post #61 of 807 Old 03-18-2009, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

Might work. The space between the mobo and the case wall is less than the normal thickness of an 80 mm fan (25 mm), so the fans would sit very close to the USB headers. If the fans were mounted near the top of the case, it could work.

I can take some measurements and post later this week.

Most 80mm case fans are 25mm thick, but there are a few that are 15mm, here are some from Evercool, SilenX, and Rexus. They would do a much better job than 40s and be much quieter.

Politby, what,s the temp for the Velociraptor with the case closed?

BT

Just remember, to the MPAA "We're all guilty until..............."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 807 Old 03-19-2009, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjterry62 View Post

Most 80mm case fans are 25mm thick, but there are a few that are 15mm, here are some from Evercool, SilenX, and Rexus. They would do a much better job than 40s and be much quieter.

Politby, what,s the temp for the Velociraptor with the case closed?

BT

I actually ended up putting the Raptor in a different PC that had more need for a fast disk. So now I have a WD Scorpio Black 320GB 7200 rpm drive. Below is a system status snapshot after having played a Blu-ray for about 30 minutes. This is with no case fans, just the little fan on the chipset cooler and the Scythe Shuriken processor cooler I installed yesterday.

The system is sitting in a shelf with little space around it so I think those temps are fairly okay. Slightly concerned about the MB temp; probably indicating there is not enough airflow out of the case, but on the other hand that temperature never went higher than that even after several hours of playing HD content with no hardware acceleration.
post #63 of 807 Old 03-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Update for potential US buyers...Another 3 weeks MINIMUM!!!!!!!!!! (as per phone call with Moneaul Labs US office)

This is really beginning to suck! Still due to remote issues - and it was confirmed again that the OEM for this remote board is iMon. I'm getting tired of waiting.

-PGPfan
post #64 of 807 Old 03-23-2009, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGPFan View Post

Update for potential US buyers...Another 3 weeks MINIMUM!!!!!!!!!! (as per phone call with Moneaul Labs US office)

This is really beginning to suck! Still due to remote issues - and it was confirmed again that the OEM for this remote board is iMon. I'm getting tired of waiting.

-PGPfan

Well, it is worth the wait. It is a great looking case and it works great with the exception of the remote snafu.

It does need a couple of 40mm fans though. I added two Adda fans - they are inaudible and they helped lower the case temperature by 12 degrees. My processor is now running at 29 deg C at idle and the IGP temp never goes above 50 even when running 1080p without HA.
post #65 of 807 Old 03-23-2009, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

Well, it is worth the wait. It is a great looking case and it works great with the exception of the remote snafu.

I have no doubt that it is worth it. I'm just tired of the whole 'announce before you have stock available' mentality that manufacturers use. I 'was' trying/hoping/wanting one of the Omaura cases - we all know how that went - and now this seems to be history repeating itself. Don't get me wrong, Moneaul is already known for being a legitimate company to deal with (unlike Omaura), but the endless wait is hard to deal with.

-PGPfan
post #66 of 807 Old 03-24-2009, 09:46 AM

Whish Adda Fans did you add? Got a link?

I'm considering picking up one of the Corsair dominator memeory cooling fan units (3 x 40 fans with one 3 pin power connector) and letting the fan speed control it. not sure how quiet it would be. I have done a lot of testing with 40mm fans in the past and rarely are they silent. And if they are they usually move zero air.
post #67 of 807 Old 03-24-2009, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgallup04 View Post

Whish Adda Fans did you add? Got a link?

I'm considering picking up one of the Corsair dominator memeory cooling fan units (3 x 40 fans with one 3 pin power connector) and letting the fan speed control it. not sure how quiet it would be. I have done a lot of testing with 40mm fans in the past and rarely are they silent. And if they are they usually move zero air.

No link, all I have is the Adda part number: 14032 (according to the store I bought them from). 40 x 40 x 10 mm, 14 dB noise level spec.

/politby
post #68 of 807 Old 03-31-2009, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Just got an email from Moneual saying they have shipped my replacement IR board. Maybe that's good news for availability of the case in volume?
post #69 of 807 Old 04-07-2009, 08:53 AM

Any news on this? Have you received your replacement IR board yet?
post #70 of 807 Old 04-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

I spoke with Moneual US yesterday and was told "3-weeks, but I personally will believe it when I see it" by their sales rep. I guess the factory keeps telling them '2 weeks more' about every other week that they've asked so far.

