XP not showing / playing HD Media - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-28-2009, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First of all, I've been working on this problem for a couple of days. I apoligize if the answer is somewhere obvious and I haven't found it. Believe me, I've been looking.

I've been having problems getting my computer to recognize and play both blu-ray and hd-dvds. I'm using a newly installed LG GGW-H20L .

Computer:
HP A1430n (AMD X2 3800) With 3 GB of Ram
Nvidia Graphics (GIGABYTE GV-NX76T256D-RH GeForce 7600GT 256MB)
Samsung 204B-SV Monitor, connected via DVI cable / (Also Panasonic G10 plasma via DVI/HDMI converter cable.)
Windows XP Media Center Edition, SP3. Graphic drivers have been updated to the most recent.

Prior to this HiDef upgrade, I had been using Nero 7 or Windows Media Center to view SD DVDs with no video or sound output problems to either Samsung Monitor or Panasonic TV.

Windows Explorer recognizes the drive letter for the LG HD, but never shows the disc title (i.e, STAR_WARS) when a disc is inserted in the drive. It DOES recognize a standard def disk when inserted. When I open CONTROL PANEL / SYSTEM / HARDWARE, windows says the LG HD drive is functioning normally.

I''m using Slysoft's AnyDVD HD. It will write an .img file of a blu-ray disk to my hard drive. (I don't know if the image is readable because I haven't been able to read it with any software). AnyDVD HD scans a blu-ray or hd-dvd disk and recognizes the disc correctly by title, but this information is not updated in Windows Explorer.

To further complicate things, when I run the Cyberlink Utility to see if my system is capable of playing HD/Blu-ray, it says my graphics driver is out of date and my monitor is not HDCP compliant. Nvidia has a untility on their website verifies that my graphics driver is the most current one. True Enough, my monitor is not HDCP compliant, but I thought AnyDVD HD was supposed bypass HDCP.

The Cyberlink upgrade for PowerDVD gives the same results. Tried using the trial version of PowerDVD from Cyberlink's website with the same result.

Tried downloading Corel's software, only to discover the demo version does not contain HD capability. Thought about upgrading to Nero HD, but I'm cheap and don't want to spend the money if I don't have to.

I'm still able to play standard def dvd's.

I've ordered a new graphics card (HIS Hightech H260XTP512DDN-R Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB) which should help playback (should that day ever come!), but I can't help feeling that XP's inablitly to recognize HD disks that are loading is not related to my graphics card.)

I have serveral questions:

Is there a Windows XP component or add-on that I need?

Why won't Windows Explorer show the disc title when a disc is inserted?

Is there any to read blu-ray or hd-dvds in Windows Media Center?

Are there any known driver conflicts with Nvida and PowerDVD?

And finally (and most important) does anyone have a guess as to what's happening, or has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks for reading this post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-28-2009, 05:01 AM

I just got over a similar problem....my drive is doing the same thing..no title for the movie and shows as a cd drive. I finally downloaded arcsoft totalmedia (Powerdvd9 trial crashes as soon as i try to play) and tried to access the drive, a video card error appeared. No video overlay. finally i went to nvidias website and downloaded the newest driver direct and then it works...after that i had some sound problems but sorted them out. I have a geforce 8400gs card, hope this helps
post #3 of 5 Old 04-28-2009, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, it sounds like your problem might be related problems. PowerDVD was crashing immediately when I tried it too. I finally uninstalled and re-installed the graphics card. Now it doesn't crash, but it still doesn't recognize that there is a disk in the drive.

I might try Arcsoft's software, but since I have a new video card on order from Newegg, I'll wait and see if the problem is solved with a newer card. The 7600gt is about as low as you can go and support blu-ray.

Thanks again for the feeback. I'll post my results when I get the new card or solve the problem, whichever comes first.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-28-2009, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I believe the OP's problem is that XP 32 bit doesn't show the contents of HD media without the installation of a special UDF 2.5 driver. See this thread: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=15597)?

I had the same problem, and this solved it for me. Post #10 has the easiest download/install method.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-28-2009, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the info, downloaded the driver and installed the .inf file as per instructions. Worked like a charm, explorer is now recognizing the directory structure of the disks. Still not able to actually VIEW anything, but I can skip through chapters using Arcsoft's player. I'm getting the video overlay error message that gpzjack mentioned above. I'm getting a new graphics card via UPS tomorrow, hopefully this will solve the problem.

Thanks again...
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page