Xbox 360 Video Capture hardware setup question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-27-2009, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I'm new to the forums, and I had a question about what video capture hardware I needed for my purposes. If there is are threads out there that you think I should read, please don't hesitate to let me know, I do not mind reading them (but if they're long threads please at least tell me which pages to look at...I'd rather not read through 14 pages just to get to the 15th page with relevant info). I also could not find my question answered elsewhere.
So without further ado, here is my question:

I would like to record gaming footage from my Xbox 360. For those of you who do not know, the Xbox has Yellow Red White (RCA?), Component, and HDMI outputs. My requirement for the footage is that it should capture at around 30 fps, definitely not fewer than 20 fps. There cannot be any discernible lag while actually using the device...i.e., if I am playing I still need it to function at 60fps and have no input lag regardless of what fps it actually saves the video at.

I currently have a computer that is hooked up to the TV through HDMI, it has an AMD 4850e (2.5ghz), 4gb RAM, lots of HD space, and a AMD 780g chipset mobo, with a Hauppauge WinTV 1800. I have Vista x64 and may possibly upgrade to Windows 7 x64.
This current setup fails in that I get way too much input lag from the S-Video input.

I am not averse to purchasing new hardware, or using something completely separate from my computer.

The only information I have found so far that is related to my problem is in the Guide to Building a HD HTPC (under Capture Device) (sorry I can't post a link, I don't have a large enough post count).

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-27-2009, 06:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I'd take a look at the Hauppauge HD PVR. It can record 720p60 if you set the Xbox to that. It has direct passthrough on the box (so no lag), and captures to H.264.

You could split the S/Video and run it to the TV and the PC, but the quality will not be great (S/VIDEO). I'd guess you'll have the lag problem trying to record through the PC regardless of solution you choose.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #3 of 6 Old 04-28-2009, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. So in either case, if I'm getting this correct, the Xbox display is not going to the computer before going to the TV. With the Hauppauge HD PVR, it looks like it sends the display on to the TV and then sends the encoded stuff to the computer via USB 2.0. Is that the basic jist of it? Also, how much footage can it hold? Obviously this depends on the encoding preferences, but I saw a 2 hour number thrown around...would this be realistic for something encoded at a decent youtubable resolution and 30 fps?
post #4 of 6 Old 04-28-2009, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gig4ls View Post

Thanks for the response. So in either case, if I'm getting this correct, the Xbox display is not going to the computer before going to the TV. With the Hauppauge HD PVR, it looks like it sends the display on to the TV and then sends the encoded stuff to the computer via USB 2.0. Is that the basic jist of it?

Yes the video passes right through the box, which makes an encoded "copy" which goes to the PC.

Quote:

Also, how much footage can it hold? Obviously this depends on the encoding preferences, but I saw a 2 hour number thrown around...

It doesn't hold anything, the "PVR" moniker is a bit of a misnomer, it's just a capture device, it's up to the PC to store it.
Quote:

would this be realistic for something encoded at a decent youtubable resolution and 30 fps?

It will do 720p60 if you want (or 1080i60, or 480p60, or basically anything the Xbox will output over component). But if you're just looking to stick stuff on low-quality youtube it's quite overkill.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #5 of 6 Old 04-28-2009, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

But if you're just looking to stick stuff on low-quality youtube it's quite overkill.

In which case I'm guessing the suggestion would be to get a signal splitter?
post #6 of 6 Old 04-28-2009, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Or I think the component dongle on the 360 has component and composite connections, run one to your TV and the other to the PC. If you don't care about HD then there isn't much point going with the HD PVR.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page