x264.exe crashes driving me insane...help!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 03-21-2009, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I've got an issue with x264 that I cant solve.

I am trying to backup and reencode to 720p some blurays I own and what ever program I choose to help me with this (Megui, BD_Rebuilder, RipBot) they ALL crash with exactly the same error when x264.exe is supposed to start:

"x264.exe has stopped working", close the program...

The odd thing is that each of the above programs have their own seperate x264.exe to use in their own directory structure.

I have tried the following to solve this to no avail:

- updated each program to the latest versions
- updated x264.exe to the latest version - same error
- shusdown all AV and frewall programs and anything else uing - same error
- installed latest Haali, FFDShow

For some reason x264.exe continues to crash.

Please help me as I have barely any hair left
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-21-2009, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Since H.264 compresses to smaller files why are recoding 1080p/24 H.264 files to 720p/60 files since the files are probably larger and contain 1/2 the detail of the h.264 files?
If you have multipl x264.exe files on your comnputer you might termprorary rename the ones that you think are not being used to be sure of the one that is faulting.
post #3 of 23 Old 03-21-2009, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffa001 View Post

For some reason x264.exe continues to crash.

What type of CPU are you using? My inclination was to suggest that the particular build of x264 that you were using was incompatible with your CPU, but since you've tried several programs (each of which btw uses different builds and different versions of x264) I guess that's not the case.

The most likely reason for the crashing is that your PC does not have the DECODER necessary to feed x264 a proper input stream. What discs have you tried so far? And how are they encoded (h264, VC-1, or MPEG2)?
post #4 of 23 Old 03-21-2009, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replies and help offered

Quote:

If you have multipl x264.exe files on your comnputer you might termprorary rename the ones that you think are not being used to be sure of the one that is faulting.

they are all faulty unfortunately - see comment below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

What type of CPU are you using? My inclination was to suggest that the particular build of x264 that you were using was incompatible with your CPU, but since you've tried several programs (each of which btw uses different builds and different versions of x264) I guess that's not the case.

The most likely reason for the crashing is that your PC does not have the DECODER necessary to feed x264 a proper input stream. What discs have you tried so far? And how are they encoded (h264, VC-1, or MPEG2)?

I'm using a Dual AMD BE-2350 2.10 ghz.

I've tried Tinman, Xfiles 2, Wall-E and I cant remember the other! From what I can see they cover the different types of encoders?

Do I not already have the decoders as I can happily play each of these discs?

When you say I dont have the decoders necessary what would I do to fix this?
post #5 of 23 Old 03-21-2009, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

All of the decoder you have are decoding the compressed and encoded h.264 content to decoded 1080p/24 or 1080i/60 frame images so they can be passed to a display.
You need to check the documentation of conversion programs you are trying to use to find out what the standards are for the files that will accept for input to their converison program. I suspect that they may want the encoded h.264 file and not the decoded video format.
I am still curious as to why you want to downscale 1080p/24 or 1080i/60 H.264 files to larger 720p/60 MPEG2 files with 1/2 the resolution.
post #6 of 23 Old 03-21-2009, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

You need to check the documentation of conversion programs you are trying to use to find out what the standards are for the files that will accept for input to their converison program. I suspect that they may want the encoded h.264 file and not the decoded video format.

each program will accept either straight from the bluray, a ripped blueray iso or the m2ts file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

I am still curious as to why you want to downscale 1080p/24 or 1080i/60 H.264 files to larger 720p/60 MPEG2 files with 1/2 the resolution.

who mentioned mpeg2, just want to end up with a 720p mkv file with the DtS sound.
post #7 of 23 Old 03-21-2009, 02:04 PM

are u using a 64bit os?
post #8 of 23 Old 03-21-2009, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr007 View Post

are u using a 64bit os?

nope, Vista 32bit
post #9 of 23 Old 03-21-2009, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you tried looking through this guide? It might help get rid of a lot of clutter with all those programs you have loaded.
post #10 of 23 Old 03-21-2009, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWikiera View Post

Have you tried looking through this guide? It might help get rid of a lot of clutter with all those programs you have loaded.

Yes I've read that guide, in that guide at

GUIDE 3: RE_COMPRESSION OF 1080p MTERIAL TO 720p WITH MEDIUM AND HIGH QUALITY SETTINGS.

it says "First extract the x264 encoder to a folder of your choice and then open up graphedit."....I can guarantee that this will fail as all the other programs have with x264.exe.

