Netflix upscaling on HTPC - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-09-2009, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow. I am going to have reevaluate them then. I only rent about 1 per week... and sometimes 2.

My blockbuster account is still on hold, but I could reactivate it. I looked at their plans and I could go back to them with the same 1 per week and get 2 free rentals per month for $11.99. About $1 more per month as I think I am playing 9.99 now.

For me this is looking worse and worse again.
  • $2 more for BD (Bb doesn't charge more)
  • Blockbuster has started selling their surplus BDs... so visiting would give me an excuse to buy a few more
  • I just like Blockbuster better... I still see netflix as some uncaring organization, Atleast the people in my local store are really nice when I stop in.
  • Quality is not as good on demand, selection is pretty limited after a while, the silverlight won't work with W7 MC very well other than opening it up.

Not bashing netflix... I still prefer them both to just renting from a B&M store only or redbox, but I just hate the idea of paying more for a disk that really shouldn't cost more seeing that they are much more durable. sigh. Why do they make us play these games?

As much I do see value in the watch instantly, it is starting to become like cable to me. Anyone else look through the list and have trouble finding something you haven't already watched or have no interest in? The only think I used to find hand was the TV show feature, but most shows are on the studio websites now in better quality. Yes, there are commercials, but I actually like some of the commercials and the kids get a kick out of them. Especially this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwPidlEskrk

The kids actually sing alone with it.

HD DVD: 45 SD DVD: 350 BR: 120
PCs: 12, Mame Arcade:1, HD HTPC: 1, WHS Server: 1, HD A3: 2, HD-A30: 1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2009, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Blockbuster is in serious financial trouble and is about to go the way of the wind... and Hollywood Video...

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
Old 04-09-2009, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

Blockbuster is in serious financial trouble and is about to go the way of the wind... and Hollywood Video...

That will be a sad day if BB folds...that being said I haven't been to a Blockbuster in 2 or 3 years. Their business model is dying, they needed to change rapidly to keep up with the netflix/streaming model and they didn't.

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
Old 04-09-2009, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Same here with the dislike of the Silverlight player switch. A while back I went to log in for on Demand playback after reinstalling the OS on a computer and it gave me some kind of error message when trying to get to the on demand video and said that upgrading to the Silverlight player would solve it. From then on my other two computers started using Silverlight for on demand and the picture quality went down significantly vs the old WMP implementation. This makes me very unhappy.

Whereas I would actully sit and watch something, on demand, on the big TV before it is now totally unacceptable as anything more than having it on while I am doing other things (usually now I will have it on in a small window of the second monitor while working on photos in the den, etc.) But it is too choppy, too much tearing in pans, and the all out PQ is too bad to actually sit and "watch" it anymore. And that is sad.

I still like Netflix, it beats having to go to Hollywood to pick up and drop off discs, and even with the new price increase for Blu Rays, I feel their pricing is still a good deal, its just sad to see the their on demand regressing.

Lastly, BlockBuster can die of gonorrhea and go straight to hell. I will not miss them one bit. I always felt dirty, like I needed to take a shower, after coming out of one of those stores. The people they employed were creepier than SIDS.

-Suntan
Old 04-09-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 View Post

just a side note, i got an email to day that one of the movies in my queue was out of stock at my local hub, so they sent the next dvd on the list, plus in addition they are sending me the other dvd from another hub, on top of the two aleady have out. Its the little things...

Really? Wow. I've been a Netflix 3-out-at-a-time customer since 1999, and Netflix has never done me a favor like that.

And speaking of the Blu-ray price increase, my e-mail said my cost is going up $3. So in addition to the $1 I'm paying now, that's a $4 price adder for Blu-ray. Still, Netflix is so convenient that I'll gladly pay it. I haven't set foot in a brick-and-mortar video rental store in a decade, and I love it!

See my antique radio collection at Radiophile.com
Old 04-09-2009, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [LIST View Post

[*]$2 more for BD (Bb doesn't charge more)[*]Blockbuster has started selling their surplus BDs... so visiting would give me an excuse to buy a few more [*]I just like Blockbuster better... I still see netflix as some uncaring organization, Atleast the people in my local store are really nice when I stop in.[*]Quality is not as good on demand, selection is pretty limited after a while, the silverlight won't work with W7 MC very well other than opening it up.[/list]

It is actually $3 more than the DVD plan
Where I live (Western PA), I have problem getting BDs on time, I have not yet got Changeling for example , even though it is #1 in the list. (Shows long wait or very long wait) If I switch to DVD is shows "Now".
Old 04-09-2009, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Blu-ray rate increase is dependent on the plan you have/how many movies out you have at a time. I only have the 2-at-a-time so mine only increases by $2 ($1 -> $3).
Old 04-09-2009, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Reading some of the hate for Blockbuster makes me wonder if everyone realizes that their online plan works the same as Netflix with three differences.
  • There shipping time is about a day later. but I usually only go through one per week anyway.
  • They are Cheaper. You can get a 1 at a time Bb plan, including BDs for 8.99. 3 at a time for $15.99
  • They don't have free live streaming, BUT they do have an exchange program for a little more OR you can download your movie from them in HQ and keep it on your HDD as long as you want similar to Itunes.

Here is the link:

http://www.blockbuster.com/download

In fact they have a special. Rent 25 downloads from Bb for $99 and you get a free media player.

more info

http://www.blockbuster.com/outlet/electronics/onDemand

For me at 96", netflix watch instantly is no longer a value. You have to pay 2x as much for the xbox I believe. I think I am going to switch this week. sorry netflix.... again.

PS: Blockbuster is not going to go under. They are just going to file for bankruptcy. This probably means they will break their franchise agreements with their brick and mortor stores and go with an online model which they have now. From what I have read, most local franchises will fall, but some will become independents while working out an agreement to keep the blocbkuster name.

I see Redbox as a bigger problem for B&M Bbs than netflix. In theory they are cheaper... unless you are like me and usually wait a week before returning the movie. That $1 per day really adds up.

HD DVD: 45 SD DVD: 350 BR: 120
PCs: 12, Mame Arcade:1, HD HTPC: 1, WHS Server: 1, HD A3: 2, HD-A30: 1