AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicj1 View Post

OK, done some more tests.
Using the DVI to HDMI cable through the Xonar proved more stable, but there was still Audio drop out. So I connected the HDMI directly to the NVIDIA GEFORCE 9400 E7AUM-DS2H. Running TMT in DTS, this was stable, I so far have not heard any Audio drop out. I then installed the MPC-HC with K-Lite Codec Pack, set the NVIDI HDMI out in the play back devices to 7.1, now on my AV I get PCM 3.2.1.2 and this is stable. smile.gif
Is the PCM 3.2.1.2 True HD?

Not exactly but kind of. Once you connect directly to the HDMI output from your motherboard and bypass the xonar, you are no longer capable of bitstreaming TrueHD. That's what the xonar is for, when you use the NVIDIA HDMI audio option in Control Panel -> Sound -> Playback then you are skipping the xonar sound card and using the motherboard's sound card.

The receiver no longer shows TrueHD because it is no longer decoding a trueHD stream, but that doesn't mean your receiving different sound quality. The lack of bitstreamed audio only means that the TrueHD or DTS-HD codecs are decoded before being passed on to the HDMI output. The decoding isn't done any better on your avr, because the conversion is a proprietary codec certified by either Dolby or DTS. As Audit13 said, check your sample rates to see if you're getting the decoded LPCM audio from the TrueHD or DTS-HD streams. In your BDMV structures, the hd audio streams still have the old 5.1 core within the same stream to allow playback when hd decoding isn't detected by the playback devices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3182 of 3195 Old 06-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post

Set up properly, MPC-HC can bitstream TrueHD or DTS-HD MA to your receiver. Does your receiver's display indicate the type of audio signal it is getting or the sample rate?
The TrueHD and DTS-HD MA sample rate, when converted to pcm, should match the sample rate received by your receiver.

My AVR only displays 'True HD' if that signal is received. I have decided, for now, I am going to enjoy 'steady' DTS

I will look into setting the MPC-HC to play True HD, though I think this may take a little working out....

Thanks for all the help smile.gif
post #3183 of 3195 Old 06-11-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

My AVR only displays 'True HD' if that signal is received. I have decided, for now, I am going to enjoy 'steady' DTS
I will look into setting the MPC-HC to play True HD, though I think this may take a little working out....

Sometimes the tinkering and learning can go too far. There comes a point when it is simply easier to throw money at the problem. In this case it is not a lot of money, a 5450/6450 sells for less than $20 here, I'm certain it will be in the same range over there.
You already have TMT, spend a few pounds and get a new card. It will be a decent upgrade over the on-board 9400 + the Xonar.
I have a 25' connection going from my AVR to a PJ and a friend has nearly 30'. How long of a distance do you have between your HTPC & AVR? You can buy a 50' or 100' HDMI cable with an equalizer.
It should solve your problems with dropouts.
post #3184 of 3195 Old 06-11-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent View Post

Sometimes the tinkering and learning can go too far. There comes a point when it is simply easier to throw money at the problem. In this case it is not a lot of money, a 5450/6450 sells for less than $20

Perhaps, and I would guess the Xonar could still fetch around 60-100 USD on ebay
post #3185 of 3195 Old 06-11-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Perhaps, and I would guess the Xonar could still fetch around 60-100 USD on ebay

Possibly, but personally, I would not get rid of it. It won't fetch a lot of money compared to its original purchase price. And it will be a good back-up to have. When my AVR went down, I hooked up Analog Outs to an Amp and was able to keep my HT going during the service period.
post #3186 of 3195 Old 06-11-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent View Post

Sometimes the tinkering and learning can go too far. There comes a point when it is simply easier to throw money at the problem. In this case it is not a lot of money, a 5450/6450 sells for less than $20 here, I'm certain it will be in the same range over there.
You already have TMT, spend a few pounds and get a new card. It will be a decent upgrade over the on-board 9400 + the Xonar.
I have a 25' connection going from my AVR to a PJ and a friend has nearly 30'. How long of a distance do you have between your HTPC & AVR? You can buy a 50' or 100' HDMI cable with an equalizer.
It should solve your problems with dropouts.