The wait goes on.............

-PGPfan
post #71 of 807 Old 04-07-2009, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any news on this? Have you received your replacement IR board yet?

Yes, I have received it - but I've been so busy at work I haven't had time to install it. Will post the results as soon as I have.
post #72 of 807 Old 04-20-2009, 02:38 PM

Hi all,
I've orderd one of these cases from Quiet pc in the uk and the shipping date has been moved a few times.
Would you think this is due to the problems with the IR board? It's now due in around 5 weeks The orignal shipping date it should of been here by now.
post #73 of 807 Old 04-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

I'd almost guarantee the IR is the reason for the hold-up on shipping. Seems politby is about the only person in the world to have recieved one of these cases. The rest of us are on "perma-wait"!

-PGPfan
post #74 of 807 Old 04-21-2009, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I still haven't had the time to install the new IR board, too much other stuff to do, like getting my boat ready for spring launch. I plan to get it done next week.

Moneual keeps emailing me asking for feedback on the new IR board, so maybe they don't want to release the case in volume until they've heard from me - so maybe I'm the reason you are all still waiting?
post #75 of 807 Old 04-21-2009, 10:42 AM

Looks like FrozenCPU just upped their price from $219 to $249 in the last few days.
post #76 of 807 Old 04-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Looks like FrozenCPU just upped their price from $219 to $249 in the last few days.

Now that sucks! I wish they'd give the option to order for the original price and just NOT include the ir board for those of us planning to use other solutions.

-PGPfan
post #77 of 807 Old 04-27-2009, 01:00 PM

In stock now as of 04/27/2009 at 1pm PDT - I ordered one already before this post Sucks about the price jump but use "pcapex" promocode for 5% off! Just a friendly tip!
post #78 of 807 Old 04-27-2009, 01:28 PM

Quick question, I have two PSU's I could use in my system in this case. Which do you think would be better?

1. Antec NeoHE 430
2. Zalman ZM600HP

Specs
Asus P5N7A-VM
Intel Q8200s
4GB (2x2) DDR2800
LG GGC-H10l
3 HDD's

Both PSU's are pretty much brand new. My thinking is the NeoHE 80mm fan would help cool the hard drives placed directly behind the fan. Thoughts?
post #79 of 807 Old 04-27-2009, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddadudda View Post

In stock now as of 04/27/2009 at 1pm PDT - I ordered one already before this post Sucks about the price jump but use "pcapex" promocode for 5% off! Just a friendly tip!

Holey Crap! Hell has officially frozen over! Time to FINALLY get one ordered!

-PGPfan
post #80 of 807 Old 04-27-2009, 02:52 PM

Frozen over indeed. Just ordered mine from Frozen CPU.
post #81 of 807 Old 04-27-2009, 10:19 PM

Well, I just placed my order. Thanks huddadudda for the promocode!

I hope this case lives up to the hype. Now I hope y'all post some pics from your long anticipated builds.
post #82 of 807 Old 04-28-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valiot View Post

Well, I just placed my order. Thanks huddadudda for the promocode!

I hope this case lives up to the hype. Now I hope y'all post some pics from your long anticipated builds.

No problem glad I could help save you some cash! Mine should be here tomorrow - lets hope the IR stuff has been fixed since I am actually going to use it. I placed my Newegg purchase for the other stuff today which was already picked out weeks ago and on a saved wish list! I wont be home this weekend but hopefully next week I will have some pix too!
post #83 of 807 Old 04-29-2009, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I finally got around to installing the new IR board Moneual sent me. It works fine in Media Center (no longer any problems with unplanned exits) but unfortunately it does not work properly with some other programs which support the standard MCE IR device.

So, for example, Arcsoft TMT (both inside and outside Media Center) only responds to the playback transport buttons (pause, skip, play, etc), not the other buttons. So I can't bring up the TMT options menu by hitting "Info" for example.

So it appears that to get full MCE remote compatibillity, a standard eHome IR device is needed.

/politby
post #84 of 807 Old 04-29-2009, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Yep, that's the 'Curse of iMON'. Why they wouldn't release this case without the remote much earlier is beyond me. I'll never use that iMON garbage again - it NEVER works correctly.

-PGPfan
post #85 of 807 Old 04-30-2009, 02:17 PM

Well I finally broke down and bought the case and a couple of 40mm PWM fans to try out. I decided to go with the MSI 7.1 Diva, mainly for the onboard PbPrY out for my old SONY RPTV and the 4 PCIe slots. Don't care about the 7.1 preout, as I have a SONY ES amp to connect it to. Will post pics when everything is here.

