"Official" PowerDVD Ultra 9 Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2862 Old 03-02-2009, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I figured there will be many people interested in this new version and we should probably start an official thread.

I just bought this as an upgrade to my PDVD Ultra 7 version. Yes, you can install it along side PDVD7. I bought the upgrade so it only cost me 59.99.

i am running Vista 32, on an Intel DG45 mini-tix board. Using the onboard x4500 HD chip. Connected via HDMI to my Sammy 5265 LCD. SPDIF only.

First impressions:
- Interface is nice, similar to 8 although i only played with 8 initially.
- Seems the other "Extra" garbage in 8 is gone. The only thing still there is Moovielive which you dont have to accept and so far has only popped up once asking if i want to sign up.
- I think the PQ is better than PDVD7. Colors seems more accurate and darks are darker. I need to test this more.
- So far no compatability issues. Iron Man, Dark Knight, Black Hawk Down, Simpsons, all the Bournes work fine. The only issue i experienced was some weird artifacting in Iron Man. Its not there in 7.
- Like the new media center integration. You can now launch PDVD to play BRAY within media center and have access to all the settings, etc. (although will still need to mount with VCD or Daemon first unless your playing a disc) This has nice consequences for apps like MyMovies once they update that to launch the PDVD process within Media center. No longer need to launch a separate app. Again, no compatibility issues. Played all the same movies inside media center with no problem. However, you cant launch DVDs (not BRs) from your hard drive from within this app in media center. Looks like you would have had to launch it first within PDVD outside media center than you can go back and watch within media center. Or save all your DVDs as ISOs.
- The new DVD upconverting feature is nice. Has an FFDSHOW like affect. There is an option to split screen it so you can see how its working. Does not create alot of noise and artifacts and i thought it made Gladiator look very nice.
- Unfortunately, I have a 5.1 system and no HDMI inputs on my AVR so i cannot test all of those audio features that people are curious about. Sorry.
- ANYDVD HD works fine.
- Hardware acceleration works flawlessly with my Intel DG45 mini-itx board. When running HA, unfortunately you do not have access to the new PDVD TrueTheater settings.

Ill post some more once i do further testing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2862 Old 03-02-2009, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Awesome, thanks for the review - I've also purchased this software, however, I have yet to install it - hopefully later tonight, I'm very interested in the upscaling of SD.
post #3 of 2862 Old 03-02-2009, 09:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I dont think there's going to be any difference between PowerDVD 9 and PowerDVD 8 for blu-ray playback; especially when it comes to colors, etc as they both rely on your PC's display adapter and respective directx video rendering.

It seems the only video enhancements made in PowerDVD 9 is for old generation DVDs.

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/mo...are_en_US.html

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #4 of 2862 Old 03-02-2009, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Just installed, already have an issue with Blu-Ray / region code issue. The upscaling and sharpening/smooth motion playback are pretty sweet, more to come.
post #5 of 2862 Old 03-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

All who have the BD Region issue. Open support tickets so that CL puts it on high priority.
post #6 of 2862 Old 03-02-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathbone View Post

All who have the BD Region issue. Open support tickets so that CL puts it on high priority.

For anyone who has this, amend MSCONFIG to disable "Load Start Up items", reboot and try it. If it works, another App may be causing it.

Through a process of elimination I found it doesn't like DVD Region Free.
post #7 of 2862 Old 03-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

I wonder if its an issue with slysoft anydvd HD, it's the only other app I have running.
post #8 of 2862 Old 03-02-2009, 12:55 PM

It might be me, but this version may just not be downsampling!

If you select 'Show information', on my copy of Saw IV it says the output is 24hz 48000HZ.

It doesn't however play the 7.1 the audio is encoded in, unlike previous versions. Apparently this will be an add in pack.
post #9 of 2862 Old 03-02-2009, 12:56 PM

It might be me, but this version may just not be downsampling!

If you select 'Show information', on my copy of Saw IV it says the output is 24hz 48000HZ.

It doesn't however play the 7.1 the audio is encoded in, unlike previous versions. Apparently this will be an add in pack.