+1. Bitstreaming with TMT is a breeze using any 4xxx or 5xxx series card and the slim.

Quote:

Most movies I see have DTS-HD MA audio tracks rather than TrueHD.
post #3187 of 3195 Old 06-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Funnily enough I put my Xonar on ebay Sunday gone, and placed a bid on a ASUS Radeon HD 6450 last night. I had considered keeping the Xonar for back up, but I have a PCH and also a Sony BDP-S370, so figured it may never be used again.

Better someone else getting some use out of it.smile.gif

I am using a 60ft HDMI to CAT 5 extender.....
post #3188 of 3195 Old 06-22-2012, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quick update. The Xonar has gone, and I picked up a 5450. Played a scene were I kept getting audio drop out with the Xonar, this is not present with the 5450 smile.gif ..........But I need to play with the 5450 picture settings, as it seemed to judder slightly, may be this is being over processed?

So why would anyone buy the Xonar when the 5450 can be brought for so much less and do the same job?
post #3189 of 3195 Old 06-22-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

Quick update. The Xonar has gone, and I picked up a 5450. Played a scene were I kept getting audio drop out with the Xonar, this is not present with the 5450 smile.gif ..........But I need to play with the 5450 picture settings, as it seemed to judder slightly, may be this is being over processed?
So why would anyone buy the Xonar when the 5450 can be brought for so much less and do the same job?

I have the slim and a 5450. Why did I keep the slim in my pc? It worked with WinXP, Vista, and now Win 7. It was incredibly easy to get bitstreaming out of the box, it came with TMT3 which has played every BR rip I tried, and TMT3 has menu support.
post #3190 of 3195 Old 07-02-2012, 04:32 PM

Liked: 10
I am looking at improving this build:

Hardware:
  • Case: Zalman HD160XT +
  • PSU: Seasonic M12II -500
  • Motherboard: Asus P5K Premium
  • CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo, E8400, Wolfdale Core
  • CPU cooler: Scythe mini ninja
  • Memory: 2 x Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX (4 gig total)
  • A few Nexus Real Silent 80mm Fans
  • Graphics card: Palit 9600GT PCI-E
  • Hard Drive: Corsair M4 256GB SSD and some storage drives
  • Soundcard: Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 Slim
  • Media Drive: LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray / HD-DVD drive
  • Tuner card: Blackgold BGT3620
  • Keyboard and mouse: Logitech DiNovo Edge and Logitech MX Air

Software:
  • Windows 7 64bit
  • Mediabrowser
  • Metabrowser v2
  • TunerFreeMCE
  • Media Center Studio
  • Arcsoft TotalMediaTheatre 3
  • StarksCovers
  • Shark codecs

Other kit
  • Gefen DVI Detective: Gefen, LLC - DVI Detective Plus
  • Onkyo TX-SR605
  • Sony KDL40W3000 TV
  • QNAP TS-412 NAS
  • Logitech Harmony 1000

I store Blu-Ray structure rips, DVD rips, and a large assortment of other video and music files on the NAS and this is connected to the HTPC by a gigabit network. I stream HD Audio like DTS-HD from the Asus HDAV slim to my Onkyo amp. From there it goes out to the 5.1 speakers. I only rarely play games with this setup, its just too awkward from the sofa, so that requirement has faded into history really.

I have annoying problems with the Asus Xonar HDAV Slim card; it often locks up one of the CPU cores and runs it at 100% CPU, this seems to be driver related, but Asus have never fixed it. This problem means that sometimes my HTPC never sleeps.

I started looking into a new graphics card as I am aware that one can get protected audio path (PAP) from graphics cards too now. It is really important for me to keep HD audio bit streaming and for it to be reliable.