But the programs I listed above, although some being beta are easier one click (almost one!) solutions.

But its the fact that each and everyone, each with their own x264.exe all crash when x264.exe is called into action.

So why oh why does my PC hate x264.exe so much - something must be causing it and I must not be the only one in the world, or even on this wonderful forum, who has had this problem before!
post #11 of 23 Old 03-21-2009, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes I've read that guide, in that guide at

GUIDE 3: RE_COMPRESSION OF 1080p MTERIAL TO 720p WITH MEDIUM AND HIGH QUALITY SETTINGS.

it says "First extract the x264 encoder to a folder of your choice and then open up graphedit."....I can guarantee that this will fail as all the other programs have with x264.exe.

But the programs I listed above, although some being beta are easier one click (almost one!) solutions.

But its the fact that each and everyone, each with their own x264.exe all crash when x264.exe is called into action.

So why oh why does my PC hate x264.exe so much - something must be causing it and I must not be the only one in the world, or even on this wonderful forum, who has had this problem before!

Are you using the encoder from the guide? How can you guarantee it won't work if you don't remove all the other programs and try it. You want it easy and it's not going to happen yet.
post #12 of 23 Old 03-21-2009, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWikiera View Post

Are you using the encoder from the guide? How can you guarantee it won't work if you don't remove all the other programs and try it. You want it easy and it's not going to happen yet.

it's worth a try but it seems odd that plenty of other people can use the aforementioned programs with nary a problem, but as I keep saying, I get exactly the same problem with each and every one of them in the x264.exe crash....

to me this points to some problem with my PC and x264.exe, but who knows??
post #13 of 23 Old 03-21-2009, 07:09 PM

Liked: 11
Do you have success before but crash lately with the same method? I have seen x264 crash but can't remember which program I was using and believe it has something to do with the source video file.

Normally I use MediaCoder to downsize video (demux from Tsmuxer) to mp4 (video only), then remux with ac3 audio using Mkvmerge, adding chapters and subtitles to make the final mkv.

The last two I tried failed with the above method. MediaCoder just crash. They are old Warner titles with profile Advance@3 if that makes a difference.

Last night I tried Eac3to (convert demux video vc1 to mkv) and Ripbot (downsize mkv to mp4), then remux the mp4 with ac3 with Mkvmerge successfully. Worth a try.
post #14 of 23 Old 03-21-2009, 09:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

who mentioned mpeg2, just want to end up with a 720p mkv file with the DtS sound.

In the US 720p encoded files are assumed to be MPEG2 files as defined by the US ATSC resolution standards but of course are not when decoded.

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ISSUES/what_is_ATSC.html

I realize that they are possible since they were considered for the European DTS2 standard which ended up using 1080i H.264.

In any case the contain half the detail of 1080p/24 or 1080i/60 files which is why I wonder why you want to convert to them.
post #15 of 23 Old 03-22-2009, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterho3 View Post

Do you have success before but crash lately with the same method? I have seen x264 crash but can't remember which program I was using and believe it has something to do with the source video file.

nope, x264.exe has always crashed for me.

Quote:

Normally I use MediaCoder to downsize video (demux from Tsmuxer) to mp4 (video only), then remux with ac3 audio using Mkvmerge, adding chapters and subtitles to make the final mkv.

The last two I tried failed with the above method. MediaCoder just crash. They are old Warner titles with profile Advance@3 if that makes a difference.

Last night I tried Eac3to (convert demux video vc1 to mkv) and Ripbot (downsize mkv to mp4), then remux the mp4 with ac3 with Mkvmerge successfully. Worth a try.

Already tried Ripbot - as you will see above, any program that uses x264.exe to convert the file crashes..

I will try MediaCoder, can you tell me if it uses x264.exe at all to convert to h264? Just noticed it offers a 720p avi options that I guess will not use x264.exe which may solve my problem!!!! Will report back.

UPDATE - well, it seems that MediaCoder may be the answer to my problem, I hope! As it stand I've followed the guide outlined here entitled HOW TO: Rip Blu Rays to 720p DivX's or H.264's. My thinking was that if it crashed using x264.exe whilst making an mkv I could just use the DivX settings instead.

But I have succesfully encoded a 5 minute segment of Wall-E to a 720p mkv with the core DTS audio intact!!! Wow! I am now in the process of cpnverting the whole film and will know in 360 minutes if it has worked ok - will report back
post #16 of 23 Old 03-23-2009, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

well, after a lot longer than 360 minutes (that was for pass 1 !!) it finished with the error "no output file"....doh.

