Hauppage HVR-2250 Owner's Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 137 Old 04-18-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks a ton for that constantly switching is insane. Yea how many years later is it now and it's still an issue, unreal.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 137 Old 12-30-2012, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The 2250 and HDHomerun are quite different. I have several of each. The Homerun does not have an analog tuner. the 2250 has both QAM and analog. Video is ok with the digital channels and really poor with analog. The HDHomerun;s provide beautiful HD video. Really like this product but no analog option. Also like the ability to share the HDHomeruns with any PC or iPad in the home. Not an option with the 2250.
post #123 of 137 Old 01-01-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I've also got a pair of 2250's as well as a HDHomeRun Dual and a Prime. With ATSC broadcasts, there should be absolutely no difference in the picture quality since the tuner just receives the digital data stream via the antenna and dumps it to a hard drive. My 2250's both get higher signal strengths than the HDHR Dual so I usually set them higher in the priority list for each OTA channel I receive. In fact, with my recent HTPC upgrade, I don't even use the HDHRs in my primary HTPC setup. Instead, I use a pair of 2250's and an AverTV Duet. I only use the HDHRs for sharing with other PCs. FWIW, recordings and live TV both look the same regardless of which ATSC tuner is used.
post #124 of 137 Old 02-22-2013, 06:54 AM

Recent new build with a 2250, and this thread has solved some problems. I use it only for OTA in Win 8 MC.

Is there a way to directly tune a ATSC channel, e.g. 13.1, with the included remote? No period on the 45 button remote so I must scroll or use the program guide.
post #125 of 137 Old 02-22-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by bparker View Post

Recent new build with a 2250, and this thread has solved some problems. I use it only for OTA in Win 8 MC.

Is there a way to directly tune a ATSC channel, e.g. 13.1, with the included remote? No period on the 45 button remote so I must scroll or use the program guide.
Try the * key (located below the 7).
post #126 of 137 Old 02-22-2013, 11:08 AM

I have tried the *, the #, the colored keys. Nothing does the trick of adding the period in channel number.
post #127 of 137 Old 02-22-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Does your remote look like this one?

post #128 of 137 Old 02-22-2013, 01:10 PM

Yes it does.

Sounds like it might be working for you? I went through many tests trying to get IR functionality at all. Turned out the plug was not completely seated in the card. Sooo, I had installed uninstalled, etc. drivers, programs... At this point I have the remote control icon in the systray, and separate 'restart ir' and stop ir' icons on the desktop. In device manager I do not have a HID that says Microsoft ehome infrared transceiver or Hauppauge Infrared Consumer Device, although there is one ‘compliant consumer control device’ (with a Microsoft driver).. At one point I had installed HCW CIRconfig but I don't think it is now. Only thing in add/remove programs is Hauppauge WinTV Infrared Remote. I am not using the WinTV v7 software.
post #129 of 137 Old 02-22-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am not using the WinTV v7 software.
Me either. The Hauppauge remote uses the standard Microsoft Media Center remote codes. I'm using it with an Echo Media Center extender and the * key is working as a decimal for me.
post #130 of 137 Old 02-23-2013, 08:53 AM

Solved. I uninstalled everything, ran hcwclear and rebooted. Installed tuner driver and hcwcirconfig tool. Ran the config tool and then the remote worked with '*' inserting a period. Hope this is useful to someone else.

And thanks Ken.F for helping me through this.
post #131 of 137 Old 11-16-2013, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

My experience is that that IR receiver that plugs into the board does not seem to work with all the remote codes. I bought a different remote with a USB IR receiver and everything works including the remote that Hauppauge provides.

Now my problem. I built my HTPC at the first of this year with 64 bit Windows 7 and two 2250 using WMC. Once I got past the IR receiver issue everything worked great until a little over a week ago the sensitivity on all four tuners fell off a cliff. I have a 3 way splitter and my Samsung TV still gets a good signal so I believe the antenna, amplifier and most of the connections are good. I have swapped cables from the splitter to the card and changed the outlets the cables are connected to. The cables are not shorted. The TV still gets a good signal so I am thinking the splitter is good and I would be surprised that 4 tuners would go bad at the same time so I am thinking software or something in the computer. My install disk is version 2.6D. WMC lists the device as Hauppauge WinTV-7164 BDA ATSC/QAM. Any ideas?
post #132 of 137 Old 11-16-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
My kneejerk guess would be the amplifier, irrespective of the fact that you say the TV does not appear to have been affected. You have to take into consideration that many modern TVs have fairly sensitive front-ends on them, possibly good enough to suffer a dramatic drop in gain from the amp and still give a good picture.. Barring an amplifier problem, I would look for moisture inside the coax fitting(s) at the antenna (including Balun, if equipped) or at the ground block. Also look at the antenna for damaged elements. If by chance you've gotten a shot of lightning, you could also have developed a carbon path between center conductor and ground at the ground block, or even across the insulator(s) on the antenna "driven" element. For multiple output connections to have concurrently lost a lot of signal it has to be something common to all receivers. Also if it's a Rat Shack splitter, I have seen these go bad or become intermittent.

