Please bear with my noob questions, but the more i read other posts, the more confused i get.
I am getting a 42LG50 LCD
From here i am considering two options:
- Get a standalone Bluray player (more expensive)
- Get a BD-ROM drive (less expensive) and then send the video/audio from the PC to the LCD/Speaker system.
Connecting video is not an issue (HDMI/DVI). But what about audio?
I thought it was as simple as just plugging a long optical cable from my soundcard into the speaker system with the TV... However after some research, i learned that basic bluray player software that comes with the BD-ROM does not support 5.1 sound. Now i need to upgrade that software (extra cost) in order to get 5.1 sound?
But then i read here somewhere that optical SPDIF does not support 5.1 either
Furthermore, people keep talking about motherboards in this issue.... What has the mobo got to do with this?
So, please help me understand:
- If i have a BD-ROM drive, can i get 5.1 surround sound locally on my computer?
- Is this going to be the TrueHD or something else?
- What is the difference between TrueHD and regular 5.1? (I am on a budget, and i am not an audiophile)
- Can i get that 5.1 surround sound out from the computer to another speaker system via the optical TOSLINK on my soundcard (Fatal1ty)?