MPC-HC for DVD & Blu ray playback - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 45 Old 07-07-2009, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The 9400 GT will do fine for the office/headphones pc (only 30 bucks) - But yes, I am planning on going ati (prob 4000 series) for the new htpc I'll be connecting to the big screen.. Next step is to start scouring the forums looking for information on doing hdmi audio (dts master/truehd) from the ATI to an onkyo 606... From very preliminary reading, it seems that the ati won't just pass along dts master/truehd and let my onkyo decode it, rather there may be some conversion along the way.. but that's for another thread, and for me to research. thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 07-07-2009, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
This is interesting.
I wonder if this is really an nVidia vs ATI issue or really just an issue with DXVA itself.

I got curious, so I ran some testing last night using my notebook's igp, Intel X4500MHD. All 3 HD test movies were ripped with ClownBD to BD folder structure.

Quantum of Solace (BD) AVC
Batman Dark Knight (BD) VC-1
Chronicles of Riddick (HD-DVD) VC-1 (converted to BD structure with ClownBD)

MPC-HC latest SVN build 1.2.1164.0

The only movie that MPC-HC could play with DXVA hw acceleration was Quantum of Solace at 10% cpu. The other 2 ran the CPU at 50-60% and DXVA was not available.

TMT3 v3.0.1.133

Conversely, TMT3 played all 3 of these movies from the same folders with full hardware acceleration on the Intel X4500MHD IGP, cpu at +/-10%.

Leads me to think the issue is with DXVA and not the the GPUs, but I'm no expert in this area. Unfortunately, I don't have an nVidia gpu to test with.
post #33 of 45 Old 07-07-2009, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
MPC-HC doesn't yet support VC-1 bitstream decoding on Intel since Intel does not use DXVA standard interfaces, it requires Intel to work with MPC-HC's dev to get it to work, same with H.264.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blog...o-and-h264avc/

Quote:

Thanks for the comment. Yes, I'll be working on VC1/dxva next

It worked on TMT3 because Intel gave them the info needed to implement VC-1 bitstream decoding earlier under NDA. It took a long time before Intel changed their mind and helped add H.264 bitstream decoding support to MPC-HC.

Nvidia and ATI uses standard Microsoft DXVA interfaces and making H.264 and VC-1 bitstream decoding work on those hardware is much much easier.
post #34 of 45 Old 07-07-2009, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGT View Post

MPC-HC doesn't yet support VC-1 bitstream decoding on Intel since Intel does not use DXVA standard interfaces, it requires Intel to work with MPC-HC's dev to get it to work, same with H.264.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blog...o-and-h264avc/

It worked on TMT3 because Intel gave them the info needed to implement VC-1 bitstream decoding earlier under NDA. It took a long time before Intel changed their mind and helped add H.264 bitstream decoding support to MPC-HC.

Nvidia and ATI uses standard Microsoft DXVA interfaces and making H.264 and VC-1 bitstream decoding work on those hardware is much much easier.

Thanks HD, makes sense why H264 is working with DXVA and not VC-1.

At least with TMT3 they both work in hw, so I'm good there. I suppose Intel will get VC-1 sorted out with the MPC crew eventually.

Is there any concern that ATI fails to decode L5.0 / L5.1 high profile AVC video in DXVA mode, where nVidia can decode it ?

I ask because I'm looking at building a new HTPC and trying to decide on what GPU to go with. Obviously an IGP would be a simpler integrated solution and I'm leaning towards the n9400 IGP, but not sure if this is the right choice. The opinions seems to change almost weekly on this.
post #35 of 45 Old 07-07-2009, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The obvious choice is the Nvidia Geforce 9400 chipset, isn't it? Full H.264, VC-1 and MPEG2(MPC-HC doesn't support MPEG2 bitstream decoding yet, sadly) bitstream decoding support, 7.1 channel LPCM support, decodes L5.1 profile H.264 encodes with full hardware acceleration with the latest drivers.

Although if the new 40nm Nvidia GPUs do have VP3 in them and have full bitstream decoding for VC-1 and MPEG2 in addition to H.264 as well a 7.1 LPCM support, then those will be even better choices than any ATI HD4xxx card since all the Nvidia GPUs from the lowly G86 8400GS up to the latest GPUs all can do L5.1 profile H.264 encode decoding with full hardware acceleration.
post #36 of 45 Old 07-07-2009, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGT View Post

The obvious choice is the Nvidia Geforce 9400 chipset, isn't it? Full H.264, VC-1 and MPEG2(MPC-HC doesn't support MPEG2 bitstream decoding yet, sadly) bitstream decoding support, 7.1 channel LPCM support, decodes L5.1 profile H.264 encodes with full hardware acceleration with the latest drivers.

Although if the new 40nm Nvidia GPUs do have VP3 in them and have full bitstream decoding for VC-1 and MPEG2 in addition to H.264 as well a 7.1 LPCM support, then those will be even better choices than any ATI HD4xxx card since all the Nvidia GPUs from the lowly G86 8400GS up to the latest GPUs all can do L5.1 profile H.264 encode decoding with full hardware acceleration.

