*Official* Asus XONAR HDAV Slim Thread - Page 25 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3196 Old 06-27-2009, 01:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by myAV View Post

Devinleeds and El-ricardo,
I decided not to wait till Monday, instead I contacted both Richard Xu and Mr.Lai better known to everyone as "Yoyolai" on Asus forum over their cell phones a few minutes ago. They both told me that broken bitstreaming on Vista (SP2) is caused by the activation of some protective measures integrated into TMT.At the moment a new version of TMT3 for Both W7 and Vista is being designed, and the ETA will be the end of July according to Mr.Xu of Arcsoft,Taiwan.By the time it get released, every Xonar owner will get a copy for free, and the future versions of Xonar will be bundled with TMT3, So TMT2 will be gone forever. On behalf of Asus and Arcsoft,they both ask me to say "thank you" to every Xonar and TMT owner for their endless support and patience.

Side note:Asus is planning and designing new HDMI solutions for HTPC users in the coming monthes.( I ain't working for Asus or Arcsoft)

So I shouldn't rush to upgrade to v3 with the current coupon code... oh well got next day delivery anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3196 Old 06-27-2009, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ailean View Post

Ginger6, 18 in stock

Not used them before thou.

PS coupon for free delivery on there home page.

Cheers, will take a look.
post #723 of 3196 Old 06-27-2009, 04:47 AM

whatta great news

hope they can put an line-in at the rear this time

Quote:

I decided not to wait till Monday, instead I contacted both Richard Xu and Mr.Lai better known to everyone as "Yoyolai" on Asus forum over their cell phones a few minutes ago. They both told me that broken bitstreaming on Vista (SP2) is caused by the activation of some protective measures integrated into TMT.At the moment a new version of TMT3 for Both W7 and Vista is being designed, and the ETA will be the end of July according to Mr.Xu of Arcsoft,Taiwan.By the time it get released, every Xonar owner will get a copy for free, and the future versions of Xonar will be bundled with TMT3, So TMT2 will be gone forever. On behalf of Asus and Arcsoft,they both ask me to say "thank you" to every Xonar and TMT owner for their endless support and patience.

Side note:Asus is planning and designing new HDMI solutions for HTPC users in the coming monthes.( I ain't working for Asus or Arcsoft)

post #724 of 3196 Old 06-27-2009, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are you able to elaborate upon what specifically they have planned?
A successor to HDAV1.3 deluxe perhaps? T'would be sweet
post #725 of 3196 Old 06-27-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeleyes View Post

cheers, will take a look.

+1
post #726 of 3196 Old 06-27-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post

Not a clue just yet. I just heard the news today. But they will gradually emerge as time goes by.
post #727 of 3196 Old 06-27-2009, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can you ask them when, and if, the drivers/software will be fixed so that we don't have to switch modes manually to switch from optimum bit-streaming to optimum LPCM performance with channel matching???

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #728 of 3196 Old 06-27-2009, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Always thought that this whole HDAV concept was silly using is even more silly. Too many drivers involved without proper logic.

It took me a few hrs and having to remove Vista SP2 to have something working.

Now what is the proper setting for all drivers and TMT3 to get:

1)normal dts to bitstream over hdmi
2)dolby to bitstream over hdmi
3)LPCM to be unmolested (i can only get 96khz when I try to get 48Khz out)
4)WASAPI 5.1 96khz in player such as foobar

Setup is

ati4670 with vista sp2 tmt3 version 1.33 and latest driver from asus.

To avoid frustration for lots of peoples someone as to post a set of clear receipes.
post #729 of 3196 Old 06-27-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolstoi View Post

Always thought that this whole HDAV concept was silly using is even more silly. Too many drivers involved without proper logic.

Setup is

To avoid frustration for lots of peoples someone as to post a set of clear receipes.

I would also appreciate help in getting the HDAV1.3 to work this way if possible.

Thanks,
Mark
post #730 of 3196 Old 06-27-2009, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post

I bet it will be an integrated audio/video card.
post #731 of 3196 Old 06-27-2009, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Looks like bad news on the upgrade to TMT3 option. It seems lArcSoft left out the upgrade option by mistake on the OEM TMT 2 version included with the Slim. Not sure how to get it with the coupon discount since it can't be done through TMT 2 or your ArcSoft account. Here is ArcSoft's response to my inquiry.

Quote:

...Everything looks correct there and TMT3 should be showing up on on your My Upgrade Center list but it clearly is not. I have alerted the Web team about the issue.

If you contact telephone customer service and explain the issue it is possible they will be able to assist in the interrim until the more general issue is resolved.

Anyone willing to try the phone option and post results?
post #732 of 3196 Old 06-27-2009, 12:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks for asking so quickly. The Thermidia issue??

So this means, make sure you register your Xonar with ASUS.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #733 of 3196 Old 06-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Setup is

This was posted just a page or two back:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1139547

Everything has been working great for me on Win 7 and Vista SP1. Couldn't be happier with this card.
post #734 of 3196 Old 06-27-2009, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Heads up for everyone that might not have bitstream working... You have to make sure that "PCM" is checked on the Sound Card Mode tab even though you will have the HDMI tab selected. This got me last night for a good 30 minutes.

