*Official* Zotac Geforce 9300 Mini-Itx HTPC Motherboard Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1588 Old 03-03-2009, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidaltaco View Post

The dimensions inside the manual claim a 63mm height, which may include feet or not. Not sure I'm reading the diagrams right, but it doesn't look like the DVD would really overhang the board by more than a few mm (+cables). Stock 45nm Core2Duo cooler is 61mm, so that's a no go. Silverstone NT07-775 to the rescue however :P 37mm, check it out.

P.S. Boards back in stock @ the Egg!

And now "Deactivated Item" on newegg.ca for some reason... just my luck. Just when I was about to order :\\

It's available at NCIX

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=36...ufacture=Zotac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1588 Old 03-03-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Schreck View Post

It's available at NCIX

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=36...ufacture=Zotac

They've had it listed for a while, with no stock or ETA. Who knows when they're going to get it in. I suppose it can't be TOO long now, but I'm looking for actual stock, which Newegg had then deactivated solely on the Canadian site for whatever reason.
post #93 of 1588 Old 03-03-2009, 06:07 PM

woohoo....they are back in stock at the egg....ordering mine now!
post #94 of 1588 Old 03-03-2009, 08:30 PM

Liked: 11
What size power supply would you recommend for this setup: mobo+C2Q Q8300+4GB RAM+WD Green HDD+full size BD-ROM+92mm case fan? Because of the project I'm looking to do with this, a PicoPSU is pretty much a necessity. I was looking at the 150W PicoPSU with a 120W AC adapter. Do you think this will serve my power needs, or should I jump up to the 200W power connector? Thanks!

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." - Arthur C. Clarke
post #95 of 1588 Old 03-03-2009, 11:28 PM

I got my board today. Currently I have it in an AOpen S150. The case is great, but the power supply hovers over the CPU. With my low-profile fan (NT07-775) it barely fits, and it gets hoooooooooooooooooot. Was looking at replacing the fan with a HFA-10828-C2, but I doubt that will help

Luckily, I was able to move the power supply up to the front, under the DVD-ROM/HDD, which begs the question: Why wasn't it there in the first place?

So I'm going to see if it will run cool enough with the PSU moved, and if not, I'll throw it in my MI-100 that currently houses my D945GCLF2. Though I'm pretty sure that I will see the same problem with the PSU being right above the CPU

Anyone have any case suggestions? I'm looking for something pretty small, with one expansion port. I'm going to put either a low profile 9500, or a regular 9800 GT in there, depending on how tall the case is. Hopefully the "Green Edition" GPUs come out soon
post #96 of 1588 Old 03-04-2009, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Eeek!! Only a few more hours and I'll have mine!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke
post #97 of 1588 Old 03-04-2009, 05:26 AM

For those of you looking for a nice looking case. I think I am going to go with the Morex T3500. It's nice looking. There is also an APEX MI-008 at New Egg that looks pretty nice and has an available PCIe expansion slot opening that the Morex doesn't have.

Sorry, you will have to Google them. I would have linked to them but it says I have to 3 posts before I can post with links.
post #98 of 1588 Old 03-04-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnoto View Post

For those of you looking for a nice looking case. I think I am going to go with the Morex T3500. It's nice looking. There is also an APEX MI-008 at New Egg that looks pretty nice and has an available PCIe expansion slot opening that the Morex doesn't have.

Sorry, you will have to Google them. I would have linked to them but it says I have to 3 posts before I can post with links.

The Morex isn't a great looking case (subjective ) but the cooling should be good with all that mesh and i think the MI-008 is one of the reference cases in the guide sticky.

I wish we had the number of choices here in the UK but our supply is limited to say the least
post #99 of 1588 Old 03-04-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGOvoruhk View Post

I got my board today. Currently I have it in an AOpen S150. The case is great, but the power supply hovers over the CPU. With my low-profile fan (NT07-775) it barely fits, and it gets hoooooooooooooooooot. Was looking at replacing the fan with a HFA-10828-C2, but I doubt that will help

Luckily, I was able to move the power supply up to the front, under the DVD-ROM/HDD, which begs the question: Why wasn't it there in the first place?

