Media Browser: Great alternative to DVD Library/My Movies/Movie Collector - Page 83 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr View Post

What is the format of your movies? Are they all in their own folders?

Do you get that message when you try to play something or right when MB starts up or when?

Everything is in a separate folder with the exception of two concert DVDs by the same band. They are in separate folders IN the main folder named for the band.

I get this error when I try to click on something and play it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post

It's possible your windows account doesn't have the permission it needs for the programdata folder. Did you setup your user account as administrator or user? Go to Windows Explorer, right click on programdata and select properties. Select Security tab and then advanced. Select Effective Permissions tab and then the 'select' button under Group or user name. Type in your user name and hit ok. What is the effective permissions listed? It should be full control.

My account is listed in the administrator's group. I just checked it's permissions and reset it to "full control" for my account just in case.

Regards,
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2009, 07:53 PM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E. Fox, II View Post

Everything is in a separate folder with the exception of two concert DVDs by the same band. They are in separate folders IN the main folder named for the band.

I get this error when I try to click on something and play it back.

What kind of files? avi, mkv, video_ts rips...?
Old 11-01-2009, 08:52 PM

@Paul E. Fox, II
First answer ebr so its easier to find the root of the problem.

A few steps you can try to help trouble shoot. If one doesn't work go to the next, and post back what each one does.

1: You can create a Test folder, Drop like 6 movies in it. Show it to the config tool. Try to play a movie

2: Kill MB, Go to C:ProgramData\\MediaBrowser\\Cache + ImageCache and Delete everything inside. Run MB, try to play a movie

3: Open the config tool and remove the Rips VF , Go to C:ProgramData\\MediaBrowser\\Cache + ImageCache and Delete everything inside. Run MB, let it sit for 5 min, Kill it. Add you Rips folder back to the config tool. Open MB and retry playing a movie.

I also saw that you said your fonts were messed up. Do you have the Windows (DPI) turned up? I have seen others say that having it turned up was screwing up MB fonts. It shouldn't be doing that, if that is in fact the case.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What kind of files? avi, mkv, video_ts rips...?

Only really using .iso rips thus far. I have two movies ripped as MKVs but since TMT3 doesn't want to deal with them, I've gone back to ripping ISOs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonseed64 View Post

@Paul E. Fox, II
First answer ebr so its easier to find the root of the problem.

A few steps you can try to help trouble shoot. If one doesn't work go to the next, and post back what each one does.

1: You can create a Test folder, Drop like 6 movies in it. Show it to the config tool. Try to play a movie

2: Kill MB, Go to C:ProgramData\\MediaBrowser\\Cache + ImageCache and Delete everything inside. Run MB, try to play a movie

3: Open the config tool and remove the Rips VF , Go to C:ProgramData\\MediaBrowser\\Cache + ImageCache and Delete everything inside. Run MB, let it sit for 5 min, Kill it. Add you Rips folder back to the config tool. Open MB and retry playing a movie.

I also saw that you said your fonts were messed up. Do you have the Windows (DPI) turned up? I have seen others say that having it turned up was screwing up MB fonts. It shouldn't be doing that, if that is in fact the case.

I do think I have the DPI set to larger or whatever that actually says. I'll check when I get home.

Thanks for the help guys...really REALLY appreciate it.

Regards,
Paul
Old 11-02-2009, 07:07 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E. Fox, II View Post

Only really using .iso rips thus far. I have two movies ripped as MKVs but since TMT3 doesn't want to deal with them, I've gone back to ripping ISOs.

Aha. Do you have the external player setup properly in the Configurator?

Can I see a screen shot of that setup?

Also, what do you use to mount the .ISO or will TMT3 take care of that? Sorry, I don't use ISOs at all...
Old 11-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Whenever I start WMC, media browser shows all my movie selection with posters and backdrops. However, when I go to the main screen and then to video or movie library they are nowhere to be found. While I know how to direct all my movie files to show up in the video library section I can’t seem to get media browser recognized in there to show the same images and backdrops I'm getting upon startup. Does anyone have a tip? Thanks.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:08 PM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximori View Post

Whenever I start WMC, media browser shows all my movie selection with posters and backdrops. However, when I go to the main screen and then to video or movie library they are nowhere to be found. While I know how to direct all my movie files to show up in the video library section I can't seem to get media browser recognized in there to show the same images and backdrops I'm getting upon startup. Does anyone have a tip? Thanks.

