I figured there will be many people interested in this new version and we should probably start an official thread.
I just bought this as an upgrade to my PDVD Ultra 7 version. Yes, you can install it along side PDVD7. I bought the upgrade so it only cost me 59.99.
i am running Vista 32, on an Intel DG45 mini-tix board. Using the onboard x4500 HD chip. Connected via HDMI to my Sammy 5265 LCD. SPDIF only.
- Interface is nice, similar to 8 although i only played with 8 initially.
- Seems the other "Extra" garbage in 8 is gone. The only thing still there is Moovielive which you dont have to accept and so far has only popped up once asking if i want to sign up.
- I think the PQ is better than PDVD7. Colors seems more accurate and darks are darker. I need to test this more.
- So far no compatability issues. Iron Man, Dark Knight, Black Hawk Down, Simpsons, all the Bournes work fine. The only issue i experienced was some weird artifacting in Iron Man. Its not there in 7.
- Like the new media center integration. You can now launch PDVD to play BRAY within media center and have access to all the settings, etc. (although will still need to mount with VCD or Daemon first unless your playing a disc) This has nice consequences for apps like MyMovies once they update that to launch the PDVD process within Media center. No longer need to launch a separate app. Again, no compatibility issues. Played all the same movies inside media center with no problem. However, you cant launch DVDs (not BRs) from your hard drive from within this app in media center. Looks like you would have had to launch it first within PDVD outside media center than you can go back and watch within media center. Or save all your DVDs as ISOs.
- The new DVD upconverting feature is nice. Has an FFDSHOW like affect. There is an option to split screen it so you can see how its working. Does not create alot of noise and artifacts and i thought it made Gladiator look very nice.
- Unfortunately, I have a 5.1 system and no HDMI inputs on my AVR so i cannot test all of those audio features that people are curious about. Sorry.
- ANYDVD HD works fine.
- Hardware acceleration works flawlessly with my Intel DG45 mini-itx board. When running HA, unfortunately you do not have access to the new PDVD TrueTheater settings.
Ill post some more once i do further testing.