As part of annual "routine" I open up all coax fittings at least once a year to check for possible corrosion & clean the threads accordingly , as needed.. Then apply a very light coating of silicone grease to the threads and then tighten things back down. If you have a small torque wrench, the coax connectors should all be tightened down to 30 inch pounds. I do this for OTA and cable/sat as well.

Also, coaxial cable that is exposed to the elements will eventually go bad & develop attenuation distortion. I do not have a recommendation for how often to replace it, but I try to replace mine every 7~10 years.

Also when installing coax you want no kinks, no staples (ie, staple-gun), no sharp corners and no tie-wraps that have been cinched-down. Snug is OK but not tight.

The PAY TV industry does not hold the patent on poor customer relations, but Comcast in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.

post #133 of 137 Old 11-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

A few weeks ago I replaced a couple of "all weather" connectors because there was actually corrosion on the coax shields causing a bad connection. The lightning arrestor measures open to ground so I think it is good so I will add an inline amplifier after the point where I split off the TV. Could be atmospherics related to the weather change and my signal was just strong enough to appear to work and then dropped below the threshold. A lot of people on here have been complaining about poor sensitivity.

Thanks for the ideas.
post #134 of 137 Old 11-19-2013, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
ok i'm a little frustrated and need some guidance, i have a 2250 that i put in my pc to record tv shows and got rid of my dish, i have an outdoor antenna, no amplifier, i have a samsung tv that is split off the same antenna line, the 2250 is very difficult to get the signal good, i noticed i can play the same channel on my tv without any dropouts what so ever, the 2250 will break up, would an amplifier on only the 2250 help? if so whats a good one?

i read about multipath would that affect the 2250 and not the tv seeing as it's the same antenna?
post #135 of 137 Old 11-19-2013, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 264
In my experience, the 2250 needs more signal than a recently-built television. Try a pre-amp such as a CM 7777 as close to the antenna as you can get it. Amplifying an already-degraded signal does no good, so putting an amp downstream is generally a waste of time.

There are a lot of other variables in getting a signal that you need to include. Your location. Type of antenna. Are you using RG-6? What kind of splitter? Try taking the splitter out of the line and running direct to the 2250 from the antenna. Check your antenna pointing. Lots of things to try. Go to www.tvfool.com to see what signals are in which direction. Make sure you're using RG-6 cables and a good splitter. Failing that, put the amp in the line.

HDTV Technical or the HDTV Local Reception thread specific to your area might be of assistance.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #136 of 137 Old 11-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

In my experience, the 2250 needs more signal than a recently-built television. Try a pre-amp such as a CM 7777 as close to the antenna as you can get it. Amplifying an already-degraded signal does no good, so putting an amp downstream is generally a waste of time.

There are a lot of other variables in getting a signal that you need to include. Your location. Type of antenna. Are you using RG-6? What kind of splitter? Try taking the splitter out of the line and running direct to the 2250 from the antenna. Check your antenna pointing. Lots of things to try. Go to www.tvfool.com to see what signals are in which direction. Make sure you're using RG-6 cables and a good splitter. Failing that, put the amp in the line.

HDTV Technical or the HDTV Local Reception thread specific to your area might be of assistance.
Over the course of time I have found that adding an amplifier to the system is actually counter productive. I have a CM777X but before it went out I had a Winegard preamp so I have tried three different amps over the years. Not only do they not improve the signal, they appear to over boast the signal or noise to the point that the receiver(s) (TV, Dish DTVPal DVR & these cards) over saturate or something and I don't receive anything SO I can say, don't waste your money on that idea. It appears to be based on the weather but in the course of poking around I replaced a Toner XBFS-2B 3 way splitter with two cascaded 2 way hybrid splitters and now I have all green on all channels but two weak ones when the weather is good. It is too cold to work on the antenna but maybe next spring I will replace my 20 year old RG-11 with new RG-6 (close to a 100 foot run so there can be some losses there) and a higher gain preamp. I have a DB-8 and a Channel Master VHF yagi but I don't know the model number. If it flakes out again maybe I will reconnect my DTV-Pal DVR and use it for the weak stations since it seems to have a better tuner. At least if it does not have a signal it will just skip the recording instead of going into a series of messages telling me it can't record that make it difficult to cancel the recording.

The funny thing is that I think I tried going directly to the tuner with no splitter and it still didn't work so I sort of ruled out the splitter but maybe there was a bad connection also. It seems there is a signal level threshold where it works or it doesn't so I am going to stop poking at it and try to observe what happens. Since I have always had ocasional dropouts on the week stations maybe I just need to look at a better antenna or more sensitive tuner.

Thanks for the comments.
post #137 of 137 Old 11-24-2013, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 264
I guess it depends on where you are. With my pre-amp, I can drive about 6 devices with signal from Detroit and Toledo. Without it, just Detroit and the antenna's positioning is far more critical.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page