Thanks again, in this case what would be (if any) advantage of going with an ATI HD4xxx GPU instead of the 9400 igp ?
post #37 of 45 Old 07-07-2009, 02:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 327
HDMI audio in HD 4xxx is better than NVIDIA. 1080i video playback is better with HD 4670 than any IGP.
post #38 of 45 Old 07-07-2009, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

HDMI audio in HD 4xxx is better than NVIDIA. 1080i video playback is better with HD 4670 than any IGP.

rene, thanks for your advice.

I was under the impression that 9300/9400 IGP have HDMI audio controller and support multichannel LPCM/DD/DTS same as ATI HD4xxx.

I can be easily be convinced to switch to mATX G45/ATI HD4xxx instead of 9400 igp. Just need to understand what if any real advantages.

So I suppose I should ask in what sense is HDMI audio "better" in this case ?

ATI can't decode L5.0 / L5.1 high profile AVC video in DXVA mode. How important is this ?
post #39 of 45 Old 07-08-2009, 02:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

NVIDIA HDMI suffers from the so-called 'silent stream issue' (when playback starts, about 1 second of audio is truncated). Several people reported non-support for 44.1 kHz, as well as 88.2 kHz and 176.4 kHz (these are important when playing music in KS/WASAPI exclusive mode).

MKV files with High Profile@level 5.0/5.1 are created by people ignorant of the DXVA-profile/level relation and available mainly via P2P file sharing(?). Then it depends on each user how important it is.
post #40 of 45 Old 07-08-2009, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

NVIDIA HDMI suffers from the so-called 'silent stream issue' (when playback starts, about 1 second of audio is truncated). Several people reported non-support for 44.1 kHz, as well as 88.2 kHz and 176.4 kHz (these are important when playing music in KS/WASAPI exclusive mode).

MKV files with High Profile@level 5.0/5.1 are created by people ignorant of the DXVA-profile/level relation and available mainly via P2P file sharing(?). Then it depends on each user how important it is.

Thank you again, these are good things to be aware of.

Would most/all of these audio issues be resolved by adding a Xonar Slim with the 9400 igp ?
post #41 of 45 Old 07-08-2009, 05:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiBz View Post

Would most/all of these audio issues be resolved by adding a Xonar Slim with the 9400 igp ?

Yes of course.
post #42 of 45 Old 01-13-2010, 12:02 PM

So how are people finding MPC-HC for playing the m2ts file straight of a BR disc these days? I've tried it with a few discs, most of them run very unstable, using FFDShow for the audio, MPC-HC's builtin DXVA decoder.
post #43 of 45 Old 01-13-2010, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

It has worked OK for me. Seeking is not very fast and usually causes noticeable audio corruption and stutter for a while, as the player tries to catch up. The biggest issue for me seems to be if the disc is not spinning fast enough then playback will be choppy, but I have a similar problem with TMT3 only not as bad. I don't know why or how, but it seems PowerDVD is somehow more efficient in reading data from the disc, as when spinning at the same speed a movie might play fine in PDVD but will stutter in TMT3 (and MPC-HC).

I haven't used it all that much, but so far I've only come across one disc that was completely unplayable, and that was the UK release of Serenity. It plays fine for about 10 seconds, then starts to stutter like crazy. If you go back to a section that it has already played (stuttered) through then it'll play fine, up until the point where you last went off. It's like it's processing the movie as it goes, and only until you've processed a section once does it play smoothly. Weird stuff (plays perfectly in PDVD and TMT3 of course).
post #44 of 45 Old 01-13-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paku View Post

it seems PowerDVD is somehow more efficient in reading data from the disc, as when spinning at the same speed a movie might play fine in PDVD but will stutter in TMT3 (and MPC-HC).

This reflects the same experience I have. PDVD8 is the most stable of the methods of playback for me, I click play, 90% of the time it starts straight off smooth and doesn't stop.

TMT3 is very temperamental, it will play smooth initially, but drop frames here and there. But then decide for 10-20 minutes at a time to play perfectly smooth.

MPC-HC actually is sitting about in the middle. It will play perfectly smooth once you get it going smoothly. It has a LOT of trouble starting off initially. I think it improved once I ticked "Alternate V-Sync" or some such option in the output options.

I actually didn't mind using MPC-HC, it's just tricky picking the correct TV episodes off a disc.

The only annoyance I have with PDVD8 is that the BR menu's don't animate as fast or as smooth as TMT3.

Overall though, no method is perfect. But PDVD8 (with Reloaded 3.0 hack for HD-DVD support) is easily the most stable and smoothest of them all.
post #45 of 45 Old 02-13-2010, 01:59 AM

As for Bluray and forced subtitles

I think the problem depends on the splitter, however, goes well that is best viewed with MPCHC but the film I want to see and understand.
In the case of the Bluray of Angels and Demons lose much of the initial dialogue in the laboratory of CERN, when they speak in French, it is depressing that should be used for this PDVD9 which plays the role admirably.

Just to understand these are the graph, PowerDVD9 Vs MPCHC reproducing Angels and Demons

This is the example of Bluray Angels and Demons seen with PowerDVD9 in Italian

Just wondering if there is a system, or another codec to activate these subtitles.

THANKS
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page