Powerline Ethernet Safe w/ Home Theatre Components? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-28-2009, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello. I'm looking for the best way to connect my HT setup to the Internet and was considering the powerline option. I like the simplicity vs. wireless, especially since I have two, possibly three components that I'd like to connect (DirecTV HD DVR for VOD streaming, blu-ray player for firmware upgrades and bd-live, possibly Sammy HDTV for firmware and/or streaming content).

However, I also know that powerline is incompatible with any sort of surge protection or line conditioning. I currently have my entire HT setup running through a Panamax 5300. It seems to me that then plugging any component directly into the wall is risky. Of course, I know little about electrical topics - does the ethernet connection protect at all instead?

I'm hoping that this is a safe option since I haven't seen any discussion of any risks with powerline and I know that many people are using it as a connectivity solution. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

This brochure can help you:

p r a c t i c e g u i d e NIST r ecommended
post #3 of 7 Old 02-02-2009, 03:10 PM

First you must realize that must "split" the wall power outlet: One going to any conditioners/UPS connected and the PowerLine itself. If you try to wire the PowerLine to one of these two, they will likely filter out the signal and call it noise, especially the more expensive ones.

The PowerLine must be connected DIRECTLY to the wall outlet, or at least a dumb surge protector. It also must be on the same power circuit of the adjacent adapter.

If you are concerned about power surges, the best you can do is stick the RJ-45 into and out of a surge protector or UPS that purports protection for that particular connector. My 2/3 of my UPS devices have that.

Finally I've heard mixed reviews on the actual throughput of PowerLine. The higher speed, newer versions seem to be quite expensive. You might want to consider holding out for 802.11n.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-02-2009, 03:11 PM

Yes I have used them just fine, but based on the distance, they will output a lower throughput, longer distance or more complicated the run (i.e. aplliances, large load devices, etc etc) will drastically lower the throughput. i had a nice clean line and got 50-60MB/s just enough to stream DVD content.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-02-2009, 03:36 PM

Don't you mean 50-60Mbps?
post #6 of 7 Old 02-02-2009, 04:01 PM

Safety shouldn't be much of an issue as long as your component are still surge-protected. Throughput varies a lot but many people have been lucky enough to be able to stream HD, depending on age of their lines, distance, etc.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-03-2009, 07:05 AM

yeah sorry... long day at work... 50-60Mbps ~ 6.25-7.5MBps
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page