*Official* Zotac Geforce 9300 Mini-Itx HTPC Motherboard Thread - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1588 Old 03-16-2009, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

Nice one

Quick question for you. Are there vents on both sides of the case or just the side with the fan and is there any venting in the bottom?

I haven't been able to find any pictures or info to confirm this.

Cheers,

Wo0zy

there are vents on both sides but only the holes to mount a fan on the one side.

other than these there are no vents anywhere else.

picked up a PicoPSU 120 and brick from fleabay cheap so the power is no longer a worry

if you want some pics of the case layout then let me know and I can take a few

Renegade7 - bad news about the usb power in S3 - thats a bit of a silly mistake have you checked the motherboard headers? it may be that only one port is powered, if not then hopefully a BIOS update can fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1588 Old 03-16-2009, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade7 View Post

I recently received my Zotac 9300 ITX MB and I have some observations so far.

First off there isn't a jumper or option for powered USB while in S3 Standby so for Media Client uses in the HTPC world it won't work that way. Right now I am trying to settle out if I want to use S1 Standby instead.

Secondly, the GPU temp right now is around ambient for me (40-44 C) but I haven't done any stress testing. I have an E8400 with stock Heatsink/Cooler.

The intelligent fans and even the 1-15 manual control of the fans doesn't seem to work for me. I cannot get the Motherboard System Fan header to lower my case fan at all. I've tried two different fans and still nothing. I haven't fully investigated the CPU fan controls but I will here soon.

On the whole the MB seems promising but I have to say that I am very disappointed in the Powered USB Standby option not present. I will post more when I have done more testing.

There is an option to turn on "Smart Speed Control" Turn that on, the system will do a good job of managing the fans. The only time I hear them running is when the system is booty up or I'm burning a DVD.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke
post #183 of 1588 Old 03-16-2009, 01:44 PM

I tried all available USB ports just now (Back panel and USB headers) and nothing worked for Standby. Only the power button.

bwoody you are correct. I wasn't being thorough. When in the bios I can change the CPU fan setting from 1-15 and get changes in the fan speed but if I change it to Smart control it didn't change the fan. Checking it now it does change the fan control by the time I get to Windows. I still don't have any control over the other fan header. The Bios says I can adjust the MCP fan which I assume is that fan header but it doesn't budge for me either in the boot process or while in Windows.
post #184 of 1588 Old 03-16-2009, 01:46 PM

Also while Speedfan does see the MCP (GPU) temp it doesn't have any control over the fans and doesn't list them for me.
post #185 of 1588 Old 03-16-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:

I tried all available USB ports just now (Back panel and USB headers) and nothing worked for Standby. Only the power button.

hmm thats a major pain

well I suppose if enough people pester them about this and the fan control they may improve it in future BIOS updates.

the fan control is a bit of a worry as cooling is paramount if you are trying for a small case. I wish they would also have a BIOS option to just leave all fans on MAX then let you use speedfan to control them down if you want.

noticed this with a few boards that have BIOS "smart" fan control - you cant get them to let go and leave it up to other software.
post #186 of 1588 Old 03-16-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:

bwoody you are correct. I wasn't being thorough. When in the bios I can change the CPU fan setting from 1-15 and get changes in the fan speed but if I change it to Smart control it didn't change the fan. Checking it now it does change the fan control by the time I get to Windows. I still don't have any control over the other fan header. The Bios says I can adjust the MCP fan which I assume is that fan header but it doesn't budge for me either in the boot process or while in Windows.

Thank you very much for the information you have shared in the last few posts. This is what I had feared, the S3 USB issue is present in the micro atx version of this board, and the buggy fan control issue is present in the gf8200 board and the manufacturer has not learned from previous mistakes. Too bad, those are deal breakers for me so I guess I'll wait for an Ion board or I'll get a J&W Minix.
post #187 of 1588 Old 03-16-2009, 02:49 PM

Well I did see some posts asking those questions earlier so I wanted to get that out for those potential buyers. I probably wouldn't have purchased the board knowing it couldn't do those two things well or at all, like you are going to do. I'm just going to try to make it work though.
post #188 of 1588 Old 03-16-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:

Well I did see some posts asking those questions earlier so I wanted to get that out for those potential buyers. I probably wouldn't have purchased the board knowing it couldn't do those two things well or at all, like you are going to do. I'm just going to try to make it work though.

got to second that.

these are rather large **** ups considering the target market of this board

fan control I suppose can just be at a fixed speed with a fan controller or hopefully good airflow with just the CPU fan also circulating through the case.

no wake from USB however is a major PITA it was a risk with this board but have to hope they will solve it, though they seem rather poor on the comunication front.
post #189 of 1588 Old 03-16-2009, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

So let me sum this up..