Credit goes to Davinleeds who posted this on the Asus boards.
post #735 of 3196 Old 06-27-2009, 02:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

William,

This last post, activates my ASUS.128, well see. Suppose to return via email.
http://www.arcsoft.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2297

Thanks toothless.

post #736 of 3196 Old 06-27-2009, 02:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkgriffin View Post

Heads up for everyone that might not have bitstream working... You have to make sure that "PCM" is checked on the S/PDIF tab even though you will have the HDMI tab selected. This got me last night for a good 30 minutes.

Credit goes to Davinleeds who posted this on the Asus boards.

Yes, me too. I kept unchecking it, wondering why, PCM always meant 2 channel until now. I even checked AVR settings. But this slim is sweet, I'm liking the no power connection.

post #737 of 3196 Old 06-27-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Everything has been working great for me on Win 7 and Vista SP1. Couldn't be happier with this card.

Yes I read completely through that, but I cannot get any sound unless I have speakers (not digital HDMI) set as default in Vista and I can't get DD or DTS to decode on the receiver. I can get DTS master and Tru-HD though.

Mark
post #738 of 3196 Old 06-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
To get DD or DTS to bitstream try setting Digital Device as default.
post #739 of 3196 Old 06-27-2009, 02:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Generally: True HD/DTS Mstr = Speakers

DD/DTS bitstreaming = Digital Device.

And that's not absolute. This is why auto switching is being requested, along with auto bitrate.

post #740 of 3196 Old 06-27-2009, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I already found that post yesterday and this is how I managed to have WASAPI to work in Foobar. Though it is only working for 2channels.

Now the bad thing is to have to have this option checked to get it to work. Also everytime I go check if it is selected, the hdmi speaker selection is resetted to 2 channels. This is none sense.
post #741 of 3196 Old 06-27-2009, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I already found that post yesterday and this is how I managed to have WASAPI to work in Foobar. Though it is only working for 2channels.

That's because, for the nth time, "digital device" is only S/PDIF. If you want decoded multichannel to work across Windows, you'll need to select the "speakers" option in Vista. WASAPI exclusive will still work when you use that, it will bypass the Vista mixer, but it will not bypass the Xonar driver. You'll have to manually select what you want.

People are only getting DD/DTS passthrough if selecting "digital device" in Vista playback devices, only because their players can't select it directly. This may happen with Windows Media Center, and possibly with TMT3, though I don't remember having a problem with that. You might have to select the S/PDIF option in TMT3 instead of HDMI, maybe that'll work.
post #742 of 3196 Old 06-27-2009, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Lets clarify the whole thing. In vista the slim come with 2 drivers one call speakers the second one called S/PDIF Pass-through Device.

S/PDIF Pass-through Device the only thing to set up here is the format supported by receiver. It is clear that from the test tab that this only related to stereo playback. This is the driver that i am using through foobar to get WASAPI but it is also limited to 2 channels.

The only to get general audio in geenral application such as internet explorer is to speakers driver as the default device. Is this acurate? In this diver the only that could be and should be done is to set speaker config 5.1 in my case.

than there is the asus control panel

On the hdmi tab 6 channels, pcm96, speakers 5.1,
On the sound card tap, 6 channels, pcm96, speakers 2, spdif is set to pcm
everything else (dsp etc...) all disable.

Is this the right set parameters for everything asus side?
post #743 of 3196 Old 06-27-2009, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

That's because, for the nth time, "digital device" is only S/PDIF. If you want decoded multichannel to work across Windows, you'll need to select the "speakers" option in Vista. WASAPI exclusive will still work when you use that, it will bypass the Vista mixer, but it will not bypass the Xonar driver. You'll have to manually select what you want.

People are only getting DD/DTS passthrough if selecting "digital device" in Vista playback devices, only because their players can't select it directly. This may happen with Windows Media Center, and possibly with TMT3, though I don't remember having a problem with that. You might have to select the S/PDIF option in TMT3 instead of HDMI, maybe that'll work.

What is confusing is that if I pick in foobar the WASAPI Speakers driver I get 96 khz while playing 44.1. In the meantime if i use WASAPI spdif driver I get 44.1Khz.

In both i am bypassing the Vista mixer. What is the difference on the asus side?
post #744 of 3196 Old 06-27-2009, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

In conclusion to get the receiver to show lpcm at 48Khz for bd or cd playback at 44.1Khz we need to set asus hdmi panel at source material that we are currently listening. Is this the right conclusion?
post #745 of 3196 Old 06-27-2009, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm going to assume this works pretty much the same as the HDAV 1.3, as everything I've read so far indicates so.

The way that seems to conform to what most users are seeing is this. I also tested for this scenario and it does look like it's the right one. There are 3 devices actually, but only two (speakers and digital device) are visible by Windows and other programs that are not TMT.

