post #31 of 271 Old 12-31-2008, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr007 View Post

iam worried now ,iam looking to get a big seagate.Should i get a wd instead?

I'm cleaning up my home office during the holidays. I just dropped a dead SATA WD into the e-waste box in the garage. I think the e-waste box also has a dead Maxtor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 271 Old 12-31-2008, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
All of your suggestions guys seem to involve $$$. Isn't anything I could do to prevent the catastrophic failure or cure it if/when it happens, preferably for free? I'd have a heart attack if any of those drives gave up the ghost suddenly. I never had this happens, there usually give some sort of warning. My drives have been working for a year know and have a very hard life, continuous restarts, sleeps/ shutdowns all day long for every day but they never complained. (knocks on wood)
post #33 of 271 Old 12-31-2008, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720p View Post

All of your suggestions guys seem to involve $$$. Isn't anything I could do to prevent the catastrophic failure or cure it if/when it happens, preferably for free? I'd have a heart attack if any of those drives gave up the ghost suddenly. I never had this happens, there usually give some sort of warning. My drives have been working for a year know and have a very hard life, continuous restarts, sleeps/ shutdowns all day long for every day but they never complained. (knocks on wood)

The only thing for "free" is making sure that they don't overheat. Even that might involve purchasing a fan. I mention this because I notice that a recently purchased 750GB 7200.10 got hot to the touch while sitting on a desk running a long Drive Self Test. I bought a 7200.10 because of the clearing-old-inventory price.

You could also get into checking the SMART data, but I think the more detailed data varies from mfg to mfg.

I'm a EE (electronics engineer) and I don't trust anything with moving parts. Even solid state drives can, and will, fail, but through different mechanisms.
post #34 of 271 Old 12-31-2008, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Newegg has always packaged my drives well. Never a problem. I swear with all bubble wrap around my drive I could play basketball with it and not damage the drive.

I have some old 160gb and 250gb and 500gb seagates that are all working flawlessly. I've had very good luck with Maxtor and my current 750gb samsung drives are running very cool.

It's the WD drives that I have problems with.

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
post #35 of 271 Old 12-31-2008, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 720p View Post

Just for the record I had a "retail boxed" Western Digital 400 GB Sata drive fail on me a couple of month ago... not happy about that...

Case was WELL ventilated, Drive was 1.3 years old
(Forgot the exact error message, Ran out of sectors)

Tried multiple programs to access /recover data on the drive- nothing worked except for OnTrack Easy Recovery Pro v6.10

Getting to your problem 720p,

You might want to ask/ or Google around for info on sites /companies that do on-line backups of data.

Most of these sites offer a "limited free" data back-up package plan (in addition to their "paid" options)

The above said- While I understand you not wanting to spend any money..

If you have any amount of data at all, the best option is to buy a external hard drive enclosure, adding the hard drive of your choice, making backups of your data- AND storing those backups OFF-SITE.

(One reason for buying drive separate- is most "pre-built units" only carry a (1) year warranty- and buying drive separate gives you (5) or (3) years...)

Which external housing to buy?

Well you can buy from a company that only "sells" the enclosure... OR you can buy from a company that sells BOTH pre-built enclosures with hard drive already installed, and a "enclosure kit". (Sans hard drive.)

I, like allot of others are fans of the APRICORN DT* Series of hard drive enclosures...
(Apricorn sells both the "kit" and pre-builts giving them real-world experience)

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showpos...8&postcount=77

As a side note Apricorn was the ONLY vendor to respond back to a simple PRE-SALES question (Question being what chipset xyz unit was using) when I was considering several different manufacturers-
Additionally Apricorn was FAST to respond to after the sale tech concerns.

Before buying a external enclosure (if you value your DATA)

Read this thread:... all kinds of info on the various enclosures /chipsets being used.

When looking for a enclosure... main thing is the chipset , keeping the hd cool... NOT "flashing blue lights... or "racing stripes". Be wary of enclosures that ISOLATE the drive from the outer casing, that provide no airflow, or heat sinks to carry away the heat.

The official external ENCLOSURE thread

http://www.**************/forums/computers/496281

PS: Pay attention to what user by the name of SickTeddyBear says...

post #36 of 271 Old 12-31-2008, 08:52 PM

I have always had GREAT luck with Seagate. Its Maxtor that I had huge problems with.

It is disconcerting that Seagate seems to have dropped the ball, sigh. I hope they have not been "Maxtor'd".

Question: is there a way to know what the firmware version is without opening up the case and removing the drive to look?
post #37 of 271 Old 01-01-2009, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If the data is important to you, buy an external drive and make a backup copy of your files.

Yeah... that's a good strategy for the 12 1tb drives in my server...

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #38 of 271 Old 01-01-2009, 12:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My Seagate FreeAgent XTreme external 1.5TB via eSATA works very nicely since I got it. It can handle the beating it gets from all 6 HD tuners record 24/7 to it.

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #39 of 271 Old 01-01-2009, 07:21 AM

Considering the huge amount of drives out there, and that in general only people with problems write in forums, it is hard to determine if there is a real problem ...