Issue 1: Fan Control
What more control do you want? The extra fan header is linked to the CPU fan header. Yes I don't know why they did this but this is what we have to deal with. There is an option for "SmartFan Control" in the bios. What this does is dial the fans down when the processor is not running at full speed. There is also the option of controlling the fans manually with the option of 1-15 I believe. I really don't understand how this is an issue, they gave us options. Why does it matter that we know temps? Seems most of you are going out of your way to find something wrong with this board.

Issue 2: Stand-by Issues
While this has the be the biggest issue with this board. I can understand why most of you are a little disappointed, but let me paint a picture. Most of us are installing this board in low profile cases with low consumption power supplies and, low profile video cards. Do we really need to have this resume from stand by for recordings or waking up from our couch? Why not just keep the computer turned on for now? Till this issue does get fixed, I think this is an option. The power consumption is already low, why worry? If you are worried, remember a bios update still hasn't been released yet.

Some of you are already counting this board out for small issues. When this board is powered on and running, it really shines. My family has been really impressed with how it preforms. We have 5.1 sound,24p video, perfect coloring, no shuddering.

While I'm not trying to make this out to be the perfect HTPC board, not everything will be flawless guys.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke
post #190 of 1588 Old 03-16-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:

I recently received my Zotac 9300 ITX MB and I have some observations so far.

First off there isn't a jumper or option for powered USB while in S3 Standby so for Media Client uses in the HTPC world it won't work that way. Right now I am trying to settle out if I want to use S1 Standby instead.

Secondly, the GPU temp right now is around ambient for me (40-44 C) but I haven't done any stress testing. I have an E8400 with stock Heatsink/Cooler.

The intelligent fans and even the 1-15 manual control of the fans doesn't seem to work for me. I cannot get the Motherboard System Fan header to lower my case fan at all. I've tried two different fans and still nothing. I haven't fully investigated the CPU fan controls but I will here soon.

On the whole the MB seems promising but I have to say that I am very disappointed in the Powered USB Standby option not present. I will post more when I have done more testing.

I find it so surprising that motherboard makers continue to make this mistake. major market segment this board is headed for is a HTPC, and powering on/off with a remote control is a basic function. I had an older eVGA board (different chipset) that had HDMI output, yet still had this problem. Ended up selling it. I have the ASUS version of this chipset, and they've implemented the USB S3 power just fine. I think i read somewhere that Zotac's full-size implementation of this chipset has the same USB power issue.
post #191 of 1588 Old 03-16-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoody2016 View Post

So let me sum this up..

What more control do you want? The extra fan header is linked to the CPU fan header. Yes I don't know why they did this but this is what we have to deal with. There is an option for "SmartFan Control" in the bios. What this does is dial the fans down when the processor is not running at full speed. There is also the option of controlling the fans manually with the option of 1-15 I believe. I really don't understand how this is an issue, they gave us options. Why does it matter that we know temps? Seems most of you are going out of your way to find something wrong with this board.

While this has the be the biggest issue with this board. I can understand why most of you are a little disappointed, but let me paint a picture. Most of us are installing this board in low profile cases with low consumption power supplies and, low profile video cards. Do we really need to have this resume from stand by for recordings or waking up from our couch? Why not just keep the computer turned on for now? Till this issue does get fixed, I think this is an option. The power consumption is already low, why worry? If you are worried, remember a bios update still hasn't been released yet.

Some of you are already counting this board out for small issues. When this board is powered on and running, it really shines. My family has been really impressed with how it preforms. We have 5.1 sound,24p video, perfect coloring, no shuddering.

While I'm not trying to make this out to be the perfect HTPC board, not everything will be flawless guys.

Do you work for Zotac?
post #192 of 1588 Old 03-16-2009, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Schreck View Post

Do you work for Zotac?

Nope, I just don't look toward the bad things, when in my opinion they are minor

post #193 of 1588 Old 03-16-2009, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

So let me sum this up..

Thanks for all information from others that purchased this board. These issues may matter for some and not others.