The "digital device" is S/PDIF and will behave as any other S/PDIF device. The "speakers" device acts like a regular analog device, and indeed if you're using the HDAV 1.3 deluxe, it will control the analog part. The third device, the actual HDMI one, grabs the digital stream from both devices (before the DAC with the "analog" one) and is controllable only by the Xonar CP. Since the "speakers" option behaves like an analog device, if you select that as default in Windows, you lose the ability to bitstream anything, but only with players that don't let you choose S/PDIF output in their options, like sometimes happens with Media Center.

Asus TMT and TMT3 have the ability to access the HDMI device directly, thus when they do, it doesn't matter which device you have as default in Windows.

Wasapi exclusive in foobar2000 and others will still work, but since it can't see the HDMI device, it will have to work with either of the 2 devices it does see. If you have it work with the "speakers" device, it won't auto switch because multichannel LCPM is not passed untouched through the HDMI device and it's at the mercy of the Xonar CP. It will still work by bypassing the Vista mixer. You can test this by changing the sampling rates in the Vista playback device options to something obvious like 16000 Hz. It won't have an effect if you're using WASAPI exclusive with that device. Or just try to play something else at the same time, it probably won't work since it's being used exclusively by your first program with WASAPI-exclusive mode.

If you have WASAPI-exclusive use the "digital device", you'll only get S/PDIF sound, so 2-channels of 16/48 is the max you'd get. Auto switching will work because S/PDIF sound is passed through untouched through the HDMI device. That's also why you can do DD/DTS bitstream with this.
post #746 of 3196 Old 06-27-2009, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In conclusion to get the receiver to show lpcm at 48Khz for bd or cd playback at 44.1Khz we need to set asus hdmi panel at source material that we are currently listening. Is this the right conclusion?

If you're only listening to CDs and stereo 48kHz music, then you can use WASAPI exclusive with the "digital device" (foobar will let you choose this regardless of the Vista default playback device).
post #747 of 3196 Old 06-27-2009, 03:56 PM

Liked: 152
Several months to make a working hardware/software combo?

I am no longer going to bother with bitstreaming. Just not worth it. If it takes months to fix an issue which should have been detected and fixed long ago, then I no longer want to play in that realm.

Too bad, it sounds like it would have been great, had it worked.
post #748 of 3196 Old 06-27-2009, 04:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

In XP I have not gotten DD or DTS passthrough. DD and DTS of course. True HD and DTS Master no problem. Got to look at the pdf's again.

post #749 of 3196 Old 06-28-2009, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post

There are some strange things about the Divertimenti disc. First off the DTS-MA track shows up as 96 Khz on every receiver I have ever heard of. Apparently, most receivers will not play multi-channel DTS-MA above 96 Khz. I am not sure if the actual track is 96 Khz or if the receiver is somehow converting it. However, my Yamaha RX-V663 shows the exact same 96 Khz for that track.

It is really strange; Disc Booklet, BDInfo, TMT = all say "192 kHz" however my Denon says 96 kHz.

Quote:
The Divertimenti disc has some audio problems. You have to play the disc in a specific order for the Dolby Digital and PCM tracks to play correctly. I think the order was play the DD-THD track, then play the DD track, then play the PCM track but I haven’t tried the PCM track in a long time.
In any event if you get the 192 Khz 24 Bit to show up for the DD-THD track then that is as good as it will get. That is the only track I use on that disc.

My Denon unfortunately cannot show the bitrate - only sampling frequency so what I see when sending there TrueHD is just "192 kHz". Are you sure it's 24 bit? Although Booklet says "192/24" BDInfo says "192/16".

Quote:
Where did you get your N2L discs from anyway?

http://www.mamut.net/lindberglyd/shop/
post #750 of 3196 Old 06-28-2009, 04:27 AM

So a short update for all of you.
I upgraded to TMT3 Platinum and now everything works fine even in my Vista 64-bit Enterprise SP1. I say "fine" because it's still not perfect nevertheless there is a new update patch coming very soon so I'll wait until then.
It is obvious that (at least on my system) the reason why Xonar worked so badly in Vista is the included TMT2 Asus edition because once upgraded to TMT3 (e.g. no other change) Xonar works fine.

I just set "S/PDIF Pass-through" as the default device in Vista, then "6 channels" "96 kHz" "6 speakers" in Xonar panel, TMT audio output set to "HDMI pass-through" = TMT3 handles all the bit-streaming formats (DD, DTS, TrueHD, DTS-HD MA) and LPCM correctly (5.1 content goes to all my 5 speakers, 2.0 goes only to my front stereo speakers). The only time I need to touch the system is when playing back Blu-ray just after DVD because for some reason TMT sets its audio output to "S/PDIF" when playing DVD (in that moment there is no "HDMI pass-through" available at all) and when it plays Blu-ray after that the output stays on "S/PDIF" (this way you get only DTS or DD core from the HD audio streams) and it is necessary to change it back to "HDMI pass-through" manually.

I also tried my J. River Media Center with its latest version 13.0.171 via WASAPI output (exclusive) and everything works fine. I tried MP3 (44,1), FLAC (Divertimenti test files 24/48 and 24/96, stereo and 5.1) and in all cases I get appropriate speaker configuration (e.g. 2 vs 5) and sampling frequency (44,1 / 48 / 96).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page