The Video and Movie Library within MC are completely separate from MediaBrowser. Basically, MediaBrowser is a replacement for both of them (as well as other stuff). If you want to use the built-in Movie Library, you will need to run the routines to populate its own information (through the media center menus) but I recommend just using MB instead...
Old 11-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The Video and Movie Library within MC are completely separate from MediaBrowser. Basically, MediaBrowser is a replacement for both of them (as well as other stuff). If you want to use the built-in Movie Library, you will need to run the routines to populate its own information (through the media center menus) but I recommend just using MB instead...

Well, that's a bummer. I tried media portal one time which worked within the video library, but presentation-wise wasn't as nice as media browser's (imo). I thought there was some way to, at least, go back to the media browser without having to keep re-starting 7MC.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:50 PM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximori View Post

I thought there was some way to, at least, go back to the media browser without having to keep re-starting 7MC.

There is. When you install MB it should end up with its own icon on the start menu...
Old 11-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There is. When you install MB it should end up with its own icon on the start menu...

Thanks, I missed this somewhere.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:06 PM

Has anyone here tried to copy Transformers 2 Revenge of the fallen to computer? I have tried with two discs.. .1 purchased from the store and another rented from NetFlix and both do not allow me to copy like I've done with many other discs. when I open the movie with DVDFAB I only show a file with 356K and 4:3 format. I normally see a file with 16:9 format and hours worth of video. Is there something special about this movie that's not allowing me to copy?
Old 11-04-2009, 06:29 PM
ebr
AVS Special Member

I don't have that disc but I was not under the impression that DVDFab could strip BD+ copy-protection...

[edit] oops, I guess I assumed you were talking about a BluRay.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:36 PM

Not BR just the regular DVD
Old 11-04-2009, 07:44 PM

I think I may have found my answer in another thread here.

"regarding DVDFab HD, just my guess but that may be worst case scenario. transformers2 (and their new protection scheme) was released on the 22nd and a new build was up by the 27th to deal with it. so, even though updates may be slower than the paid version, you'd probably be good to go if you just waited a week before buying and ripping the dvd."
Old 11-04-2009, 08:44 PM

Got one last issue I am dealing with. I am using the latest 2.1.3 version of Media Browser with Windows 7 Ultimate. I have two folders mapped - one with 300 movies and one with 394 movies. All my movies are on a network SMB share over gigabit nic. My HTPCs are running on a fast Solid state disks so the cache should be plenty fast. I am using the diamond theme with 3 rows of poster covers.

About 1 out of every 3 times I start up my HTPC and navigate to one of my folders when I get to the screen that shows all my movies the screen just freezes. It just dims and sits there showing my movie covers but not allowing me to do anything with my remote. I can hit the back button and and come back into the folder and it works fine. I have tried deleting my cache a few times but that didn't help. I even uninstalled the whole thing and and deleted the cache. I tried disabling every extra option in the configuration. Turned off the clock, viewing tracking, weather. I unchecked every check box in the configuration and still it persists. Anyone know what to do? I really like the Diamond theme with the 3 rows over covers.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:01 AM

I've not had any luck with the themes. I'd have text overruns and other issues, so I just stick to the default theme.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Aha. Do you have the external player setup properly in the Configurator?

Can I see a screen shot of that setup?

Also, what do you use to mount the .ISO or will TMT3 take care of that? Sorry, I don't use ISOs at all...

Thanks for the suggestion...I've been busy and haven't had time to get back in here until this morning.

I thought I did...I have chosen TMT3 as the program to use for these and have browsed to the path of the VCD app.

When I get home, I'll try to post a screen shot.

Regards,
Paul
Old 11-05-2009, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman7 View Post

Got one last issue I am dealing with. I am using the latest 2.1.3 version of Media Browser with Windows 7 Ultimate. I have two folders mapped - one with 300 movies and one with 394 movies. All my movies are on a network SMB share over gigabit nic. My HTPCs are running on a fast Solid state disks so the cache should be plenty fast. I am using the diamond theme with 3 rows of poster covers.