Does anyone know of Zotac's history of modifying their BIOS to correct issues? I believe they have a ITX and mATX boards with the 8200 that had similar problems, not sure if Zotac updated their BIOS to correct these problems.
post #194 of 1588 Old 03-17-2009, 02:53 AM

Quote:

So let me sum this up..

while I agree that these are not the end of the world they are more than an inconvenience. TBH the fan control wouldn't bother me at all if 3rd party apps could resolve it. I notice there is a new Speedfan beta that might be worth a try but either way the fan control is not a deal breaker.

the wake from USB however is inexcusable. this is basic functionality that surely isn't that hard for a manufacturer to implement so what happened to market research? if they knew it was needed why not put it in? and if not!

I don't know about anyone else but since news of this board came out i have sent several queries to Zotac both on sales and technical - I have yet to receive a reply. this does not give me confidence that these issues will be even looked at let alone resolved.

like you say though, it is still a good board and there are ways around these problems. I can live with it - but I would rather not have to
post #195 of 1588 Old 03-17-2009, 03:11 AM

I doubt that a BIOS revision can fix the USB issue. It's likely that the USB ports are not connected to the 5V standby bus. What a disappointment. Oh well, I was on the fence, now I'm definitely waiting for Ion or something better.
post #196 of 1588 Old 03-17-2009, 11:47 AM

Zotac just announced the 9800 GT Eco: http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...=view&id=12659

It doesn't require external power, but it's full size. Perfect for those of you with an MI-008/MI-100
post #197 of 1588 Old 03-17-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwallie View Post

I doubt that a BIOS revision can fix the USB issue. It's likely that the USB ports are not connected to the 5V standby bus. What a disappointment. Oh well, I was on the fence, now I'm definitely waiting for Ion or something better.

got to say its a tricky one

mine has not shipped yet so I "could" cancel the order, and have been thinking it over for the last 24 hrs........

the fan control is a pain but in a SFF case my intention is to only use the CPU fan (or possibly heat pipes- but thats another story with this case) and the fan control is good enough for that.

the USB wake is a pain..... no way around that!

however I can live with pressing the power button to wake the PC on first use - after that there is no issue. its an inconvenience, no question - and it should work - but....

what other options are their right now? the Intel G45 no thanks its got bigger problems. and is not as capable.

ion? - well if and when it ever becomes available then possibly - but for the moment....

there is a real lack of competent HTPC micro ITX motherboards out there. this one though not perfect only really has a couple of minor flaws. the USB for some, even many, may be a deal breaker but for me I can live with it.

it is still a good board, you just have to be aware of, and happy with its flaws
post #198 of 1588 Old 03-17-2009, 04:09 PM

My guess is that all UK vendors are expecting limited stock today or tomorrow, so the window for making final decisions is rather narrow. I am not sure that all of them will get it, though, or if all of them are 100% truthful, especially given the fact that one of them, on ebay, is claiming that they still have over 80 boards in stock!
post #199 of 1588 Old 03-17-2009, 06:02 PM

First and foremost, a huge thanks to everyone who has provided their coverage, findings, and insights on this board. I've been following this thread closely for a while.

Just received my board today, though I haven't got to give it more than a quick test, sans Windows, yet. Unboxing this badboy was certainly more exciting and rewarding than that DG45FC As I have yet to receive the intended 2TB drive for this HTPC, I'm going to have to dig out one of my committed drives to try it in the meantime.

My (intended) setup of which I'll surely have more pics of and findings on soon:

E5200
2x1GB Mushkin EM2-6400
2TB WD20EADS (sigh, stock already!)
Pioneer DVR-216DBLK (RMA. motor unbalanced something fierce!)
Apex MI-100BK
90W PicoPSU + 120W brick
120mm S-FLEX

Was really bummed upon hearing of these issues that surfaced recently, namely the USB wake, and really hope it's able to be ironed out via a BIOS update, even if I have my doubts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentoideas View Post

the USB wake is a pain..... no way around that!

Well, I wouldn't go THAT far

(wireless door chime turned remote power switch)

My preemptive strike to this issue, though I never expected it to happen. I certainly believe this is a huge deal and it would definitely have impacted my decision to purchase it, had I not already been so far along with my build, and there were alternatives besides the problem-ridden Intel DG45 board.

I'm sure I'll have some more pics and findings as I get further with this thing . Keep yours coming though!
post #200 of 1588 Old 03-17-2009, 07:16 PM

Just to clarify so I'm not being misunderstood. With MY board I don't have reduction of the secondary fan with either setting. The manual control does nothing for the fan nor does it go up or down with the CPU fan under the Smart control. The CPU fan does respond to this option for me but the System(Secondary) fan does not. Now it may work for others but not me.