So even though the program managed a 5 minute segment ok it balked at the whole film, just my luck. So I've set it up again and will let it run and see what happens this time...at least no x264.exe crashes with this program.

If I can work out why that would be worth knowing
post #17 of 23 Old 03-23-2009, 06:25 PM

I have tried avi before and suppose it has a file size limit (is it 2GB or 4G?) and not playable if any bigger. A 1GB file works fine but of course quality is poor.

My method of success is slightly different to the guide. It is a good idea to convert Video only and uncheck Enable Audio in MediaCoder. Also MP4 seems to work better with less crashing. Choose Demux in Tsmuxer to get your seperate Video and Audio file instead of one TS.

Individual Audio, Chapters and Subtitles files can be had from HDBRStreamExtractor. Then you can use Mkvmerge to mux everything back to your final mkv.
post #18 of 23 Old 03-24-2009, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

think I will have to try that as I've just had a 2nd "no file is outputed" error with 144mins to go...grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
post #19 of 23 Old 03-25-2009, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My method of success is slightly different to the guide. It is a good idea to convert Video only and uncheck Enable Audio in MediaCoder. Also MP4 seems to work better with less crashing. Choose Demux in Tsmuxer to get your seperate Video and Audio file instead of one TS.

Individual Audio, Chapters and Subtitles files can be had from HDBRStreamExtractor. Then you can use Mkvmerge to mux everything back to your final mkv.

ok a question.

When I follow your advice here and click "start" in MediaCoder, the statistics box pops out a tthe side but it only shows "time elapsed" in the TASK STATS at the top and only "time elapsed" in the OUTPUT STATS at the bottom....

...whereas when I do a full mt2s convert to either mp4 or mkv with the sound just being copied it shows all sorts of extra info like "time remaining", "position", frames, speed, throughput, raw video data.

Is that normal or does that mean when I copy your settings I am doing something wrong? Thanks for the answer as I dont want to do ityour way for days and have no file at the end!!
post #20 of 23 Old 03-25-2009, 09:18 AM

Mine also shows nothing on the right panel only time if the source is a direct video demux from tsmuxer. You can always click "Display encoding frame" under Picture to check your progress.

I also have seen many "no file output" before and excusable for a free program. The combination I am using seems to give a pretty good chance of success but you can see in my previous post I have failed too and use Ripbot as an alternative instead. It took about 6 hours for a 2 pass encode with my C2D 2.66 machine. Adding all the ripping and muxing should be done under 10 hours. Good luck.
post #21 of 23 Old 03-25-2009, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

ok, now I know that the lack of info in the stats is normal I will carry one.

Quote:

You can always click "Display encoding frame" under Picture to check your progress.

Yep - stuff is goiong on!

Another odd thing is the lack of any files in the working directory I set up, apart from a .log file & a .temp. Seems strange? What files do you have in the working directory?

Quote:

The combination I am using seems to give a pretty good chance of success but you can see in my previous post I have failed too and use Ripbot as an alternative instead.

Tried it and as you can see in my original post, x264.exe crashed..! So far MediaCoder is the only program to have managed anything for me. (Well, the most I have is a 5 min working file and a lot of crashes on the full film, but here we go again....)
post #22 of 23 Old 03-26-2009, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

ok an update

1) Seperated Video from audio and ripped dts-core with TSmuxer and left with an .264 video file and a .dts audio file

2) Used MediCoder to covert video only to MP4 1280x720 - worked a ok, yay!

3) Used MKVMerge to join the MP4 and DTS files, worked ok......ish!

4) File plays but audio is out of sync by about 1/2 second all the way through.

It was hard to spot in Wall-E as there is hardly any talking (with mouths moving) for 1/2 the film and most special effects sounds seemed to be ok, but no, it's out of sync.

What did I do wrong?
post #23 of 23 Old 03-26-2009, 07:59 AM

Glad you make it this far. I also have the audio sync problem and it is a mystery to me too. Normally I will test before running MKVMERGE using MPC. Guess and type your (+/-) audio time shift under Audio Switcher (1000ms = 1 sec.) until you get the correct number. I have to disable Reclock to make the above work. Type that number into MKVMERGE when you highlight the audio track (DELAY under FORMAT SPECIFIC OPTION) and mux your final mkv. You can also do the same with your finished mkv to correct audio sync.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page