About 1 out of every 3 times I start up my HTPC and navigate to one of my folders when I get to the screen that shows all my movies the screen just freezes. It just dims and sits there showing my movie covers but not allowing me to do anything with my remote. I can hit the back button and and come back into the folder and it works fine. I have tried deleting my cache a few times but that didn't help. I even uninstalled the whole thing and and deleted the cache. I tried disabling every extra option in the configuration. Turned off the clock, viewing tracking, weather. I unchecked every check box in the configuration and still it persists. Anyone know what to do? I really like the Diamond theme with the 3 rows over covers.

I had a similar issue and I believe it's related to Mediainfo. Do you have it installed? Basically the first time you go to the folder it takes a while because media info needs to get all the properties of the files. I think if you leave it there for a while it should eventually come into focus and not do it again once it's cached locally.

Otherwise try uninstalling mediainfo.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:43 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman7 View Post

This is a focus issue that we haven't nailed down yet. If you have a mouse attached, simply move it over the covers and they will light up.

I don't think it is related to MediaInfo, but, since we don't know exactly what it is, I suppose it could be. Somehow, the current selected index is ending up at zero (look at the counter on the page, it will say 0 | nn).
Old 11-05-2009, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

This is a focus issue that we haven't nailed down yet. If you have a mouse attached, simply move it over the covers and they will light up.

I don't think it is related to MediaInfo, but, since we don't know exactly what it is, I suppose it could be. Somehow, the current selected index is ending up at zero (look at the counter on the page, it will say 0 | nn).

I have a similar issue...I use the dinovo mini and just dpad over to the right and the covers show (mousing works too). It never actually freezes. It's not a huge issue, just a bit of an annoyance.

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
Old 11-05-2009, 01:01 PM

It's not me going crazy then. I wondered why it was doing that.

Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne
Old 11-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Is there any way to sort by series for Recorded TV. I'm using MB 2.1.3 with the Diamond Theme and using the DVR-MS plugin on Vista and Win 7.

It would be nice to have all the "60 minutes" and "Jay Leno Show" under one heading like it is the the native recorded TV in media center.

I tried sorting by Genre but the view freaks out under Recorded TV. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this?

Half-knowledgeable but fully dangerous.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillz564 View Post

Is there any way to sort by series for Recorded TV. I'm using MB 2.1.3 with the Diamond Theme and using the DVR-MS plugin on Vista and Win 7.

It would be nice to have all the "60 minutes" and "Jay Leno Show" under one heading like it is the the native recorded TV in media center.

I tried sorting by Genre but the view freaks out under Recorded TV. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this?

i guess you linked you recorded tv folder that windows uses?

you could get a batch file to move the recorded tv files to a different folder that MB looks at. and keep each show in its own folder.

like this:
LL

"If the world didn't suck, we'd all fly off."
Old 11-10-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 View Post

i guess you linked you recorded tv folder that windows uses?

you could get a batch file to move the recorded tv files to a different folder that MB looks at. and keep each show in its own folder.

like this:

How'd you get mediabrowser to look like that?

That looks very nice.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post

How'd you get mediabrowser to look like that?

That looks very nice.

diamond theme, cover flow, stark covers...

"If the world didn't suck, we'd all fly off."
Old 11-10-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 View Post

diamond theme, cover flow, stark covers...

How'd you get the covers to spread out like that? Mine are like literally stuck to one another. Can't find the option to change that.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post

How'd you get the covers to spread out like that? Mine are like literally stuck to one another. Can't find the option to change that.

In the configuration under the "General" option there are options under "Views" called Poster Grid Spacing. I assume this should allow to adjust the spacing between covers.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Old 11-11-2009, 04:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Meant to post this here earlier, here is the writeup I did on the latest Media Browser release:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009...1-3-0-phoenix/

Cheers,
Damian

Old 11-11-2009, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallhometheater View Post

Has anyone here tried to copy Transformers 2 Revenge of the fallen to computer? I have tried with two discs.. .1 purchased from the store and another rented from NetFlix and both do not allow me to copy like I've done with many other discs. when I open the movie with DVDFAB I only show a file with 356K and 4:3 format. I normally see a file with 16:9 format and hours worth of video. Is there something special about this movie that's not allowing me to copy?

It's a tough one for sure. I haven't found a Windows program that could crack it. K9copy (Free linux program) got it.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

It's a tough one for sure. I haven't found a Windows program that could crack it. K9copy (Free linux program) got it.

Has anyone tried with AnyDVD? I had no problems using AnyDVD with the Blu Ray disc.

Cheers,
Damian