Open Media Library (OML) - Fantastic VMC plugin for DVD/Blu-Ray - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-22-2009, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to point out to everyone a fantastic project for another front end for your HTPCs. I know some people around here are using this already, but things are really progressing along nicely with the OML project, and its the only solution I've found that works perfectly for my needs.

The front end is integrated with VMC, and is just for movies. A new icon is added to the TV + Movies strip in VMC, and you can select your coverart for whatever movie you would like to watch. The plugin supports both daemon tools and Virtual Clone Drive perfectly, and can also launch into any external player for Blu-Ray playback. The plugin even monitors when the external application (like TMT) is running, and upon exiting the player will automatically revert back into VMC.

Personally, I find this plugin to be the perfect front end application for movie selection because it blends in so perfectly with the rest of VMC and supports fantastic Blu-Ray playback (with external player). I highly recommend it, and suggest checking out the main page and the discussion forum:

http://code.google.com/p/open-media-library/ - Main Google code page

http://www.ornskov.dk/forum/index.php - Discussion Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-22-2009, 09:38 PM

Does it work with Windows 7?

Living Each Day Well Above My Means...
post #3 of 10 Old 01-23-2009, 01:22 AM

while oml is nice, i would recommed media browser if you don't need to worry about blu-ray (though that is in the process of being supported).

To the op, it's worth checking out media browser, i was sold on oml a few weeks back before i checked it out. The automation of metadata and art downloading and the centralization of all the video media is what got me.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-23-2009, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastishe View Post

while oml is nice, i would recommed media browser if you don't need to worry about blu-ray (though that is in the process of being supported).

To the op, it's worth checking out media browser, i was sold on oml a few weeks back before i checked it out. The automation of metadata and art downloading and the centralization of all the video media is what got me.

I have read a lot about Video/Media Browser on these forums, but as far as I know it currently does not mount with Virtual Clone Drive. I'm not sure about the ability to launch into an external application (TMT) either, which is also essential for me.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-23-2009, 01:29 PM

All of these things are plan for future release. But these guys work so fast that it should not be very long before it's done.

Give it a try and choose what best fit you.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-23-2009, 01:50 PM

Liked: 15
There is one thing I hated about my movies and that was the size of the program with its additional components. mymovies requires 70 meg download, OML is 10 megs now but...installs its own database, is a server required or in the future going to implement one?

As far as Media Browser it is an 840KB download that runs extremely fast for me looks better than OML judging from the screenshots from both and has talks for Blu-ray and HD DVD. Why would I want to try OML?
post #7 of 10 Old 01-24-2009, 06:15 AM

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraZtiK View Post

There is one thing I hated about my movies and that was the size of the program with its additional components. mymovies requires 70 meg download, OML is 10 megs now but...installs its own database, is a server required or in the future going to implement one?

As far as Media Browser it is an 840KB download that runs extremely fast for me looks better than OML judging from the screenshots from both and has talks for Blu-ray and HD DVD. Why would I want to try OML?

Because media browser does NOT have BR and HD-DVD support.

If you need support for these two items, you cannot use media browser. If you do, you will not get support for these two items.

That is the point of OML. It provides support for everything.

Note that I do not use either one. I tried out mb, but it does not add enough extras to have me switch from the VMC media library hack. I also tried out OML, but it is not polished enough for me. I stayed with the VMC media library hack.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-24-2009, 06:44 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Because media browser does NOT have BR and HD-DVD support.

I have yet to try it but according to the change list it does.

* Fix so external players mark the watched flag
* Fix spelling of BluRay
* Ensure we recognise folders with BDMV and HVDVD_TS folders in as movies
* Ensure we only try external player if we are not on an extender
* External player support, add section to config file for

Avi
wmplayer.exe
"{0}"

Where ExternalPlayer element is repeated for each required mediaType.
Valid MediaType values (case sensitive)are Avi, Mkv, DVD, BlueRay, HDDVD
post #9 of 10 Old 02-18-2009, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

I thought I would get some pictures up in here so people had an idea of what OML looks like right now.

LL
LL
LL
post #10 of 10 Old 02-20-2009, 07:24 AM

OK, so it's just yet another movie library with option to launch an external player.

What would actually be fantastic is Blu-ray and HD DVD playback inside VMC/MediaPortal or something else without having to launch an external player.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page