how to let my AVR do the decoding job? - AVS Forum
Home Theater Computers > how to let my AVR do the decoding job?
samlee860407's Avatar samlee860407 09:33 PM 12-16-2008
guys, i am using ATI4870 as my graphic card in my PC, and i got a Creative XtremeGamer Fatal1ty as my soundcard

I just start up a Home Theater system, and if I would want to play movies in my TV, how should i set up my HTPC to my Home Theater system so that my AVR will do the audio decoding job, instead of my PC graphic card/sound card to do the job?

my AVR is the onkyo 805, so should i just take out the soundcard from my PC, and direct connect my ati4870 to the AVR using the HDMI cable

or

i connect my HDMI direct from my ATI4870 to the display , and connect my sound via toslink/coaxical digital cable to my AVR from my soundcard?

which should be the correct way to let my AVR do the decoding job, and not my soundcard or graphic card do it?

renethx's Avatar renethx 10:34 PM 12-16-2008
You don't need the sound card. Connect HD 4870 to the receiver via HDMI. It depends on the audio format where decoding should (or can) be done.

- Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio: Decode has to be done by the software player. HD 4870 can't send undecoded TrueHD/DTS-HD MA bitstreams.
- Dolby Digtal, DTS: Does not matter. You can send decoded multichannel LPCM or DD/DTS bitstreams. Check this post for the player settings.
samlee860407's Avatar samlee860407 10:50 PM 12-16-2008
ahh....but my movie are all MKV files in my Harddisk, and normally i use a free player like Windows Media Classic (using k lite codec pack)

so will it do the job?
renethx's Avatar renethx 01:35 AM 12-17-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by samlee860407 View Post

ahh....but my movie are all MKV files in my Harddisk, and normally i use a free player like Windows Media Classic (using k lite codec pack)

so will it do the job?

Then perhaps you will use DD/DTS in most cases (?) unless you create files yourself and specify audio formats. You can either decode DD/DTS by the audio decoder or choose pass-through and leave decoding to the receiver. What you need is setup the audio decoder correctly (check the documentation of your audio decoder; ffdshow audio decoder is here).
samlee860407's Avatar samlee860407 04:46 AM 12-17-2008
hm...i see

will try to set it up tomorrow and see
thanks for the advice
mjfink's Avatar mjfink 05:31 AM 12-17-2008
Just to elaborate on what Renethx said above, the determination as to "who" decodes the content is NOT made in the AVR, it's made at the source device. So, don't look at the AVR, look at the computer to tell it to stream DD/DTS/etc to the AVR.

Just wanted to make sure that was clear, I was confused about that in the beginning as well!

I have a 4850 with a Pioneer AVR decoding all the formats, it works great. I use ffdshow, and just have all the formats that my AVR can handle (which is all of them) set to pass through. If it's not passed through, the computer will decode it and the AVR will see it as PCM (for example, MP3 format files).
samlee860407's Avatar samlee860407 10:01 AM 12-19-2008
sigh...my HT setup is up, but i cant get my ati4870 to sent audio through HDMI cable to my Onkyo 805

as my ati 4870 does not have an HDMI output, i have to use the DVI to HDMI dongle for it, then connect it to my AVR, got video, but no audio

i am using a coaxial cable from my AVR to my motherboard (DFI lanparty JR) in order to have audio

PS: try many solutions but all failed me, i am using catalyst 8.12, and had downloaded the realtek audio driver from realtek website.

anyone got some solutions for this?
Tragik's Avatar Tragik 02:34 PM 12-19-2008
You will not get audio while using the DVI to HDMI adapter. DVI is video only, no audio. If you do not have a native HDMI port on your video card your out of luck.
carrera1's Avatar carrera1 02:54 PM 12-19-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragik View Post

You will not get audio while using the DVI to HDMI adapter. DVI is video only, no audio. If you do not have a native HDMI port on your video card your out of luck.

Sorry, but you are mistaken. The ATI 4xxx boards ship with a special DVI/HDMI adapter (the ASUS board has a native HDMI port so no dongle). It has extra pins in it to pass the audio through to the HDMI. It works great. This is how my 4850 is set up. This is well documented in the various ATI threads.
samlee860407's Avatar samlee860407 04:44 PM 12-19-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera1 View Post

Sorry, but you are mistaken. The ATI 4xxx boards ship with a special DVI/HDMI adapter (the ASUS board has a native HDMI port so no dongle). It has extra pins in it to pass the audio through to the HDMI. It works great. This is how my 4850 is set up. This is well documented in the various ATI threads.

yes, but seems many people fail to set their system up for it to pass audio, or have pain in order to do so
samlee860407's Avatar samlee860407 12:38 AM 12-20-2008
yeap, but i still fail to get audio through HDMI

btw, would like to ask, will the audio output from HDMI through the ati4870 better than what i am using now (using coaxial cable to connect my PC and AVR) ?
samlee860407's Avatar samlee860407 01:03 AM 12-20-2008
wooot...finally, i get to use HDMI to output sound!!

solution :

1)download realtek driver
2)disable motherboard onboard sound

Up
Mobile  Desktop