I am using analogue connection btw
post #10 of 2862 Old 03-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

dropping the 7.1 is ridiculous, they need to add that, and where is the add-on pack?? Not yet available? Are you using vista or XP? I assume you mean 24 bit.
post #11 of 2862 Old 03-02-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulrider4ever View Post

dropping the 7.1 is ridiculous, they need to add that, and where is the add-on pack?? Not yet available? Are you using vista or XP? I assume you mean 24 bit.

Sorry yes 24bit

I am on Vista 64bit
post #12 of 2862 Old 03-02-2009, 01:30 PM

First Impressions (regarding the Audio part):

Setup: Vista 32, ATI 4870 - Catalyst 9.2, Realtek 2.13 for ATI, HDMI Connection with a Pioneer SC-LX 90 Susano receiver and 7.1 speakers.

I noticed also that the ‘’Show Info’’ now has more info regarding audio:

Actually it reports the original Audio Stream (ex DTS Master Audio 5.1 – Bitrate …) but also the ‘Output Stream’ which now seems not to be limited at 16/48 but at 24/48!

I tried an LPCM 24/96 track and the output stream was 24/48.

With a 16/48 track the output stream ‘remains’ 16/48 (so it seems that no ‘default upsampling’ is taking place also).

My main problem is that when setting powerdvd to decode multichannel audio streams to LPCM I am getting sound only from my 2 Front speakers!

Actually the output is not the stereo stream but it rather sounds like a ‘crazy’ mix of the original stream (ex. dialogues are coming only from the Front Right speaker).

With the same settings / drivers etc both PDVD 7 and 8 play fine (of course with the well known restrictions) all multi channel streams.

When checking speaker mapping from Vista everything is OK.

My receiver has 8 LEDs each one lighting up when the corresponding input channel is active and all of them light up when PDVD starts.

I also noticed that now, under Audio Settings, there is only the ‘USE HDMI’ option and not the options for ‘2-8 speakers’ (which were available in PDVD 7-8 versions and worked the same way as the ‘Use HDMI’ option in PDVD 8 (solving also btw the Rear – Side speaker mounting problems – totally different situation compared to the current one)).

I also noticed that, during playback, the Info tab shows my Sound Card ‘Realtek HDMI Multichannel Output’ but the status is ‘Not in Use’.

I re-checked / re-installed everything (also set Speaker config through Vista at 5.1) and I can only assume that the guys at Cyberlink worked their magic for one more time.

Anyone else with the same setup (ATI 5-7.1 LPCM) / problem? Any ideas?
post #13 of 2862 Old 03-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Well it still decodes TrueHD in full 7.1 (just tested Nightmare before Christmas), just not DTS-HD MA.
post #14 of 2862 Old 03-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Also that "Output" reading is buggy, it thinks TrueHD 16-bit tracks are 24-bit...
post #15 of 2862 Old 03-02-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDeadlyxX View Post

Well it still decodes TrueHD in full 7.1 (just tested Nightmare before Christmas), just not DTS-HD MA.

It makes sense.

I run several tests with PDVD 8 and concluded that DTS HD MA 7.1 decoding was broken and probably we where still being served good old DTS core.

It seems that now they are actually admitting the problem by removing DTS HD 7.1 from the specs.
post #16 of 2862 Old 03-02-2009, 02:02 PM

Arrrgh! I feel ripped off. I just upgraded to pdvd8 ultra on the 25th. They had nothing on there website about pdvd9 being released this week. So I sent this suppurt ticket, and hope they agree.

"I have recently upgraded to pdvd8 ultra. If I had known that pdvd9 ultra was going to be released so soon, I would have waited. Is there anyway to have my software version bumped up to pdvd9 ultra? I feel that information about the release date of pdvd9 should have been given during the purchase process."

We shall see I guess.
post #17 of 2862 Old 03-02-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcav View Post

It makes sense.

I run several tests with PDVD 8 and concluded that DTS HD MA 7.1 decoding was broken and probably we where still being served good old DTS core.

It seems that know they actually admitting the problem by removing DTS HD 7.1 from the specs.