Anyways, another sale for frozencpu...thanks for the 5% discount code huddadudda.
post #86 of 807 Old 05-01-2009, 12:02 PM

Just a couple of questions before I order my case.

I wonder if the IR board software supports Windows 7?

Does the IR system support the Microsoft MC Keyboard?

It looks from the case cooling diagram that the fan in the PSU assists airflow. I have a fan-less PSU I'm wondering how this will affect cooling. I suppose I will have to install all three 40mm fans.
post #87 of 807 Old 05-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Based on politby's experience a few posts above, I'd say the chance of the ir system supporting the MC keyboard are about zero. This ir system, frankly, sucks. Plan on using a "real" Philips made, Microsoft sold ir solution to guarantee that the keyboard will work.

-PGPfan
post #88 of 807 Old 05-01-2009, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count de Monet View Post

Just a couple of questions before I order my case.

I wonder if the IR board software supports Windows 7?

Does the IR system support the Microsoft MC Keyboard?

It looks from the case cooling diagram that the fan in the PSU assists airflow. I have a fan-less PSU I'm wondering how this will affect cooling. I suppose I will have to install all three 40mm fans.

With a fanless PSU you will need to be very careful with airflow - I think three exhaust fans will be the minimum, and if you plan on using your motherboards's IGP I would recommend you replace the IGP heatsink with an actively cooled one, if it is passively cooled.

My system is now running very cool with two 40mm exhaust fans and an active IGP cooler, and the power supply also helps.

I don't know about the MCE keyboard - I do know that the built in IR receiver works 100% in Media Center with a Media Center remote, but there are problems with other software that expects standard MS/Philips IR codes.

The safest way to go is with a standard MCE IR device if you want to be sure of full functionality.
post #89 of 807 Old 05-01-2009, 10:54 PM

OK, well all my parts arrived today (thanks NewEgg and FrozenCpu for the case) except for my case fans.

Two main issues:
1. My WD 1TB HDD is DOA...that just put a damper on things.
2. The MSI Diva 7.1 MATX M/B does not fit properly. In general none of the M/B holes line up with the binding posts on the case. After some fooling around I got some screws in. The problem is with the rear port headers. There does not seem to be enough space between the rear of the case and the binding post placements. The Diva has a pad on the backplate, which I had to remove to get the M/B even close.

Another time consumer was the LG Bluray/HDD player. Politby is right on by saying that the case Open/Close button does not hit the ODD's button. I resolved this issue by using a hard rubber foot (that fit perfectly) which was adhesive on one side.

So as I type I have most of the system in, I am clearing space on a 160GB HDD I have so I can at least load it up and make sure everything else is running.

Politby, I think you mentioned buying Corsair PSU, as I have an inch between the PSU and the ODD.

Will write more later with a couple of pics.

M
post #90 of 807 Old 05-01-2009, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchristsen View Post

OK, well all my parts arrived today (thanks NewEgg and FrozenCpu for the case) except for my case fans.

Two main issues:
1. My WD 1TB HDD is DOA...that just put a damper on things.
2. The MSI Diva 7.1 MATX M/B does not fit properly. In general none of the M/B holes line up with the binding posts on the case. After some fooling around I got some screws in. The problem is with the rear port headers. There does not seem to be enough space between the rear of the case and the binding post placements. The Diva has a pad on the backplate, which I had to remove to get the M/B even close.

Another time consumer was the LG Bluray/HDD player. Politby is right on by saying that the case Open/Close button does not hit the ODD's button. I resolved this issue by using a hard rubber foot (that fit perfectly) which was adhesive on one side.

So as I type I have most of the system in, I am clearing space on a 160GB HDD I have so I can at least load it up and make sure everything else is running.

Politby, I think you mentioned buying Corsair PSU, as I have an inch between the PSU and the ODD.

Will write more later with a couple of pics.

M

I had no problems fitting my Gigabyte E7AUM-DS2H motherboard so must be specific to your MSI board.

I also had no problems matching my LG drive's button to the case. I don't think I said that - or did I?

The first PSU I tried (Gigabyte Odin) had no size issue, it's the ACEpower one I replaced it with that barely fits. I think most PSUs will fit with no problem.

Looking forward to seeing your pics!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page