So I'm going to see if it will run cool enough with the PSU moved, and if not, I'll throw it in my MI-100 that currently houses my D945GCLF2. Though I'm pretty sure that I will see the same problem with the PSU being right above the CPU

Anyone have any case suggestions? I'm looking for something pretty small, with one expansion port. I'm going to put either a low profile 9500, or a regular 9800 GT in there, depending on how tall the case is. Hopefully the "Green Edition" GPUs come out soon

Congrats on your new build. When you can, could you post your impressions on the board? More specifically, I would like to know about the BIOS fan control options, the operating temperatures of the north bridge and the BIOS Power Management options (does wake from S3 by USB device work?). Thanx.
post #100 of 1588 Old 03-04-2009, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

I'll be able to post all this information when I arrive at home as my board just arrived at my door step I'll be using windows 7 for now. I'm still deciding on a tv tuner.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke
post #101 of 1588 Old 03-04-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:

EGOvoruhk wrote:
Hopefully the "Green Edition" GPUs come out soon

Ask & ye shall receive!!!
http://www.zotac.com/index.php?optio...d=313&Itemid=1

Zotac is on a roll.
post #102 of 1588 Old 03-04-2009, 10:38 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by opentoideas View Post

waiting with great interest for reports on this one

I am a bit hesitant after the problems with the Intel board but this looks like it could show great promise.

I have been finding it dificult to find a small, good looking case at a reasonable price but have just come across this

That's a nice case! If you do manage to fit everything in it, I wonder what the temps would be like inside the case. It looks like it does have one tiny fan.

It seems to be called "Pandora" and is manufactured by Tsunami. Silver color is also available:

post #103 of 1588 Old 03-04-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoody2016 View Post

I'll be able to post all this information when I arrive at home as my board just arrived at my door step I'll be using windows 7 for now. I'm still deciding on a tv tuner.

bwoody, when you get the time, how many fan headers are on the board?

Thanks in advance

Nevermind, found my own answer, it has 2 fan headers (CPU, Sys)
post #104 of 1588 Old 03-04-2009, 11:24 PM

adnoto: There are 2 fan headers. One CPU, on SYS

Mr Magic: That Tsunami case looks cool, but you're probably going to need to cut a hole above the CPU for ventilation. No way is that side vent enough

I was looking at the AOpen S135: http://www.logicsupply.com/products/s135

I'm really torn on cases though. It's so hard to find a small case that allows a full size PCIe card and wont overheat, or even one that accepts just half height cards
post #105 of 1588 Old 03-05-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:

Oops! Thanks for the info. I had the tab open but hadn't refreshed it and went and downloaded the board manual to check for myself.
post #106 of 1588 Old 03-05-2009, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi

This mobo looks promising. I wonder if there are slim blu ray optical drive available in the market. I am looking to house this on a slim desktop casing with minimalist look.

thanks
post #107 of 1588 Old 03-05-2009, 12:41 AM

post #108 of 1588 Old 03-05-2009, 01:23 AM

Quote:

Mr Magic: That Tsunami case looks cool, but you're probably going to need to cut a hole above the CPU for ventilation. No way is that side vent enough

I was looking at the AOpen S135: http://www.logicsupply.com/products/s135

I'm really torn on cases though. It's so hard to find a small case that allows a full size PCIe card and wont overheat, or even one that accepts just half height cards

that Tsunami case is bigger than it first appears - about the same footprint as an A4 sheet of paper so getting everything in shouldn't be a problem - i hope!

I agree that the side vent is a little optimistic but I will probably try to mod it to fit a 120mm fan in the top, I am hoping that I can find the clearance for it but an 80mm at worst should be easy enough.

SWMBO has agreed the costs so I will order up all the other bits over the weekend and once I get the board (looks like the 11th at the earliest to a UK distributor) then I can let you know how it goes.

out of interest why the add on card? are you adding a tuner?
post #109 of 1588 Old 03-05-2009, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

(looks like the 11th at the earliest to a UK distributor) then I can let you know how it goes.

Which UK distributor is going to be stocking? I've asked the usual suspects and no luck so far.

Thanks,

Wo0zy
post #110 of 1588 Old 03-05-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

Which UK distributor is going to be stocking? I've asked the usual suspects and no luck so far.

Thanks,

Wo0zy

KustomPC - here

good price considering we usually pay a LOT more in the UK

there is a post in their forum discussing it where Graham from Kustom says he expects delivery of the first batch on 11th
post #111 of 1588 Old 03-05-2009, 01:59 AM

Quote:

out of interest why the add on card? are you adding a tuner?

Was looking into making it a small gaming system. Using one of the upcoming 9600 or 9800 Green Edition GPUs
post #112 of 1588 Old 03-05-2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:

Was looking into making it a small gaming system. Using one of the upcoming 9600 or 9800 Green Edition GPUs

ahh now I see the need for more space and heat dissipation.

its an unusual choice for a gaming rig but it will still make a nice small-ish box

there was a review on SPCR of the MI-008 that may suit your needs.

it can take a full height expansion card and a 120mm side fan for cooling. the included PSU is in the way a bit but could easily be replaced by a pico type.