This overall won't be a big deal to me but I want to get it out there in case someone faces the same issue I have had and can see it's not just them.
post #201 of 1588 Old 03-17-2009, 08:27 PM

Oh dear... hate to be the bearer of bad news, but:

"Dear Sir,

Base on the design of GF9300-ITX board, the USB wake up function is not available. The BIOS update cannot change it."

The response I got from Zotac support :\\ Regrets, regrets.
post #202 of 1588 Old 03-17-2009, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Noo!!! Are you kidding me? Its a HTPC board Zotac!! I was a believer that a bios update could fix this. I guess Xmas wont come early this year.

post #203 of 1588 Old 03-18-2009, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidaltaco View Post

Well, I wouldn't go THAT far

(wireless door chime turned remote power switch)

My preemptive strike to this issue, though I never expected it to happen. I certainly believe this is a huge deal and it would definitely have impacted my decision to purchase it, had I not already been so far along with my build, and there were alternatives besides the problem-ridden Intel DG45 board.

I'm sure I'll have some more pics and findings as I get further with this thing . Keep yours coming though!

- I didn't want to mention quite so Heath Robinson an approach but I had been thinking about a basic IR switch on the power glad its no just me considering it
post #204 of 1588 Old 03-18-2009, 05:17 AM

opentoideas,

Has your board been shipped? I have the rather unpleasant feeling that these boards are nothing more than vapour hardware in the UK. KustomPC has always appeared to be very reliable but if even they find it difficult to procure stock, then one should most probably start thinking of some other board, perhaps not in the mini ITX form factor.
post #205 of 1588 Old 03-18-2009, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by periv View Post

opentoideas,

Has your board been shipped? I have the rather unpleasant feeling that these boards are nothing more than vapour hardware in the UK. KustomPC has always appeared to be very reliable but if even they find it difficult to procure stock, then one should most probably start thinking of some other board, perhaps not in the mini ITX form factor.

last contact I had with Graeme was that he expected them yesterday and I just emailed him for an update.

another form factor isn't an option for me as my case is barely big enough for this board

the UK always seems to be at the end of the list, so delays are to be expected I am afraid.

I did see one supplier that now claims to have received them but conveniently has them all pre-sold....

will let you know when I hear anything
post #206 of 1588 Old 03-18-2009, 05:44 AM

opentoideas,

Many thanks. By the way, the supplier with the pre-sold boards has a forum, and the discussions suggest that nothing has been shipped so far.
post #207 of 1588 Old 03-18-2009, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by periv View Post

opentoideas,

Many thanks. By the way, the supplier with the pre-sold boards has a forum, and the discussions suggest that nothing has been shipped so far.

I suspected that may be the case

well who knows how long we will have to wait I have my case and drives sat taunting me but no heart to the system
post #208 of 1588 Old 03-18-2009, 07:14 AM

Well Graeme just let me know that he is now hoping they will come in tomorrow

its a good sign that the delay is now hopefully a matter of days not another week
post #209 of 1588 Old 03-18-2009, 07:35 AM

I have been following this thread for a while as it seems perfect for my new HTPC build. There is a review over at bit tech published today which seems largely positive, although on benchmarks the Intel DG45FC outperforms on all but blue ray. My main interest in the board is blue ray and CUDA acceleration so I'm still going for it.

There are a couple of UK retailers (linitx, itx-warehouse & mini-itx) who are all expecting it in tomorrow. From what I can make out from emailing linitx they were expecting them yesterday but the supplier has delayed and apparently put up the buy in price by $10
post #210 of 1588 Old 03-18-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf87 View Post

...There is a review over at bit tech published today which seems largely positive, although on benchmarks the Intel DG45FC outperforms on all but blue ray...

Wow, interesting review for sure. Oddly it goes against everything I've read that's hyped me up about this board vs the G45, where the 9300 chipset always scored perfect HQV tests (and the G45 did poorly) and had similar or less power draw and similar performance, for one Maybe Zotac's implementation on this particular board just sucks. Of course though, you'll note they didn't throw in any gaming benchmarks to heavily shame the G45 If I come across the review I'm thinking of again, I'll be sure to link it.

Oh and I'll save everyone else a Google, since saf87 can't link yet: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/mot...-wifi-review/1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page