Newbie Needs Help Getting Screen to Fit - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-08-2009, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I searched and couldn't find any help, but surely this isn't the first time this has been addressed.

First of all, I am fairly experienced with computers and built a HTPC 6-8 years ago and wasn't happy with the image quality at the time. Now that technology has raced forward and quality equipment is much more affordable, I have built a new one.

What is probably relevant is that the video card is a EVGA e-GeForce 8500 GT 1GB GDDR2 PCI-E SLI Ready. I am using a dvi-hmdi cable to a Vizio 50" plasma. Resolution looks great and Blu-ray movies are eye popping.

The problem is that when running windows (Vista) the top, bottom, and sides of the screen are just out of view. I can just see a corner of the Start button and the task bar is below view. I tried different settings on both the tv and computer, but nothing seems to solve it.

Thanks in advance....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-08-2009, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #3 of 6 Old 01-08-2009, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Most TVs overscan on the hdmi input as they are expecting a CE device. You may be able to turn it off on the tv-
If not, then you should have slider bar to adjust the overscan in your NVIDIA control panel.

PS-I know you searched, but this comes up almost daily...
post #4 of 6 Old 01-08-2009, 02:35 PM

I don't use an Nvidia-based card but it probably has the same feature as I use on my ATI card. Basically, I set create a custom screen resolution which is sized to the visible portion of my TV screen.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-08-2009, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

I'll try both of these. Thanks!

I figured it was kind of a common issue but in looking at scaling and calibration threads, it seemed that like a whole lot of more advanced issues were being addressed. At this point, I am just trying to get the screen to fit!

Sorry I didn't see it in my search but thanks for being nice about it!

Thanks again
post #6 of 6 Old 01-08-2009, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

In the event this may help someone else that has an Nvidia card, here is how I solved this.

I went to the Nvidia website (using the computer with the graphics issue) and went to their download driver section. I used their scan utility and downloaded a new driver.

The new driver from Nvidia has everything I need including a "resize your screen when you desktop is displayed" utility. Very cool and very easy. Even though it was a brand new card, new drivers from Nvidia did the trick for me.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page