SPDIF output bracket header - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-04-2009, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently bought a Biostar ta790gx. Was wondering where i can get a bracket so i can use the onboard audio via spdif. Anyone have any ideas.
Thank You
JJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-04-2009, 09:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 371
You can use ASUS S/PDIF module. Or you can build a coaxial bracket yourself.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-04-2009, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll second the suggestion of building a coaxial bracket. That is what I did to access the spdif out on my motherboard. All you need is a blank expansion port cover, a panel mount RCA jack, a header plug, and some wire.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-04-2009, 10:14 AM

I actually bought the ASUS adapter on eBay a few years back for one of my mobos. When i switched to another one, the pin out was different It went from a straight 4-pin with a open space to a 3-pin (no open pins). luckily I had somehow had this 4-pin-3pin adapter (looked like a special internal audio header cable), which I think was pulled from a surplus Mac from over 8 years ago.

Long story short, make sure your mobo header for the S/PDIF actually has the proper pinout, first.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-04-2009, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Would i be able to just use the hdmi to go to the tv and then a s/pdif from my sony a3000 tv to the receiver? I just want to be able to use the dolby digital live function of the mb.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-04-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgear View Post

Would i be able to just use the hdmi to go to the tv and then a s/pdif from my sony a3000 tv to the receiver? I just want to be able to use the dolby digital live function of the mb.

Providing you select the correct audio playback device. I plug my HDMI output directly to the TV an send audio to my receiver via s/pdif. The primary reason for doing this is avoid the headaches of trying to get the AMD 780g to work properly through the receiver. The 780g video seems a little sensitive to on/off order of items in the hdmi chain.

Of course you're limited to 2 channel LPCM or compressed 5.1 w/ s/pdif. (that's all the hdmi over the 780g does anyway).
post #7 of 7 Old 02-04-2009, 10:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Yup, you will need a 3-pin connector like this if you use the ASUS S/PDIF module.

"Dolby Digital Audio signal from the HDMI input will be output as PCM (from DIGITAL OUT [OPTICAL])" (meaning stereo PCM). BTW Dolby Digital Live (a real-time DD encoder) is not supported by the BIOSTAR mb (even if it is supported, the onboard HDMI audio can't use it).

-

-
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page