No sound from PC to Sony Bravia TV via HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-21-2009, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I am hoping you can help me with my issue. It seems to be a fairly common one after reading a few posts and doing some searches online. Here it is:

There is no sound coming out of my TV when it is hooked up to my desktop via HDMI. I get a picture on the screen since that is run through the DVI/VGA hookup my TV has. I was hoping to take advantage of the HDMI hook-ups my TV has for the sound from the desktop. I then have my TV connected via optical cable to a Yamaha system for when I want a fuller sound (for watching movies, gaming, etc.). I just use my regular TV speakers when watching TV, however.

I purchased a Dell Studio Slim Desktop with a 256MB ATI Radeon HD 3450 supporting HDMI (with blu-ray) to hook it up to my Sony Bravia (KDL-40XBR2) LCD TV. The TV is about 2 years old.

Right now I have the HDMI cable plugged into the Radeon HDMI port on the desktop and into the TV. Please note that I got rid of cable and am using the same HDMI port on my TV that was previously used for my HD Cable box. Do I somehow need to tell my TV or the computer to send sound through this line?

I have a new HDMI wire that I am using. I downloaded the drivers from ATI and worked with Dell tech support to get this done. The sounds show up on the sound equalizer on the screen but nothing is coming through my TV's built-in speakers.

Does my TV have outdated HDMI hook-ups (as I saw that mentioned in some forum posts) that won't run sound?

Does anyone have a fix for this or any advice on how I can fix this? I thought it was a driver issue at first but since we downloaded those and got that working, I am starting to think it is a TV issue now. I could be wrong.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated. I am at a loss on how to fix this.

Thanks,
Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-21-2009, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Assuming you are using Vista. check the obvious first:

1. Make sure your PC has an hdmi sound card/driver. Dell sometimes does not ship with it. You can verify by looking at your sound hardware from control panel.

2. If yes to 1. Make it your default audio selection and configure it based on your TV speaker set up. If the TV does not support Dolby digital ot DTS, turn those options off. Also make sure you have checked the right sampling rate. The high def audio sound cards usually assume a connection to a system that supports HD audio, your TV may not.

2. If you have turned on the hdmi audio but in your tests you still don't hear audio then you probably need to reinstall the driver.

FWIW, I hate Dell computers when it comes to HTPC since their audio implementation is usually terrible.

I use hdmi video and audio with my HTPC.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-21-2009, 12:43 PM

Liked: 10
i had the same issue. not sure what i did but it came right on. try muting, then turn back up

i also have bravia and the dell studio
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page