Honestly, I think HTPC mouse control technology peaked with this: http://www.iogear.com/product/GME321R/
Why can't I find anything that's currently on the market with a thumb trackball and forefinger left-click?
I like the mouse pad built into the Dinovo edge. I also used to have an IR keyboard with a mini trackball built in, like the above poster posted. That worked well also. I had one of those gyration air mice. I wound up selling it. I couldn't stand it, but that's just my opinion.
Honestly though, I never have a need for a mouse anyway, but I don't surf the web on my htpc.
I know there are a lot of various options out there but I'm specifically looking for:
1. small and comfortable to hold (ie: not from the top like a mouse)
2. does not rely on wrist movement for control
3. does not rely on any sort of surface
4. has accurate control (so those bumper/joystick controls are out)
5. being able to click and drag without using two hands
I'm often half asleep on my couch and "channel surfing" sites like hulu.com, and I do it effortlessly with that old phaser mouse. I'd like to find something with another solid foot or two of range (I am right on edge with the phaser mouse) but I am not finding anything that is nearly as ergonomic and intuitive as this old thing.