How to get digital output from my computer?? Gateway DX4640, Vista 64bit, Realtek. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-27-2009, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,
I just bought my first Media Center PC, HTPC. It is a Gateway DX4640-UBC01A0 w/TV tuner and HDMI output.

Everything works fine, and I'm getting used to working with a HTPC, as opposed to using cable or directv.

Anyway, my problem is I received the computer, but I can't get my digital output to work. I have a Realtek sound card with Integrated 8-Channel (7.1) High Definition Audio.

This digital audio is output via 1/8" phone jacks. Anywone have these their HTPC?

I hooked my HDTV output to my plasma, and the 1/8" digital output for L/R to my PeachTree Audio Decco Integrated Amplifier.

Anyway, when I go into Vista and enable the digital output, I get nothing. Anyone have any pointers on how to get my digital output working?

When I run the test in Vista, I see the volume bars moving, but I hear nothing through the speakers. Am I missing something?

Do I need a new sound card?

Thanks in advance.

Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-27-2009, 09:58 PM

You mean Toslink?

Have you messed with the Realtek control panel?

I'm using Coaxial on mine, but I'm not using Realtek's drivers, as I couldn't get them to support 7.1, but the default Vista drivers did it just fine
post #3 of 5 Old 03-28-2009, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGOvoruhk View Post

You mean Toslink?

Have you messed with the Realtek control panel?

I'm using Coaxial on mine, but I'm not using Realtek's drivers, as I couldn't get them to support 7.1, but the default Vista drivers did it just fine

No I mean spdif out via 1/8". Well actually the connector on the back of the computer is 1/8" terminated. The manual says this a spdif output. It loos like a headphone/microphone 1/8" input. So have a toslink cable going to my integrated amp, w/the end connected to the computer using a toslink to 1/8" adapter.

I have messed w/ the Control Panel nothing worked. I have not messed drivers yet though, didn't want screw anything up.

Thomas
post #4 of 5 Old 03-28-2009, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

More specs on my computer. It has:
  • Intel Intel® Core2 Duo Processor E4700
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® 7100 chipset
  • MSI NVIDIA MCP73PV Motherboard
  • NVIDIA GeForce 7100 integrated graphics
  • Integrated 8-Channel (7.1) High Definition Audio
  • Controlled by Realtek ALC888S which supports
  • 7.1 channels audio out# Compliant with Azalia Spec, there is an internal connection on the motherboard for # Two SPDIF-Out connectors
So I know it supports 7.1 output via the back 1/8" connectors. Problem is, I'm not sure if it supports digital output (7.1) via the 1.8" rear connector (1/8" side speaker output, which is label spdif in the manual.)

Thomas
post #5 of 5 Old 03-28-2009, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that you need a spdif out bracket/adapter that attaches to the spdif out pins on your motherboard. The problem is finding one. I would try your mobo manufacturer's site first or google on how to make one. googling "spdif out adapter" gives hundreds of hits of folks looking for these things. I think most end up getting a cheap sound card.

BB

New wealth is created in 2 ways:
You dig it from the ground (mining and oil)
Or you grow it (fishing, farming and forestry).
Everything else is just processing what you dug up or grew.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page