Vista Ultimate does not see S Video Input - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-08-2009, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a new HTPC setup and I am now very confused. Here is what I got:

Vista Ultimate, Avermedia A180, Direct TV H20 HD receiver. I connected my direct TV receiver's SVideo output to the S video input on the Avermedia
A180. When I go to media center setup, Vista looks for over the air channels and does not see the TV signal on the S Video input of the tuner. Why so? I understand, my direct tv box is a tuner, but how can I get the signal out from the satellite box into my media pc box? I even tried getting the signals using RCA connection of the set up box and the tuner card, but even that does not work. I do not see any option to change the TV signal input on Vista Ultimate.

I also understand that I will need IR blaster to change channels on the set up box, but first can some one help me get the tv signal into my media pc box?

Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-09-2009, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Bump...anyone can answer this ?
post #3 of 15 Old 04-10-2009, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

You need to do a manual setup and make sure you have selected "Satellite" as your source.

Chris
post #4 of 15 Old 04-10-2009, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Are you sure you are trying to use the analog tuner on the 180 card and not the digital tuner? It sounds like you are trying to receive OTA digital signals instead of analog S-video signals.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-10-2009, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL01 View Post

You need to do a manual setup and make sure you have selected "Satellite" as your source.

Chris

I do not see any way to select a source in Vista Ultimate. Where is that option?
post #6 of 15 Old 04-10-2009, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Are you sure you are trying to use the analog tuner on the 180 card and not the digital tuner? It sounds like you are trying to receive OTA digital signals instead of analog S-video signals.

I think A180 is a single tuner card. I do get any option to select analog tuner. Is it true that you have to have a analog tuner to receive signals into media center? Can't a digital tuner like A18o just receive the signal from direct tv receiver?
post #7 of 15 Old 04-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deallover View Post

I think A180 is a single tuner card. I do get any option to select analog tuner. Is it true that you have to have a analog tuner to receive signals into media center? Can't a digital tuner like A18o just receive the signal from direct tv receiver?

This card does NOT have an analog tuner, it only has a digital tuner for using either with an ATSC (over the air digital signals) or QAM (unencrypted cable digital signals). It does have the capability to capture analog signals but you have to use it's own software or a third party software that supports this type of capture card. Vista Media Center only sees the card digital tuner and that is the only thing that will be used under media center.

No, you cannot use a digital tuner to capture/view analog signal coming from your directv box. Analog and digital signals do not mix, if that were the case then this whole digital transition thing going on right now would not be such a big deal.

Yes, you have to have an analog tuner for media center to be able to capture analog signals and not just any analog tuner card. You have to have a card that has an on onboard mpeg2 encoder chip. A lot of analog tuner cards are software only (meaning they expect the software to do the encoding). You really have to be careful when choosing a tuner card. Know exactly what type of signals you want to capture.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-10-2009, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The 180 is a hybrid tuner card and can not support analog and digital tuner input concurently. Therefore both anaalog and digital can not be confitured in Media Center. And if running MCE2005 to configure the digital tuner you have to have a separate analog tuner already configured.
You can use the AVER TV-6 application to receive analog TV or DVD content over S-video instead of using Media Center. See the following Link:

http://www.aver.com/mpd/a180_wb_101606.pdf
post #9 of 15 Old 04-10-2009, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor View Post

This card does NOT have an analog tuner, it only has a digital tuner for using either with an ATSC (over the air digital signals) or QAM (unencrypted cable digital signals). It does have the capability to capture analog signals but you have to use it's own software or a third party software that supports this type of capture card. Vista Media Center only sees the card digital tuner and that is the only thing that will be used under media center.

No, you cannot use a digital tuner to capture/view analog signal coming from your directv box. Analog and digital signals do not mix, if that were the case then this whole digital transition thing going on right now would not be such a big deal.

Yes, you have to have an analog tuner for media center to be able to capture analog signals and not just any analog tuner card. You have to have a card that has an on onboard mpeg2 encoder chip. A lot of analog tuner cards are software only (meaning they expect the software to do the encoding). You really have to be careful when choosing a tuner card. Know exactly what type of signals you want to capture.

Ok so can you please tell me which card I should get to receive the signal from my Direct TV HD receiver into my media center so that I can record them? I still do not understand why I need a tuner because my Direct TV HD receiver is a tuner. Why can't Avermedia A180 just receive the signal through the S Video input and let Vista Ultimate handle the rest?
post #10 of 15 Old 04-11-2009, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok so can you please tell me which card I should get to receive the signal from my Direct TV HD receiver into my media center so that I can record them? I still do not understand why I need a tuner because my Direct TV HD receiver is a tuner. Why can't Avermedia A180 just receive the signal through the S Video input and let Vista Ultimate handle the rest?

