Ati 4550 DVI + HDMI Extended Desktop/Cloning Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-09-2009, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Everyone,

I have spent my last two days trying to figure out a solution for my problem. Maybe someone has an idea whats wrong.

When the Gigabyte Ati 4550 card is in and the system boots up i have signal on both the Acer LCD/(on DVI out) and on the HDTV/(on HDMI out).
Before installing the ati drivers I had the default Win XP driver and I still had the desktop on both LCDs. It was in clone mode. After installing the ATI driver I still had the signal but then I opened the Control Center. If I press anything in there (change cloning to extended or horizontal scretch) I lose signal on the HDTV and it never comes back. If I press swap display I will have signal on the TV but not on the LCD. From that points its ONLY the TV or ONLY the LCD. I restored the system and tried reinstalling everything.. Same scenario.. Once I have the catalyst opened I have only one output.

By the way CCC recognized the LCD and the TV too.. both enabled set to their resolution.. everything seems fine... Tried the newest catalyst, and tried older ones too.
What could be the problem? Anyone ever had similar?

Thanks
Mory,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-10-2009, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Is the resolution that you have set for the output to the HDTV one that it will accept over HDMI such as 720p or 1080i? When in clone mode you are sending the the LCD resolution to both the LCD and the HDTV. When it extended desktop mode you send the resoluitions you have set up separatly to the two displays.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-10-2009, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

When in extended its set to 1680*1050 for the LCD and 1920*1080 for the HDTV.. but in clone i use 1680x1050... ALso tried lowering both.. didnt change..

I have an update though: the best i could get is i install catalyst driver (without control center) and click extend my desktop to secondary monitor on the windows display properties panel + set resolutions.. This wasy On the LCD its OK and the HDTV is extended and works!.. BUT if i turn off the tv and turn back on it wont work anymore.. I have to restore the system so that it works again.
post #4 of 9 Old 04-10-2009, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

When in extrended mode are you outpuitting 1080i/60 or 1080p/60 or 1080o/24 to the HDTV?
I am not surprised that in clone mode that you have trouble with 1680x1050 since that is a PC resolution and not a TV resolution and is probably not accepted over HDMI/DVI by most HDTVs.
Which display it the primry display in extended desktop mode?
post #5 of 9 Old 04-10-2009, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

In extended mode i use 1080p ...I changed some stuff in the registry so I ended up having signal only on the Philips TV on HDMI.. 1920x1080 but there is nothing on my regular LCD. Its active on the CCC but there is no signal. resolution is set to 1680x1050 and that would be the secondary screen. If I unplug the TV the LCD doesnt come alive. I need to reboot and have DVI connected only to get signal on my LCD..
When i have the screen on the TV only i can set it to 1680x1050 too.. its fine with the tv.

Thanks
post #6 of 9 Old 04-10-2009, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

I figured out a way to get it work.. My Acer is on VGA and the HDTV is through DVI to HDMI cable.. It really seems like that with the ATI driver i cant opearate the DVI and thd HDMI at the same time for some reason. (Although they should work at the same time because in safe mode or during bootup i had image on both screens)
Thanks
post #7 of 9 Old 04-28-2010, 12:42 PM

Been having the same issue for over a year.

card: GIGABYTE GV-R435OC-512I Radeon HD 4350 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16
TV: samsung (LNT 4042)
Monitor: Gateway FPD2275W

The only way i could get it to work all the time (with any driver version) is to make the HDTV primary monitor and the DVI monitor the secondary, mirrored. This sucks because i can't use theater mode (where the video is full screen on the second display while being able to still work on the PC monitor).

The other way that used to work with older 8.x and 9.x drivers: plug in both VGA and DVI into the monitor and HDMI into HDTV. have the DVI primary and HDTV secondary. then i would drag the VGA icon over the primary DVI to swap devices, but i would let it time out after 15 seconds to return to the old settings. This would let me use the DVI+HDMI until the next standy/reboot of computer.

would be nice if anyone had a solution to fix these cards - maybe some hidden registry key.

Samsung 40" LN-T4042H (FW 1030 / HW 1005)
Zenith DTT901 (Oct 08) + Analog TV
post #8 of 9 Old 04-28-2010, 05:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

When in clone mode the respolution of the primary display is sent to the secondary diisplay regardless of what you have the resolution of the secondary display set to.
The only way to use separate resolutions is to use extended desktop mode.
Many users put copyies of ghe Icon from their primry display also on the extended desktop so that they can run the application on either display.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-26-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdiyer View Post

Been having the same issue for over a year.

card: GIGABYTE GV-R435OC-512I Radeon HD 4350 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16
TV: samsung (LNT 4042)
Monitor: Gateway FPD2275W

The only way i could get it to work all the time (with any driver version) is to make the HDTV primary monitor and the DVI monitor the secondary, mirrored. This sucks because i can't use theater mode (where the video is full screen on the second display while being able to still work on the PC monitor).

The other way that used to work with older 8.x and 9.x drivers: plug in both VGA and DVI into the monitor and HDMI into HDTV. have the DVI primary and HDTV secondary. then i would drag the VGA icon over the primary DVI to swap devices, but i would let it time out after 15 seconds to return to the old settings. This would let me use the DVI+HDMI until the next standy/reboot of computer.

would be nice if anyone had a solution to fix these cards - maybe some hidden registry key.

Thank you SO much for posting this fix. I have been pulling my hair out trying to get this to just simply output to my HDTV and your advice did the trick! I agree, I wish you could make the HTDV in theater mode work, but for now this works. Thanks!!!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page