powerdvd green screen with bluray and hdvd... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-10-2008, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter
AP2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i just put together a new system and having some issues with HD media playback. im using the powerdvd that came bundled with my LG drive (version: 7.03.3723). when playing br and hddvd from the harddrive i get a green screen, but the audio plays. so i updated the version to 7.03.4603 and now i get a pop up "a disc with an unsupported format in drive X:" what can i do to fix this?

system:
intel dg45fc
intel 8400
corsair 4gb ddr2
anydvd
powerdvd 4603
vista home premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-11-2008, 02:48 PM

I also have a major green screen problem when trying to playback any H.264 (Blu-ray in my case) with PowerDVD8 Ultra on an Intel DG45ID motherboard. DVD playback is fine. Only HD stuff is broken on my system.

This also only happens if I install an Intel BIOS later than 0081 (where Intel fixed their broken HA) and this is driving me nuts. Cyberlink released a new patch for Intel G45 GPU's yesterday and I thought - Cool, this will fix my problem - but still no go. I still get total green screen after installing latest Intel BIOS and GPU Drivers and the latest PDVD8 patch.

My H.264 TV decoding is also broken because it also uses the PDVD8 H.264 codec. I can get the HD TV picture back if I disable DxVA but that kills HA. I can't turn off HA in PDVD8 so Blu-ray is no go here.

If I flash back to BIOS 0079 then all my h.264 is fine (but no HA in PowerDVD8).

Anyone know of a quick fix or at least point us in the right direction.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-16-2008, 06:47 PM

Sadly I have nothing good to say here. I am seeing the same problem. I have been running my DG45ID since they came out with minimal problems. DVD plays fine and so do most blu ray.

Until now.

I recently purchased I Am Legend, and a few more that only show a green screen while playing. Since I am still fairly new to this all, I simply set PowerDVD 8 to show me the information about the playing disc and found that I can play MPEG2 and MPEG4 AVC without any problems. But when I have a bluray disc with VC1 on it, it will not play. Even the discs with mixed media (both mpeg2 and vc1) will play MPEG2 and MPEG4 but not that part encoded in VC1.

The only thing I can recommend to try is disabling DEP in Vista. It helped me out originally, look it up on this site for some more information. If I find out anything more in my quest for an answer, I'll gladly post back. Good luck!

P.S. I have the lastest patches and upgrades of everything.
post #4 of 4 Old 12-18-2008, 01:22 PM

Yes, this is a strange problem. In my case both VC1 and MPEG4 AVC give me a green screen.

Intel changed something in BIOS 0083 that set this problem off and I believe it was their fix for no HA with Blu-ray. When I first built my HTPC, the PAVP setting was available in the BIOS and if not set to 'Lite', I would get this same green screen problem. The PAVP setting has now been removed and it's supposed to default to 'Lite' on the later BIOS updates but I am not convinced.

I spent another full day with my system, flashed to 0087, latest drivers and with help from Cyberlink who sent me a nice new PDVD8 install file, I did a full un-install, registry clean out and reinstall of PowerDVD 8 Ultra with no change to the green screen.

I'm back on BIO version 0081 and Blu-ray and other H.264 video is fine but without HA. I will find the problem - one day :-)

One weird thing about this is that I get perfect DxVA MPEG4 acceleration (while using Bios 0081 or earlier) using the same PDVD8 codec in my HD TV application (DVBViewer). It somehow does all the right things with H.264 and Vista EVR to handle MPEG4 fully and CPU use is only 1.5 to 2%. If I flash to Bios 83,85 or 87, this also breaks with green screen.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page