 Old 01-01-2009, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'm having trouble manually controlling the banners and backdrops.

Taking a look at Battlestar Galactica for example, here's what the parent folder looks like:

And the folder for each season looks similar to this:

The only jpgs that are picked up by the plug-in are the folder.jpg ones. The banner and backdrop images are being pulled in from the Internet. The problem with this is that what is being pulled is sometimes not in the language that I want.

I realize that the reason for this is that the banner on thetvdb.com website is wrong. The banners there are Spanish for all the Battlestar episodes in the English section.

Browsing the banners and backdrops, I captured the ones I want to use, but the media browser plug-in seems to ignore them. Is there a way to manually control the banners and backdrops for both the "front page" for each series as well as within each series?

I'm also curious where media browser goes to pull the backdrops for movies? I'd like to store those backdrops inside each movie folder as well. I have a real slow Internet connection and it often takes 20 seconds or longer for the backdrop to populate the first time I look at the details for a particular movie. Since I have 3 HTPCs this is a bit bothersome.
post #101 of 4110 Old 01-01-2009, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by pclausen View Post

{snip}

I'm also curious where media browser goes to pull the backdrops for movies? I'd like to store those backdrops inside each movie folder as well. I have a real slow Internet connection and it often takes 20 seconds or longer for the backdrop to populate the first time I look at the details for a particular movie. Since I have 3 HTPCs this is a bit bothersome.

It goes to themoviedb.org to get backdrops. I don't have a horrendous number of movies (about 250) so I've gone there to pick up some backdrops that for some reason were not picked up automatically.
Unfortunately there are a lot of movies where that site does not have backdrops so I guess I'd have to construct my own for those which are missing.

/politby
post #102 of 4110 Old 01-01-2009, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. It sure would be great if media browser would store the stuff that is pulled down locally in the movie folders instead of as real cryptic names in programdata/mediabrowser\\cache\\images.

I got my other issue resolved. I had to clear the cache from within the plug-in as opposed to just manually deleting all the images in the cache/images folder.
post #103 of 4110 Old 01-01-2009, 08:47 PM

I am trying out video browser and it is fast. I have multiple hard drives on my htpc and I created shortcuts to each drive for video browser. Is there any way that i can start video browser and have all my drives available at the same time?
post #104 of 4110 Old 01-02-2009, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plympton View Post

All my videos are ripped DVD's into .AVI files. They're mostly single files, in a single directory. Is there a way to use this WITHOUT putting each and every single file into a directory? That's seems quite the PITA to me that has kept me from using this. What with .mkv's specifically being a container for multiple files, I'd think this is the future.

Unless I'm missing something...?

(actually, I'd like to organize by genre folders, but that's another story...)

-Dan

Depending on how your files are named, a command line 'for loop' can do all the sorting work. Media Browser allows sort by genre, assuming your metadata is accurate, if you select that as your sorting option from the menu choices at the top.
post #105 of 4110 Old 01-02-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigghek View Post

I am trying out video browser and it is fast. I have multiple hard drives on my htpc and I created shortcuts to each drive for video browser. Is there any way that i can start video browser and have all my drives available at the same time?

I'm not clear on what you want here, but you can always make a link bucket, a shortcut that points to a folder full of other shortcuts. So if you had movies spread across several drives, you would pointing Media Browser to look at your link bucket, My Videos\\Movies perhaps, and in 'Movies' put shortcuts for your movie folders. Google will give you many example of how to use VBS to accomplish this without having to manually create the shortcuts.
post #106 of 4110 Old 01-02-2009, 07:17 AM
<><
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryaneverett View Post

I'm not clear on what you want here, but you can always make a link bucket, a shortcut that points to a folder full of other shortcuts. So if you had movies spread across several drives, you would pointing Media Browser to look at your link bucket, My Videos\\Movies perhaps, and in 'Movies' put shortcuts for your movie folders. Google will give you many example of how to use VBS to accomplish this without having to manually create the shortcuts.

