Recording Cancelled on VMC because of restrictions set by the broadcaster - AVS Forum
Home Theater Computers > Recording Cancelled on VMC because of restrictions set by the broadcaster
mdahu's Avatar mdahu 07:16 AM 04-19-2009
Hello everyone,

I've been having this issue for a while. It was only happening when trying to record the E! news for my wife. Randomly, a few episodes of E! news wouldn't record, or the recording would stop half way through it. I would get the following message "Restrictions that were set by the broadcaster or originator of the content prohibited the show from being recorded."
I didn't care because it was only happening to that show. But now, it has canceled the recording of my Formula 1 race. I am pissed. Again, it's random. It canceled half of the qualifying race 2 wks ago, and canceled the actual race this week. The funny thing is that is recorded a replay of the qualifying race without trouble later in the day.

I tried searching online and couldn't find a fix. The closest discussion to my trouble was found on the greenbutton forum "AVSforum is preventing me from posting the URL, search for greenbutton Copying Prohibited (works again!) " but when I tried installing KB956147 , it told me the update doesn't apply for my set up.

My set up,
Vista home premium 32bit
VMC with TV pack fiji package installed
Hauppauge 2250 with one tuner recording digital qam and the other analog cable.

cybrsage's Avatar cybrsage 07:17 AM 04-19-2009
I ran into this in the past, when I was recording football. I did not find a way around it.

It was with Comcast Cable.
mdahu's Avatar mdahu 01:07 PM 04-19-2009
I am using Comcast too. I feel this is a glitch though rather than true DRM because of its lack of consistency. They are going to replay the race I missed this afternoon. Let's see if it records that.
mdahu's Avatar mdahu 05:24 PM 04-19-2009
Yep, recorded the race this time without a hitch........what the??? why can't Vista Media Center just work?
BigLan's Avatar BigLan 08:50 PM 04-19-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdahu View Post

Yep, recorded the race this time without a hitch........what the??? why can't Vista Media Center just work?

The problem is with your cable company - they're setting the 'do not record' flag on this broadcast incorrectly and you should call them about it to complain (or better, send an email to an executive in the corporate office who might actually care.) VMC is the only program that honors this flag (AFAIK) so if you want to avoid it in the future, you could switch to media portal or sage or beyondTV. I think that setting a manual recording in VMC could also get around it.
gorthocar's Avatar gorthocar 06:38 AM 04-20-2009
I remember this issue popping up around a year ago. NBC put the do-not-record flag in a couple of their shows (Medium? Others?), and VMC did not record them. Then it came out that Microsoft VMC does honor the do-not-record flag, even though legally they don't have to.
Up
Mobile  Desktop