That being said, my Seagate 7200.11 500GB just crashed 6 months after purchase. BIOS would not recognize it anymore, but disk was spinning normally with no special "bad" sounds. I am a bit embarrased to admit it, but it had some data which I had not backed up, that I needed to recover.

Seagate recovery service seemed to be pretty aware of the problem based on my description, assuring me that data could be recovered (Service Area problems they indicated). It did cost me EUR 1200, but every single file was recovered. Extremely good recovery service by the way, but I would have preferred disk to just not fail that quickly ...

Whether I was just unlucky, is impossible to say. The replacement I got is laying on the shelf, I am back at using WD ... which I just seem to have had less problems with over the years. Others will probably say they have had lots of problems with WD ...

As always: Backup, backup, backup...
post #40 of 271 Old 01-01-2009, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolibri View Post

Considering the huge amount of drives out there, and that in general only people with problems write in forums, it is hard to determine if there is a real problem ...

That being said, my Seagate 7200.11 500GB just crashed 6 months after purchase. BIOS would not recognize it anymore, but disk was spinning normally with no special "bad" sounds. I am a bit embarrased to admit it, but it had some data which I had not backed up, that I needed to recover.

As always: Backup, backup, backup...

Backup, backup, backup - yes.

In addition, a fault tolerant RAID configuration should have prevented your data loss. HDDs are inexpensive nowadays: a second HDD and RAID 1 would have saved you the expense and trouble of having data recovered. The MB RAID solutions ("free" in some chipsets) AND an educated user are "good enough" for fault-tolerance in small arrays.
post #41 of 271 Old 01-01-2009, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
WeAreNotAlone69, thanks for the info.
Considering I've had my two 1tb babies for a year now is it safe to say that they do not carry the disease? It's 2tb of data I'm not willing to lose but then again I'm not buying 2x1tb drives again.
Are all these doomed to fail or are there some which will go on for ever, if so fingers crossed.
The irony is that I bought a 1tb Samsung Spinpoint F1 just when they came out, I think it was just before the 7200.11 and it was DOA. I replaced it with two 1tb 7200.11s and swore never to buy Samsung again.
post #42 of 271 Old 01-01-2009, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

Yeah... that's a good strategy for the 12 1tb drives in my server...

:chuckles:
It's every bit as plausable as an online backup for the same data! Bad enough to rip a br, but then to upload it to a server for safe keeping! Lmao...
post #43 of 271 Old 01-01-2009, 11:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by nintari View Post

...To make things easier they ordered me a bunch of 80GB 7200.11 drives (I think about 150 total)...

Uh... Are you sure? Per Seagate they don't make an 80GB 7200.11.
post #44 of 271 Old 01-01-2009, 11:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdaigle View Post

I have always had GREAT luck with Seagate. Its Maxtor that I had huge problems with.

It is disconcerting that Seagate seems to have dropped the ball, sigh. I hope they have not been "Maxtor'd".

Good thing Seagate bought Maxtor then.
Quote:
Question: is there a way to know what the firmware version is without opening up the case and removing the drive to look?

Yes, it's on the sticker on top of the drive.
post #45 of 271 Old 01-01-2009, 11:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolibri View Post

Seagate recovery service seemed to be pretty aware of the problem based on my description, assuring me that data could be recovered (Service Area problems they indicated). It did cost me EUR 1200, but every single file was recovered. Extremely good recovery service by the way, but I would have preferred disk to just not fail that quickly ...

That sounds like an incestuous circle.

1) Makes drives of questionable quality
2) Wait
3) Sell recovery services for drive
4) Profit
post #46 of 271 Old 01-02-2009, 10:02 AM

I had a Fantom Titanium 500 GB external that died and when I pulled the drive out I found a Seagate NS series. 2 months past the 1 yr warranty and I get the click of death. Great.
post #47 of 271 Old 01-02-2009, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manshack_one View Post

I had a Fantom Titanium 500 GB external that died and when I pulled the drive out I found a Seagate NS series. 2 months past the 1 yr warranty and I get the click of death. Great.

Did you buy it with a credit card? If so you likely have an extra 1 year warranty through them.
post #48 of 271 Old 01-02-2009, 11:38 AM

Good Call. I looked back and I in fact did use a Visa to buy it with. I'm checking with the bank to see if the Visa Debit card carries the same benefit as a real Visa Credit card.
post #49 of 271 Old 01-02-2009, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I got two of the 320gig. Still running perfectly.
post #50 of 271 Old 01-02-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post

I got two of the 320gig. Still running perfectly.

Count your blessings.

Bank just emailed me back and said our debit cards don't have warranty benefits like a real visa credit card does. I can still use the enclosure though I suppose and buy a WD drive to put in it.
post #51 of 271 Old 01-02-2009, 01:17 PM

I have 7 of the 1 TB drives in a sever which have been running for 6 months to 1 year without any problems. Some of these drives were even bought from Newegg! All have the SD15 firmware.
post #52 of 271 Old 01-02-2009, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Count your blessings.

