Best Software for backing up DVD Movies - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-10-2009, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

I know many people have asked this before but again, what is the best software to burn/back up dvd movies to my hard drive, I would liek to have high quality audio as well, i.e. 5.1, DTS, etc, etc. I have about 500 movies and want to eventually start using either Media Portal as an interface or MCE with MyMovies. Please let me know.

Thanks in Advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-10-2009, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

DVDFab is probably the easiest to use these days (for me at least) -
you can back up the entire disc or just the main movie-no further compression of the video and the audio goes through unchanged
post #3 of 10 Old 02-10-2009, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

The ripping software is the easy part, any one of several will work just fine.

IMO the bigger decisions are: to backup the entire disc or just the movie and which format (vob files vs iso vs single mpeg2 file vs compression to some other space saving format with the attendant loss in quality). It depends on your target playback device and what it likes/supports. Not an issue with a couple dozen DVDs but once you get to 500 movies, finding out that your new device does not support your chosen format or wishing you had chosen a different format sucks.

For instance the much loved Popcorn Hour does not support iso files played back from it's internal HDD.

FWIW, this is why I back up my DVD main movie rips to a single mpeg 2 file. Every hardware or software player will play them. Takes an extra 5 min per rip. Many do not agree with me but for me it works with my hardware media player.

BB

New wealth is created in 2 ways:
You dig it from the ground (mining and oil)
Or you grow it (fishing, farming and forestry).
Everything else is just processing what you dug up or grew.
post #4 of 10 Old 02-10-2009, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Well now that you mention that, I am leaning towards maybe ripping it into one file, Is that the best thing to do? I would still like to maintain perfect quality video and all have all the audio options i.e. DTS and stuff. What formats would give me that? Would MKV? MPEG-2?? Or should I jsut burn them to iso? I have having all those individual file with iso's. Also, I think it was either MyMovies or Media Portal that burned a dvd for me but when I play it back its VERY choppy, and I have no idea why that is...
post #5 of 10 Old 02-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by befernandes View Post

Well now that you mention that, I am leaning towards maybe ripping it into one file, Is that the best thing to do?

Aside from making sure your playback device(s) support whatever format you choose, as BigBird mentioned, I think that's more a matter of personal choice.

I know nothing about media extenders, or the popcorn hour, but just about every windows (and linux and mac) movie player supports the video_ts folder format. This is what you'll get if you rip a movie with DVD Fab or DVD Shrink. You don't loose any quality and it's easy to play back. You could rip them to iso files, but that adds an additional step to the playback process as hardly any movie players can play an iso file directly. Instead what you do is mount the iso, so windows sees it as a dvd in a virtual dvd drive. Then you play back your "virtual dvd" so to speak.

I can't speak to the mpeg2 route mentioned above as I've never done it (video_ts works for me, so no need for me to add another step in the ripping process).

Personally, I think the video_ts route is the most straight forward and easiest route, but that's just me. However, there are lots of people who would say the same for going the iso or mpeg2 route (e.g. some people prefer a movie to be a single file as opposed to a folder full of a bunch of files). I'd guess that video_ts folders and iso files are the two most popular routes.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-10-2009, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

+1 for what mslide says about vob folders vs isos. Ripping to a single mpeg 2 file with vob2mpeg adds a step and about 5 min per rip. I do it because my ancient Linkplayer2 likes single files and performs like a champ on mpeg2 files. The same applies if you want to playback on a PS3 or XBox. Single mpeg files work well without jumping through hoops. And as I pointed out, even the newer media players like the PCH can play single mpegs from any where on the LAN, without jumping through hoops. Plus, since there is no encoding the file is at the original DVD quality. Besides I just like a list of files to choose from. For me it just works. YMMV.

BB

New wealth is created in 2 ways:
You dig it from the ground (mining and oil)
Or you grow it (fishing, farming and forestry).
Everything else is just processing what you dug up or grew.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-10-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by befernandes View Post

Hey Guys,

I know many people have asked this before but again, what is the best software to burn/back up dvd movies to my hard drive, I would liek to have high quality audio as well, i.e. 5.1, DTS, etc, etc. I have about 500 movies and want to eventually start using either Media Portal as an interface or MCE with MyMovies. Please let me know.

Thanks in Advance

Unfortunately the answer hasn't changed much over the years. Backing up DVDs to your hard drive is generally called "ripping." If "best" means free, then DVDDecrypter has been a stand by for a few years. It can not handle encryption on some of the newer DVDs, and it never will because it is no longer in development. DVD Fab *used* to ship a trial version that would rip the newer encrypted DVDs. The current trial does not rip any CSS encrypted DVDs.

A number of people buy AnyDVD to do their ripping of DVDs (& HD-DVD/BluRay). Often I hear of them running AnyDVD in the background and using DVDDecrypter to do the ripping.

As for .iso or the ts_video ripping. It's up to you. I used to think .iso was the best way because it was (generally) the easiest to burn back to a DVD if necessary. However as software to mount .iso's became more bloated and untrustworthy, I started to think TS_VIDEO folders as being a better method. In addition MediaCenter can play movies from them with the DVD Gallery registry setting.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-03-2009, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Does DVDFab work with HD DVDs? I tried to test the program out (using a trial version) and it doesn't see my Superman HD DVD.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-04-2009, 09:21 AM

This discussion, as always, is personal opinion. What works for me is:

Since you'll need it anyway to get past content protection, AnyDVD is the one stop solution. Rip to folders whether DVD or Blu-ray. VMC w/ MediaPortal + TMT for playback.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-04-2009, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does DVDFab work with HD DVDs?

No - you AnyDVD HD for that
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page