I think it is still outputing it as DTS-HD MA 5.1 rather than 7.1. The difference in audio between DD and DTS-HD MA is extremely audible in Saw IV.
post #18 of 2862 Old 03-02-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz68 View Post

I think it is still outputing it as DTS-HD MA 5.1 rather than 7.1. The difference in audio between DD and DTS-HD MA is extremely audible in Saw IV.

I am afraid that is still DTS Core (i don't know if it is techically possible to extract only 5 of the 7 channels - it seems easier just to serve again dts core)
post #19 of 2862 Old 03-02-2009, 03:41 PM

Well after support solved my issue with the PDVD9 install I managed to also install the latest patch to PDVD8, which it turns out has the TrueTheater HD tech in it!!! My one reason for upgrading in the first place. One refund request later....
post #20 of 2862 Old 03-02-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:

For anyone who has this, amend MSCONFIG to disable "Load Start Up items", reboot and try it. If it works, another App may be causing it.

Through a process of elimination I found it doesn't like DVD Region Free.

Thanks.It works for me your trick.
post #21 of 2862 Old 03-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well after support solved my issue with the PDVD9 install I managed to also install the latest patch to PDVD8, which it turns out has the TrueTheater HD tech in it!!! My one reason for upgrading in the first place. One refund request later....

what did they do to fix it?

I submitted a ticket with them 9 hours ago, still no reply.
post #22 of 2862 Old 03-02-2009, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If that new DVD upscaling upscales to 1080p does it then take advantage of hardware acceleration when upscaled?

That is the one drawback to upscaling with ffdshow.
post #23 of 2862 Old 03-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

No, hardware accel must be disabled for it to work.... but the quality is better, if your cpu can handle it, use it.
post #24 of 2862 Old 03-02-2009, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

SO I am still getting that digital artifacting in pdvd9 that is not present in pdvd 7. I have attached an example.

Any ideas on what to check? Normally id say its the video card but odd that it does not do it in 7. Also, it occurs in the same places everytime when i close down and restart. Also the same length of time..

Like I said, im running a Intel DG45FC with the 1637 video drives and Bios 87.

Anyone else with this intel board (or the microatx version) running into this?
LL
post #25 of 2862 Old 03-02-2009, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

OK - My BDRegion code error has something to do with my HSMGR envoke startup command. It is related to my Asus D2X soundcard driver - cmedia related.

This seems to be related to emulating EAX for video games.
post #26 of 2862 Old 03-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not seeing artifacting in that screenie - or am I just blind...
post #27 of 2862 Old 03-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I like PDVD 9 a bit better than 8, however, there are some things that annoy me.

1) I no longer can select my own picture as a background, which leads me to
2) That damn Moovielive BS pops up after a few seconds of sitting idle, there's got to be someway to get this out of here.
3) If I play a BD then a SD DVD the hardware accel still is enabled so the TruTheatre motion, etc gets turned off. This makes me constantly have to check to make sure it's on - I can control it obviously, but it's annoying.

Some positive = it will play 48hz/24bit discs, which is awesome
The smooth motion is something that a lot of Sony and Samsung TV's are doing, so it's cool to see this implemented on DVD's - however it'd be nice to see it also available on BD content.
post #28 of 2862 Old 03-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Just installed PDVD9, so far disappointed. I cannot get get playback on my mounted .ISO. Everything works perfectly fine with PowerDVD 8, but for some strange reason not one movie I have tried thus far has been able to playback under PowerDVD 9. Maybe they completely eliminated the playback from virtual drive or something. Is anyone else experiencing this same issue?

By the way, I am using Windows XP SP3 with Slysoft VirtualClone.
post #29 of 2862 Old 03-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Really? I did the same, and didn't see the trutheatre are you sure?
post #30 of 2862 Old 03-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giza View Post

Just installed PDVD9, so far disappointed. I cannot get get playback on my mounted .ISO. Everything works perfectly fine with PowerDVD 8, but for some strange reason not one movie I have tried thus far has been able to playback under PowerDVD 9. Maybe they completely eliminated the playback from virtual drive or something. Is anyone else experencing this same issue?

No problem here, I have vista 32bit, clonedrive, anydvd HD
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page