Bank just emailed me back and said our debit cards don't have warranty benefits like a real visa credit card does. I can still use the enclosure though I suppose and buy a WD drive to put in it.

HHDs are rotating machinery built for a commodity market. They all will fail eventually.

I used to buy WD years ago, and had failures. I switched away from them to other brands. Seagate over the last 5? years, because of the FIVE year warranty. All the brands I've owned (Seagate, Maxtor, WD, IBM's famous "Deathstar"!, have failed.

Back up your data.
post #53 of 271 Old 01-02-2009, 03:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Yup... also, it primarily depends what ambient temperature/respective enclosure/case temperature you decide to push your HDD at. Certainly, one can't expect their HHDs (especially ones with several platters) to last several years when their house gets uncomfortably warm during summertime combined with poor ventilation of the PC/HHD enclosure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof View Post

HHDs are rotating machinery built for a commodity market. They all will fail eventually.

I used to buy WD years ago, and had failures. I switched away from them to other brands. Seagate over the last 5? years, because of the FIVE year warranty. All the brands I've owned (Seagate, Maxtor, WD, IBM's famous "Deathstar"!, have failed.

Back up your data.

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #54 of 271 Old 01-02-2009, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since you already pulled the drive you should enter the serial number on the Seagate web site and see if they will warranty the bare drive. NS series normally comes with 5 year warranty. Of course, they may have the serial number flagged for special treatment since it was sold to a external drive integrator.

- Mike
post #55 of 271 Old 01-02-2009, 05:26 PM

Seagate's 7200.11 HDD's ruined me, I am now a HarDrive Paranoid freak. I had 4 failures out of the last 20 drives ive used.

I have used atleast 20 Seagate 500gb & 1TB drives in the past 4-5 months.
Now everytime I click a file on them (or bootUP) I squint, cross my fingers & Pray.
I dont think i'll ever recover from this HDD backup/failure paranoia.

It's sad, I was a Seagate fanboy for the last few years, since MCE2k5 etc.

I had a Maxtor HDD fail about 6 years ago, And now have had 4 failures in 2008.
post #56 of 271 Old 01-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewjoe View Post

Guys, there is 17 pages and counting on the Seagate forum related to these issues.

http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/...thread.id=3283

This CANNOT be fixed by a firmware upgrade (as there is no new firmware for any drive that isn't 1.5tb), that only relates to the 1.5TB drive. The entire 7200.11 line is potentially affected. Right now the common theme seems to be drives made in Thailand and firmware SD15.

1 of 5 Seagate 1TB of mine have succumbed to this. The symptoms are the drive working fine for several months then suddenly one morning you boot up and the drive is not recognized. It sounds fine, no clicking or anything, sounds like its operating normally. But bios won't recognize it.

Seagate is NOT admitting to the problem. Check the thread above. There are dozens of people experiencing this.

Wonderful, first my DG45ID board goes tits up and now the brand new HDD I bought last night is a bomb waiting to go off. The anti-static bag had a sticker "made in thailand" over the flap. Funny thing is this drive was purchased to replace the dead 500GB recert Seagate I got from woot a few months ago.

My drive is ST31000333AS with F/W SD35:
Is this one of the affected drives?

PSN ID: Ass
post #57 of 271 Old 01-02-2009, 05:47 PM

Made In Thialand...is want we dont want, they are the most faulty...

The Thialand Drives are the big ,s&%t kicker.
post #58 of 271 Old 01-02-2009, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate all of the discussion going on.... What have I started!!!

I have gleaned a lot of info from AVS over the years and thought I could finally give back.... I was recently burned by trusting Seagate with over 900GBs of pictures, movies, music, and video. I know....no backup?? Just transferred all of the data from my old drives - never had a drive failure til now.

The system builder that I have worked for for over 10yrs has been selling Seagate exclusively for about 7yrs..... We've sold 10s of thousands!! We have only recently been seeing issues popping up relating to the 7200.11 SD15 drives including the 500GB and 1TB. If you don't want to take my advice, and either back up your data or "upgrade" your hard drives, that is your prerogative!

Seagate will not even acknowledge an issue!! fatlip has been very generous with his time to try to find a solution to the problem even though he has bricked his own drive.... The 2 main data recovery companies have just released updates to fix this issue - they see the issue. Why can't Seagate??!!

And.... BTW, we buy cases of hard drives at a time and usually are shipped on pallets with other components. So, shipping problems via Newegg is definitely not the reason for failures.
post #59 of 271 Old 01-02-2009, 11:41 PM

You can add me to the list. I've had two of the Seagate ST3750330AS 750GB drives fail in the last two days. Both with SD15 firmware. Purchased from New Egg on 6/14/08.
post #60 of 271 Old 01-03-2009, 02:37 AM

hey Fatlip ,

have u made progress on the hyperterminal fix and where will u be posting? Seagate removed the fallingdown thread and some people have moved to :

msfn "falling down"

hoping u will keep us posted , thanks again
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page