Need help trying to connect my HTPC to a projector. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-31-2008, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was recently given a Sony VPL-VW10HT projector that has 2 component inputs, 1 RCA & 1 S-vid. I'm trying to integrate it into my media center and I don't seem to be having much luck. I thought I could connect it to my HTPC via a DVI-I to component cable but I keep coming up with the same error: "Frequency is out of range". The video card I have on my HTPC is an ASUS EAH3450/DI/256M Radeon HD 3450. The card can output DVI, HDMI & VGA. Before I spend any more money on this I wanted to ask for the support of the forums on the likelihood my next route would work. I have an Onkyo 605 receiver with all my sources going to it (HTPC-HDMI, PS3-HDMI & Wii-Component) and outputing one HDMI cable to my television. Do I need to purchase an HDMI splitter and an HD FURY 2 to get my projector to accept this? This would be an even more ideal solution since all my sources could connect at once, but I've already spent $60+ on cables and adapters that didn't work. Please help before I waste any more money on this.

I hope all this makes sense. If you need any more information, let me know.

Thanks,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-01-2009, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, what are you trying to feed it? Are you running in clone mode or extended desktop? (It needs to be the latter)
Native Resolution is 1366 x 768, which is not an option, so you'll want to set it to 1360x768. Might try 30hz first and see where things go from there.

Of course it might also be something as simple as the fact that simply having a cable with a DVI connection on one end and component cables on the other doesn't necessarily make it an adapter per se. DVI is digital and component is analog and often times video cards have specific adapters built to allow for this type of conversion. (Although it would most likely have come in the box...)
post #3 of 7 Old 01-06-2009, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply rockytt, why do you suggest "extended desktop" over "clone"?

I thought maybe it was a digital vs. analog problem. Do you think a cable like this would work better. It would keep everything analog.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Thanks
post #4 of 7 Old 01-06-2009, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 33
VGA to component cables DO NOT WORK on Tv inputs. Even the link you just posted states "THIS CABLE WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO CONNECT YOUR COMPUTER'S VGA PORT TO THE COMPONENET INPUT ON YOUR HDTV".
These cable will not convert RGBHV into Y, Pr, Pb.
These cable will not convert Y, Pr, Pb to RGBHV
These cable will not support Y, Cr, Cb.

You need a transcoder or find the component dongle (9pin svideo form factor to component adapter) that came with your video card.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-06-2009, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

The information on Monoprice seems contradicting.

Monoprice.com states:
This cable is primarily used for connecting video projectors with Component-in capability through it's VGA port. It can only function with a VGA port that is either able to recieve or transmit Component signals (Y, Pr, Pb).

I've confirmed from ASUS and other posts that this video card can output a component signal.

I would output via svid but the card doesn't have it, only DVI, VGA & HDMI.

I'd hate to have to spend this much on this but is an HD FURY 2 adapter my only option here?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #6 of 7 Old 01-06-2009, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 34
When I was using component on my projector it went to my stereo receiver which received the video from my HTPC DVI via an HDMI adapter. Worked fine. The receiver handled the feeds and sent the video out.

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
post #7 of 7 Old 01-06-2009, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartin147 View Post

...It can only function with a VGA port that is...able to...transmit Component signals (Y, Pr, Pb).

I've confirmed from ASUS and other posts that this video card can output a component signal....

These kind of cables are used to connect Tv's to older consumer electronic set top boxes that had db15 outputs and that could be configured between rgbhv and YPbPr mode. Video cards output RGBHV on the vga/dvi connector, and there is no option to change the mode/output to YPbPr on computers.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page