Originally Posted by Axel
Does this mean it supports bitstreaming through the XONAR card, i.e. the ASUS OEM software is no longer the only one that works with this card?
Looks like it. The Xonar support was implemented by Arcsoft (with the work being partially funded by Asus). It's not too surprising that they now merge this into their own retail product.
Would this also include HD-DVD?
Well, let's first see if HD DVD is supported at all. If it's not, that's an instant "no sale" as far as I'm concerned.
For completeness' sake the other features marked as "new":
- Enhanced Blu-ray interactive features, including BD Profile 1.0, Bonus View and BD-Live [
weren't those already supported by version 2?]
- Direct playback from high-definition Camcorder
- Experience surround sound with two-channel output devices such as speakers
- Advanced video features such as HQV support, and Auto Enhance
- Popular internet HD video support – MKV
Looks a bit underwhelming to me. If the video quality is really improved as the second but last bullet seems to imply, that might be a reason to upgrade.