So it looked like I should get a graphics card to replace my aging Palit 9600GT PCI-E and Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 Slim in one go. Great, reduce power draw, one less card and less heat all round. Should make the PC quieter. I could even get a passively cooled graphics card and try to go really quiet. I'd need one of these grahics cards as far as I can work out:
  • nVidia GeForce 4** series: GT 420, GT 430, GT 440, GTS 450, GTX 460
  • nVidia GeForce 5** series: GT 520, GTX 550Ti, GTX 560, GTX 560Ti.
  • (I fell out with AMD cards a long time ago so I am not considering any, but ATI Radeon 5*** series: HD 5450, HD 5550, HD 5570, HD 5670 HD 5750, HD 5770, HD 5830, HD 5870, HD 5970 or ATI Radeon 6*** series: 6750, 6770, 6790, 6850, 6870, 6950, 6970, 6990 or ATI Radeon 7*** series: 7970, 7750 would work too)

Then I realised that by upgrading the motherboard I could use integrated grpahics in the CPU and not even need a separate graphics card or audio card. To do this I would need:
  • INTEL Platform Clarkdale: H55, H57.
  • INTEL Platform Sandybridge: H67, Z68. (Upcoming Ivybridge CPUs will be supported on H67 and Z68.)
  • INTEL upcoming Platform Ivy Bridge : H77, Z77.

But hang on! Really?

I can get a low power i3 for a Ivy Bridge motherboard using a H77 chipset, maybe some new RAM and get rid of my graphics card, audio card and still get HD audio bit streamed and a cooler, quieter HTPC? Really? Without spending half my weekend on forums trying to work out the issues? Really?

Does an H77 chipset really replace the hell of discrete Auzentech / Xonar sound cards and hand picked video cards, their drivers and all the rest of that mess? Really?

It sounds too good to be true. Who has experience of setting up an HTPC with an H77 chipset, mediabrowser, TMT and the usual suspects?

The only down side is that I should say goodbye to playing games, but I never really got comfortable doing that from my sofa anyway...

Denon X4000 | Monitor Audio RX6,RXW12,CT265-IDC,CT380-FX speakers | Samsung UE55ES7000 | Samsung UE32F6510 | HTPC with nVidia video card | Keene IRPRO4 IR amplifier and wands |
post #3191 of 3195 Old 12-15-2013, 03:32 PM

Can anyone confirm whether the Asus HDAV 1.3 Slim will bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio over HDMI when using JRiver Media Center?

Thanks

post #3192 of 3195 Old 12-15-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpBD10 View Post

Can anyone confirm whether the Asus HDAV 1.3 Slim will bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio over HDMI when using JRiver Media Center?
Thanks

While I can't confirm either way as I haven't used one, I have to ask why you'd want to use this card? Nearly every new graphics card available already supports bitstreaming as do modern intel and AMD chipsets. If you are heavily invested in an outdated chipset from intel or AMD, then a simple graphics switch should take care of it. If you are considering new, then go for a recent generation Intel/AMD build. This XONAR HDAV card filled a small niche for a very short time, and it's price isn't reasonable for the return given your other options
post #3193 of 3195 Old 12-15-2013, 03:45 PM

Good question, I will be using a new video card that should have full bitstream support for HD audio (GTX 780 Ti). However, I will need to use separate HDMI connections for my display and receiver because I have an issue with PC levels vs Video levels and cannot have the same HDMI display input calibrated for both (detailed in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1505749/having-both-pc-levels-and-video-levels-calibrated-without-constantly-changing-display-settings). I am considering buying this card if I can't find a HDMI splitter that works well enough.

post #3194 of 3195 Old 12-15-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 81
The Slim requires a PAP enabled video player (and specifically TMT). It can bitstream with standard players like MPC-HC by using TMT audio renderer, but I could never manage to make it work with J. River.

OTOH if you're looking for RGB levels with NVidia on your TV there are two very well-known solutions: setting a custom resolution or just hacking the driver installation by following the procedure outlined in the following thread:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/404796/geforce-drivers/xfx-gtx-295-problems-i-have-two-problems-main-one-being-black-levels-are-wrong/#entry1005774

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
post #3195 of 3195 Old 12-15-2013, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the response, I do have PC levels working for my HTPC but the problem is that I also use other video levels devices (PS3, Wii U, Pivos Aios media player) with the same AV receiver and display. If I calibrate the display input that is connected to the receiver output for one type of levels, it will be incorrect for the other type of levels. It seems that the only solution is to have separate HDMI cables for video and audio for my HTPC (and to simply connect the video levels devices the normal way with one cable to the receiver). This sound card would have been a potential workaround but apparently it won't be suitable.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page