Eh?
Media Browser supports virtual folders, basically you put .vf files in the initial folder for all your content...
In this example i'm going to say you have 3 hard drives.
Your movies are located on disk1/movies and disk2/movies
Your tv shows are located on disk2/tv and disk3/tv

You would have 2 .vf files in your initial folder
Movies.vf would contain:
Code:
image: disk1\\movieimage.jpg
folder: disk1\\movies
folder: disk2\\movies
TV.vf would contain:
Code:
image: disk1\   vimage.jpg
folder: disk2\  v
folder: disk3\  v
Now, when you launch media browser, it will let you select from two icons (Movies and TV), the same name as your .vf files...and will list all your movies/tv's from all hard drives
post #107 of 4110 Old 01-02-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubbs23 View Post

Are you using Vista x64? I am, and have not been able to get VCD to mount any images. When I click the movie title in VB, I get an error behind VMC from VCDMount saying "Can't mount 0,E:\\...\\movietitle.iso!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nownot View Post

same problem here running vista 32bit, suggestions anyone?

Anyone have this working properly?
post #108 of 4110 Old 01-02-2009, 09:16 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkedda View Post

Yes, i have a combination of ISO and folder structures. the beauty of mymovies is that it can play both! i hope this is added to media browser ASAP.

I have all folder structures and use TMT for blu/hd and the built-in VMC player for SD. MyMovies calls the correct player for each movie type automatically. Is it correct that I can't make mediaBrowser do this? Or, if that's wrong, how? I'd like to check this thing out but if it won't use the proper player based on the movie type, I'm screwed.
post #109 of 4110 Old 01-03-2009, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I'm having trouble manually controlling the banners and backdrops.

Taking a look at Battlestar Galactica for example, here's what the parent folder looks like:

And the folder for each season looks similar to this:

The only jpgs that are picked up by the plug-in are the folder.jpg ones. The banner and backdrop images are being pulled in from the Internet. The problem with this is that what is being pulled is sometimes not in the language that I want.

I realize that the reason for this is that the banner on thetvdb.com website is wrong. The banners there are Spanish for all the Battlestar episodes in the English section.

Browsing the banners and backdrops, I captured the ones I want to use, but the media browser plug-in seems to ignore them. Is there a way to manually control the banners and backdrops for both the "front page" for each series as well as within each series?

Also, looking at your directory, you have "backdrop.jpg" spelled wrong. That may fix that particular one.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #110 of 4110 Old 01-03-2009, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr View Post

I have all folder structures and use TMT for blu/hd and the built-in VMC player for SD. MyMovies calls the correct player for each movie type automatically. Is it correct that I can't make mediaBrowser do this? Or, if that's wrong, how? I'd like to check this thing out but if it won't use the proper player based on the movie type, I'm screwed.

I am wondering the samething?

Also I use MyMovies now and really have no problems with it, but I like the way that Media browser handles TV Series, My Movies doesn't do that. So can Media Browser and My Movies be installed and ran at the same time with no problems. Then if I decide that Media Browser is for me I can uninstall My Movies????
post #111 of 4110 Old 01-03-2009, 09:23 AM

Hey all,

Thanks for the great info in this thread! I was able to get Media Browser up and running on my HTPC. I use my Xbox360 as an extender and have had success using Transcode360. Do you know if there is a way to tell (i.e. select) Media Browser to transcode movies?

Thanks,

-D
post #112 of 4110 Old 01-03-2009, 09:27 AM

Whoops, I might have found an answer to my own question:

http://www.mediabrowser.tv/viewtopic...nscode360#p597

Will try this and report back
post #113 of 4110 Old 01-03-2009, 11:50 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post

I am wondering the samething?

Also I use MyMovies now and really have no problems with it, but I like the way that Media browser handles TV Series, My Movies doesn't do that. So can Media Browser and My Movies be installed and ran at the same time with no problems. Then if I decide that Media Browser is for me I can uninstall My Movies????