full review here

i know its in the guide as a recommended case but this is a good review to get an idea of the innards. unfortunately I couldn't find it in the UK which is why I like the Tsunami
post #113 of 1588 Old 03-05-2009, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Wow let me just say it took me three hours just to get everything installed. This has been the most challenging build I have ever done. After CPU fan mods, such as cutting the fan cage, filing down the fan itself. To applying zip ties to all the wires. I spent 3 hours just making sure nothing could go wrong. Everything fit nicely in the case. There shouldnt be a problem with heat as I have a fan blowing air directly on the CPU. Although I didnt stabilize the fan, I'll go back and do it another day. I've taken basically a full photo album of the build. Close to 20 pictures that Ill be creating a sideshow of. The wireless card that comes with the board is just a bad design, I was unable to get the screw's to go onto the board, so the card is just hanging on to the I/O shield. The bios has tons of options for overclocking this board. I have a E8200 on my board so I don't see the need of overclocking for me. The only thing left is a TV tuner and some movies

**Be aware, the CPU must be as low as you can get it to the board, or you''ll run into problems with space!!***

Questions that have been answered
***Does the motherboard have S1 or S3?***
Yes here is the picture to prove it

*** Does this board allow u to monitor the cpu fan and the secondary fan header?***

Yes! Here is another picture to prove it!

If you guys have any more questions feel free to ask . If you have alot I'll try to answer them as quickly as possible I'll try to post more pictures of my build later on today. Its 3am PST and I need to sleep. lol

Oh here are the spec of my build

Zotac 9300 ITX
E8200 2.8GHZ
4GB 6400
1TB EcoGreen WD HD
BlueRay Drive
Windows 7. I'm gonna change this to Vista 64 bit by end of the month

post #114 of 1588 Old 03-05-2009, 03:20 AM

Quote:

If you guys have any more questions feel free to ask . If you have alot I'll try to answer them as quickly as possible I'll try to post more pictures of my build later on today. Its 3am PST and I need to sleep. lol

Oh here are the spec of my build

Zotac 9300 ITX
E8200 2.8GHZ
4GB 6400
1TB EcoGreen WD HD
Windows 7. I'm gonna change this to Vista 64 bit by end of the month

thanks for all the info!

its good to know that the BIOS supports all the options but it will be interesting to see if they work correctly.

its looking like a good start though.

if you could let us know how it handles the various video formats that would be great but I am tempted to jump in and order.

I am hoping that there wont be any real problems like there were with the G45 board but am nervous about any new board.

looking forward to the slide show
post #115 of 1588 Old 03-05-2009, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

KustomPC - here

good price considering we usually pay a LOT more in the UK

there is a post in their forum discussing it where Graham from Kustom says he expects delivery of the first batch on 11th

Thanks opentoideas.

Was hoping to find a trade supplier but this is the only UK listing anyone's come up with so far.

All the best.

Wo0zy
post #116 of 1588 Old 03-05-2009, 03:40 AM

my bad, I did say distributor when I should have said retailer.

yes so far this is the only UK supplier I can find. I tried Ebuyer as they are listed by Zotac but after an email to say they would look into it I have heard nothing
post #117 of 1588 Old 03-05-2009, 03:52 AM

opentoideas:I actually have a MI-100, but it wont work because of the PSUs location. I think I'm going to wait it out, and see what kind of power requirements the new cards are taking before I buy anything. The AOpen S150 will have to do for now

bwoody2016: What are your temps for idle/load in that case? You can use CoreTemp to check the temps, and Prime95 to load the CPU
post #118 of 1588 Old 03-05-2009, 04:09 AM

I just ordered mine here: ht tp://w ww.awd-it.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=5689&cart=y (i am not allowed to post links with one post). They have it in stock and 110 GBP is pretty cheap. Paid 19 GBP for express shipping to germany but hopefully it will arrive this week.
My estimated configuration will be:
Core2Quad q8200
8GB ram
Patriot Warp V2 64GB SSD
PicoPSU 120W (hope it has enough power for the q8200)
Selfmade Case 17*17*~7cm
and a bunch of six WD Elemets 1TB

I'm just undecided about the cooler. Thought about a big customized heatpipe top-flow cooler and a low-profile 12cm Fan but didn't find a matching cooler serving my needs.
post #119 of 1588 Old 03-05-2009, 04:18 AM

Quote:

***Does the motherboard have S1 or S3?***
Yes here is the picture to prove it

Thanks for the update bwoody. The burning question is, does the MB power the USB ports from the 5V standby line and allow USB devices to wake the computer from S3? This feature is missing from earlier Zotac MB's.
Without it this will never fly as an HTPC. Please let us know what you find.
post #120 of 1588 Old 03-05-2009, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm very interested in knowing whether the CPU voltage and multiplier can be lowered from the stock settings in the BIOS (from their manual I already they can be raised). If not, whether they can be controlled by software like rmclock and crystalcpuid.

I'm also interested in power consumption numbers.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page