The problem isn't so much the card as it is Media Center. Media center has some very specific requirements before it will work with an analog video card. As I said, the card does have the capability to record the analog signal coming through the s-video the problem is you can't use media center to do it. you have to use the software that supports the analog input of the video card like the software that came with the card. Also, I noticed you have an HD satellite receiver, does that mean you want to record the HD stuff because that is not possible with the card you got regardless of the other issues you are having.
post #11 of 15 Old 04-12-2009, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The problem isn't so much the card as it is Media Center. Media center has some very specific requirements before it will work with an analog video card. As I said, the card does have the capability to record the analog signal coming through the s-video the problem is you can't use media center to do it. you have to use the software that supports the analog input of the video card like the software that came with the card. Also, I noticed you have an HD satellite receiver, does that mean you want to record the HD stuff because that is not possible with the card you got regardless of the other issues you are having.

Yes, I have a HD receiver and I thought if I brought the HD signal through the S Video input of Avermedia, it will no longer be considered as digital and I will be able to record it using WMC. Am I making correct assumptions? Is it impossible to do so without spending tons on money?

So what do you suggest? Just use media center to record OTA signals? What should I do if I want to record channels which are not OTA and I receive through Direct TV?
post #12 of 15 Old 04-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, I have a HD receiver and I thought if I brought the HD signal through the S Video input of Avermedia, it will no longer be considered as digital and I will be able to record it using WMC. Am I making correct assumptions? Is it impossible to do so without spending tons on money?

So what do you suggest? Just use media center to record OTA signals? What should I do if I want to record channels which are not OTA and I receive through Direct TV?

If you bring the HD signal through the s-video then it will no longer be in HD resolutions. S-video does not have the bandwidth to carry HD resolutions. You can get the signal and record it through S-video but it will no longer be HD. That is why you can only connect your HD DVR to your tv by using either HDMI or component if you want HD.

Recording HD from OTA in media center is the simplest and least expensive way as long as you understand you will only be getting your local channels in HD. Getting HD from your directv receiver gets a lot more expensive and complicated. The only consumer device that can even do that is called the HD PVR by Hauppgauge. It has component inputs and can record up to 1080i. It is about two hundred dollars and it is currently NOT supported by media center so you'll have to use different software. Choices are very limited when it comes to HD I am afraid.

The bottom line is this. You cannot view/record HD channels from your directv receiver with media center.
post #13 of 15 Old 04-12-2009, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If you bring the HD signal through the s-video then it will no longer be in HD resolutions. S-video does not have the bandwidth to carry HD resolutions. You can get the signal and record it through S-video but it will no longer be HD. That is why you can only connect your HD DVR to your tv by using either HDMI or component if you want HD.

Recording HD from OTA in media center is the simplest and least expensive way as long as you understand you will only be getting your local channels in HD. Getting HD from your directv receiver gets a lot more expensive and complicated. The only consumer device that can even do that is called the HD PVR by Hauppgauge. It has component inputs and can record up to 1080i. It is about two hundred dollars and it is currently NOT supported by media center so you'll have to use different software. Choices are very limited when it comes to HD I am afraid.

The bottom line is this. You cannot view/record HD channels from your directv receiver with media center.

Thanks a lot for all the details. I really appreciate it. So if the signal through S Video is no longer HD because of S Video limitations, why can't Media center record those channels. I am ready to record/view them as analog. But his darn media center by default looks for OTA channels on the Averemdia card. I connected an antenna to the input just to test and I an view the local channels but I do not want that. I want to view/record S Video signals. The only question which still remains unanswered for me is: how to force media center to look for the signals on S video input rather to try to tune OTA channels. Media center does not give me any option to choose the input on my tuner.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

I already told you. Media center does NOT support the ANALOG side of your card. It only supports the DIGITAL side of your card that is why you don't see any option for analog capture. You need to get a different analog card that is supported by media center. Something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815116007. Media center will support both the analog and digital side of this card. There are plenty of others as well, just make sure that the card has two fully functional tuners. These cards are also known as Combo cards which means they have two separate coax inputs (one for analog and the other for digital). The card you got is known as a hybrid tuner and only the digital side works under media center because it does not have a separate analog encoder chip.

The card you got does NOT have an analog ENCODER chip. For analog to work under media center you MUST have a card with an analog encoder chip. I don't know how else I can explain it.
post #15 of 15 Old 04-12-2009, 07:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you have a Hybrid card that does not have an encoder chip there aret software encoders available from some card vendors or from a European vendor(sorry i don't currently have the link) that will enable the analog tuner to be used in MC. This is because MC its self has no idea what the actual card can do to since it only interfaces with the cards drivers and not with the card itself.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page