IR recevier for HTPC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-25-2009, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've just recently connected my computer to the TV and receiver, and I realized how nice it is to be able to play downloaded movies on the TV instead of having to sit in front of the computer to watch them. The only downside is that I have to get up and use the keyboard and mouse to pause, play, etc. I got the remote that came with my Onkyo 606 to work the TV and DVD player, and I thought it would be nice if I could use it to control the computer too.

So I did some research and apparently you can get an IR receiver to use with an existing remote. USB-UIRT was the best premade option I could find. I also found several sites with instructions on how to make your own. These all required a serial port, which my shiny new computer doesn't have. Considering you can make one for under $20 in parts, it seemed a bit much to be paying $50+S&H for USB-UIRT, which also has a transmitter that I don't need.

It needs to work XBMC, but I think XBMC will connect with LIRC. I'm using windows at the moment, but once I get my second hard drive (it's in the mail right now) I'll be dual booting with ubuntu. I should be able to tinker with LIRC or winLIRC and get it working.

So:

I need a USB IR receiver
I need to be able to use it with existing IR remote (not a learning remote - you need to enter codes to control different devices).
The cheaper the better
I'm capable of tinkering with software and hardware, but I have very little experience with circuit boards and soldering.
Must work with XBMC (through LIRC/winLIRC?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-25-2009, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The MS USB IR receiver should fit your needs just fine. It's "designed" to work with MS's IR MCE keyboard/mouse, but it works just fine with my Harmony remote and I see no reason why it shouldn't work with your existing remote as well. The drivers are easily obtained from the Microsoft download site (that's assuming they don't install automatically) and the rest of the work would simply have to be done on your end to either program your remote or any remote frontend you may be using.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." - Arthur C. Clarke
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page