Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 249 Old 03-27-2012, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Read the item I quoted and you will understand my response to the item I quoted.

Except, as I tried to point out, your information is erroneous. FlexRaid has been made by both a commercial company and licensed software for quite some time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 249 Old 03-27-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Anyone played with the Windows 8 Storage spaces yet?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #243 of 249 Old 03-27-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Anyone played with the Windows 8 Storage spaces yet?

No but there is a lot of information out there about it. It is Windows software raid and as such extracts a large penalty in write performance. I have seen data indicating a 75% reduction in write speeds.

However read speed is improved as you would expect.
post #244 of 249 Old 03-28-2012, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

From your end getting paid for your work is a good thing and most people should respect that decision.

Thanks.
But, believe it or not, I am very less concerned with "getting paid" than furthering the project. Although, I will gladly take "getting paid" when I reach that point.

My turn of events is that we often short-change ourselves with all this "freeness".
I am fearing that I am not pushing the project to its true potential from lack of proper funding.
I have been stuck at "if I cannot write a feature myself or I cannot download a free piece of code to get that functionality, then the project will have to lack that feature".

The only successful open source projects I know of are those funded by various companies who have a stake in them. I have participated in a few open source projects and know the inners all too well. All so-called open source alternatives to FlexRAID are still one-man efforts. Worst, I have noted that some of those projects are getting their source code downloaded more times than the release product itself.

Running a project like FlexRAID requires everything from coding, testing, system administration, hosting, web design, graphic design, etc.
Some of these things I am good at, others I am not.
I did many things for the project that I am not good at, which cost me in time and aggravation (specially the tedious stuff). I did them because I had no other option but to roll-up my sleeves rather than being complacent on where my time would be best spent.

Now however, I am getting complacent on where my time would be best spent, which is why I need to the funds to outsource things the project needs but that I should not spend my time on.

In the end, I think we will all win by having a much better product through a mix of what I can do and what I can pay others to do for the project.
post #245 of 249 Old 03-28-2012, 10:22 AM

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars99 View Post

Except, as I tried to point out, your information is erroneous. FlexRaid has been made by both a commercial company and licensed software for quite some time.

Except for when it was not. Your own statement "for some time" should have clued you in.
post #246 of 249 Old 03-28-2012, 10:23 AM

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Guebert View Post

No but there is a lot of information out there about it. It is Windows software raid and as such extracts a large penalty in write performance. I have seen data indicating a 75% reduction in write speeds.

However read speed is improved as you would expect.

WOW! That is a huge hit.
post #247 of 249 Old 03-28-2012, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Storage Spaces is a non-starter for me as it doesn't serve a basic need - the files must be stored in native format, so I can recover data no matter what. I've had too many failures with various flavors of Raid. Only unRaid, FlexRaid, SnapRaid and mirroring meet this requirement.
post #248 of 249 Old 05-09-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 649
what is the newest version on flexraid ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #249 of 249 Old 05-18-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Question

I purchased Flexraid full version and use 3 PCI-X Supermicro card for 24 SATA HDD. It seems to me Windows 7 power management can't get HDD to spin down after a certain period of inactivity. Someone said it is due to the SAS card.
I also tried sdparm without any success.

Under storage pool mode, would Flexraid consider adding a feature to spin down HDD if it is idle for x minutes?

Thanks.

HDPLEX
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page