How do you fix video flickering problem? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-06-2009, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Dell Studio Slim incorporates integrated Intel GMA X4500HD.
One big problem with this video chip is that the video output flickers incessantly during the first 10-20 minutes of starting the computer when it is connected to my Samsung LCD TV through HDMI at its native resolution of 1920x1080. (The flickering subsides after about 20 minutes, but returns upon re-boot or even new log-on.)
The response I received from Dell is that the integrated video cannot handle HDMI at that resolution, which I believed to be a correct assessment because there was no flickering issue when the resolution was lowered or VGA was used instead of HDMI.

As recommended by Dell, I've been shopping for an internal video card.
But it has not been easy, because of certain limitations that I face: (1) my Dell has only a 250 watt PSU, (2) it has a slim form factor, requiring a low-profile PCI card, and (3) I need Bluray playback capability.
I haven't been able to find a video card that fits this bill, especially if I eliminated HD4550-based cards based on the reviews in this forum that HD4550 is not really recommended for BD playback. (There is not a single low-profile video card with HD4650 or above.)

That really puts me back to square one.
Since the integrated GMA X4500HD is capable of BD playback, I would be able to make the best of the situation if I could just fix the flickering problem and not buy a new video card.
(I don't play games at all, so 3D is not even an issue.)

What really intrigues me is that (1) the flickering goes away at about 20 minutes after booting, and (2) there is no flickering when I play BD even right after boot-up.
If it was an inherent problem with the integrated video, why does this happen?
Would there be any way to fix the flickering problem? If there was, I would just stick with the integrated video and not worry about the power consumption, form factor, driver setup, etc, of a new video card.

Thanks for reading this long post and providing help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-06-2009, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Where do people say that the 4550 cannot cope with Blu-ray? I have not seen this in any of the professional reviews. I'm not saying it is not possible, chip makers and reviewers have screwed up before, but it is equally possible that the comments made here were mistaken. The spec says it should be fully capable.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-06-2009, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 View Post

Where do people say that the 4550 cannot cope with Blu-ray? I have not seen this in any of the professional reviews. I'm not saying it is not possible, chip makers and reviewers have screwed up before, but it is equally possible that the comments made here were mistaken. The spec says it should be fully capable.

I got the impression from http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6&highlight=bd that 4550 is not a sure bet for BD playback. I haven't seen reports in this forum confirming that 4550 has good BD playback capability either.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-07-2009, 02:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Even in that thread there are people saying the 4550 is perfect for BD. One person looks like he has a dodgy installation. Read this review here: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3420

I do not have this card, but from all I have read I would be very confident that it will perform perfectly for BD (hopeless for modern gaming though!). It is sold specifically for that purpose, if it does not perform you will be perfectly entitled to return it. If I were looking for a new card purely for BD, with low power and minimal heat output I would definitely be giving this one a go.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page