I've got both of them going right now just so I can test MB out. They don't seem to conflict with one another but I don't want two different interfaces for my movies. I don't even want to have to know if its BD, SD HD or what. That's currently how MyMovies works but MB has more capabilities, looks better and is faster so I'd like to use it.

But, alas, there doesn't seem to be any way to get it to recognize and play BD file structures and the developers seem pretty quiet on this issue. I've been trying to register for their forum so I can ask directly but I can't get it to work. I got the username setup but the confirmation email never gets to me so I can't log on.
post #114 of 4110 Old 01-03-2009, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr View Post

I've got both of them going right now just so I can test MB out. They don't seem to conflict with one another but I don't want two different interfaces for my movies. I don't even want to have to know if its BD, SD HD or what. That's currently how MyMovies works but MB has more capabilities, looks better and is faster so I'd like to use it.

But, alas, there doesn't seem to be any way to get it to recognize and play BD file structures and the developers seem pretty quiet on this issue. I've been trying to register for their forum so I can ask directly but I can't get it to work. I got the username setup but the confirmation email never gets to me so I can't log on.

All of my BD are file structure, so no sence in me tring
post #115 of 4110 Old 01-03-2009, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

Also, looking at your directory, you have "backdrop.jpg" spelled wrong. That may fix that particular one.

Thanks, yeah I caught that after a while...

The only thing now that I miss from MyMovies is being able to specify a sort title. For example, I'd like all my James Bond flics to be in order by release year.

The only thing this plug in does as far as sort intelligence is to ignore "The" from titles that start that way from what I can tell.

Is there a way to specify sort order some way? Perhaps by renaming the movie folders or something?
post #116 of 4110 Old 01-03-2009, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, yeah I caught that after a while...

The only thing now that I miss from MyMovies is being able to specify a sort title. For example, I'd like all my James Bond flics to be in order by release year.

The only thing this plug in does as far as sort intelligence is to ignore "The" from titles that start that way from what I can tell.

Is there a way to specify sort order some way? Perhaps by renaming the movie folders or something?

This is my one complaint as well. I hate that my series movies are all out of order. It's ok for something live Star Wars, if you label everything EPI and EPII, etc, but doesn't work so well for Indy, Potter or Bond movies.
post #117 of 4110 Old 01-03-2009, 07:51 PM
ebr
AVS Special Member

If anyone here has contact info for any of the moderators over at the MB forum, could you please PM it to me? I'd like to get registered over there but it won't send the registration email (I've had it re-send four times and checked all spam traps). The system says to contact the board administrators if you have problems registering but then gives no contact info and you can't see profiles until you are logged in... .
post #118 of 4110 Old 01-06-2009, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I have been trying to decide if I should try this for my TV series or not, won't work for my BluRay.

I was reading up a little bit on TV Scuout and everything talks about naming your series with .AVI or .MKV formats.

Mine are saved as "Tv Series\\Series Name\\Season\\001 - Episode Name\\Video_TS" file structure

The Video_TS folder then has the .VOB files in it, does this work in any way with TV Scout, can you point it at a folder with the correct naming instead of a file?
post #119 of 4110 Old 01-06-2009, 03:31 PM

On the hard drive you would make a folder for the series name, then rip each episode in to that folder naming them as you go. Then once all the episodes of that series are done you run TVscout. Tell TVscout where the folder is and then click fecth data, it will collect the metadata and will make a new folder such as Season 1 01. Then if you want change the name of the folder to say Season 1, then rinse and repeat for every season.
post #120 of 4110 Old 01-07-2009, 05:39 PM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubbs23 View Post

Anyone have [VCD] working properly?

Anyone?

I ripped a couple of my BDs as .isos to see if that would allow me to use MB but, no go so far. I saw someone posted in the MB forum (which I still cannot access because their registration doesn't appear to work for me) that it works for them but I get the same error that NowNot reported - popup that says VCD can't mount.

If I doubleclick the .iso file from explorer, TMT launches and it plays fine (doesn't even appear to mount anything). Why won't it work from MB?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page