BD playback on HTPC ...a few specific questions... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 02-12-2009, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Gelfling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Milford, Delaware
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a new HTPC. I'm using Windows Vista64 and its basically a fresh install. I followed the guide in putting together the parts for the HTPC. Programs I have available to me at this time are:

DVDFab Plat
AnyDVD
PowerDVD (newest version - with BD support)

I need this thing to be wife friendly and that's proving to be the only frustratng part. I am able to play DVD's and BD via PowerDVD at this time, and my wife could get the hang of that. Ultimately though, I want some kind of "front end" that will play all my video content - DVD's, BD's, and h264 download's I get for TV shows via torrents.

I am willing to pay for software to make this easy for my wife (which in turn makes it easy for me). I plan to incorporate a remote for the PC in the near future.

Now the questions:

1. Dumb one first. How do i launch Windows Medica Center in vista (not windows media player)?

2. I plan to rip dvd's I own and BD I own to a HD array. I need a program that can play them. What I would love is some sort of front end that would get cover art from online and basically you click on the video cover to launch a player which plays the movie from its location on the HD. I don't care if there needs to be a virtual drive setup, as long as I can make that process automated. I basically want my wife to be able to brouse our movie selection and pick one a-la jute box style. What will do this for me?

3. What app can I use to manage my TV show downloads? Is there something that I can get that will, like I asked above, scan my HD for shows and present a jute box style list of things to play?

Thank you VERY much to those that reply. I love to tinker, but my wife gets...well....angry....when she has strugle.
Gelfling is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 3 Old 02-12-2009, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
K-Spaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling View Post

Programs I have available to me at this time are:

DVDFab Plat
AnyDVD
PowerDVD (newest version - with BD support)

I am willing to pay for software to make this easy for my wife (which in turn makes it easy for me). I plan to incorporate a remote for the PC in the near future.

Now the questions:

1. Dumb one first. How do i launch Windows Medica Center in vista (not windows media player)?

Either directly in Media Center, or in Windows Explorer Options, be sure that the associations for your desired media types are set to Media Center, not Media Player. You also may need in Media Player to set options there to NOT automatically associate those media types to play in MP. I don't use either personally, but I know MP has options to "Make sure MP is the default player..." or options with wording to that effect. Look for something like, "Make MC the default player for XXX media types."

Quote:


2. I plan to rip dvd's I own and BD I own to a HD array. I need a program that can play them. What I would love is some sort of front end that would get cover art from online and basically you click on the video cover to launch a player which plays the movie from its location on the HD. I don't care if there needs to be a virtual drive setup, as long as I can make that process automated. I basically want my wife to be able to brouse our movie selection and pick one a-la jute box style. What will do this for me?

Any program can play them if you go to SlySoft and get VirtualCloneDrive. It's a free app available for immediate download there. Once installed, just double click the ISO and if you have the movie playback associated with MC, and autorun turned on, that double click will invoke your player and you'll be at the media menu. (or whereever you told Anydvd to take you upon startup). AnyDvd also has options for disallowing auto insert/autoplay. Be sure to allow it to start the DVD playback.

Quote:


3. What app can I use to manage my TV show downloads? Is there something that I can get that will, like I asked above, scan my HD for shows and present a jute box style list of things to play?

I can't comment on this.
Quote:


I love to tinker, but my wife gets...well....angry....when she has strugle.

Well, if that's the key, then I guess a lot of women... struggle. Often...
K-Spaz is offline  
post #3 of 3 Old 02-12-2009, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rockytt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Check out the Media Portal sticky - been having pretty good luck with that
rockytt is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off